Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I gotta admit, knowing the meaning behind "relic" I still got thrown for a loop by the game's just-took-a-picture description until you returned to the bar.

"Ah, aha! A flash and... vellum? With strange markings? Did... did the camera print out some writing?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Overlord

:black101:Video: Overlord:black101:

: I'll give that Overlord a lesson in proper interior decorating!

: Overlord! I have something I want to say to you about the appearance of your floating castle!

: What? Wait a minute, you're one of the people that insulted my taste in interior design!

: Yes! And I've come to fix that! I've made this painting to show you on how you can make this place look better and much less eye-searing.

: Hmm. An interesting look. But I cannot do such a thing, as that would waste around 6 to 7 years of my valuable time.

: What? Unacceptable! You've been in this floating castle for who knows how long!

: My research is far more important for me to waste my time redecorating this place. Leave!

: NEVER!

PC-88 Version

Overlord
HP: 5000
STR: 70
TEC: 70
VIT: 70
AGI: 70
LUC: 56
Exp: 0
Item Drops: N/A
Description: Known as the Heavenly Majesty and the Overlord both, he has cast off his human form.
Weakness: N/A
Resistance: N/A

Skills:

VOID1: Cannot be disabled. Deals heavy untyped damage to the whole party.
VOID2: Cannot be disabled. Deals severe untyped damage to the whole party.
LRDA: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict Curse, Confusion, and Terror on the party.
AACV: Uses the Arms. Counters elemental attacks for a severe amount of damage.
MACV: Uses the Arms. Counters physical attacks for a severe amount of damage.
REPAIR: Uses the head. Recovers 431 HP.

Overlord follows an attack pattern during this fight. When his HP is above 50%, he follows this pattern.

Turn 1: LRDA
Turn 2: MACV
Turn 3: REPAIR
Turn 4: AACV
Turn 5: VOID1

And then it loops. When his HP is below 50%, he'll switch to this pattern.

Turn 1: LRDA
Turn 2: VOID2
Turn 3: MACV
Turn 4: REPAIR
Turn 5: AACV

Overall, it's a very simple fight. Something to keep in mind is that untyped damage skills like Megido can't trigger either of his counters.

First things first, I need to power up Bellamy so he can actually kill Overlord in time.

: Oh come now, your research can't be that important. I mean, think about how much nicer this place can look.

: My research concerns all of mankind! Did you not listen to everything I've said as you climbed this castle?

Now if I don't use this item, Bellamy will get Cursed later in the battle, and end up killing himself.

And Bellamy will spam Megido for the rest of the fight.

: To be honest, not really. Most of what you said sounded like pure and utter nonsense to me.

: How dare you insult the fruits of my labor!

: I'll make you an offer. In return for being one of my test subjects, I'll grant you immortality. And I won't kill you right here and now.

: I'm not interested.

: You won't have a choice after I'm done with you.

Bellamy won't be able to survive a VOID2, so I need to finish the fight before that happens.

: My offer still stands.

If I didn't use the Antivenin, Bellamy would have gotten cursed right here.

: I decline.

PC-88 Version

: No, I won't let you take the Holy Grail! I need it for my research!

: What? Oh, right. That. I'm not really here for that. More to teach you a lesson on proper design.

: Are you still going on- wait... If I promise to redecorate the Heavenly Keep, will you leave?

: Hmm, a very tempting offer... Yes! Anything to make this place easier on the eyes.

: Very well. Then I shall get to work.

: Excellent! I shall be off!

You heed the Overlord's request and abandon the Holy Grail in favor of returning to town.

: That was easier than I expected.

PC-88 Version

Welp, that's the end of the game. Thanks for reading!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 22, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'm so sorry. Blame these guys for this abomination.

alcharagia posted:

We'll see if she's laughing when Bellamy solos the final boss. :colbert:

Pureauthor posted:

SPOILER about the EO2 final boss

Do you think you could play it twice and fight the first form with one (suboptimal?) party and fight the second form with the Original Five?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So that's how EO2 leads into EO2U. :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
And the day is saved: Now no one else will ever have to stare at piss-yellow walls all day!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

my grotty piss-stained Heavenly Keep

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So that's how EO2 leads into EO2U. :v:

Somehow I always knew it would be a superpowered Bellamy creating an alternate timeline. It was really the only explanation.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Huh. So that's the Overlord. Big deal. Ah well, here's hoping the Post Game areas aren't as eye searing as this!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Fantastic. :golfclap:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I meant to post this back during the 4th stratum, but here's a really nice strings and piano version of the music. That whole album has excellent arrangements of EO1 and 2 songs, including the most relaxing medley ever of the regular battle music from 1 and 2.

