Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If they cranked it out quickly, that would explain why people tend to say this game is basically just feels like an add-on of EO1.

For as horrendously error-ridden and buggy as EO2 is, it isn't nearly as bad as SQ2 was. Lots of skills were broken or didn't work properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hivac posted:

For as horrendously error-ridden and buggy as EO2 is, it isn't nearly as bad as SQ2 was. Lots of skills were broken or didn't work properly.

Yeah, the Ronin was nearly unusable there if you took the wrong skills. And it was hilariously broken if you took one of their skills. Atlus USA had a ton of cleanup to do. They got most of them, but missed a couple.

As for the bug I'm talking about, accepting a certain quest actually raises the encounter rate! More specifically, it makes it so that you can get into battles when turning when that's not supposed to be the case. :cripes: That's not even the last of them either, I know of a few more that are in the game. EO games have always had a few bugs here and there, but I'm amazed at how many I ran into during this LP.

Gonna have the War Magus discussion up soon to make up for the short update.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Class Discussion - War Magus

The rest of the portraits.

They're known as the Doctor Magus in Japan. They're a jack of all trades, master of none. Emphasis on master of none. They're basically a combination of a Landsknecht, Troubadour, and a Medic. A class like this has absolutely no business being on a team. Building a class to be a generalist is a bad thing to do in the EO series, so why would you take a class that's already like that in the first place? Why not go with the classes that already specialize in a certain field? Well if all those classes happened to get nerfed into the ground, the jack of all trades would be the best class to go with for those purposes. Landsknechts... are still better damage dealers than them, but Troubadours lost their ability to restore their party's TP, which the War Magus gained in the form of Transfer. The War Magus' buffs are all single target and only last for 5 turns, but they're a lot stronger than the Troubadour's songs. Medics are more powerful healers, but they're really slow thanks to them being staff wielders. War Magi can use swords, which means they're fast and can heal the party before the enemy moves. Weak healing is much better than getting no healing at all.

Stats

Level 1
HP - 42
TP - 24
STR - 5
TEC - 7
VIT - 4
AGI - 4
LUC - 7

Level 70
HP - 426
TP - 176
STR - 50
TEC - 53
VIT - 63
AGI - 36
LUC - 32

Level 99
HP - 617
TP - 404
STR - 67
TEC - 70
VIT - 81
AGI - 55
LUC - 50

Aside from their TP and vitality, of which they have the 3rd best stats, they're pretty average all around. HP and TP are always a good choice to level up. Level up their strength if you want them to be a damage dealer for some reason, or their technique if you want their healing spells to be more powerful. Because they can equip swords, they're very fast and are much faster than Medics.

War Edge/War Lore

Max lvl: 10

The War Magus' mastery skills. War Edge is for their offensive sword skills, while War Lore is for their healing and buff skills. Both provide an 11% increase in damage/healing when maxed. Yes, War Lore provides less of a bonus the Medic's Healer, which provides a 42% boost to healing. It's one of the main reasons why War Magi are less effective at healing than Medics. I don't recommend building one as a damage dealer, but maxing out War Edge unlocks a really good skill that provides a ton of utility. That said, they pretty much need a Hexer on the team so they can make good use of their sword skills. Now the thing to note about their support skills is that they can't dispel status ailments or binds like the Medic can. Nor can they revive the dead, so keep that in mind.

Regenall

Max lvl: 5

This passive heals all party members by a certain amount by the end of each turn. It heals everyone for 1 HP at level 1, and 5 HP at level 5.

This skill is great for the first Stratum since it's free healing and helps the War Magus save up on TP. You pretty much need all the help you can get in the earlygame. Past that point, it's a waste of skill points and you should Rest the War Magus so the 5 skill points can go elsewhere.

Blindcut/Venomcut/Stuncut

Needs lvl. 1/2/5 War Edge and lvl. 1/2/5 STR Up

These skills bind the head/legs/arms of a blinded/poisoned/paralyzed enemy. They cost 4 TP at level 1 and have a 60% chance to inflict their respective bind. They cost 8 TP at level 5 and have a 70% to inflict their respective bind. At level 10, they cost 13 TP and have 105% chance to inflict their respective bind, and deal 220% damage to the enemy.

All of the War Magus' sword skills are why a Hexer needs to be in the party. The extra effects of the sword skills will not proc if the enemy doesn't have the right status effect. I don't really like these skills, because even though they have the highest chance to inflict binds, resistances still reduce their chances of landing heavily. A Dark Hunter's Dominate is far more reliable as a lockdown skill. It should be noted that all of the War Magus' sword skills are untyped damage, and that they'll still deal the full amount of damage even if the enemy isn't inflicted by a certain status effect.

Sleepcut

Needs lvl. 3 War Edge and lvl. 3 STR Up

This skill does a massive amount of damage to a sleeping enemy. The TP scaling for most of the War Magus' sword skills are exactly the same. At level 10, the skill deals 170% damage normally, but will deal 390% damage if the enemy is asleep.

This is the War Magus' big damage skill. The normal amount of damage is less than their sword bind skills, but the damage from attacking a sleeping enemy with it is much more than any of their other skills, and that's without the bonus damage from attacking a sleeping enemy. The problem with this skill is that the enemy has to be asleep first, and that some other classes could get more out of the bonus damage from attacking sleeping enemies. Feel free to take it if you want your War Magus to contribute though.

Fearcut

Needs lvl. 4 War Edge and lvl. 4 STR Up

The War Magus will restore their own health when striking a terrified enemy with this skill. At level 1, the War Magus absorbs 60% of the damage dealt. At level 5, the War Magus absorbs 70% of the damage dealt. The skill deals 170% damage at level 10, and the War Magus will absorb 105% of the damage dealt.

All I can say is, why? The War Magus can already heal themselves with their healing skills, and they do a much better job of that than this skill. They don't require the enemy to be under the Terror status either to heal anything. Just ignore this skill, it's a waste. The only utility this skill provides is that the War Magus can heal themselves and attack an enemy at the same time.

Cursecut

Needs lvl. 10 War Edge and lvl. 6 STR Up

The War Magus recovers TP when attacking a cursed enemy. At level 1 it costs 4 TP and the TP recovery is 50% of the damage dealt, and at level 5 it costs 8 TP, recovers 60% of the damage dealt, and deals 140% damage.

Damage wise, this skill is the weakest of their sword skills, but it makes up for that with the amount of utility it provides. The War Magus can restore other party members' TP with their Transfer skill, and then refill their own TP pool with this skill. Very handy to have in the mid and lategame, and the fact it deals untyped damage can help with dealing with certain enemies.

Cure

Needs lvl. 1 War Lore

A very basic healing skill that heals a single ally. All of the War Magus' healing skills have the exact same scaling as the Medic's versions. At level 1 it costs 3 TP, heals 35 base HP, and has a speed modifier of 100%. At level 5 it costs 7 TP, heals 65 base HP, and has a 120% speed modifier. At level 10 it costs 12 TP, heals 170 base HP, and has a 190% speed modifier.

Take it for the earlygame, but past that point the healing is too weak so this skill becomes a waste of skill points. Rest the War Magus and put those skill points to use somewhere else once you reach the midgame.

Cure 2

Needs lvl. 3 War Lore
Max level: 10

A stronger version of Cure. At level 1 it costs 9 TP, heals 130 base HP, and has a speed modifier of 75%. At level 5 it costs 13 TP, heals 170 base HP, and has a 95% speed modifier. At level 10 it costs 18 TP, heals 310 base HP, and has a 165% speed modifier.

Only take enough points in this for Salve 2. Cure 3 is by far the better single target ally heal.

Cure 3

Needs lvl. 5 War Lore

Fully restores an ally's health. Leveling up the skill decreases the TP cost and increases the speed modifier.

1 - 38 TP - 50% speed
2 - 34 TP - 54% speed
3 - 30 TP - 62% speed
4 - 26 TP - 74% speed
5 - 22 TP - 90% speed

You should definitely have this skill maxed out by the postgame. It's very handy as an emergency full heal.

