Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Dr. Fetus posted:

A shame too, it had a good skillset, but the way the game was balanced made it so that there was no reason to use one. I still used one in my first playthrough since the blond female portrait is my second favorite class portrait in the series.

By the way.

You all created a monster. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

Knowing Landsknecht that number won't go much higher probably. :(

Also yeah, that's a pretty good portrait but I still like the red-haired Landsknecht portrait more than any other one. The EO2 one that we've seen here is my favorite portrait in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dr. Fetus posted:

A shame too, it had a good skillset, but the way the game was balanced made it so that there was no reason to use one. I still used one in my first playthrough since the blond female portrait is my second favorite class portrait in the series.

By the way.

You all created a monster. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

:gizz:

That is all

Kemix fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 9, 2015

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.

Kemix posted:

:gizz:

That is all

But Nick isn't even in the party, I don't get it.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Tell me Emilia is using axes right now. That way this will be extra appropriate. :black101:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Transient People posted:

Tell me Emilia is using axes right now. That way this will be extra appropriate. :black101:

Next update. I forgot that Chaser skills do not have speed modifiers and always go first. So I forgot to equip her with an axe.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
One of the best features of this LP is seeing how many combos can actually work. In EO2 of all places. As EO3 chat spot-on-ly mentioned, it's such a wonderful thing that the newer games let you win with the team you want (mostly). With some skill planning, if five of the most random-rear end portraits hit you as Your. Absolute. Team. You can usually make a go of it.

To post-game at least :getin:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I'm actually somewhat curious as to the viability of Alchemists and Landsknechts when going up against a certain trio. Most of their huge falloff comes from a decrease in elemental weaknesses and considering the numbers we're shoveling out now and that they only have 12000 HP in this game it might be interesting to see how that plays out.

Or you could just die within the first few turns like those fights usually go.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

your Absolute Team should always consist of as many anime references as you can think of

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Conflict of Interest

Here's the party we're going with for the 2nd half of the Stratum. I did end up relocating Gilbert's points around. Mostly removing any points in Stamina and moving them to Health.

PC-88 Version

Wow, what a fantastic start.

At least head binds won't stop me from doing what I want to show off. So let's show off how chasers work.

: Hey, Fedot. I wanna try out that new move I've been practicing. Soooo, ready when you are!

: Alright, might as well.

: I shall assist too!

: I'm ready! You guys ready?

Chasers always go first. They don't have a speed modifier. This can't be overwritten by 1st Turn either, so don't be afraid to use that skill if you have it.

: Blood shall be spilled!

Gilbert's gonna be providing the fuel for Emilia's chasers.

: Light the fire up in the night!

: Alright, go Emilia!

: :saddowns:

Unfortunately, chasers can still miss. And if the attack that's supposed to proc the chaser misses, the chaser won't kick in.

: Alright, let's see. Gotta mix this together. Aha!

I had Fedot use Fireshot here. Oh, and it deals a decent amount of damage without eating up a ton of TP. At level 1. Looking at you, Alchemist.

: Didn't see me coming, did you?

Emilia's chaser kicked in here. Those skills target everything on the field, but it only strikes the enemies that got hit with the right element. It can actually chase AOEs, so we could have Bellamy use one of his tier 3 spells, and Emilia has a chance of hitting everything it hit. Once a chaser fails to proc, that's it. There won't be anymore chases.

So that's how chasers work. They were pretty terrible in EO1, only activating once. Since EO2, they can activate multiple times, although how often is dependent on the RNG. EO4 replaced them with Links because one chaser skill ended up being completely overpowered in EO3, while all the others were overlooked. Chasers did reappear in the remakes. Unfortunately the main problem with them is that you have to build a team around them to get the most out of them. Otherwise they end up becoming weird unwieldy elemental attacks.

PC-88 Version

There's an Armoth in the next area.

Two in fact.

I stocked up on some Sleep Bells because I want their drops. I wouldn't bother with this if Nick was in the party, but I really want that extra turn.

PC-88 Version

: Like the shining stars light the path whenever it's dark...

: Take that, vile creature!

: It's just an elephant.

: An evil elephant!

Hmm, that is some nice damage, but I wonder if we can get more out of Emilia.

: Be brave everyone!

Much better. But here's another downside to chasers. Look at Emilia's TP pool. Landsknechts have a tiny TP pool, and chasers burn through it fast. You need to invest in TP for them if you want to use those skills a lot.

Of course I don't get the drop. Again.

Supplies were running low so I went back. I went and upgraded everyone's equipment while I was at it. Also, some swords have the Stab attribute instead of the Cut attribute. Considering that Stab can exploit more weaknesses than the other two physical damage types, I consider this an upgrade. But what I should have done is buy an axe for Emilia. They have the slowest weapon speed in the game, but chasers don't have speed modifiers so that's a moot point.

The other weakness this team has is that we have no AOEs! Mobs are much harder to clear out, especially if a ton of physically resistant enemies show up in battle.

Emilia got a level up at least.

Except I put that skill point in STR Up instead of TP Up! Way to go Fetus.

Let's see if we can squeeze even more damage out of Emilia. War Cry stacked with Warmight, how much damage does that end up dealing?

: HAAAAAA!

What have you all done? You've created a monster.

: :black101:

A very TP hungry monster, but still.