The playlist doesn't have any spoilers for the rest of EO2. It does have EO1 stratum names in case you're playing it and that's something you don't want to see (I doubt that applies to anyone in this thread, but just in case...).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

I meant to post this back during the 4th stratum, but here's a really nice strings and piano version of the music. That whole album has excellent arrangements of EO1 and 2 songs, including the most relaxing medley ever of the regular battle music from 1 and 2.

The playlist doesn't have any spoilers for the rest of EO2. It does have EO1 stratum names in case you're playing it and that's something you don't want to see (I doubt that applies to anyone in this thread, but just in case...).

Well the name of the 5th Stratum in the first game is kind of a massive spoiler, but I don't see it on that playlist, so nothing really spoilery there.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well the name of the 5th Stratum in the first game is kind of a massive spoiler, but I don't see it on that playlist, so nothing really spoilery there.

Yah the 5th Strata themes are in a medley and are just called "Labyrinth V Medley."

EDIT: poo poo, the spoiler is in the description of the video for that song though. So, don't look at Labyrinth V Medley if you don't know what the last Stratum of EO1 is and don't want it spoiled (it is indeed a big spoiler).

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 31, 2015

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
The Bellamy Alternate Universe Fight is as entertaining as the best "What-Ifs" from DBZ fighting games.

What if Bellamy's strict passion for Interior Design clashes with the Overlord's incredulity about being confronted not for violating the natural world but for violating our eyes? Stay tuned!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Bellamy is the most powerful. :smug:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, I finished recording the final update. Now I just have to get it up. I'll post it soonish.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Awesome. Can't wait to see how the final boss is actually supposed to go. And whatever's lurking out there for the postgame.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Heavens' Governor

:black101:Final Boss: Overlord:black101:

Well, the thread decided to finish the main game with the party we started out with. So here we go.

One last look at their stats and equipment.

: Okay, this is it. Is everybody ready?

: I'm ready. I think.

: Hmm, now what would be the best way to- oh. Yeah, I'm ready.

: Hurry before my heart gives out for good.

: Bring it!

: Okay, here goes. I just wanna say, it's been nice working with every one of you.

: Same here, boss.

After swinging the heavy door open, you enter an open, well-lit chamber. The hall is filled with objects wondrous to your eyes, as well as a strange, echoing noise. As you struggle to take it all in, the mysterious voice booms from above you.

: Leave! I'm in the middle of renovating here!

: What? We're here for the Holy Grail.

: Oh. Very well then. Welcome to the inner sanctum of my Heavenly Keep... The King's Hall. We created it in the image of an ancient ark, that we might escape into the skies. I fear you will not understand my tale, but listen... Long ago, this world faced destruction. The signs were obvious, and so we made plans to flee the perishing earth for the skies. But mankind could not adapt to the drastically altered environment below.

: Oh, that's what those voices were talking about earlier.

: So you're from that time too. Just as I thought.

: I continued my never-ending research on life to save them. But some were not satisfied... They wished to die on their home soil... to return to the false lands on the dead earth. I performed experiment after experiment to save those who remained faithful to me... But the secrets of life are obscure and arcane. Little time remained to find a breakthrough. Thus did I discard my human form, transferring my mind to a body that would last forever. In this way, I continued my research to protect my flock from all manner of calamities. That research continues today. The Grail of Kings... source of that much-sought immortality... It is not yet fully functional. Genetic warping occurs, and men become something entirely other. If she had remained with me... Her specialty was genetic research... perhaps... No. The past is dead, and it is folly to speculate. I alone will discover man's salvation! I will not let you take the Grail of Kings from here! It is vital to mankind's future!

: Here he comes!

PC-88 Version

: Wait, that's the Overlord?

: Lame. I expected him to look more freaky.