Salve

Needs lvl. 7 War Lore and lvl. 3 Cure

An AOE version of Cure.

1 - 18 TP - 50% Speed - Heals 35 Base HP
2 - 21 TP - 54% Speed - Heals 43 Base HP
3 - 24 TP - 62% Speed - Heals 59 Base HP
4 - 27 TP - 74% Speed - Heals 83 Base HP
5 - 30 TP - 90% Speed - Heals 115 Base HP

Useful in the earlygame, falls off fast. Get rid of this skill once you reach the midgame.

Salve 2

Needs lvl. 10 War Lore and lvl. 4 Cure 2

The second tier Salve skill.

1 - 36 TP - 50% Speed - Heals 130 Base HP
2 - 39 TP - 54% Speed - Heals 140 Base HP
3 - 42 TP - 62% Speed - Heals 160 Base HP
4 - 45 TP - 74% Speed - Heals 190 Base HP
5 - 48 TP - 90% Speed - Heals 230 Base HP

Unfortunately, this is the best version of Salve the War Magus gets. They don't get access to Salve 3, so this has to be maxed out. This is another reason why Medics are better at healing, since they can cure all of their party's health with Salve 3.

Warmight

Needs lvl. 2 War Lore

This skill increases an ally's damage. This affects both physical and elemental damage.

1 - 2 TP - 10% damage increase
2 - 3 TP - 15% damage increase
3 - 4 TP - 25% damage increase
4 - 5 TP - 40% damage increase
5 - 6 TP - 60% damage increase

A very strong buff, and provides a bigger damage increase than the Troubadour's Bravery. Definitely take this, because this buff gets stronger the farther you get into the game, since your offensive party members will be dishing out a ton of damage by then.

Rockskin

Needs lvl. 2 War Lore

1 - 2 TP - 5% damage reduction
2 - 3 TP - 8% damage reduction
3 - 4 TP - 13% damage reduction
4 - 5 TP - 20% damage reduction
5 - 6 TP - 30% damage reduction

I'm not really a big fan of defense buffs since the best strategy in this game is to kill everything before it kills you. Besides, a 30% increase in defense really won't make that much of a difference.

Elkspeed

Needs lvl. 2 War Lore

This skill increases an ally's speed by a certain amount.

1 - 2 TP - 10% AGI increase
2 - 3 TP - 15% AGI increase
3 - 4 TP - 25% AGI increase
4 - 5 TP - 40% AGI increase
5 - 6 TP - 60% AGI increase

I would skip this. Speed is one of the least important buffs a party member can have.

Erase

Needs lvl. 3 War Lore

This skill erases buffs from a single enemy. At level 1, it erases 1 buff at the cost of 1 TP, it erases all 3 buffs at the cost of 3 TP at level 3, and at level 5 the TP cost decreases to one.

A fairly useful skill, but I would only take one or two points of it. Enemies don't really stack buffs that often, and getting rid of 2 buffs is pretty much guaranteed to stop that problem.

Transfer

Needs lvl. 1 TP Up

The War Magus transfers their own TP to an ally. This skill can only be used in battle.

1 - 10 TP - 10 TP restored
2 - 12 TP - 13 TP restored
3 - 17 TP - 19 TP restored
4 - 25 TP - 28 TP restored
5 - 36 TP - 40 TP restored

A very useful skill, and combined with Cursecut, The War Magus can provide an infinite amount of TP to the party. Unfortunately, unlike the Troubadour's Bravery from the 1st game, this skill falls off. Recovering 40 TP is handy in the mid and lategame, but postgame you're just better off using Amrita IIs and IIIs for TP recovery.

Gathering Skill: Chop

Force Skill: Invoke

The War Magus fully heals everyone and places a buff on the affected targets that gives them a high resistance to all elements. Unlike the Medic's and Beast's Force Skills, this cannot cure status effects or revive the dead. It's a nice Force Skill, but it's not too useful. It doesn't provide the utility that Painless, Riot Gun, and Dominate do.

War Magi are decent all rounders that can fill several roles. I wouldn't use one as a damage dealer, but they make excellent supports since they're a class that can both heal people and buff them. They're also very fast, which makes them much more appealing than Medics. Their healing is weaker, sure. But they don't have to guess if the party is going to get attacked and waste a ton of TP overhealing their party.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 15, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, the Ronin was nearly unusable there if you took the wrong skills. And it was hilariously broken if you took one of their skills. Atlus USA had a ton of cleanup to do. They got most of them, but missed a couple.

As for the bug I'm talking about, accepting a certain quest actually raises the encounter rate! More specifically, it makes it so that you can get into battles when turning when that's not supposed to be the case. :cripes: That's not even the last of them either, I know of a few more that are in the game. EO games have always had a few bugs here and there, but I'm amazed at how many I ran into during this LP.

Gonna have the War Magus discussion up soon to make up for the short update.
Oh man, I remember that one :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ah, good old scream, I missed you! :3:

It was kind of cute how Mandrakes seemed totally harmless to me for a long time, due to me spamming poison + lots of alchemic fire all the time at this point.

Then one day, when I was just wandering around clearing out some FOEs I forgot, the single Mandrake in that encounter with the bat suddenly used Scream and killed every single one in my party without warning. Total partykill, just out of nowhere.

And so I learned about Scream. :shepface:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Memos From the Past

PC-88 Version

: HA! Finally nailed those pesky bats!

: I wish those things would just hold still for a sec.

: My formulas seem to be in working order. Onwards!

Okay, let's play a lot smarter this time, and hope that the game doesn't decide to randomly screw me over.

There's a series of rooms down here that lead absolutely nowhere.

: Go @%#& and &%#^ yourself! Oh, and &%#$@ with a squid *&%#@ send that to your mom!

: That's quite the colorful language...

: Where did she even learn that?

: :stare: Are you all sure she's not some sort of hellspawn?

: For the last time, yes! :ughh:

: Perhaps you're feeling agitated? This concoction should relax you.

: Thanks gramps! Wow, that took a lot out of me.

: Ah yes. Your blood is mine! Your delicious blood!

: Why. Why did you put me on a team with these people?

: You kept begging me to be put on a team, and now you complain?

Pulling all this off is kind of tedious, but essentially allows our party to last forever in dungeon romps.

I should probably mention that Woodbats do have one more trick to them. They seem like weak enemies, so they're perfect for grinding up Force, right? Well...

: Does anyone hear roaring? And stomping?

: Yeah, I hear it too.

: Hmm, I wonder what that could- OH MY GOD!

If the Woodbats aren't dead by turn 12, they'll summon a Riptor.

: We're getting out! Now!

: How many more of these creatures will it call over!?

Woodbats will keep summoning Riptors until they die.

: THIS ISN'T WHAT I- :gibs:

: Ha ha!

: :gibs:

: Gramps!

Oh right. I should probably highlight how terrifying this situation actually is.

Riptor
HP: 3200
AT: 80
DF: 80

Riptors are postgame FOEs. More specifically, from the 27th floor! Run.

: AAAAAHHHHH!

: Do you really have to scream while running? :ughh:

: But it's fun!

Nitemare
HP: 456
AT: 54
DF: 42
Exp: 3245
Skills: Horror
Item Drops:
-Common: Black Hoof - 1 needed for Rune Tweed. 2 needed for Lochaber (Axe.) 5 needed for Bardiche (Axe.)
--Pitch-black hooves of a dark horse.
-Rare: N/A
-Conditional: N/A
Description: A horse that stalks the darkness, swiftly crushing any who attempt to mount it.
Weakness: Fire (150%)
Resistance: N/A

The only noteworthy thing about these enemies is that they'll always target the party member with the lowest amount of HP in the front row. Horror is just a hard hitting skill that has a low chance to inflict terror and deals splash damage.

: And #$%^#% mouth $%@^# while you're at it!

: I thirst for blood!

: My blood runs cold.

: Ha ha! Uh, not laughing at you, gramps.

