Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah, this was an absolutely top update. Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm surprised Aliara had a problem with the poisoning. :v:

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm surprised Aliara had a problem with the poisoning. :v:

Well, it wasn't ~Her~ poison, so obviously it's not going to do the job right, y'know?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, they keep pulling new gimmicks out for the dungeon. Suppose something has to keep it fresh this late in the game. The two-floors-as-one idea is something I'm looking forward to exploring.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That gimmick was a big one in the later parts of the persona 1 dungeons.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

It's done a few times in the EO series also. EO1 has floors 8 & 9, and 27 & 28 :suicide:, for instance, and EO3 does it at least in the post game also. I like it, it mixes things up a bit and sometimes it's nice to feel like you've unlocked 2 new floors at once.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well, glad you guys like the character dialogue, I guess. Cause that's usually the first thing on the chopping block when an update gets too long. Unfortunately for me, there was too much to cut out, so I just split it into two parts instead.

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's done a few times in the EO series also. EO1 has floors 8 & 9, and 27 & 28 :suicide:, for instance, and EO3 does it at least in the post game also. I like it, it mixes things up a bit and sometimes it's nice to feel like you've unlocked 2 new floors at once.

There's also one in EO3's 4th Stratum, in floors 15 and 16.

Voting will happen sometime after the current party reaches the 19th floor. Working on the update, no idea when it will be ready.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dr. Fetus posted:

Voting will happen sometime after the current party reaches the 19th floor. Working on the update, no idea when it will be ready.

Guys, instead of letting our masochistic fetus choose his party...lets give him a half-way decent party this time around.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's also one in EO3's 4th Stratum, in floors 15 and 16.

And Persona Q's final floors!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Tree Key

PC-88 Version

I temporarily switched in Nick because I want to get the Flygourd's conditional drop. Don't worry, I'll switch back to the old party soon enough.

: Ooh! Ooh! Another victim just waiting to be dominated!

: Please don't do that again.

: Please do!

PC-88 Version

Oh, this is a great start.

: Now beg for mercy!

: You sure Gilbert wasn't available?

: Sorry, but Nick was the best I could do.

I dunno if that's enough for Climax.

:flaccid:

Nope.

: :saddowns:

Fortunately, I still had Bellamy's Force Skill.

: Blueballed.

: :argh:

And I got the conditional! :toot: I already sold 2 other Curse Vines, so this one will unlock the Dominator.

PC-88 Version

: Goddammit Bellamy, would you quit doing that to me!?

: Why should I? It's funny to watch you squirm, and none of us have to witness anything mind scarring.

: I have needs, you jerk!

: Needs that none of us need to witness!

: Would you quit bickering for just a second? We need to get a move on. Save it for later, kids.

: This isn't over.

: Likewise.

So there's a door and some branching pathways here.

: Sweet! There's a shortcut here!

: Huh?

: Why don't we go see what's down the other path?

: But there's a marking on the wall. And that means- oh forget it!

Okay, so here's the gimmick of this secret area.

There's three paths to choose from. One of them contains nothing at all, one contains the way onward, and one contains a Flygourd that will spawn when you reach the dead end. They all have marked walls, so you have to go to the end to check if it's the way onward. There's no way to tell which path leads forward, so it's trial and error.

Oh, and the paths forward are all class specific shortcuts too! So if you didn't bring in the right combination of classes, too bad! You have to go back and bring in the right class combination. Again, there's no way to tell what classes you'll need. You need an Alchemist for this one.

: Let's see here... Ah, here we go.

Next path requires you to go top.

A Gunner is required here.

: Bullseye!

: Whee!

Next path is the bottom one, and you need a Medic.

: You know, I really wish I didn't leave behind my medical supplies. Oh well, I'll have to make do.

Middle path. Needs a Hexer. Flavor text is the same for all of them.

: Hey, buddies. Help us up!

Our reward for getting through all that is this room full of treasures.

: :signings:

Good treasures! I put this on Maverick since he's gonna be frontlining for a bit longer.

Nice defense boost for Fedot.

Dual level-up! :toot: I wonder if we'll ever see a quintuple level-up again.

Not really an interesting use of skill points. Maverick will probably get reworked back into a regular Medic after I'm done with the first half of this Stratum. I really regret trying to make him a combat Medic now. It's a build that only really worked in EO1.

Still, I get something that boosts his attack by a fair amount.

Ohohoho, now this is a good upgrade. This was definitely worth the trip.