: Looks like a giant upside down egg. I guess that explains his taste in décor.

: You. You get to die first.

Opening up with my standard tactic. Buff Ken, do damage, debuff Overlord.

And crap. I was banking on head binding him since he's not too resistant to binds.

: Crush him!

: Oh, I will! HA! :black101:

Look at those big numbers! That's a total of 950 points of damage right there!

And this is why I wanted the head bind to stick. This is going to suck.

: Um, okay?

: I WILL FEAST ON YOUR ENTRAILS AND DEVOUR YOUR SOUL!

: G-G-Gah. I c-can't keep m-my aim steady.

: Missed me!

: My n-n-nerves are acting up t-t-too much.

: Your days are numbered, Overlord.

: Stupid dumb curse.

: What the hell, Frederik!?

: You shall be the first sacrifice for the deep-

: Snap out of it, gramps!

: Nope.

: Okay, enough of this nonsense!

: My apologies for earlier. Now show that Overlord what for!

More crazy damage output from Ken.

That is so not going to help him.

: Fedot! Here!

: Thanks. Okay, ready... aim...

: FIRE!

Not as much damage as Ken dealt, but dishing out a total of 856 points of damage is still a good amount.

: Why does this never work against the big guys?

: Now you know how I feel.

: We'll be taking that Grail now.

PC-88 Version

PC-88 Version

: Wow, that was easy.

: You think he would have put up a harder fight for the thing.

As you bask in your hard-won victory, the voice speaks again.

: It seems your power is far greater than I anticipated. But you do not understand... My research is still far from complete. Though I have created something of a prototype. True eternal life will not be possible until the Holy Grail is finished. And so I cannot allow myself to be defeated now. But I have a proposition... I will grant you immortality and inhuman strength... In return for which, you must leave the Holy Grail with me and depart from this castle. Think well... do not all humans desire life eternal and strength unsurpassed?

The Overlord's offer has been made, and he awaits your answer. The decision is entirely in your hands...

Saying yes here will result in an automatic game over, and you'll have to go through the first phase all over again.

: Like hell we will! I'm not getting turned into a monster!

: I've already lived a fulfilling life. Nothing lasts forever.

: Then, would you leave if I redecorate this castle?

: ...Okay, I might agree to that.

: Oh for the love of- NO!

: But this place could look a lot better and less yellow.

: We're here for the Grail, not for anything else. Besides, we have no reason to come back here once we're done.

You cannot leave when the Grail of Kings is so near at hand, and so you refuse the Overlord. At hearing your response, the Overlord sighs deeply before speaking again.

: drat it. I should have known that wouldn't work twice. So... You choose destruction. It is inevitable, I suppose. Come to me where I wait, and you shall discover my true power.

: Oh he was just holding back? Great, this couldn't have been easy.

: Look on the bright side, we get to kick his rear end again a second time!

If you try to leave through the door, you get this message instead.

And you can't use a Warp Wire to leave this place. You're stuck with the party you brought here. However, you can take the opportunity to heal up. Once you're done, just walk up to the throne to trigger the final battle.

: None shall deter me from my sacred goal! I shall surpass the limits of humanity!

PC-88 Version

PC-88 Version

: Okay, that actually looks better.

Overlord
HP: 8000
STR: 75
TEC: 75
VIT: 70
AGI: 70
LUC: 56
Exp: 0
Item Drops: Lord Wrath - Unlocks Czar Cloth.
-Chunk of the Overlord's scale-like armor.
Description: The Overlord's true form, appearing with overwhelming power before the explorers.
Weakness: N/A
Resistance: N/A

Skills:

Sunlight: Uses the head. Deals light Fire damage to the whole party. Has a chance to inflict head bind.
Ice Rain: Uses the head. Deals light Ice damage to the whole party. Has a chance to inflict arm bind.
Voltself: Uses the head. Deals light Volt damage to the whole party. Has a chance to inflict leg bind.
Distress: Cannot be disabled. Deals a heavy amount of untyped damage to a single target. Deals splash damage. Affected targets have their attack lowered.
Travel: Cannot be disabled. Deals a heavy amount of untyped damage to 3 to 5 targets.
Solitude: Uses the legs. Attempts to Curse the entire party.
Seek: Cannot be disabled. Recovers 862 HP and dispels all debuffs.
Dance: Cannot be disabled. Deals a moderate amount of untyped damage to the party and dispels all buffs.