There's an FOE patrolling right around this area. I don't advise fighting it at all unless your party is very powerful.

PC-88 Version

Deathman
Type: Normal
Behavior: Patrol
Aggressive: Yes
HP: 1755
AT: 57
DF: 57
Skills: Edge
Item Drops:
-Common: Jet Shard - 1 needed for Wild Beads.
--Broken piece of a black knight's helm.
-Rare: Metal Chip - 1 needed for Circlet. 3 needed for War Flail. 10 needed for Onimaru (Katana.)
--Sharp, silvery fragment of some sort of metal.
Description: A suit of jet black armor that patrols the castle, cursed sword in hand.
Weakness: Volt (125%)
Resistance: Fire (50%), Ice (50%), Physical (50%)

They hit very hard with their regular attacks, and Edge is a physical AOE that has a moderate chance of inflicting instant death. I would seriously avoid these until you're more powerful. They're very dangerous FOEs.

: Interesting, armor that can walk around on its own.

: I wonder if they're haunted.

: Ha! Well if its a ghost, I'd like to see it stand up to this!

: Lie down. Have a cookie.

Ha! I didn't expect that to work! Deathman are very resistant to status effects.

: Mm, I think my formulas were more effective.

I just got really lucky here. Deathman fights rarely go that smoothly.

PC-88 Version

Satisfied, you examine the wall before you and find strange hieroglyphs drawn there. It is nothing like the written language you know, and will be quite difficult to decipher. You could try to decipher it with the knowledge you've gained in your adventures...

: Hmm, let me see if I can read this... Oh!

A flash of white.

Using every half-remembered scrap of information, you slowly piece together the meaning. Your lips move as you begin to understand, involuntarily reading the message out loud.

Immediately upon reading the last line, you stiffen as a light rises from beneath you. The light disappears with no ill effect, and indeed your body feels lighter... It seems the light was meant to heal rather than to harm!

: Well, that was refreshing. Maybe we should remember this spot for la- oh.

However, the glyphs on the wall begin to crumble, as if their duty has been fulfilled. You silently thank the castle's mysterious power and hurry onward with your exploration.

: What a shame. This could have been been a handy spot to revisit.

: But at least we all got healed!

PC-88 Version

: :black101:

Ah, sweet catharsis.

Also, it turns out that Emilia is strong enough to one shot them herself. So all I really have to worry about is being blindsided.

: Why didn't you heal me? :gibs:

: Oh, sorry. I had to regain my strength.

Of course one of the disadvantages of Cursecut is that the War Magus will be busy trying to restore their own TP at the cost of not being able to heal anyone for the turn.

Everyone aside from Aliara, who maxed out her TP pool, is working on raising their HP. At this point, it's absolutely important that I increase my party's defenses as much as possible.

PC-88 Version

There are two Deathman patroling the right area.

And there's a Chop point here.

Chop:
Common: Gum String - 3 needed for Tormentor (Whip.) 5 needed for Shidgedou (Katana.)
-Thin, golden threads coated in rubbery skin.
Uncommon: Ironwood - 3 needed for Ebon Staff
-Long, thin club that's hollow in the middle.
Rare: Light Chip - Unlocks nothing.
-Gold fragment with a circular engraving.

Huh, those don't sound like natural materials at all.

The first one is eliminated easily.

: Child's play.

PC-88 Version

The 2nd is a different story.

: Bah, more of these? I'll just crush them all like bugs.

: How is this possible?

Oh crap, there goes my firepower,

I should probably note that my back is pinned against a wall, so I can't run from this battle.

: Bellamy! Get up!

: I'm back, you subnormal halfwit!

Crap.

Crap!

: Never mind.

CRAP!

Fortunately, it didn't opt to use Edge a third time.

: All of you! Wake up!

I didn't want to have to use that, but the game forced my hand there. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

: It'll take more than that to keep me down!

: Back again! Now it's personal!

: Finally!

All her other Torpor attempts just ended up in failure.

: Payback time, you metal abomination!

I thought I was about to game over there for a second, but I made it through that fight.

PC-88 Version

: This is redundant.

Same attack power, just has a different element. Emilia being able to dish out Volt damage provides a lot more for her than being able to stab things.

Back in the central area, there are two more Deathman patrolling the hallways.

The flavor text for finding the right entrance to a shortcut is also different.

: Hey, what's this?

: Careful with that, you don't know what it could do.

PC-88 Version

It seems to have been neglected for years, but it somehow manages to catch your interest. Though pressing it seems to accomplish nothing, before long a disembodied voice sounds.

The mysterious voice abruptly ends there. You cock your head, marveling at the strange phenomenon, before returning to your quest.

: What was that about?

: Hmm... Well, we're not gonna find out any more by standing around. Come on, there's still some floor left to explore.

If you've played the first game, remember that both EO1 and EO2 take place in the same world. If you haven't, this is meaningless to you, but feel free to speculate.

PC-88 Version

Over to the left is just the other Chop Point.

We're completely done with the 21st floor. Take note of the floor shape, because all the floors in this Stratum have a similar shape. It's a nice little touch.

: Those who have fallen to earth. What are your feelings on the dispensation of nature?

: Huh?

: Wha?

The question perplexes you, but the mysterious voice has not finished speaking...

: The dispensation of nature is death. Those who live will one day die. It is inexorable. What if you could defy it, however... thereby overthrowing death itself? I have researched the problem of death for many aeons. You shall be put to good use. The greater one's vitality, the more effective the sacrifice...

The mysterious voice falls silent once again. You have no choice but to press onward...

: Well, this sheds some light on a lot of things.

: Like what?

: I'll... tell you later. Maybe.

: Did he say he wanted to use us? I'm not letting that Overlord turn me into a monster!

: Relax, Aliara. I won't let him do that to us. I hope.

New floor, so let's go back to town and see what the NPCs have to say.

PC-88 Version

: If you have time to spare, I could offer you some tea...

: I could go for some, yes.

: Oh, your sleeves are smudged. It would be no trouble for me to find you new clothes...

: Uh, what? Is that okay? You don't have to do this.

: You are heroes of Lagaard. No one would think twice about donating one or two shirts! Ah, here they are now. Follow her to the changing room, and we'll talk afterwards. I expect great things from you, Guild Firefly.

PC-88 Version

: ...Oh.

: That floating castle you discovered... I wonder why such a thing was built. Nothing in this world is done without reason. There must be a motive behind the castle. Perhaps it was created to show off some country's power... I'm not certain our entry into the castle is entirely a good thing, to be honest. If anything unusual happens, tell me at once. I'll provide whatever support I can.

: ...You've done well, Firefly. I'm proud of you all.

: Uh, thank you.

PC-88 Version

: Smoothly. Aside from almost getting knocked out by screaming plants a couple of times.

: I thought my brain was gonna explode when I heard those things!

: I heard the Grand Duchy sent some guards up there... Think they'll be all right?

: Uh, how much experience do they have?

: I'm going to guess little to none.

: If they were as strong as yeh lot, I wouldn't worry, but... They're not.

: ...Yeah they're gonna die.

: Aliara!

: What? It's true!

: She does have a point.

: It's not as though yeh know every nook and cranny, but yeh'd still do better than that lot. Hmm... The floating castle floats... All right, enough of that, just hear me out! It's huge, but it floats in the air, right? And it was built forever ago! I just wonder if the castle can support the weight of all those people in it at once.

: I... think we'll be fine.

: Well, whatever... Just so long as yeh lot don't die in the crash! Aren't I a sweetheart? I sure would't want it falling on my head! Haw haw haw!

: Ha! We're doing fine!

: I'm really happy that someone I know found the castle first!

: Should we tell her about Cass'...

: Pfft, who cares about her? We're the ones who came back alive!

: Now, whenever I have a customer, I tell them all the stories you told me about the castle! So keep stopping by and keep the stories coming!

PC-88 Verison

: It looks like my assumptions on the floating castle were correct! You finally climbed to the very top of Yggdrasil... I know you could do it!

: Uh, actually-

: Old news, doc. We're on the 22nd floor!