PC-88 Version

Ahahaha. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The Dominator is Nick's ultimate weapon. This is the thing that makes them skyrocket from FOE killer, to outright broken. Oh sure the stats are nice, but that's not what I'm concerned about. It's the Force Up attribute. Consider that Force Skills are super powerful, but are balanced by the fact that Force builds up super slowly. The Force Up attribute completely throws that out the window. What it does is add an additional 5 Force points to a party member's Force meter any time they gain force. So the Force gain would go from this:

-Defending, using a skill, attacking an enemy, taking damage from an enemy, killing an enemy: +2
-Using the attack command: +1
-Using an item, switching, dodging an attack, attempting to escape: +0
-Successfully escaping: -5

To this:

-Defending, using a skill, attacking an enemy, taking damage from an enemy, killing an enemy: +7
-Using the attack command: +6
-Using an item, switching, dodging an attack, attempting to escape: +0
-Successfully escaping: -5

Long story short, Nick can use Dominate every few battles, where before you would hardly see Force Skills being used unless you did some Force grinding. The Force Up attribute also makes Force grinding for bosses take far less time. And Nick isn't the only one who can wield a weapon that increases Force gain. Some other weapon types, but not all, have a weapon with the Force Up attribute. This is why Force Skills are so broken. The only flimsy balancing factor is thrown out the window with this and Axcelas. I won't be buying this just yet, but I wanted to unlock it now. If you thought Dark Hunters were broken before, trust me, you haven't seen anything yet.

Now, let's get the original party back together. I'm sure you've missed them.

PC-88 Version

Seriously? I accidentally ran into a Voltking and this happens.

: I think it would be best if we run. Right now. I don't want to be here right now. Why did I agree to joining this guild!? Risking my life and-

: :gibs:

: Bellamy, shut up.

Here's the Voltking's patrol path, since we didn't go down here last time.

: :cry:

: Goddammit Gilbert.

: Can you really blame him? He's not supposed to be up here. You know, like how I'm not supposed to be up here!

: Gah...

: He's right, this team could be better.

I regret nothing. :colbert:

Megido isn't that strong right now, but it has it's uses later.

The Voltking was guarding some treasures.

Some nice, but not that great treasures.

Now that Corrupt is maxed out, she can help provide infinite TP to the party if she gets paired up with Frederik.

There's a Voltking that patrols this path.

Fortunately, there's an empty room you can duck into to avoid it.

PC-88 Version

But avoiding it would be the cowardly thing to do. :black101:

Voltking
Type: Red
Behavior: Patrol, Staggered
Aggressive: No
HP: 4000
AT: 70
DF: 70
Skills: Roar, Fury
Item Drops:
-Common: Spinal Fin - 1 needed for Caledfwlch (Sword.) 1 needed for the quest A diviner's tools.
-Rare: N/A
-Conditional: N/A
Description: These dragonlike beings can create and control bolts of lightning to destroy their enemies.
Weakness: Fire (125%)
Resistance: Stab (75%), Volt (0%)

So these things are basically palette-swaps of the Firekings, and operate in the same way. They'll mostly use Roar and just attack at full health, and once they start getting low they'll get more aggressive. Their version of Fury is a random target Volt attack that hits multiple times that has a chance to inflict Terror, so be careful with that. A Protector with a fully leveled Antivolt can nullify Fury, so the only things you'd have to worry about is Roar and their regular attacks.

: Okay, who thought fighting this thing was a good idea?

: Don't blame me. I wanted to avoid it, but those guys wanted a piece of it.

: Don't worry, this formula should take care of it!

: ...Well that formula needs more work.

Megido needs to be at a higher level to do any impressive damage.

: Just zap him.

: :gibs:

: Wow, I keep getting lucky with these.

: :swoon: Aliara, high fi-

: No.

: :(

Dampen is such a disgustingly broken move. I love it.

: Aliara... For my last reque-

: You're not dead yet, and no.

And this is when things start going south. Bellamy was my main damage dealer. :argh:

This isn't good.

: I believe this is the part where I bravely run away!

: Don't even think about it!

: Make it stop.

: How about... now?

: Never...

Well, if the Voltking uses Fury again, I'm done for. I don't know if the poison damage will be enough, so if he kills Fedot, I'm also done for.

Also, I'm out of Nectars.

: Why? Why must the Labyrinth be so cruel to me?

YES! Gilbert died! :woop:

The damage from Ricochet was enough to make the Poison finish it off. Sheesh, talk about lucky.

: I tried to warn them, but noooooooo. Now I have to drag four bodies back to High Lagaard.

And I got the drop! Oh, and since I spent all that time grinding up Force with Nick, Gilbert's kind of behind. At this point I go back and resupply.

PC-88 Version

: :ughh:

PC-88 Version

Here's another pitfall, but we don't want to go down this one. It doesn't lead anywhere.

And another Voltking patrols this area. I'm not fighting this one. I've racked up... just how many deaths did I rack up? I've lost count. Much more than in a normal playthrough I'm sure.

: What an adorable squirrel.