Oh come on!

There's another Armoth in the area to the right.

FINALLY!

After another battle, both Frederik and Fedot level up.

Frederik is close to unlocking Cursecut.

As for Fedot, his TP pool is big enough at the moment, so I level up 2-Hit. It makes it so that his regular attacks, not his skills, have a 5% chance of hitting twice at level 1. Normally I would ignore skills like these, except Gunners have a lot of really bad skills that don't do much for them, or are already covered by another class. Leveling up their elemental shots isn't worth it either since the damage increase is barely worth anything. 125% damage at level 1 to 215% at level 10, whoopee. And the skills they unlock are really terrible unless you're also using a Survivalist. Skills like 2-hit can help him save TP for regular battles.

PC-88 Version

If you go up from there, you'll find the other Take point on this floor.

: How worthless.

I should mention that in the first two games, a lot of the items acted like class skills. In this case, it's an Alchemist's Piercing skill at level 2.

: Hey, there's a hole in the wall here!

: Wasn't there a request to come here?

: Yeah, alone.

: Are you sure you'll be fine by yourself? You don't have to do this.

: I'll be okay. I've taken on some FOEs alone during my time in Etria. This shouldn't be as hard compared to that. Hopefully.

: Ooh! Tell us about that sometime!

: Hmm, I'll think about it.

This is the spot where we need a solo party member to go to for that quest. It won't activate for a 2 to 5 man party. Except the game doesn't tell you this because they forgot to add in a textbox for cases like that. :cripes: All pressing A does is make the check prompt disappear and then reappear.

The fruits are easy enough to pick up and eat, but would that really be wise...?

: Maverick, are these safe to eat?

: I'm not really familiar with this kind of fruit. Fedot?

: Don't ask me.

: They are safe. I will show you.

Frederik volunteers to take a small bite of the fruit. To your surprise, the fruit's bizarre appearance belies its delicious taste!

: Ah, delicious.

: Well what are we waiting for? Let's dig in!

You begin to gorge yourselves on the fruits. Within minutes, the whole crop is gone.

: Ah, what a divine gift from the heavens! What joy I've had from such a delicious meal!

Very handy if you're hurting on HP and TP like I was.

Down here is nothing but a dead end.

: Ah, hello there!

After you call out a greeting, he turns to you and responds.

: Hmm? Oh, explorers. You must be pretty strong... this is one of the higher floors.

: You seem pretty capable. What are you doing here?

: I was an explorer myself, once. I was here when they discovered the Labyrinth. But I got wounded, so I quit, and now here I am. I'm off duty today, so I thought I'd come up here.

You wonder what he's doing here, and whether or not you should inquire about it.

: So why are you up here?

The guard blanches at the question, and mutters a reply...

: Oh, um... I really like liquor. Especially this kind you make from Labyrinth plants.

His words put you in mind of a quest you accepted... You agreed to collect ingredients for Cass's special Labyrinth whiskey. Once you tell him of your quest, the guard perks up.

: Ah, we are looking for ingredients for Cass' special whiskey. Might you know where to find them?

: You're here to look for the same stuff!? So I'm not the only one! Okay, most of it you can get from fighting monsters around this Stratum. But the Death Stems... You'll only find those by chopping.

After he gives you his advice, he disappears into the white forest, as if going into hiding. You decide to proceed based on the information he gave you.

Just a hint for Cass' quest.

There's a Darksoar in the next area.

I want to get a preemptive strike on it, so I move around outside the room so I can sneak up on it from behind.

Like so.

PC-88 Version

: All right, let me at em!

: :mad:

: Who wants some Darksoar wings for dinner?

: Your aiming skills are impressive. How long were you a Gunner before you came to High Lagaard?

: Oh, not that long really. I learned how to use guns after I was done in Etria. But I had plenty of time to practice my aim back then.

Ricochet is pretty much why Gunners can get away with not really investing much in their skills. It's really good physical damage, and if anything resists physical just sic a Hexer on them. Revenge or Dampen will have them die very fast.

PC-88 Version

: That's what it was guarding?

: How disappointing.

A weapon that we can already buy in the store. :geno:

Maverick gets a level up and puts that skill point into Scavenge. I should probably note that with two healers in the party, the team is practically unkillable. Our offense is a bit lacking so having good defense is nice enough to make up for that at this point.

Moving on, we now have a quick shortcut to the end of the floor.

PC-88 Version

Try not to get into a random battle near here. Especially this spot.

: Pfft, this is nothing. I'll cut them all down!

: Uh guys?

: What is it?

Yeah, if a Killclaw joins in at this point, you're done for.

: We're boxed in!

: We are getting out of here! Now!

PC-88 Version

Another shortcut right here.

: Whoa! This is some really strong medicine!

Medica IVs are very rare and can't be bought until the postgame. They restore all of a party member's HP. Essentially it acts like Cure 3.

Bravants aren't as useful on the other hand. They act like a level 3 Warmight, boosting a party member's attack by 25%.

I said our team was unkillable with 2 healers. Not really true when they're out of TP.

: How could this happen?

: I can smell garlic...

Okay, I can fix this. I'll just revive them and have Maverick heal them up.

: I'll never yield.

: I can feel the stake piercing my heart...

OH SCREW YOU! Reviving someone and them having them die on the turn they get revived really ticks me off.