: What...? You're already at the 22nd floor!? But I only just heard that you found the castle! Well, I don't need to tell veterans like yourself not to let their guard down, but... Take care of your health while you're in the Labyrinth!

: What?

: What do you mean, "What?" You found the castle! And I had to hear about it secondhand! I knew you'd be the first ones to make it up there, though. Now I can brag to everyone I know that you stay at our very own inn! Why, I was out shopping and the clerk said, "Oh, I saw the guys who found the castle." So I got to say to him, "Oh, them? They're practically my own children! Bahahaha!" Well, I know you're still exploring the castle, so take it one step at a time, okay?

PC-88 Version

Let's take on some quests.

: Ah, are yeh taking on that quest? It'd be a big help. It's from a lad around here. He's a guard's only child, and he's a bit of a bookworm. His dad was having none of that, and said any son of his should be practicing the sword. The lad dutifully tried his hand at the Labyrinth's beasties, but he's so clumsy! It's a sad story for them both. I guess yeh can't force someone to be who they're not. But the next thing yeh know, the kid gets cozy with a lady scholar without telling dad. She's s'posed to be some type of astronomy professor at the Grand Duchy. Well, the dad went ballistic. He stormed off to the Labyrinth and hasn't been seen since. Now the two young scholars have decided to marry, and he wants his dad's approval. I couldn't stand listening to the boy any longer, so I told him to file a request.

: That's a quest?

: I was kind of expecting something more... important.

: Oi, a quest is a quest, innit!? It even has a proper reward! Come on now! Where to start...? Well, the dad's a career soldier, so he wouldn't stray from his duties. He's usually posted on the bottom floor of the Heavenly Keep. G'luck up there!

: Now what's going on with this one?

: Ah, that quest... It's from the same healer as before. Yeh'd be perfect to handle this one. I haven't got the details, but I hear they've discovered some new medication. If all goes well, the economy should get a little boost from that. And of course, it'd be a boon in yer line of work as well. Anyways, head to the Hospital. They can tell yeh more there. G'luck!

: Lemme see this one.

: Yeh're taking THAT quest!? Hawwww haw haw haw!

: What's so funny?

: Maybe he was just laughing for no reason?

: What...? No, I wasn't laughing for no reason! I'm no freak! It's another job from the doc, yeh see. Looks like he's got some good news for yeh. Why don't yeh head over to the hospital and ask him about it?

PC-88 Verison

: You must be here about our request! Thanks, we appreciate this. Our recent research has led to some new breakthroughs using materials from the Labyrinth. We can't take all the credit, since it was explorers who found the raw materials... But our initial tests on humans indicate that these compounds have medicinal applications. We've always had theories along these lines, but the experiments were never stable. But with this new substance, we finally got a stable result! Isn't that amazing!? With this, we can minimize the loss of lives!

: Uh, could you get to the point?

: Oh... Sorry about that. It's just a pet topic of mine. I need you to acquire some more raw materials for us. Specifically, 2 Life Honeys and 1 True Shard. I heard you can get them from the monsters of the 25th floor, but that's unconfirmed so far. We're in close contact with Sitoth Trading, so sell whatever you find to them. Good luck to you, and thanks again!

The Life Honey is a common Take point item from the 22nd floor. But he's wrong about the True Shard. You can get those off of certain enemies on the 24th floor. Anyways, let's see what he has to say about the tree quest.

: Do you remember the medicine my assistant was testing solo?

: Oh yeah, couldn't forget that kind of stupidity.

: The one for the withered trees... The Northern Academy has finally approved its use! This calls for a celebration! If it weren't for you...

: Oops! Sorry, I lost track of time... I'm so unprepared! Anyhow, I'd like you to--

: Come ON! Everything's ready! You have to go! That man... When he gets started on medicine, it's like he enters another world.

: Tell me about it.

: Anyway, we should go, too.

: Wait a minute, just what are we doing?

: Hmm...? Wait, he didn't tell you anything? But it looked like he was talking so much...! Ooooh, I can't believe him! Okay, I'll explain. That salve I was testing was accepted by the Northern Academy for general use. So we'd like you to come into the Labyrinth and help us apply it to four areas:

: If anyone is injured such that they can't walk, we'll put the whole expedition on hold. As you'd expect, and outing of doctors and assistants is very safety-conscious! I'll come with you. Just try to make sure no one gets heavily injured. Now, shall we head out?

So basically another escort mission and a tile hunt. Yay.

Equipment:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 31, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Oh jeez I didn't know they showed up here :stare:

By the time you run into them with a good party they're a joke but holy cow this is really early for that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, I didn't even know about the bats and the Riptors. No bat ever made it to turn 2 with me. Looks like I've dodged a hail of bullets there! :v:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

So you have to get to round 12 without killing the bats to see them - sounds like it`s the game`s way of telling you you should go to a lower floor and train more.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Just when you think Atlus couldn't get any worse. :stonk:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

BlazeEmblem posted:

So you have to get to round 12 without killing the bats to see them - sounds like it`s the game`s way of telling you you should go to a lower floor and train more.
No, no, no. You're giving Atlus far too much credit here. They do that specifically to gently caress over parties who try to grind Force points off them. Everything else on these floors is too big a pain in the rear end to bother with, but the bats? They don't do anything threatening, which makes them perfect! Until you reach turn 12. And you will want to farm Force points for a boss coming up in the near future.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, Atlus definitely knew how powerful Force Skills were. There's proof of that later in the game. I don't know why they left them alone as is when they knew just how broken they were.

I really probably shouldn't be doing this, but I'll open up party votes again once I reach floor 23. Which should be soon. The first half of the Stratum is fairly short and easy to navigate through. The second half is a different story. Also,

Mandrakes are such cool enemies. :bang:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I'm just sorta baffled because I never actually had Scream used against me at all in any of my playthroughs.

Weird!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Mandrakes are such cool enemies. :bang:

Oof. Thanks for suffering through for our entertainment!

It really can't be said enough how unforgivably balanced these games are, and Mandrakes are the exception that prove the rule. What I've loved in this LP is seeing both how 90% of skills are dead weight, but every class can be made workable, even if they can be completely and utterly out-shined by another class.

Or in Pauline's case, you need a post-game bow early, otherwise she'll just bring blindside guard if not replaced by a gunner.

Old Greg fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 16, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hivac posted:

I'm just sorta baffled because I never actually had Scream used against me at all in any of my playthroughs.

Weird!

The RNG at work!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Welcome to the Thunderdome

PC-88 Version

He glances in your direction without paying much heed.

: Whaddaya want? You come here to try to change my mind?

: You know?

The guard has anticipated your quest, it seems. You aren't sure how to proceed from here.

: Heh. Figures... This is a nice place, isn't it? Real peaceful. Brings back some memories...

You step beside the guard and look to see the sky, but all you see is a dark green ceiling.

: Tell me... is my boy refusing to get hitched without my approval?

It all comes down to this point, it seems. You carefully weight your response... Much hinges on appeasing the guard!

The guard heaves a small sigh at your response.

: I see... You're probably right. He's always been that way. Always eager to please me, to get in his dad's good graces. And he hasn't changed.

The guard looks directly at you and chuckles softly.

: When he finally came to me and told me straight up that he was engaged, I was happy. But if he's changing his mind based on what I might say... I've gotta question his resolve. It's clear my son isn't ready for his commitment. Tell him... his dad doesn't approve.

With this, the guard walks deeper into the castle and disappears from your sight. This can't be...! You failed to understand the father, and the son will pay the price! You feel as though you must set this right, but where has the man gone? You hesitate, unsure whether to find the guard again, or to put the whole business behind you.

So there's a couple of different spots the guard can be found at depending on the time of day. From midnight to 7 AM, he can be found on this spot.

From 8 AM to 5 PM he can be found on this spot. Unfortunately, I don't know where he can be found from 6 PM to 11 PM.

: These are severe wounds! We can't let them go untreated! We'll have to postpone the quest for now and hurry back to the hospital!