: Bellamy! Don't!

: Hmm? Why- What the!? Hey! Get out of there!

: :ughh:

: Can we avoid petting the squirrels for once!?

: Please tell me we have a spare- huh? What's it doing?

: I'm sorry about that, but it looked like it didn't steal anything.

: That's weird. It usually steals a Warp Wire from us.

: ...Fedot. Check the backpack.

: GODDAMMIT!

: I guess we can't blame the squirrel this time.

: We really need to do something about your Warp Wire problem.

: Maybe he has Alzheimer’s.

: I'm not that old!

: I hope I never wake from the next one.

Now this pitfall you actually want to go down.

: Just let me die. My life has no purpose now.

: Can this just end already?

: Can you guys quit whining already?

: Can we actually get a better team?

: Maybe when we reach the 19th floor.

: AAAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!

: I believe that may have been their death rattles.

We actually have a lot more floor to go through before we get to the 19th floor. I'd say we're maybe halfway there? :unsmigghh:

He hails you in a cheerful voice.

: It looks like your journey is going smoothly, explorers. You must be Firefly. I have something you'll want when exploring the Labyrinth...

He continues, as if probing your reactions.

: Go on.

: It's indispensable to proceed through the Labyrinth, I assure you. That being said...

He looks at you hopefully. If this item is really as useful as he claims...

You inform the guard that you won't pay, and he shakes his head with disappointment.

: Well, I'll wait here for a while. If you change your mind, come see me.

And with that, the guard sees you off.

He speaks to you, as cheerful as ever.

: How about it? Were you able to save up 10000en?

If you have the money, there is a chance that his goods may be worth the steep price...

It is definitely worth it. Buy it if you have the money. You don't actually need this, despite what the game claims, but it's very handy to have.

: 10000en? Pfft, that's nothing to us. Here.

You pay the guard the agreed-upon amount, and he smiles as he stuffs it into his bag.

: Here you are. I don't know what this key is for, but I'm certain it will help somewhere.

The guard hands you a small key, which you put away with the rest of your things.

: Well then, I'll be heading back to town. Good luck to you all.

And with that, the guard leaves the area. You decide to return to your investigation of the Labyrinth.

: Hmm, what could this be for?

: It's a key, so it opens a locked something.

: Like a door? Hey, didn't we see a bunch of locked doors in the first two Strata?

: You might be onto something. How about a bit of a break from exploring this Stratum? We could go back to the earlier ones and see if this key works on those doors.

: Oh god, yes!

: Well, it's decided.

So that Tree Key unlocks those locked doors we saw in the Labyrinth. Some just lead to treasure, while others lead to secret areas. I'll be exploring those areas with a team of my choosing.

This area has a bunch of Flygourds in it, which can be annoying if your team doesn't have anything to help deal with them.

There's another one over there, guarding some treasure.

It's a nice defense boost for the squishy classes. I put it on Bellamy.

: Seems sturdy enough, although I'm not sure if I like the design. Seems a bit tacky.

: I think it looks good on you.

: It really brings our your hair color and eyes.

: Really? Well, I suppose I can make anything look dazzling.

That pitfall was the only way to get down here. Most others will take you to this next area.

: How many of these things are there?

And one last one this way.

And the way out connects to the other dead end on the 17th floor. Oh, and one more thing.

Squirrels don't steal Warp Stones. So if you came from a Geomagnetic Field, you can just warp out with one of those if you have one.

Next time, we'll look behind all the locked doors in the first two Strata.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 4, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh I thought the dude was gonna sell you a Warp Wire, just to rub it in. Huh.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah...they tried to make Limits a bit less completely batshit in EO3, with some success. The formula for it is really convoluted, but the short form is that you can't get above 15 limit points from a single action, though there's variance between 5 and 15 below that. Sometimes.

Of course, Swashbuckling throws this out the window, as it does with so many other things. Combined with the bug that lets it proc a ridiculous number of times when dual-wielding, and not only is it a godlike accompaniment to the Warrior Might strategy, but you can fire off a limit every third turn, and with limit boosting gear and a little luck with Swashbuckling procs you can get it down to every other turn. :getin: And while many of the Limits are less powerful than some of the more broken Force skills in EO2, there are still ones that negate all damage on your party for a turn and the like.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nick's dialogue makes me even more concerned about what Climax is doing. :ohdear:

It's also concerning that the two strongest members of the party are sadists.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

theshim posted:

Yeah...they tried to make Limits a bit less completely batshit in EO3, with some success. The formula for it is really convoluted, but the short form is that you can't get above 15 limit points from a single action, though there's variance between 5 and 15 below that. Sometimes.