: All right guys! You should be all better now! Oh...

: They needed that a few seconds earlier.

: Yeah, I can see that.

This is why I don't like Medics. They are too slow to be useful most of the time.

: Enough of this.

: May you ride on nether zephyrs!

At least Gilbert got a level up.

PC-88 Version

If your party switches rows thanks to deaths, it stays like that after battle. Kind of annoying to switch your party around after that.

I had to sacrifice some points in his elemental imbues for his current skill build, but I put a 3rd point back in Shock.

We're not completely done with this floor, but that's for another time.

There's two ways we can go from here, left or right.

Remarkably, it's barely cracked, but it won't fare so well if left here in the cold. You can return the egg to the nest at the top of the cliff, or leave it as is.

: It'll probably perish down here.

: Well I won't let it happen! Come on, help me up!

Emilia climbs up the cliff and successfully places the egg back in the nest!

: Ha ha! Huh? Oh, thanks!

What's more, Emilia returns with a plume as a reward for your magnanimous effort. You smile wryly to Emilia as the group leaves the area.

You get a monster drop if you say yes.

Going down leads to nothing but a dead end.

: Hmm, I would think there would be something around here.

: Well there's nothing for us here, so we better just go the other way.

PC-88 Version

: Guild Firefly... It's been so long, I nearly forgot your faces.

: Wouldn't this be our first face to face meeting?

: Not for me and Gilbert.

The old marksman Wilhelm keeps a withering eye on you as he speaks.

: Ms. Artelind told you that good children don't go deep into the forest, didn't she?

: We might've gotten the memo.

: I don't know what you're up to. But I do know there'll be a world of trouble if you go on.

His gaze pierces directly into your soul as he continues.

: If you leave, fine. If you stay below, fine. But if you ignore our warning... Then the 15th floor... Mark me, children: that frosty hall will be your grave.

His stern speech concluded, the old marksman leaves the area, marching briskly.

Silence.

PC-88 Version

: W-Was he threatening us?

: What should we d-do?

: Hmph. We're gonna keep exploring, that's what. But I think we could use a break in the meantime.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 6, 2015

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Nice lyrics but wrong labyrinth for them, Gilbert. Keep on shining forever anyway you crazy biard.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I like this change in the stoic old man. He seems to be having ulterior motives for climbing through the strata. The fact your guild is getting ever higher through the massive dungeon is seeming to put a damper on his plans.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
He's an old man getting up in his years and he wants to take a crack at being the main character before he kicks the bucket.

But these darn upstarts from the first game keep trying to steal his thunder. :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well I hope you all enjoyed the more frequent updates, because I'm not gonna be able to put out any more of those for a while. I'm getting real busy at this point, so updates are gonna have to slow down. Possibly significantly. I was hoping to get one last update in before I got really busy again, but I couldn't get that done in time. Best case scenario is that I update as often as I did before deciding to update more frequently. (Probably not happening.) Worst case scenario, this hits the archives. (Definitely not happening. Maybe.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Blazer is just for one round of damage? drat, I can see how it chews through TP.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well I hope you all enjoyed the more frequent updates, because I'm not gonna be able to put out any more of those for a while. I'm getting real busy at this point, so updates are gonna have to slow down. Possibly significantly. I was hoping to get one last update in before I got really busy again, but I couldn't get that done in time. Best case scenario is that I update as often as I did before deciding to update more frequently. (Probably not happening.) Worst case scenario, this hits the archives. (Definitely not happening. Maybe.)

It was a nice holiday bonus! The writing quality is both worth the wait and pretty well explains it, on top of the usual effort for an LP.

I promise if this thread nears the archives to turn on you and start posting snippy one sentence posts asking if the thread is dead or you're just lazy. That will be my gift to you for your hard work (calling you lazy) (I give great gifts)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Slaughterhouse

PC-88 Version

: It contains a wealth of information on this country. So long as High Lagaard endures, one of my tasks is to update the Chronicle from time to time. Now that you're full citizens of High Lagaard... Why don't you take a look at the Chronicles when you have some free time? Poring over the Monstrous Codex is well and good, but you might learn something here too. I expect great things from you.

PC-88 Version

: How did you know about that?

: I'm constantly hearing people here talk about your guild. Guild Firefly is becoming known as experienced explorers. But don't be overconfident. Always focus on the task at hand. That's all the advice I have for you. Never underestimate the Labyrinth.

PC-88 Version

: We're just kind of worried about something.

: Why don't yeh ever come in here with a big smile on yer face? Lighten up! Can't yeh feel the way every face in the bar turns in yer direction when yeh step inside? There are even some folks who started their own guilds all because of yeh! Yeh want my advice? Act a little more like me! Haw haw haw!

: It didn't bleed much, but it really, really hurt! It made me think about you, though... You might get wounded a lot when you're in the Labyrinth. Does it always hurt that much?

: Sometimes, but I'm there to handle any injuries!

: When you're not being too sluggish to heal everyone.

: Yeah that's true. :(

: From now on, I'll study much harder! I'll ask my father to make you the best armor! I'll do whatever it takes to keep you from being wounded in the Labyrinth!

PC-88 Verison

: Ah, we're fine. I think.

: I heard the third Stratum is a freezing land of snow and ice. You're veteran explorers, but extreme cold can be bad for the human body. Be careful!