The quest has failed. If you wish to try again, cancel it and accept it again at the bar.

And in my attempt to find the 3rd guard spot (before giving up on that), Emilia died, which meant I failed the tree quest. Angie's reaction is delayed though. So if you just revive all dead party members before taking a step, that won't happen.

: Uhhhhh, no?

Anyways, you have to lie to him to complete the quest. Saying yes means that you have to go to a different tile to search for him.

The guard laughs softly upon hearing your response.

: Yeah uh, I think he's tired of trying to please you.

: Heh... You think so, too? I felt the same way.

The guard lets out a deep sigh and faces you directly.

: When my boy finally told me straight up he was engaged, I couldn't have been happier. A child who lives in his dad's shadow will always be a child. But my boy's making decisions on his own now... That shows he's finally a man. Would you do me a favor and deliver a message to my boy?

: Sure.

: I don't approve of his marriage. If he falls on hard times, he shouldn't look for my help. Once he's married, I'm cutting ties. If he's set on getting hitched even with all that... Oh, and give him this, too.

The guard hands you something before turning his back and disappearing into the castle. Is it some way of obliquely showing his true feelings...? You stow the item into your bag and move onward. When you have time, return to the bar to complete the quest!

: Now what?

: I believe that's the best we're going to get out of him. We should proably return to the bar.

PC-88 Version

: Ah, yeh're back! Did you find that old sourpuss?

: Yes. He said that he didn't approve.

: He said that, did he? Haw...! What a stubborn old coot. Ahh, he's probably got a lot on his mind. Things don't always work out for the best. I'll pass the message on to the lad.

: Give him this, too.

: What's this...?

: It's something he wanted us to give his son. What is it, anyway?

: The dad gave it to yeh? It's an old pendant, but very valuable. Looks like there's an engraving on the back, too. ...Haw haw haw! That old man's got style! This pendant belonged to the lad's mother. It's not a gift for his son. The old coot means for him to give it to his bride-to-be. It means, "Congratulations!" So he does have his son's interests in mind after all... I s'pose he always knew his son had become a man, and knew what he'd have to do. Well, this'll help the message go down easier. Looks like yer work here is done! Here's yer reward, and come back anytime!

And now for the tree quest. There's 4 locations you have to go to, and if anyone dies and you forget to revive them, you have to start all over.

: We made it! Let's get started!

She digs into her bag, removing various tools... You are spellbound to watch her work.

: Okay, all done! Don't worry, the trees around here will soon be good as new.

Intimidated by her unyielding smile and resolve, you move onward.

You can also use Warp Wires to get out immediately after going to a spot.

Here's the next spot. The text is the same most of them.

Here's the third spot.

Here's the last spot for the quest.

: All right, this should be the last one! Hold on a moment, I'll take care of--Yeeeeeek!

Alarmed by her scream, you look to see a bizarre new monster slash downward at the assistant! She dodges quickly, but the blood welling up from the small cut has whet its appetite... You have no choice but to draw your wapons and face the fiends head on to protect her!

PC-88 Version

: What's that thing doing down here?

The last spot will force you into a battle.

Invader
HP: 1200
AT: 60
DF: 47
Exp: 0
Skills: Paralyze, Fang
Item Drops: N/A
Description: This creature's mucus erodes tree bark, killing the tree to expose the nutritious sap within.
Weakness: Volt (150%)

Just a stronger Venombug. Yawn.

: Bellamy, did you ever learn what overkill was?

: No.

This enemy doesn't give out any exp despite the regular battle music playing. That's because the Invader is actually an FOE. You see, the game was supposed to play the FOE music for this fight, and it does that if the 2nd, 6th, and 9th floor spots were the last spots you went to. But if you chose the 15th floor as your last stop, the regular battle music plays instead. Good job Atlus. You did some fantastic QA for this game. :downsbravo:

PC-88 Version

Seemingly oblivious to the peril she was in, the assistant examines its head.

For some reason, her portrait doesn't show up in this scene. I have no idea if that was intentional or not. But given the amount of bugs in the rest of the game, I'm inclined to think this is another one.

Curious, you look closer and see the liquid from before on the monster's fangs.

: The incisors are spaced and sized consistently with the scratches on the trees...

: I think we might have found our culprit.

: I'd better find the doctor and let him know!

You help treat the wound on her arm and finish your work here. As you are well aware, she is not considered a part of Firefly...

You're kidding me.

You must either return by foot or access a Geomagnetic Field! May luck be with you!

:bang: Yes, if you use a Warp Wire, you instantly fail the quest, and have to do everything all over again. Even though the game lets you use a Warp Wire at any other time! This is just a random screw you placed in. Like before, you can cheese this part with a Warp Stone if you came from a Geomagnetic Field. If you used a Pole, tough.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a Warp Stone, so I had to walk all the way back.

The assistant nods her thanks to you and uses the Geomagnetic Field to return to Lagaard. You have successfully escorted the assistant back to safety. Now you need only to return to the city yourself, and the quest will be complete!

PC-88 Version

: Welcome back! You did another great job out there. Our work is finished, but we couldn't have done it without your help. Oh, don't forget to pick up your reward at the bar! Why don't we meet up again sometime? Preferably not as patient and nurse... Hee hee!

With a wide smile, the assistant waves happily before returning to the hospital. The quest is complete! Report your success to the bar to claim your reward.

: Did she just...?

: Who was she even...?

: I don't want to think about it.

: Ahhh, welcome back! I heard the news... yeh're all done! Sounds like yeh were up close to that assistant again, too. Well done! But yeh're having all the fun! Remember, saving other people is great and all, but be sure to take care of yerselves, too! Haw haw! Come back anytime!

Meh. Let's get back to exploring the 22nd floor.

PC-88 Version

Are you kidding me!?

Oh, phew! Those things were responsible for a couple of game overs.

: I just bought new armor!

: MMPH MMMMMPH!

: Grmph.

: Missed me!

Nozuchi
HP: 387
AT: 42
Exp: 2700
Skills: Tailash, Vine
Item Drops:
-Common: Pale Hull - 1 needed for Steel Gun, Fur Boot, and Axcela. 3 needed for Dotanuki (Katana) and Evil Arm. 10 needed for Shidgedou (Bow.)
--Nozuchi's outer shell, made of blue metal.
-Rare: Crabapple - See 4th Stratum Take info.
Description: A dangerous forest snake that has evolved into a smaller size in exchange for control over ice.
Weakness: Fire (150%)
Resistance: Ice (0%)

Nothing's really notable about them. Tailash attempts to inflict random binds on your whole party, which can be very annoying. Vine is a pretty weak Ice attack.

: How shocking!

PC-88 Version

Nothing up at the top, so let's explore the sides.

Here's a Take Point, and a very important one!

Take:
Common: Life Honey - 1 needed for Bravant and Axcela, 2 needed for Nectar II. 3 needed for Soma. 4 needed for Hamao. 5 needed for Nectall. 2 needed for the quest Healing innovations.
-Healing honey that restores some HP.
Uncommon: Wild Rose - Unlocks nothing.
-Brilliant pink flower that restores some TP.
Rare: Odd Fruit - 1 needed for Flame Jar, Frost Jar, and Storm Jar. Limited Stock.
-Human-shaped fruit used to activate talismans.

The uncommon and rare items aren't that important, but that Life Honey unlocks a lot of good consumables. This is where you can finally unlock Axcelas, and you'll probably want to do that for an upcoming boss. Nectalls are also very handy to have at this stage in the game.

There's also a Red FOE here, that doesn't seem to be moving at all.

: Why is this thing staying still?

: Let me get a closer look.

PC-88 Version

: I remember there was an FOE that looked like this back in the third Stratum. They're awake at night.

: Huh, I guess the same might apply to these ones.

:sigh: Yeeeeeep, it's the return of the nocturnal FOEs.

Evildra
Type: Red
Behavior: Nocturnal, Patrol
Aggressive: No
HP: 5000
AT: 75
DF: 75

Like the Helldras, they're resistant to elementals. They're also heavily resistant to status effects. Oh, and don't try to kill these things. Why?