Of course, Swashbuckling throws this out the window, as it does with so many other things. Combined with the bug that lets it proc a ridiculous number of times when dual-wielding, and not only is it a godlike accompaniment to the Warrior Might strategy, but you can fire off a limit every third turn, and with limit boosting gear and a little luck with Swashbuckling procs you can get it down to every other turn. :getin: And while many of the Limits are less powerful than some of the more broken Force skills in EO2, there are still ones that negate all damage on your party for a turn and the like.

I'm glad Etrian Odyssey is getting popular enough to finally have people LPing it. I really need someone to do 3 so I can see what the broken stuff is in it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh hey, Maverick hit himself with his staff, just like his character description. :neckbeard:

RareAcumen posted:

I'm glad Etrian Odyssey is getting popular enough to finally have people LPing it. I really need someone to do 3 so I can see what the broken stuff is in it.

I was very tempted to start an EO3 LP this summer, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time or the energy to do an SSLP and I'm not sure if I can do a VLP and keep up the interest across the whole game. My usual co-commentator ran away screaming at the idea and if I do do it, I would prefer a range of various people who enjoy the series and will talk about the series during the boring bits. It seems like something I'd be doing for a while, so you really have to be sure you want to do it.

So I've been bouncing the idea back and forth and now I kinda want to do it again. Goddammit.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dr. Fetus posted:

: :swoon: Aliara, high fi-

: No.

: :(

:allears: For some reason this made me laugh too much.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dr Pepper posted:

:allears: For some reason this made me laugh too much.

We'll see if she's laughing when Bellamy solos the final boss. :colbert:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

Not quite. Limit forges actually increase the Limit cap. They don't increase the amount of Limit you gain, not directly at least. I believe you can raise the Limit cap from 15 to 20 if you've got a party member equipped with all the limit weapons and armor. Swashbuckling is still very powerful, especially on one of the unlockable classes. But Atlus caught on and Sword Dance and Blade Flurry don't do anything to the Burst meter. And while the Aegis limits are good, they aren't as good as Painless. Painless prevents anything bad from happening to your party. (Not sure about debuffs and dispels, but I'll find out soon enough.) Status effects, instant death, and binds can still pierce the Aegis limits. With all that said, I'd have to say that EO4 probably has the most balanced limit break system.

Speaking of limits, I might as well go into how the EO2 remake reworked the Force system. (Because there was no way that was staying in as is.) There's two types of Force Skills. Force Boosts, and Force Breaks. Force Boosts are 3 turn buffs that don't eat up a buff slot and turn. For example, Alchemists have Analysis as theirs. The Force Breaks are the super moves that we're familiar with, like Riot Gun and Eschaton, and they can only be used while a Force Boost is active. The catch with the Force Breaks are that once they get used, the character's Force meter breaks, and they can't use Force Boosts or Breaks again until they go back to town. On the plus side, going back to town refills their Force meters, unlike all the other EO games where doing something like that halves/empties it. Oh, and some of the Force Skills got nerfed even after the rework. Dominate got hit really hard. It can't go through bind immunities, and it's no longer guaranteed to land.

RareAcumen posted:

Well theshim had an EO3 LP, but it didn't get very far. :( No idea if he plans to start that up again. I think Rigged Death Trap said he was thinking of doing one, and then there's Crosspeice.

As for broken stuff, Warrior's Might is a really overpowered damage skill. It's the reason why Chasers got reworked into Links in EO4. There's also Dark Ether, which prevents a whole row from using TP. Handy by itself, but combined with a Ninja, you can make it so that both rows never use up any TP. And the Ninja's class skill can lower the cost of Dark Ether to 1, making inventory space the only limiting factor in dungeon crawls. There's a bunch of other stuff too, but those two are the most popular cheese tactics.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I think I've convinced myself, so RIP free time, but I'm also thinking of getting a capture card sometime next year with all this money I don't have and then hoo boy. Summer 2016 will probably be around the release of EOU2 too. :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Not quite. Limit forges actually increase the Limit cap. They don't increase the amount of Limit you gain, not directly at least. I believe you can raise the Limit cap from 15 to 20 if you've got a party member equipped with all the limit weapons and armor. Swashbuckling is still very powerful, especially on one of the unlockable classes. But Atlus caught on and Sword Dance and Blade Flurry don't do anything to the Burst meter. And while the Aegis limits are good, they aren't as good as Painless. Painless prevents anything bad from happening to your party. (Not sure about debuffs and dispels, but I'll find out soon enough.) Status effects, instant death, and binds can still pierce the Aegis limits. With all that said, I'd have to say that EO4 probably has the most balanced limit break system.
:argh: I stared at this post for like ten minutes trying to remember exactly why the Nenekirimaru made Limits easier to get, and now I remember. :argh:

Limit boosting gear in EO3 boosts both the cap and the floor of Limit by 1 for each forge. With two Limit forge slots on a Buccaneer/Shogun with maxed Limit Boost (which also raises the floor), you gain 17 limit per hit, which means six hits will give you a full gauge from zero - and you would nearly always get that over two turns and fairly frequently from one. With other gear you could get it up to 20 points per hit, which meant you only needed five hits to max your gauge, but I felt the sacrifice wasn't worth it for that.