: I can't quite reach the top shelf... Can you put this up there? Perfect!

: What's in there?

: Huh? Oh, it's a box of fine china. I wasn't using it now, so I was going to put it away. I brought them out specially for an important guest.

: Oh, I'm so honored!

: I don't think she was talking about us.

: Bahaha! You're important to me too, but if you broke them, you'd find some way not to pay! Well, I guess the food tastes the same no matter how you serve it. But my daughter insists on using the nice dishes. The guests do seem happier that way, so... I thought it couldn't hurt to dust them off this once! Bahaha!

: Alright, you guys stay here. There's something I need to do.

: Ah, that quest?

: Yep. Don't worry about me, I'll be right back.

For this quest, you'll want one of these. It acts like a level 2 Stalker. You don't want to get into any battles along the way.

The text for a few things is a bit different when you're going solo, like getting a preemptive strike on an enemy. It's a nice touch.

: Whoa! Almost got myself into trouble there.

PC-88 Version

You need to be facing north to trigger this event.

: Hey, I been waitin'. You took the request, right? Yeah, the client couldn't make it. He sent me instead. See that crack by your feet?

You look closely, and there does seem to be a crack that one person could squeeze through. It must be the one from the quest you accepted at the bar. This crack, and the one that the thief reported, must be one and the same.

: Uh huh. What about it?

His words seem somewhat suspicious, as if he's pushing you into the crack. Should you trust the guard and reach into the crack?

: Yeah, I don't trust you.

: Heh. What's wrong? No need to be scared.

The guard laughs derisively and tells you that he'll be here whenever you're ready. His manner is unnaturally smooth... It doesn't seem like the movements of a guard. You feel uneasy, and consider abandoning the quest entirely.

You don't fail the quest if you do that. You can check again and say yes. So this time, let's trust the guard.

: Fine.

You reach for the shining object through the crack, but you can't quite grasp it... You feel a faint tremor, then a definite shake. It feels as though you're jumping... You wonder why the guard hasn't warned you of anything amiss, but he's nowhere to be found.

: Where did he run off to?

The ground's shaking is now incredibly intense... Something is wrong. You turn around... A monster is directly in front of you! You were so focused on the crack, you never noticed it! Worse, the tremors you feel are from the creature's footsteps!

: Oh, not good!

You dodge its lunging bite, barely managing to unsheath your weapon! Fight for your life!

PC-88 Version

: Really? :geno:

Yeah, they make you fight a Clawbug. Not even a powered up one. It's just a regular Clawbug. Kind of odd since a questline forced you to fight 3 different FOEs with a solo party member in the first game. One of which was the Killclaw which still had the instant death attack back then.

Most of the time it'll try to bind your head, which could be bad if you brought an Alchemist to deal with it for some reason. Most other classes won't care.

If I wasn't being an idiot I could have killed it in one turn with Voltshot. But I used Fireshot instead.

So my Gunner nearly died here.

: Pfft. Nothing compared to a bear or a tree. Oh well, I'm sure they won't mind a second helping of roasted beetle.

You still get exp from the battle since it wasn't an FOE, despite the music.

PC-88 Version

However, he has disappeared into thin air. There isn't a soul to be found anywhere.

: Of course he ran off.

You shrug and reach back into the crack to retrieve the shining object. But you stop upon realizing that the shining object has also disappeared!

: What the- where the hell did it go? Wait. He must've taken it while I was busy with that thing. Ugh.

You are forced to admit that despite your efforts, you have nothing to show for them. You must return to the bar and explain what happened!

PC-88 Version

: Ah, yeh're back! How was it?

: Fedot! Are you all right!?

: Yeah. I just had a run in with a monster. Lost the treasure to the thief while I was busy.

: Yeh see? I told yeh...! The guard was really that thief of course. He used yeh as bait to lure the monster. I'm truly sorry to tell yeh this, but the reward he left has vanished too.

: WHAT!?

Goddammit game! :argh:

: I won't let this go... How dare he violate yer trust like that? Oi, wait here. This isn't much, but I think yeh should have it instead of the reward.

: The nerve of some people. :argh:

: Awww, don't look so down! Cheer up! A job well done is its own reward, eh?

: Wasn't this the listed reward? :confused:

: Er, thanks.

Yeah the game fakes you out there. This is the same reward that was listed. That whole spiel about Cass replacing the reward was just flavor text. Now that we've got that done, we can go ahead and accept all the new quests that are available.

The next quest in The Beautiful Queen questline.

: Oh! Oh! We have the pawn, don't we?

: Oh, yeh saw the quest? The reward is a Rook! The client owns a shop, and I hear he's a collector of the Master Craftman's pieces. I hear he wants a Pawn and a Bishop. Yeh've already got the Pawn, of course. So just find a Bishop someplace else! How hard could it be? Although, I dunno who might have one, or where to start looking... Well, just talk to everyone yeh know and and try to track it down! G'luck!

: Just where do we start looking?

: Oh, I believe I heard something about a Bishop at Sitoth Trading last time I was there. I think I heard something about beauty as well. Oh by the way, more food please.

: Just make sure it doesn't come with the cheese this time. What idiot would eat that garbage?

: Grr...

: Wait a minute. Ha ha ha! You guys should take this one!