That's why. They'll always use Charge on their first turn, and then Banquet, which is a guaranteed party wipe at this point. You only have 2 turns to take them down, and their stats are too high to make a dent in them. And since they're Red FOEs, you can't use any of the bells to move them out of the way.

PC-88 Version

Ebonwing
HP: 393
AT: 43
Exp: 3203
Skills: Wing
Item Drops:
-Common: Coal Bone - 1 needed for Expel Coat and Vigor Belt. 2 needed for Melputteh (Sword.)
--Charred bone fragment of a black wing.
-Conditional: Coal Skull - Don't kill with physical. 1 needed for Comet Whip. 1 needed for the quest The opposing one.
--Preserved skull of a winged dragon.
Description: This winged horror's control of sharp, biting winds allow it to hunt multiple prey at once.
Weakness: Fire (125%), Ice (150%)

Weaker versions of Darksoars. Wing hits everyone in the party for light damage.

: Frederik! I need a refill!

: Coming right up!

So yeah, Bellamy can wipe out everything easily, at the cost of requiring a ton of TP support. Unfortunately, Transfer can't keep up with that.

More HP for Bellamy. I don't know if this will be enough for him.

PC-88 Version

As you can see on the map, there's no way to move on.

: There's no way to budge this thing, is there?

: I'm afraid not.

: Fantastic. :sigh:

: Look on the bright side! At least the look of this place will be easier to stomach at night!

One nap later...

: All right, time to move out!

And the Evildras are moving!

Here's the patrol path for this one.

And the one in the middle of this floor.

More HP for everyone. I really hope that this will be enough for something coming up.

Another Evildra to the right, normally that conveyor belt is blocked off at day.

I would say that this would be handy for an upcoming boss, but it's not. In fact, using this would actually be worse than not using it in said fight.

The last Evildra on this floor. All of them block off conveyor belts. That said, if it turns day all the Evildras will stop in place, so if they're not blocking off the conveyor belts, you don't have to worry about dodging them.

Here's the other Take Point.

: Hmm, north or west?

I say west, it leads to that treasure we saw earlier.

: More supplies would be good.

: Treasure! Treasure!

: North!

: :mad:

: West it is.

Some decent armor, but I don't put it on anyone for now.

Now the stairs are right here, but I'm not actually done with the floor yet.

: Hey, another button! Can I press it?

: Go ahead.

PC-88 Version

It seems to have been neglected for years, but it somehow manages to catch your interest. Though pressing it seems to accomplish nothing, before long a disembodied voice sounds.

The mysterious voice abruptly ends there. You cock your head, marveling at the strange phenomenon, before returning to your quest.

: I'm afraid I have no idea what any of that meant.

: Same here.

: Interesting...

PC-88 Version

Satisfied, you examine the wall before you and find more of the hieroglyphs drawn there. It is nothing like the written language you know, and will be quite difficult to decipher. You could try to decipher it with the knowledge you've gained in your adventures...

: Another one? Let me see if I can read this.

Using every half-remembered scrap of information, you slowly piece together the meaning. Your lips move as you begin to understand, involuntarily reading the message out loud...

As you finish reading the last line, you hear something from the other side of the wall! You can investigate the sound or continue to explore the castle.

This event is a little special. What it does is activate another event later. Now I would just head back to the stairs, but unfortunately, something bad happened on my way back.

PC-88 Version

I got into a fight with an Evildra. But more importantly, I'm pinned against the wall. :suicide:

: We're trapped!

: Oh that's just great. :bang:

Might as well go down fighting.

: I don't like the looks of that.

: We're going to die, aren't we?

: I... don't know. Sorry everyone.

: Even then, I'll fight back as much as I can!

: I don't think that was enough.

Well that's normally a good amount of damage, but the thing has 5000 HP!

Maybe I chipped off enough HP to kill it in two turns. Maybe I still have a chance.

Should give a damage boost to the rest of my party.

That's not enough damage! :smithicide: Whatever, I've made too much progress. Might as well save the map data.

: It was nice working with you guys.

:stare: Wait, WHAT!?

: :stonk:

: HA! It's not over yet!

: She just stopped it in its tracks.

: Well, in that case...

I got very very lucky here. Evildras are resistant to status effects. Aliara just saved everyone from dying and bought me more time.

: Goddammit.

Oh come on, I just bought myself another turn and this happens?

This fight just went from unwinnable to possible.

Stop toying with my heart!

: I guess it only works once.

I don't know if the party could survive an uncharged Banquet, but I don't want to find out.

Okay, I'll take that.

Gaaaaahhh, I'm so close!

: Get up, gramps!

: My thirst for blood cannot be subdued!

: Good riddance!

: :stare: So, Aliara. Is there something you want? Like some candy or something?

: I'll think about it. Oh hey, Emilia.

: What?

: Could you... say something for me?

: What are you... you're kidding. Fine! Grrr... Th-th-th-

I could not believe what just happened. I did not think I was gonna make it through that fight. Aliara singlehandedly saved the whole team.

PC-88 Version

: Th-th-thank you.

: There, was that so hard?

: Oh come on, I don't get any credit? I killed the monster!

: Mmmm... fine!

: Wait, are you seriously...?

: Hey, you're the one that killed it.

: :hfive:

: FINALLY!

Right, the Evildras.

Evildra
Behavior: Nocturnal, Patrol
Aggressive: No
HP: 5000
AT: 75
DF: 75
Skills: Charge, Banquet
Item Drops:
-Common: Evil Bone - 1 needed for Godendag (Staff.)
--Hardened scales from a many-headed dragon.
Description: Its true intelligence is in its center, which directs the rest of the poison-fanged heads.
Weakness: N/A
Resistance: Elemental (50%)

They'll spend their first turns charging up, and then using Banquet. After that, they'll do whatever. Physical attacks are the way to deal with them. But save these guys for later when Banquet won't one shot your party.

Anyways, after all that, the 22nd floor is, well not quite done, but we can't access the sides just yet.

This floor probably brings back some bad memories for EO2 players.

: Those who have fallen to earth. Have you no interest in gaining immortality?

The question rings in your ears as if a corporeal presence had spoken if not two feet away.

: Have those who have fallen to earth forgotten the terror of the shadow of death? Influential men, mighty kings... All who gained power shared the same dream in their hearts. Immortality. Countless men yearned for it, and each faced death in turn regardless. The Grail of Kings I have obtained is what gives humans the power to overcome death. Do not approach me lightly. On this very floor is one who was once a veteran explorer... Through the power of the Holy Grail, he has been granted might beyond his human form...

The mysterious voice takes on a slightly taunting tone, as if amused.

: To protect my research, I gave him the power of immortality, creating the Colossus! I look forward to seeing your mere human's strength pitted against its almighty power...

The voice falls silent. Whatever it spoke of is beyond your understanding... But from what you could deduce, a fearsome enemy awaits you on this very floor! Your heart races as you proceed through the Labyrinth with the utmost caution...

Colossus is the final Stratum boss in the game, and is very infamous for being a brick wall. It's what was what I was worried about all this time, because you fight it on this floor.

: What the hell was he going on about?

: Uh, Fedot? Look at the map!

: Hmm? Oh dear.

: Excuse me while I have a heart attack.

: That's a lot of FOEs! :stonk:

The moment you go through that door, all these FOEs spawn.

: Should we just make some preparations and come back?

: Yes. Let's.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 31, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

: Th-th-thank you.

: There, was that so hard?

: Oh come on, I don't get any credit? I killed the monster!

: Mmmm... fine!

: Wait, are you seriously...?

: Hey, you're the one that killed it.

I know I'm repeating myself a lot, but I absolutely love your writing. :kimchi:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I forgot that he wanted a hi five. In my mind, when Aliara saved the party, Bellamy tries to hug her, but she stops him every time. This is preferable, no romantic nonsense here.