So here's the real final boss of the game. His elemental attacks deal a pathetic amount of damage, but they have a decent chance to bind a body part, which can kind of screw you over depending on the circumstances. The moves you really have to worry about are Distress and Travel since they deal a ton of damage to your party. Solitude can be nasty to be on the receiving end of, but as long as you don't have every single party member attacking, you should be fine. Seek is a special countermove. He'll only use it when he has two debuffs. Dance is also a special countermove, which he has a chance of using if your party has a total of 11 or more buffs.

So how do you deal with this guy? Simple. Kill him before he kills you. That's it. That's all there is to this fight. Overlord is by far the easiest and most unmemorable final boss in the series. Not counting the special countermoves, you might not even see his entire skillset depending on your party setup. Even if you knew how to deal with Colossus, you had to put some thought into how you fought him. Not the case here, he's far easier than the Colossus.

Now, Overlord has a tendency to use Solitude on the first turn, so I'm gonna have everyone hold off on attacking.

Except for Nick, who's fast enough to move before Overlord.

Frederik will pump up Ken in the meantime.

And in case Overlord does use Solitude, Fedot will be able to dispel that immediately.

And Aliara boosts our party's damage even more with Dampen.

Nick didn't land the bind here, but it would have been nice if he did.

And my prediction was correct!

This should make his elementals deal even less damage.

: Everyone good to go?

: Yeah, thanks boss.

: Your days are numbered, Overlord! For real this time!

Now since that's over with, I have everyone go on the offensive. Aliara's job is done, she's just going to be supporting for the rest of the fight.

: :black101:

Ken still dishes out a crazy amount of damage.

: AAAAAAGGHH!

Yeah, without Revenge, Hexers can't really do much.

: Okay Overlord, ready to get a taste of-

: Whyyyy... :gibs:

: Frederik, could you hurry up and heal us?

: Hold on for a moment.

Not as much damag as Ken was dishing out, but it's still a decent amount.

: Hey Ken! Wake up!

: Gah! Now's not the time for me to take a break!

I need Ken to be killing Overlord again, so I have Frederik buff him.

: Like I was saying, have a taste of this!

Oh no. My Dark Hunter got his head bound. Whatever will I do?

: MMPH! MMPH! MMPH!

Fortunately, I placed Aliara on temporary healing duty.

So you know what I'm gonna do about Nick's head being bound?

Bind Overlord's head right back!

: Hmm hmm mmhmm hmm hmm hmm! :smug:

: Do you really have to be like that at a time like this? :barf:

: Mmmmm mmm mmm! :pervert:

: How macabre.

: :cawg:

: Come on, I know I have more ammo somewhere!

And Fedot just went absolutely bonkers with Ricochet, getting a 5 hit proc off of that skill.

I have Aliara extend the duration of Dampen in case the fight goes on any longer.

Unfortunately for Overlord...

It's the end of the line for him.

: If you see Visil, send him my regards.

: At last, it's over.

: Whoa! We did it!

: Hahaha! What a pansy! Barely put up a fight!

: I guess that was easy after all.

PC-88 Version

And with that, we've beaten Etrian Odyssey II. And if you didn't like how one-sided those fights were, here's a video of me taking on both forms of the Overlord with a weaker party setup.

Video: Ending and Credits

PC-88 Version

PC-88 Version

During the credits of every EO game, you'll see some NPCs say a few lines.

That was the last bit of NPC dialogue. I guess I'll take this opportunity to say some stuff.

Etrian Odyssey II is actually my least favorite EO game. Even before this LP, I preferred EO1 over it and I still consider it the superior game.

Doing this Let's Play pretty much lowered my opinion of EO2 even more, although I'm not sure if you could tell. I was trying not to let that seep into the actual LP.

While there were a lot of improvements such as better map design and stuff like sidestepping, there's also a ton of stuff I didn't really like about this game. Really dumb stuff like FOEs not giving out exp, and guaranteed blindsides. Oh, and the really stupid way that gathering was nerfed. The really really terrible class balance didn't help either. I'd say it's probably the worst in the series in that regard. Right next to EO3, as much as I like that game.