: Haw! Wondering what that one's about, are yeh? The lad were rejected... again. Yeh remember when yeh found that Ice Sheet for him? Well, he went to the girl to present his gift to her... And all he got in return was a blank stare! Haw haw! I knew she wouldn't be so easy to flatter as all that. But the lad won't back down yet. If the first gift was rejected, he wants something better. But I doubt he'll find anyone who'd...

: Oh they'll help!

: Uh, sure.

: Eh? Yeh're willing to help him!? Yeh're too soft...

: I'm curious to see how this will turn out myself. Perhaps it will blow up in his face again? That would be amusing.

: Ahh, now I see! Yeh just want the reward and the joy of seeing him fall on his face again, eh?

: Caught red-handed.

”begin nice?”

: This Ice Branch he wants should be somewhere on the 14th floor. Come now, though... Don't risk yer life trying to make a fool of the poor lad! Well, g'luck!

I already have the Ice Branch. It's just in storage, I'll pull it out later.

: He saw right through us- huh!? Cass? What's with this one!?

: Ahh, perfect timing! I was waiting to give this job to yeh! You remember the doctor's assistant? That lovely lass yeh took into the forest? It appears she's gone missing. The doctor's desperate, and he was looking for yeh earlier. Run over to the hospital so yeh can get the details from him. G'luck!

: We better hurry. What the-

: Get this panda off of me!

: Rip his head off!

: Ling, stop it!

: :ughh: Let's just get going.

: I asked at the Flaus Inn, and they said you'd gone out, so I was about to search for you. Do you remember my assistant, who went with you to get samples of the withered trees? I haven't seen her all day!

: Ah yes, I do remember her!

: Did you get into a fight with her?

A fight...? No! Of course not! The experimental salve for the disease is gone, too. She must have taken it into the forest! But we don't know if it'll work yet--and going in there alone is practically suicide!

: She didn't have anyone escorting her!? Where would she even go?

: The trees closest to one of the Geomagnetic Fields are on the 15th floor... She must have headed there! Please don't let anything happen to her! Help her! I'm begging you!

: We're on it!

: Wait, hold on, let me clean this area first... Oh no! S-Sorry, I slipped... I was just organizing today's incoming items. After I clean them, I give them to my father so he can check their condition. Some stuff needs repairs and things, so... Hm...? What's wrong?

I have no idea what this question has to do with anything.

: Hee hee! So I'm not the only one who spaces out sometimes, huh?

: Now what do you mean by that?

: Oh, I just meant... It seems like you guys are serious all the time. I was just surprised. Well, please come back anytime!

She's the one we need to go to for the Bishop.

: Oh! P-Please don't look at me like that... I get so nervous... Huh? O-Oh, of course! You meant the items, not me... Hee hee! Phew...

: Hey, what's that?

: Oh, this? It's some kind of decoration... Looks like it's made of metal. Oh! I know! It's one of those chess pieces that everyone's looking for...

: May we have it?

: Oh, you want it? Hmm... I'll have to ask my father.

: I don't know if we have time for this. We need to find Angie fast.

: …Ohhh, all right! I think it'll be okay to give it to you--I mean, you're Firefly! But I'll still have to charge you for it... Is that okay?

: Yeah sure, just hurry. We need to get moving.

: Let's see... Oh, no! It's so expensive... It costs 2,000en.

: :geno:

That would probably be expensive if I didn't farm for boss conditionals.

: Oh, sorry! I guess it's too expensive to ask you to pay that much on the spot, huh...? I'm sorry... I'm so useless... Um, I'll set this one aside just for you, so... When you want it, come talk to me! I'll be waiting!

: ...Sure, we'll buy it.

: Umm... One, two... Okay, got it! Thank you so much! I'll explain everything to my father. Hee hee, thanks! Here you go! Don't forget to look around the rest of our current inventory!

: Ahhh! I knew yeh'd find one! Give it here, and let's see! Hmm, so this is the Bishop piece, eh? Looks smart... just like me! Haw haw! All right, here's the reward. Great job! G'luck next time, too!

Acts like an Alchemist's level 2 Blades.

The message for getting the Ice Branch.

: Ahh, welcome back! Yeh lot are getting good at this! Alright, let's see here... So this is it, eh? Women are like magpies... they'll swoon over anything shiny. I like fine jewelry myself, of course, but only because I can make some money off it! Anyways, here's the reward. I'll take care of the rest. Thanks!

The rest of the quests we can finish on the next trip. But first, let's get those first two rocks for Under Maintenence.

PC-88 Version

The first one is in this spot on the 3rd floor.

As you come closer, they are revealed as a group of miners with a guard standing watch. When the miners notice you, they briefly stop their chatter, then quickly resume it. The soldier, on the other hand, greets you warmly.

: Hey, I've heard about you. You came to take the rock back to town, right? Thanks a lot! We just finished cutting it. It's really heavy... Make sure you don't strain your back.

Behind the guard, you see a huge rock that's been carved into a neat square. It's the size of one of your guild... It won't be easy to take it from the Labyrinth. You thank the guards, and the whole party pitches in to heft the rock back to Lagaard. ...You now have the first rock.

: So heavy.

: Just keep holding on.

You can only carry one at a time. These boulders need to be taken back to Cass before you can grab another.