But uh, since Hexer's have their limbs chained, it would be difficult for them to hi five. :eng101:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It's not immediately obvious in all the Hexer portraits, but the fringes of their spooooky cloaks appear to behave a lot like hands. And yeah, this floor is pretty brutal even before you reach Colossus. Is it true Phys Mist doesn't work in that fight? I was willing to swear that was the only reason I was able to beat it my first time through the game.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Fedot posted:

Bellamy, did ever learn what overkill was?

You're missing a word there.

Rangpur posted:

Is it true Phys Mist doesn't work in that fight? I was willing to swear that was the only reason I was able to beat it my first time through the game.

It does work. It just doesn't work because gently caress THE COLOSSUS.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

I forgot that he wanted a hi five. In my mind, when Aliara saved the party, Bellamy tries to hug her, but she stops him every time. This is preferable, no romantic nonsense here.

But uh, since Hexer's have their limbs chained, it would be difficult for them to hi five. :eng101:

Dude. The purple haired Hexers are 12. I would not try to write about that kind of thing with them! :barf: I've got some editing to do then.

As for that second statement, they're using their staves somehow. :v: Also EMD shows them with actual arms.

Rangpur posted:

It's not immediately obvious in all the Hexer portraits, but the fringes of their spooooky cloaks appear to behave a lot like hands. And yeah, this floor is pretty brutal even before you reach Colossus. Is it true Phys Mist doesn't work in that fight? I was willing to swear that was the only reason I was able to beat it my first time through the game.

Oh, the Phys Mist WORKS, but it's a bad idea because Mad Rush.

Level Seven posted:

You're missing a word there.

Fixed. Thank you.

Gonna try to have the Colossus writeup in a day or so. And then you all can vote on who gets to fight it. :suicide: I guess anyone can share their Colossus horror stories in the meantime. This is where I'm going to be forced to drop the LP, aren't I?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Sorry, I wasn't being creepy. I was thinking more on the lines of spontaneous hugging when something amazing happens.

Also, 12 year olds should not know that many curse words then. They do. But they shouldn't.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That was some luck on the Evildra there. You accomplished the impossible once again, Dr. Fetus, even if this time not on purpouse. More importantly though...

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yessss. I voted them because I wanted Bellamy to get his happy ending and he did. Now he can Thor people with just that bit more of happiness in his heart.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Dude. The purple haired Hexers are 12. I would not try to write about that kind of thing with them! :barf: I've got some editing to do then.

Yuji managed to get away with a portrait of that Hexer in EO3 with no pants :smith:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Bellamy, I believe in you. :unsmith:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Talk about loving clutch victory. Hexer for god tier. Also, god drat it, if worst comes to worst, REVENGE Hexer the thing to death.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
I let a friend borrow my copy of Untold since I hadn't actually started yet, and shortly after she started playing, she broke her arm. I'm choosing to blame the game for this. I bought the game because of you, Dr. Fetus. Her blood is on your hands. Atleast you can truthfully say the game has an arm breaking difficulty now. :v:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I literally cheered in my seat at work and threw my hands up when that Torpor went off. And then your inspired writing afterwards! This is such a wonderful LP Good Doctor. Mostly thanks to the writing. Thank you from the bottom of my over-excited heart! :banjo: :boom: :neckbeard: :toot:

Also co-signed on finish this fucker up with Climax and Revenge hexes galore if you're burning out. Consider it an early post-game Taking-Power-Into-My-Hands imperative.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Strategic Notes: Colossus

Okay, before you can fight Colossus, you have to go through floor 23 first.

There's a ton of FOEs to go through on this floor, and some of them aren't even shown on the map. Deathman are all over the place, and there's some new FOEs running around. Thankfully unlike EO1's FOE Thunderdome, you don't have to kill all the FOEs here. In fact, that's actually impossible without tons of grinding. Mainly thanks to this guy.

Beamedge
Behavior: Sentry
HP: 3870
AT: 84
DF: 84

Yes, this Stratum actually has two Red FOEs, although Beamedges don't show up past floor 23. They're resistant to everything but Volt. While Dampen takes care of that, your party will not have the firepower to take them down. They have the stats of a postgame enemy, and should be saved for then. The best thing to do on this floor is to sneak past every one of the FOEs, since they're all dangerous to fight. Because Beamedges are Red FOEs, Sleep and Lure Bells will not work on them, so you have to plan your route carefully.

Now even if you do manage to sneak past every FOE, there is one that you'll have to fight. There's no avoiding it.

Guardian
Type: Normal
Behavior: Ambush
HP: 465
AT: 55
DF: 43
Skills: Head EM, Arms EM, Legs Em
Item Drops:
-Common: Metal Chip - See Deathman bio.
Description: Mechanical guardians who constantly patrol the Colossus's shrine to ward off intruders.
Weakness: Volt (125%)
Resistance: Fire (50%), Ice (50%), Physical (50%)

Guardians are very weak FOEs that just serve to waste time and resources. All of their EM moves are AOE skills that try to inflict their respective bind type on the party. Now there's gonna be four more of these things in the room, and when you get into a fight with one, they'll try to join in. They'll also respawn constantly, so try to finish these things off as fast as possible. Once you're done with them, you'll finally reach the Colossus.

Colossus
HP: 4500
STR: 77
TEC: 70
VIT: 80
AGI: 70
LUC: 56
Exp: 200000
Item Drops:
-Common: Guard Horn - 70% drop. Unlocks Balmung (Sword), and Nectall II. Limited Stock
--Gnarled, twisted skull of a guardian beast.
-Rare: Guard Skin - 30% drop. Unlocks Holy Armor. Limited Stock
--Sturdy hide that befits a guardian beast.
-Conditional: Red Spine - 95% drop. Don't kill with Cut, Stab, or Bash. Unlocks Ruby Mail. Limited stock.
--Guardian beast tailbone of legendary ruby.
Description: An ancient Labyrinth guardian that now rests in the floating castle. It has no weaknesses.
Weakness: Elemental
Resistance: Physical

Skills:

Destroy: Uses the legs. Deals a moderate amount of Bash damage to the party. Targets that get hit have their defense lowered.
Horns: Uses the head. Deals a severe amount of Stab damage to a single target.
Brandish: Uses the head. Deals a heavy amount of Bash damage to a single target. Deals splash damage. Has a high chance of inflicting arm bind.
Barrier: Cannot be disabled. Deals severe damage to party members that attack him with Fire, Ice, or Volt attacks.
Breath: Uses the head. Decreases the party's attack and has a high chance of inflicting Poison, Blind, and Paralysis. The Poison component ticks for 120 damage.
Mad Rush: Cannot be disabled. Deals a severe amount of Bash damage to everyone. Has a high chance of inflicting head and leg binds.

Colossus is a very infamous boss. He's generally considered to be the toughest boss in the game, even tougher than the final boss. It's to the point where he's considered a brick wall, and a run ender. People have tried to grind their parties all the way to 70 just to get past it, and that still wasn't enough. Keep in mind that not everyone runs the same party or uses the optimal classes. I should probably note that Colossus has a different respawn timer than the rest of the Stratum bosses. Colossus will not respawn until you kill the Overlord, so if you miss out on the drops, you'll only get a second chance after you complete the game. Of course the many people who got past this boss don't care about trying to get the drops again, and are generally happy to try for them later, or to never do that fight again.

Colossus has a ton of devastating moves. For the most part, he doesn't have a set AI. His regular attacks are likely to one shot your squishy classes. Destroy is a physical AOE that isn't likely to kill your party, but since it inflicts a defense debuff, it'll definitely kill your party if he decides to use it again. Horns deals a ton of damage to the point where it'll one shot any class. Likewise with Brandish, although the tougher classes should be able to survive the splash damage. The arm bind component can be annoying for physical attackers, so keep a few Therica As around. Barrier is when things get tricky. Colossus has a really high resistance to physical attacks, so you think spamming elemental attacks would be the answer. It's not, Colossus can throw up a Barrier at some points and if anyone uses an elemental attack on those turns, they're dead. Because of that, Alchemists are generally considered to be a liability for the fight. It doesn't counter untyped attacks, so that's something to consider. Breath is an AOE debuff that lowers your party's attack but has a high chance of inflicting various status effects. Its probably the least dangerous move he has, but it's still annoying to deal with.