On the other hand, the music was fairly decent, though it's not my favorite in the series.

So why did I make this Let's Play despite all that? Well mainly because there hadn't actually been an attempt at making an LP of EO2, despite some attempts at EO1 and EO3.

Also mainly to try my hand at LPing, because if I mess up and get booed off of doing a game I didn't really like in the first place, no big loss, right? That didn't happen, but doing this was a good experience.

The EO2 remake was still coming out at the time when I decided to start this LP. So I wanted to show off the game as a kind of a look back at the game that was being remade and how far the EO series had come since then.

Here's hoping the remake will be a massive improvement over the original.

Oh and one more thing I had a problem with, the horrendous QA! Like seriously, I ran into so many bugs during my playthrough of the game, and several I didn't even know about before this Let's Play!

This is no Sonic 06 or anything. I mean the game is still very playable, but the amount of bugs I ran into made me wonder what was going on with the debugging department. This is also the only EO game that's unoptimized and lags horribly while you're exploring the Labyrinth. None of the other games really lag all that much, if at all.

The other EO games do have their fair share of bugs, but they're nowhere near as plentiful as this game.

At any rate, I really enjoyed doing all this. You've been a good audience, and it was fun to challenge myself throughout the game.

Thanks for reading this Let's Play.

PC-88 Version

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 12, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Now the real game begins. :unsmigghh:

But seriously, this has been a great LP, the perfect way to LP an EO game. Why isn't this thread gold yet?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
:golfclap:

A marvelous effort from start to finish. You've outdone yourself, Dr. Fetus. This has been a pleasure to follow, and I eagerly look forward to whatever you turn to next! :atlus:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Excellent LP and here's to hoping and seeing the post game. No doubt there will be a 1HP hexer being carted around as Nick's weird and tasteless fetishes scar into the minds of his comrades for months to come. Oh, by the by, the music links for the Overlord's battle didn't seem to work for me, not sure if it's JUST me or if it's more than that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd like to point out to everyone that the Overlord's second form, which took us this long to get to in the game, is shown in the opening movie of EO2U.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, gonna echo the sentiments that this was a fantastic LP to read; I am very glad I just randomly started to read it because I was bored at 4am one night. Can't wait to see the postgame, since I've never bothered with it in any EO after smashing my head against the first one for too long and not really getting very far.

Crosspeice posted:

Why isn't this thread gold yet?

Well, it is now. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Now the real game begins. :unsmigghh:

But seriously, this has been a great LP, the perfect way to LP an EO game. Why isn't this thread gold yet?

:stare: Apparently it is now. Huh, I didn't think I did THAT great a job with this LP. Glad you all thought otherwise! I certainly wasn't expecting this LP to be received that well when I first started out.

Oh and for those of you that thought that fight was too one-sided, here's a video of me taking on both forms of the Overlord with an unoptimal party. Spoiler alert: said fights are still incredibly easy. It just takes longer. I'll probably stick that somewhere in the last update.

Though now that I've completed the main game, I suppose this LP can be considered to be in a finished state. Though I still need to finish up the Beast class discussion and I hate that class so much aaaaa. :suicide: So yeah, there's still more to be covered, and if I burn out, it's over. Period. And then I'll send in the archival request.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd like to point out to everyone that the Overlord's second form, which took us this long to get to in the game, is shown in the opening movie of EO2U.

For the record, this doesn't mean that the EO2U opening video is safe to watch if you want to remain spoiler free about EO2. Yes, it actually spoils postgame stuff. Not even the EOU opening video was that bad about spoilers.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 1, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Overlord gets a giant awesome metal-angel-dragon form and it's the biggest pansy of a Final Boss in the series.

A shame.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
In my first playthrough I Warmight/Dead Law/Bravery'd my ronin and Midareba'd a Frailty'd Overlord for like 3500 a turn. He died on like turn 3.

Also the 6th Stratum is the best part of this game and it'd be dreadful for it to be not shown off. But that's my opinion v:shobon:v

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
No more voting on parties Fetus, for your sake. Throw every little trick at the game you can, rape it unrelentingly so you may show us what the post-game has in store for all of us.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hivac posted:

In my first playthrough I Warmight/Dead Law/Bravery'd my ronin and Midareba'd a Frailty'd Overlord for like 3500 a turn. He died on like turn 3.