S'yeah, I was off by a bit. :sweatdrop:

Crosspeice posted:

I think I've convinced myself, so RIP free time, but I'm also thinking of getting a capture card sometime next year with all this money I don't have and then hoo boy. Summer 2016 will probably be around the release of EOU2 too. :v:
Godspeed and good luck. I've still got my portraits and stuff lying around, let me know if you want them!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Revisited

Time to explore the locked areas in the first two Strata. This is the team I'll be going with.

Say goodbye to our big pile of money.

Because I've just purchased Nick's ultimate weapon.

PC-88 Version

These are their regular attacks, for the record. Massive overkill aside, this is the power of a postgame weapon on a good class.

And after just 13 turns, Nick's Force meter is completely filled.

Where everyone else just has a quarter of it filled at this point.

PC-88 Version

: Hmm, wonder if it'll fit.

: Put it in! Put it in!

: What do you know? It works.

: Finally! Those doors were bugging me for weeks!

There's a few doors in here.

This one leads to a dead end.

So does this one.

: 10,000en well spent.

: Says the person who spent nearly all our funds on a whip.

: It's a good whip! Perfect for tying things up!

: I wanted to buy more candy. :mad:

: Oh hey, more moles. Perfect for-

: I don't think those are ordinary moles!

PC-88 Version

: Gah! Help!

: Grrr...

: Oh. Thanks buddy!

: Mm.

Raidmole
Type: Normal
Behavior: Proximity, Line of Sight
Aggressive: Yes
HP: 1590
AT: 51
DF: 53
Skills: Claws
Item Drops:
-Common: Earth Nail - See Mole bio.
-Rare: Soft Fur - See Mole bio.
-Conditional: Sword Claw - Kill while arms are bound. 3 needed for Purr Claw.
--Blade-sharp fangs of a lethal mole.
Description: This fearsome mole's powerful claws have made mincemeat of many an unwary traveler.
Weakness: Fire (125%)
Resistance: N/A

The secret area FOEs in the first Stratum. These guys are just stronger Moles. MUCH stronger Moles. They can easily rip your party apart if you're not careful.

: GRRR!

: Wow, look at him go!

Rampage is the best physical damage skill in the game. On average, it'll dish out more damage than Midareba and Ricochet. The problem is that it's kind of inaccurate, and that you need to max Loyalty to get the skill. Which turns the Beast into a massive glass cannon.

: I now pronounce you mole and tree.

I picked up the Dominator Whip just so I could get the Raidmole's conditional drop more easily. Unfortunately, unlocking the weapons made from the secret area FOEs' drops are kind of tough to do on the first visit, or just flat out impossible. Sometimes you have to kill every single one, and then wait for them to respawn in order to get enough drops to unlock the weapons. Why yes I could have done it the old fashioned way and waited 50 turns in order for Nick's Force meter to charge, but I consider this whip a bit of an investment. And investment that I hope will pay off soon enough.

For comparison, here's the damage from Fedot's Ricochet.

The other Raidmole entered the battle, but...

: Ling! Shield your eyes!

: Mm? :stare::cry:

: Ahhhh... I really needed that.

: Congratulations Nick. You made the panda cry. I hope you're proud of yourself.

: What? All I did was just-

: LA LA LA LA LA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

: Come on, attack me! I dare ya!

: Wrong move, sucker!

Bait/Magibait are some of the Dark Hunter's best damage skills. It's a super powerful counterattack that can proc multiple times on AOEs.

Two more to go, but I can only get one more with the way I've built my Dark Hunter. I'll have to wait for the Raidmoles to respawn to get the last one later.

PC-88 Version

It would be reckless to proceed through the door without knowing what could produce such an aura. It may be wise to refrain from passing through until you can gain more information in town.

: OH COME ON! We finally unlock those doors, and we can't go through this one!?

: I wonder if that key really was a good investment.

: We have several more floors left to check. We'll just come back here later. I really don't think opening this door is a good idea right now.

There's a postgame quest we need to take on before being able to open this door. And trust me, you don't want to see what's behind it at this point.

Not much new has been uncovered, but this is all we can explore on the 2nd floor at this point.

Now for the 3rd floor.

Nick was so close to a level up, that killing some of the super weak first Stratum monsters was enough to push him over.

For now, I'm just gonna increase his damage output. His skillset is getting reworked shortly.