PC-88 Version

: I have to say, I'm not best pleased about it blocking the entrance like that... I'd better tell the guards to get it out of here, quick. Great job, yeh lot. Now for the next two!

The second one is on the 5th floor. Just go to the 2nd Stratum and backtrack from there. It's easy to get to.

PC-88 Version

Although Chimaera may have respawned at this point.

But it should be easy to take down now.

Both Emilia and Fedot got level ups from that.

Emilia gets an increase to her TP pool.

2-Hit's chance got increased to 6%.

It turns out to be another square-cut boulder, lying placidly on the ground. You achily remember the quest you accepted at the bar... You agreed to bring three boulders from the Labyrinth for the road construction.

Okay seriously, how much proofreading was done on this game?

You can choose to have the whole party hoist the rock, or ignore it for now. You now have the second rock.

: Oh, my back is going to hurt for weeks.

: Same here. I don't think this is good for my posture.

PC-88 Version

: I told yeh to cut that out! How are people supposed to come in for a brew like this!?

: It's a heavy rock!

: Well, yeh must be tired, so I'll call the guards at once. Just one more left! Yeh can do it!

The last one is on the 14th floor. Oh and you might want to travel at daytime when you first get there.

PC-88 Version

Redfish
HP: 246
AT: 28
DF: 28
Exp: 2044
Skills: Rend, Ice Fin
Item Drops:
-Common: Red Fin - 1 needed for Scale Boot and Talwaar (Sword.) 2 needed for Cotardie. 5 needed for Gendawa (Bow.)
--Beautiful and flexible reddish-white fin.
-Rare: N/A
-Conditional: Red Scale - Kill with Fire. 1 needed for Iron Saker (Gun.)
--Merman scales turned red in the heat.
Description: A higher form of fishman that compensates for its environment through its mastery of ice.
Weakness: Volt (150%)
Resistance: Ice (0%)

They're just slightly tougher Fishmen. Rend just hits harder than a regular attack, and Ice Fin just deals some minor Ice damage. There's nothing noteworthy about them other than their high resistance to Ice.

Just getting the conditional drops since there's really nothing much to say about these enemies.

PC-88 Version

There's a Helldra guarding a tresure chest down here. While you can get to the chest at night, it's much easier to get it in the daytime.

Hamaos are handy consumables. They restore both HP and TP.

After another battle, Frederik gets a level up.

Unfortunately I was confused at the time and thought the requirements for Cursecut was 10 STR Up and 6 War Edge instead of the other way around. So I wasted two skill points. Good going Fetus. :bravo:

Here's the Mine point on this floor.

New monster, and the one that has the drops we need for Cass' quest.

Blue Gel
HP: 243
AT: 27
DF: 27
Exp: 1126
Skills: Acid, Fluid
Item Drops:
-Common: Blue Core - 1 needed for Haze Rod (Staff) and Goliath (Axe.) 10 needed for Fire Saker. (Gun.) 2 needed for the quest Yggdrasil cider.
--Cubic core that's cold to the touch.
-Rare: N/A
-Conditional: N/A
Description: A flexible lifeform that has learned the trick of shaping itself like various human weapons.
Weakness: Fire (200%), Volt (200%)
Resistance: Physical (25%), Ice (0%)

The next in the Gel family, and they've picked up a new trick. Fluid decreases your party's agility, meaning that they'll be slower and miss more often. Kind of annoying.

Let's see Shocker in action.

: Let this spark ignite the fires of your life!

: Ugh, my boots are all sticky!

: I can barely move.

: Zip zap!

Nothing much to them. They can be pretty annoying if you don't have any elemental attacks, but that goes for a lot of enemies in this Stratum.

Another shortcut we can't access yet.

This next room is a Darksoar minefield, and it can be kind of tough to sneak past all of them.

PC-88 Version

But at this point, we can take them out easily. Fedot's Ricochet needs to hit 4 times to kill them in one turn, but they're not a threat anymore.

Dust isn't even a one hit kill anymore.

At this point my party was running low on HP and TP so I decided to go back. Also, there's something you can only get at night on this floor.

PC-88 Version

I also realized that while I upgraded my party's armor, I forgot to upgrade their weapons. I am good at video games. :downs:

Oh, now they should be hitting a lot harder.

I went ahead and pulled out the other items for that quest I had in storage.

: Oi, I've been waiting for yeh! Yeh lot find everything?

: Yeah, here it is.

: Let me see... Nice! Very nice! Now to brew up a batch and stick the Firefly name on the label, and...

: What?

: Eh? I didn't say nothing! Yeh heard wrong! Here, take yer reward! Yeh're satisfied, right!? S-See you!

PC-88 Version

Notice how Tornado is gone from her skill list. Tornado is a sword skill, and Emilia is wielding an axe right now so she can't use it. So we went from having little AOE to no AOE at all. Be careful with stuff like that. So let's see how much of a damage increase her new axe gives her.

Ooh, very nice.

: AXECUTED! :black101:

: That was terrible.

Fedot's new gun also provides a nice damage increase.

PC-88 Version

Fedot could kill these in one turn with a Bravery and Warmight buff, but only if Ricochet hit 4 times. Now that he has a new gun, let's see if he can kill them in 3 hits.

: We're gonna have a huge feast for the next few days!