Mad Rush is special. At this point in the game, it will one hit kill your party, no questions asked. But he will only use it if your party has too many buffs. More specifically, five of them. This means that a single Troubadour song will cause Colossus to go apeshit and cause a party wipe. And the chance of him using this attack increases the more buffs you have, so mists are terrible items to use in this fight. The worst part about this skill is that it doesn't erase your buffs. The reason is because for one thing, buffs being dispelled is usually lets the player know they did something wrong and had too many of them. The other reason is because your buffs not being dispelled means that Colossus can keep spamming Mad Rush. Using a Troubadour's Force Skill is a death sentence for your party.

Now everything I've said makes the Colossus sounds like a big tough boss. He's not. Colossus is a big fat joke. He's probably one of the easier bosses in the game. He's not a complete pushover, but he's far more manageable than Scylla. The main reason people considered to him to be a difficult boss is because they didn't know how to fight him properly. The best way to deal with Colossus is to use elemental attacks. Yes, you read that right. For the record, I said spamming elemental attacks is not how you're supposed to deal with it. This is because of how Colossus' AI works. The game will check every turn to see if anyone used a Fire, Ice, or Volt attack in the last turn. If they did, Colossus has a 45% chance of using Barrier on the current turn. If you alternate between elemental and physical attacks, Colossus will waste about a ¼ of his turns on average waiting to counter an attack that will never come. This gives you a lot more breathing room to deal with him. And it makes getting the conditional drop a breeze since you can just hold off on elemental attacks for one turn if he's about to die, and then deal the killing blow on the next turn. That's not even counting the other various methods you can use to break the fight, like Force skills and using a Hexer. If you play smart, Colossus is not a scary boss.

Overkill

: A Hexer completely and utterly vaporizes any bit of difficulty in this fight. Revenge can nuke Colossus down in two turns, but on top of that Dampen turns Colossus' impressive defenses into a huge weakness. Colossus isn't that resistant to status effects either, so if you have Evil Eye and Suicide, you can stun lock the thing. Aliara only has Dampen, but that lets all of our physical attackers go to town on the thing. As a final insult to injury, Scavenge makes picking up all the drops a non-issue.

Top Picks

: Despite what some people think, Alchemists are not a liability for this fight. In fact, they are the best offensive class to bring to the fight. Bellamy can alternate between his elemental attacks and Megido and never let up on his offenses. His attacks deal around 500 damage without the damage boost from Dampen, but if Frederik is on the team, he goes straight up into overkill territory since his attacks will deal 900-1100 in that case.

: The reason I consider Survivalists a top pick is not because of their damage skills, but because of 1st turn. Barrier doesn't automatically go first, it just has a really high speed modifier which some classes can bypass. See where this is going? If Pauline is paired up with an elemental attacker, preferably someone who can deal a lot of elemental damage since they're gonna be the only ones who can use those attacks safely, Colossus will waste about a ½ of his turns on average using Barrier. If you get lucky, you can stun lock it for the whole fight.

Offense

: Ronin are kind of limited in usefulness since they're primarily physical attackers, but their elemental attacks can deal a decent amount of damage. Ken is an alright choice since he can alternate between Orochi and Midareba. While he can deal lots of damage with Midareba is Aliara is on the team, he's a front liner. Meaning that most of Colossus' attacks are going to be directed towards him. So he might not get a chance to actually fight.

: Gunners are pretty decent since they can avoid Colosssus' wrath on the back lines. Fedot can alternate between his elemental shots and Ricochet, which deals even more damage if a Dampen Hexer is on the team. As a bonus, he can cure any ailments inflicted by Breath with Medishot.

: A Dark Hunter's Dominate can completely shut down Colossus, and it's pretty easy to get a hold of the Dominator whip at this point. I won't be using either, so all Nick has is Gag and his Bait skills. Most of Colossus' skills use the head, so if Nick can land the bind, that takes a lot of bite out of the fight. The Bait skills are pretty questionable in usefulness. If Nick dies, they won't proc. For best results, he should be paired up with Aegis who can ensure that he and anyone else on the front lines can actually survive Colossus' attacks.

: Landsknechts are kind of mediocre for this fight. Their only form of elemental attacks are their chaser skills, so a team needs to be built around them to get the most out of those. Still, Emilia can dish out a decent amount of damage with her chasers, but only if there's other elemental attackers on the team. She has Tornado to fall back on when she has to alternate attacks, but its damage is mediocre.

: No matter how you skill your Beast, I don't consider them to be a good choice for this fight. A Protector does a far better job of defending your team in this case. Ling does have Rampage which is great physical damage, but Loyalty means that he'll probably die very fast. On the plus side, he could end up protecting a much more important party member.

Support

: A War Magus is a fantastic support to bring to the fight. They're very fast healers and their buffs are single target, so they won't proc Mad Rush. Frederik can heal up any injuries inflicted by the Colossus and Warmight is a great damage boost for any offensive class.

: A Protector is a very good defensive support to bring to the fight. Front Guard lowers the damage from Colossus' attacks that are normally one hit kills to much more manageable levels. Provoke is also great at preventing his single target attacks from killing your squishier characters. Aegis is also the only party member that can tank Colossus' attacks head on and live. Unfortunately, he can't protect the back row.

: I don't really like Medics, they're way too slow to be useful. Maverick can dispel status effects and binds, but considering that the only way to ensure that he can heal the party is to spam his heals every turn, he's not going to get a chance to dispel ailments and binds. Besides, those are just minor annoyances compared what else the Colossus can do to you.

: A Troubadour is by far the worst class to bring to this fight. A single song will cause Colossus to go crazy with Mad Rush. All Gilbert can really do is imbue his fellow party members' regular attacks with elements, which I guess is decent for Emilia's chaser skills. He can also dispel Colossus' debuffs with his songs, but that's all he can really do.

Vote for up to any three party members. Votes must be bolded.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 17, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

For the record, I knew about the proper way to fight Colossus before I started this LP. I was just building him up just to tear him down in this writeup since I know this boss is a sore spot for a lot of people who've played EO2. :laugh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pauline, Bellamy, Nick

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ling, Maverick, Gilbert.

You say this boss is a joke, clearly you can win easily!

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Aegis, Bellamy, Nick

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

For the record, I knew about the proper way to fight Colossus before I started this LP. I was just building him up just to tear him down in this writeup since I know this boss is a sore spot for a lot of people who've played EO2. :laugh:

This write-up explains so much for me. For the record, I had serious problems with every boss except the first up to this point. Then I fought Colossus for the first time, thinking I had to power through another brickwall... and then he went down on my first try. Sure, I had something like level 67 on average and a Hexer and I used up most of my items and three out of five didn't survive, but it was still a lot easier then the multiple TPKs I've earned on earlier bosses.

Looking at that write-up, my favourite tactic had been weakening the enemy instead of buffing myself, while I had my Alchemist alternating between Megido and Fire (due to the high TP-costs of Megido I couldn't just spam it). My Hexer used dampen and debuffs, the Landsknecht attacked, my Medic and War Mage were constantly healing. And that's it. Turns out my really inflexible way of playing was the perfect counter to Colossus. :v:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Aliara, Bellamy, Pauline

I really enjoy watching this game get routed.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Aliara, Bellamy, Aegis

I'll be kind.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Aliara and Bellamy. Still riding high on that high-five!

So tempted to go maximum overkill with Pauline, but in the interest of giving Colossus a little wiggle room to make things interesting, Fedot.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

SomeMathGuy posted:

Aliara, Bellamy, Pauline

No mercy! :black101:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

SomeMathGuy posted:

Aliara, Bellamy, Pauline

I third this selection. TEAM OVERKILL IS GO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Nick, Frederik, Fedot

• Locked thread