However, the wall before you is thick, and passing it will not be an easy feat. You try to think of some way to pass the forest wall.

: I can hear... hmm. No.

Suddenly, your Troubadour hears something and listens intently, trying to make it out. However, the din of the other party members is making it difficult to concentrate...

: You can hear what?

: What's going on, Gilbert?

: Are you gonna do that weird thing with the trees again?

: Oh wow, I heard about that from the others. I wanna see that for myself!

: SILENCE!

: :stare:

: ...Oh bother, it's useless. I can't hear a thing!

Yep, Gilbert needs to be solo for this next area. I hope you've been raising a Troubador that can survive encounters with the first Stratum enemies on their own. I'll come back for this one later. Now unless you want your Troubadour to solo three Raidmoles at once, I suggest bringing some Sleep and Lure Bells for this secret secret area.

Could these belong to another explorer? You notice a fur boot along with bloody rags... You're almost certain that you encountered a similar situation on some previous adventure. The choice is yours to reach for the fur boot or leave it where it lies.

This is a call back to the first game. If you've played it, you should know fully well what will happen if you say yes.

: This seems familiar. You guys ready for a fight?

: Tch. Always.

: Good, because the moment I pick up this boot, you'll want your weapons out.

: What for?

: You'll see.

You reach out and pick the boot up from the ground. The dirty boot is heavy with a white stone inside that may have been hidden by its owner.

But while your attention is fixed to the stone, the ground begins to rise unnaturally. A terrible beast that must have killed the boot's owner pounces from below the earth!

PC-88 Version

Unlike the first game, you're pitted against 3 FOEs instead of 3 regular enemies.

: Okay, I wasn't expecting three of those things.

: What were you expecting, if I may ask?

: Just the regular moles.

: Go forth!

: Out of my way!

: Hmm, I think I'll inflict... everything!

: HAHAHAHAHAHA!

: Bullseye!

: Shackled. ;)

I'm not sorry for doing this. Any party would have been eaten alive by this event at this point. Raidmoles aren't too bad by themselves. But in groups, they can cause a lot of deaths.

: Go ahead. Atta- No Ling! Don't!

: Great, thanks for ruining my trap.

: Mm. :(

Unfortunately, as powerful as the Bait skills are, they don't proc if a Beast decides to take the bullet, or if the attack misses. Loyalty really has a ton of anti-synergy, which is what makes it one of the worst passives in the game. If you're going to use a Rampage Beast, you need to go all in on that build. Defense is pretty much not an option for those builds.

: ...I don't know if this makes up for that.

Despite that, I manage to make it out of the battle okay, and I got the conditional drop.

PC-88 Version

Our reward for exploring this secret area is a really rare consumable that can't be bought until the postgame. Amrita IIIs are very handy items that can make dungeon treks easier, or turn the tide of a fight.

I'll come back for Gilbert's secret area later.

Next stop is the 5th floor, since there's no locked doors on the 4th floor.

But it's just a treasure room.

The Bind Wall is a very good accessory. It can be handy if you really don't want a party member being disabled by binds, like a support.

Acts like a level 4 Salve 2.

And now we're done with the 5th floor.

Time to see what's behind that shortcut.

PC-88 Version

: Please do not interrupt my stroll.

: For you are no match for me.

Thankfully Gilbert can handle random encounters on his own in this Stratum, so that's not an issue..

However, the wall before you is thick, and passing it will not be an easy feat. Your troubadour's ear picks up an almost inaudible sound amidst the silence... It's very faint, but it's definitely a musical scale.

: Ah, there it is!

You hum along with the scale, and something in the area begins to change... Your voice reverberates through the forest, gaining volume and strength as you go! The trees before you suddenly begin to move as if alive, and a path opens up. You stand in awe at the even, before realizing that the way forward is clear.

: I do wonder how that even works, but I suppose that does not matter.

There's three Raidmoles in this room. They all just look ahead. If you're not hugging the edges of the room, they'll spot you and chase after you.

: I shall have to be careful here. Fortunately...

: I came prepared.

: A nice bit of treasure, but I think I shall not wear it.

HP and TP isn't really a problem for Gilbert, but this might be nice on someone else.

And now we're done with the 3rd floor. For real this time.

For the 2nd Stratum, I'm going with this team instead. I need someone to help deal with damage tiles.

PC-88 Version

Here's the 6th floor's locked door.

It's just another treasure room.

Frost Jars act like a level 2 Cocytus.

Nectar IIIs are another really rare consumable that can't be bought until the postgame. They pretty much take out most of the risk of reviving someone, since party members that are revived at low health have a huge chance to die on the turn they're revived without proper planning. This was the last game they were seen in.

We're still not done with the 6th floor, since there's an area at the bottom we haven't explored yet.