: I am curious as to what bird blood- I mean meat tastes like.

: Wha?

New equipment can really make a difference.

PC-88 Version

He doesn't notice you, so you call out a greeting.

: Hey! What are you doing here?

: W-Whoa! Gah! S-Sorry, I dozed off there... You're the ones who took the quest, right? Good... I had to stay here and wait for you. It's about time you got here. The rock's right over there. Have at it!

He grins at you, then jogs back to the Labyrinth's entrance. You wearily think back to your quest... isn't it finished yet? You were tasked with bringing back three rocks from the Labyrinth back to town. You've already discovered two, which makes this the last rock! Your party gathers around the rock, pooling your strength to lift the boulder. You now have the third rock.

The Take point is also in this room.

Here's another Darksoar.

Correction, another dead Darksoar.

: Hey, what's that?

It's mostly covered in snow, making it difficult to tell what it is from your position. You can investigate the shining object further or ignore it and continue forth.

: Oh, what's this?

When you approach the object and pick it up, it is revealed to be a rusted sword. You wonder whether to take it with you, when a low rumbling echoes through the area.

: It's an avalanche!

It is the sound of snow and boulders sliding down the mountain! The swords owner must have been crushed by an avalanche! You retreat from the approaching wall of snow at full speed, but it's too late! Your comrades are swallowed into the moving wall of snow and slammed into the ground!

: I'm all right. I think.

: I believe I may have suffered some slight drain bamage.

: What a cruel twist of fate. To never be able to walk again.

: Don't be a baby. Just get up.

: Just come over here and I'll fix you guys up.

Three party members lose some HP here. Nothing a Salve 2 can't fix.

Maverick gets a level up and levels up Scavenge to 4.

The room down here connects to the shortcut we found earlier.

A Helldra blocks the treasure chest in this room. You have to come here at night in order to get it.

The Gountlet is an okay piece of equipment I guess. I never really bothered much with the arm armor in the EO games.

And don't bother checking this corner. You'll just get yourself trapped.

: It's been a while since this happened.

: :ughh: Well, time to go back.

PC-88 Version

: Fantastic job! Yeh really showed them what yeh can do! The reward's over on the table. I can't wait to see what Lagaard looks like with improved roads! Even I 'spected sometimes that all yeh can do is find treasure or slay beasties. Seeing yeh lot help out the town like this... I'm touched! ......

: Yeah that's great, let's go-

: I'll get yeh someday for this!

: Make haste!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 6, 2015

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I love Cass' reactions during the boulder-hauling quest. Re: the, uh, 'Gountlet,' at first it looks like just another typo but it's stranger than that because later on there's another arm guard which IS called a Gauntlet. Not quite sure what happened there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I love the comedic timing of that clawbug. All that build up and it looks so small on its lonesome.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
Fedot's earning his keep now, daaaaaamn. Isn't he hitting for Ken-like numbers at this point? Gunners seem crazy mean in this EO, between doing pretty much everything, covering elements and having a great burst ability in Riot Gun.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh cass, we do this BECAUSE we love you!...and because we like to laugh at YOU once in a god drat while! Now then, Fedot is going to become a right mean bastard with that updated gun of his. Also been playing EO4 as of recent, started my game and got me a Landsknecht, Fortress, Sniper, Runemaster and a MEEEEDIIIIIC. Only about level 7 right now, thinking of making a Dancer and Nightstalker for later, maybe save the Nightstalker for AFTER I unlock the other classes...also I'm indeed a filthy casual, thinking of doing Normal when I do boss fights though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Transient People posted:

Fedot's earning his keep now, daaaaaamn. Isn't he hitting for Ken-like numbers at this point? Gunners seem crazy mean in this EO, between doing pretty much everything, covering elements and having a great burst ability in Riot Gun.

He is, but that's because his strength is around Ken's at this point. His strength gain isn't as good as Ken's, it caps out at 59 at level 70 while Ken's caps out at 76 at that level. Ricochet is strong, but it doesn't hit as hard as Midareba 60% of the time. 125% damage on 3-5 hits while Midareba is a 140% on 3 hits. Ken will eventually outclass him. Gunners are also turtles, which can be kind of annoying if you want something killed fast. Still, they're better than most other damage classes in the game.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 17, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah this is not a party I would want to be doing some of the later stuff in this Stratum with, no binds and while all that crazy Ricochet and Chaser poo poo might look impressive this stratum gets downright inhospitable later and this party lacks some of the tools you'd want when for example trying to actually kill Helldras or when doing Certain Things later on.

EDIT: Fetus edited out his discontent with the party mix but I think it's still a fair point that this party is decidedly just ai'ght for some of the situations in this stratum.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

Yeah this is not a party I would want to be doing some of the later stuff in this Stratum with, no binds and while all that crazy Ricochet and Chaser poo poo might look impressive this stratum gets downright inhospitable later and this party lacks some of the tools you'd want when for example trying to actually kill Helldras or when doing Certain Things later on.

EDIT: Fetus edited out his discontent with the party mix but I think it's still a fair point that this party is decidedly just ai'ght for some of the situations in this stratum.