At this point I'm going full on offense for Ling's build. A maxed out Loyalty pretty much gets rid of tanking as an option since that skill doesn't really synergize with anything.

No locked doors on the 7th or 8th floors.

The grass here looks to be well-trod. You can tell the path continues to the other side. The beast in your party snorts happily and darts into the opening! However, its exit is too small, and you cannot follow the beast to the other side. It eventually returns and looks at you quizzically, wondering why you didn't follow it.

: There's no way that any of us can fit through there.

: Mmm?

: Sorry Ling. But it looks like you're gonna have to explore that area by yourself. We can't come with you. The exit is too small.

: Mmm... :(

Yep. This time we need a solo beast. On the plus side, Loyalty won't be in effect, so Ling won't kill himself from trying to defend himself.

Here's this Stratum's secret area FOE.

PC-88 Version

: Gra...

Sonicker
Type: Normal
Behavior: Patrol
Aggressive: No
HP: 1605
AT: 53
DF: 53
Skills: Fangs, Claws
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Steel Beak - See Gryphon bio.
-Drop 2: Pure Quill - See Gryphon bio.
-Drop 3: Ruby Bone - 5 needed for Ruby Gage. 10 needed for Headpiece.
--Wing bones made of a rare glowing substance.
Description: The wind it generates from its wings can boost its speed, allowing it to cut down humans.
Weakness: Stab (125%)
Resistance: N/A

They're basically stronger Gryphons. But a fight with a solo Gryphon always resulted in a blindside, which unfortunately carries over to this FOE. So unless you sneak up on them from behind, you'll always get blindsided. Other than that, they're not really noteworthy. That said, you need to kill 10 of these things to unlock a piece of equipment. Unfortunately, there's only 5 Sonickers in this Stratum, so I have to kill them all, and then wait for them to respawn in order to unlock the Headpiece.

: I'll avenge you, Ling!

: Uh, he's not dead.

: Same difference.

: Since Nick decided to waste all of our funds on a whip, I'm afraid we're gonna have to cut back on buying food, and go back to hunting full time.

: Are you serious?

: I was wondering where all our money went.

: Ow! Have a taste of this!

: Uh...

: I can see that your arrows really did a number on it. Yes, I think it's about to keel over and die right now.

: You don't have to rub it in.

: Shut up Aegis. It's not like you can hit harder.

: Well my job is to protect this team, not to fight. Her job is- ...What the hell is her job?

: Just leave her alone.

Survivalists still have terrible damage. Keep in mind that Sonickers have a Stab Weakness, so Pauline's actually doing more damage than normal. :negative:

: Ha! Your claws are no match for my shield and armor!

: :downs::gibs:

: You idiotic panda! I didn't need saving!

I hate Loyalty so much.

Apollon has a really high damage modifier, but it did barely more damage than a single Ricochet shot. I swear Survivalists were a good class in EO1!

PC-88 Version

An accessory that's nothing but a TP boost. :geno: While TP is important, I don't know if it's worth dedicating one whole equipment slot to it at this point in the game, so I don't have anyone put it on.

: Howdy, explorers. Havin' a safe journey?

The guard continues talking.

: Saw a little girl walkin' around alone not too long ago. Hope she's all right... I called out, but she plum ignored me and kept right on marchin' west.

He looks worriedly to the west.

: Think she went behind the locked doors over yonder... Who knows what in tarnation's behind them? Could even lead to another Stratum... Y'all take real good care now if you go lookin' for her.

Having said his piece, the guard begins to walk away. It's up to you whether to listen to the guard and proceed west, or to resume your journey.

: Could he have been talking about Artelind? Der.. Der... That Gunner did mention that she likes to go to this floor.

: It's worth a shot.

Here's the next locked door. This actually leads to a secret area, and it has a really annoying gimmick.

: Hey! It's the stairs down.

: I don't think that's the way forward.

: But...

: Look, I have a feeli-

: AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!

: Uhh...

: Oh no. Our fearless leader is dead. Well it was nice knowing him, but I suppose we better go back.

: I'm going after him! Geronimo!

: ...She could've just taken the stairs.

: Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

: Are you a jerk to everyone you know?

: You'd be surprised.

: Whatever.

: Ow my- OH GOD!

: Huh. I must've landed on something soft. Fedot! Oh I'm so sorry!

: Gah. It's fine. Where's everyone else? Oh. There they are.

: Yo! You alright? Any injuries or something? I can carry you up those stairs over there!

: I'm fine. I'll just have to be more careful next time.

Here's the stairs back up. So here's the gimmick of this secret area. Invisible pitfalls. You step on the wrong tile, you fall down to this floor, and have to climb back up. There are several of them. There's not really many ways to tell where these pitfalls are, but it's a really annoying area. Thankfully this is the only place where the invisible pitfalls and the safety net floor is used. They were used in the postgames of EO1 and EO3 and invisible pitfalls were used in far nastier ways there. I'll be going through this area next time.

Equipment. Most completely and horribly outdated!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 4, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well theshim had an EO3 LP, but it didn't get very far. :( No idea if he plans to start that up again. I think Rigged Death Trap said he was thinking of doing one, and then there's Crosspeice.

That was doomed to fail because this is a punishing series and he was taking votes on party. What he should've been doing [as I've learned from watching this thread] is setting up a party of four and then asking the thread for a fifth member or just going with that.

I'd be cool with a narrative LP like this or just a mechanical one where the LPer makes their own party for each Stratum. At least with the latter you don't have to worry about votes slowing progress as much.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I don't get this game. They tease you with the doors for the whole game and when you can finally open them it's not worth it.

And then Atlus presents invisible pitfalls because Atlus.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It is kind of weird that this is late-game accessible but the loot really isn't all that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I don't know if I would call the loot bad. Some of them are really expensive consumables that can only be bought in the postgame, and they're really hard to come by since you have to actively restock them. That said, you do need the Tree Key if you're planning on doing the postgame.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I finished recording the next update. It'll cover the rest of the secret areas, and some or all of the 17th and 18th floors. I do have to say that Pauline didn't really contribute much aside from 1st turning Maverick, because her damage output is really really terrible. So, should I give her the postgame bow now? At this point the damage disparity between a Survivalist using the postgame bow and the rest of the party isn't that wide, so she shouldn't snap the game in half in a boring way. And I'm not too concerned about possibly cheesing the boss with it. Because said boss is really pathetic and is generally considered to be the easiest one in the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Give her the Bow

Nick has his Ultimate Weapon so why not.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Yeah, the upcoming boss is a huge loser that will probably die in 1-3 turns.

Use the bow.

Honestly, one of the strongest swords in the game should be pretty easy to get now as well.

Edit: Oh man, it totally escaped me that we're about to get the unlocks from the 4th Stratum boss. Game's gonna get real dumb real fast pretty soon

Reco fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 20, 2015

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Same vote as last time: use the bow.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Give her the bow.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If Nick is already getting his postgame level stuff, then it's only fair to give her the bow.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
*flips all the tables* Give. Bow. NOW.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Give her the bow. You're the one going on about how terrible Survivalist strength is so I don't get why you decided to put your foot down before anyway.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Dr. Fetus posted:

The grass here looks to be well-trod. You can tell the path continues to the other side. The beast in your party snorts happily and darts into the opening! However, its exit is too small, and you cannot follow the beast to the other side. It eventually returns and looks at you quizzically, wondering why you didn't follow it.

But... but beasts look HUGE in their portraits, how can an exit big enough for them be too small for the party? I mean, look at this comic and tell me the party is too big.

Also, USE THE BOW.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Give her the bow. You're the one going on about how terrible Survivalist strength is so I don't get why you decided to put your foot down before anyway.
Back then it put her well ahead of the curve when it came to damage. Now it's needed just to keep pace. If you plan to continue with this party then use the bow. EO2 frequently gives the impression you're supposed to break it because it can be a tremendous pain in the rear end if you play 'fair.'

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I should probably clarify that Nick is not keeping his ultimate weapon, as he is a good class and doesn't need it.

Rangpur posted:

Back then it put her well ahead of the curve when it came to damage. Now it's needed just to keep pace. If you plan to continue with this party then use the bow. EO2 frequently gives the impression you're supposed to break it because it can be a tremendous pain in the rear end if you play 'fair.'

Yeah, basically I'm holding back because it's really easy to vaporize the game's difficulty if you know what to do. Pauline having the bow back in the 3rd Stratum would have broken that part of the game, but in a pretty boring way. I like to get creative when I decide to break any EO game in two.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

I like to get creative when I decide to break any EO game in two.

That's the way to do it! But yeah, if it means keeping pace with the others then give her the Yoichi Bow or whatever it was.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, it was too early when it was first unlocked, but now is the time to unseal Pauline's ULTIMATE POWER. Use that bow!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, basically I'm holding back because it's really easy to vaporize the game's difficulty if you know what to do. Pauline having the bow back in the 3rd Stratum would have broken that part of the game, but in a pretty boring way. I like to get creative when I decide to break any EO game in two.

I am definitely of the "Break the game before you break yourself with frustration" crowd, but I do appreciate your knowledge of the game and nods like this for the LP!

Use that bow!

Now if only Bellamy got something like this so it could go to his head and, knowing your luck, he could immediately have his pride shattered by a lucky (!) string of random deaths!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

On hold until further notice.

• Locked thread