There was a part in the next update that I got stuck on because wow this team composition is really bad. To the people that voted for this party, I hate you. :argh: I figured out how to get past it, but I'll just say that the Landsknecht's lack of damage really bites them in the butt in the situations that matter. Being stuck with 4 supports and only 1 damage dealer is painful.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Dr. Fetus posted:

Being stuck with 4 supports and only 1 damage dealer is painful.

You could divide the next vote into subgroups to deal with this issue. You know, make a set of frontliners, backliners, supports etc. and then pick the ones with the most votes from each.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Theantero posted:

You could divide the next vote into subgroups to deal with this issue. You know, make a set of frontliners, backliners, supports etc. and then pick the ones with the most votes from each.

Really this game has certain things he should just say 'hey gently caress you this is the party I'm taking' so he doesn't have to get to an unreasonable level to even do them

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Well my conscience is clear. I voted for Bellamy. :v:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Theantero posted:

Seriously. This. People WILL make your life a living hell if you let them. And seriously, a 'screw you guys, THIS is the party I'm using' will save you a lot of headaches later, I'm sure.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well, I don't know if I'll be resorting to that just yet. There's one boss that's known to end runs, but it's not this Stratum's boss. Dunno if I'll hold votes for that one cause it's just a huge brick wall without a good party. Postgame is definitely off limits. I'm not going through that with a gimped party. Maybe if it was EO3's or 4's postgame.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I will say another thing I hope they find a way to take from Persona Q to the main series of EO games is that it's basically impossible to make a party that's total poo poo. You can definitely have the wrong party for a specific thing, but every character at least like has a thing they are good at and a use that can be further reinforced by proper use of the mechanics. I mean it's not perfect because some individual characters are certainly much better than others but even weaker characters (*cough* Teddie *cough*) aren't like totally useless.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

I will say another thing I hope they find a way to take from Persona Q to the main series of EO games is that it's basically impossible to make a party that's total poo poo. You can definitely have the wrong party for a specific thing, but every character at least like has a thing they are good at and a use that can be further reinforced by proper use of the mechanics. I mean it's not perfect because some individual characters are certainly much better than others but even weaker characters (*cough* Teddie *cough*) aren't like totally useless.

I'd say EO4 is probably the most balanced out of all the EO games. Aside from the Medic, which is just slightly unoptimal instead of outright bad, all the classes are worth using, and there's not really too many skills that are outright useless. So they learned their lesson about class balance. I sometimes get the feeling that EO2 was rushed since it feels a bit more shoddily put together with all the bugs and typos, and the really questionable class balance. Stuff like Hexers utterly breaking the game, and Survivalists and Alchemists being the weakest classes in the game.

On an unfortunate note, it seems like the EO1 LP hit the archives. Hmm, once I got to a certain point in the game, I was gonna tell people to go read it if they wanted some context on the plot at that point. But the EO1 LP didn't get far enough for that. Not sure what to do when I get there.

I've got the next update ready to go, but I'd like to post it on the next page since there's a lot of screenshots on this page already.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm happy to toss in a post, I'm still enjoying this LP.

I'm sad the EO1 LP ended - maybe you could go back and do EO1 when you're finished? ;)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

tithin posted:

I'm sad the EO1 LP ended - maybe you could go back and do EO1 when you're finished? ;)

After he has a niiiiice long break from EO2. God knows he'll need it after this.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Dr. Fetus posted:

On an unfortunate note, it seems like the EO1 LP hit the archives. Hmm, once I got to a certain point in the game, I was gonna tell people to go read it if they wanted some context on the plot at that point. But the EO1 LP didn't get far enough for that. Not sure what to do when I get there.
Maybe you should just put a summary of the relevant part in spoiler tags, and then say "yeah this part is a reference to Etrian Odyssey 1".

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Feinne posted:

That's exactly what EO4 is, and EOU is super flexible as well thanks to the grimoire system.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

SC Bracer posted:

That's exactly what EO4 is, and EOU is super flexible as well thanks to the grimoire system.

I can agree it's flexible but goddamn it is annoying to get the skills you WANT (looking at you King Grimoires), I'd take the resting penalty over grinding those stones.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Feinne posted:

Yeah, the mechanics in PQ make it super easy to balance a party. I was wondering for a while if I was blazing through it just because I'm playing on easy mode (like a filthy casual.)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

suddenly cats posted:

Yeah, the mechanics in PQ make it super easy to balance a party. I was wondering for a while if I was blazing through it just because I'm playing on easy mode (like a filthy casual.)

Oh you are certainly in part blazing through it because you are playing on easy, but if you're doing things right the game's hardly punishingly difficult. For one thing it's easier to grind than like any EO game, since everything that's capable of respawning does when you go back to base. Most FOEs are very reasonable to fight during the Labyrinth you first encounter them, though they can also be quite, quite bullshit at times (for one thing several FOEs are capable of casting Diarahan).

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Gonna contribute with another post to push this to next page. Just need two more!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Feinne, are you LPing anything at present? I haven't looked in a while :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

tithin posted:

Feinne, are you LPing anything at present? I haven't looked in a while :shobon:

The Witch and the Hundred Knight currently.

I do actually have a dungeon crawler type game that I'm planning on doing an LP of sooner rather than later (though I still need to test and make sure the way I've got things set up now does indeed let me record Vita stuff), Demon Gaze. Not next though, unless I go super crazy and try and run two LPs at once or something which I'm unlikely to do.

• Locked thread