Also the 6th Stratum is the best part of this game and it'd be dreadful for it to be not shown off. But that's my opinion v:shobon:v

Now what kind of an EO player would I be if I never touched the part where the game actually begins? Besides, I have one last trick up my sleeve, and it would be a shame if I never got to show it off. I'll post the write up for that. Eventually. Because if you thought the main game was bad, HAHAHAHA! You haven't seen just how :atlus: this game can be.

In fact, :siren:do NOT spoil anything about the postgame.:siren: The dick moves pulled off there must be seen to be believed.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Congrats on finishing part 1 of the game, the not-post game stuff! We wait in anticipation to see the ATLUS Dick Moves™ and your ways of slightly mitigating them.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Level Seven posted:

Congrats on finishing part 1 of the game, the not-post game stuff! We wait in anticipation to see the ATLUS Dick Moves™ and your ways of slightly mitigating them.

Answer: 1HP Revenge Hexer with maximum possible speed!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Great LP Dr. Fetus! It was nice seeing someone explain the game in so much depth, since I tried playing this series and dropped it because cartography isn't my thing. I hope the running gag of Nick dying so much returns in the post game. :allears:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Dr. Fetus posted:

You haven't seen just how :atlus: this game can be.

Well now I'm hyped. Hopefully you'll at least get some opportunities to break things over your knee in retribution. Loved the main stratums, and even if that was the end of it, this'd still be a solid LP. Great job!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really don't know too much about the postgame of this game aside from what it looks like and three or four enemies there, so I'm looking forward to the shenanigans that will ensue.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dr. Fetus posted:

In fact, :siren:do NOT spoil anything about the postgame.:siren: The dick moves pulled off there must be seen to be believed.

I don't know anything about the postgame in 2, but I recall that a teleporter maze floor in 1 could not be mapped with the in-game maps because the symbol limit was less than the number of teleporters on the floor. As far as dick moves go, I'd qualify that as cheating and I hope that anything they throw at you here is "fair".

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

:stare: Apparently it is now. Huh, I didn't think I did THAT great a job with this LP. Glad you all thought otherwise! I certainly wasn't expecting this LP to be received that well when I first started out.

Chiming in (for like the 4th time too?) to say it was an EXCELLENT ride. Thank you good Doctor! Especially given your further hatred of the game really didn't come through, except for bugs, but understandable gripes.

Started replaying EO3 knowing this was coming to an end and still wanting an Etrian Odyssey fix every day. Very quickly got over wanting all experience bars even, which that game breaks pretty quick anyway with certain side bosses giving full heals, but I don't think I made it ten fights :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Omobono posted:

I don't know anything about the postgame in 2, but I recall that a teleporter maze floor in 1 could not be mapped with the in-game maps because the symbol limit was less than the number of teleporters on the floor. As far as dick moves go, I'd qualify that as cheating and I hope that anything they throw at you here is "fair".

In my opinion, EO2's postgame is actually tamer than EO1's, although it's still pretty vicious. Mainly because EO2 doesn't have something like EO1's 27th floor, which I personally call Pitfall Hell. By the way, this floor is also impossible to fully map. If you tried to map all the pits, you would run into the icon cap (which is 50) before you would be halfway done with mapping all of them. Oh, and all those pits are invisible. Every single one.

Anyways, gonna try to have the postgame writeup later today. Although something that crossed my mind is that I could let you all vote on the parties I go through the 6th Stratum and fight all the bosses with for some extra schadenfreude and because sticking with one party for the rest of the game might be boring. I could hold back and not use the broken stuff like Revenge, Riot Gun, and Dominate to spice things up too. If there's enough demand for those anyway.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 1, 2015

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Definitely vote that you only hold back if it makes it more fun/interesting for YOU. Otherwise allow the revenge skill to truly live up to its name :getin:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
At least they did a great overhaul with that pitfall hell map in EO:U. This is also my least favorite EO game, it just feels so half-baked in a lot of regards. I also find the seasonal theme a bit boring, and the 5th stratum was just eye-searing hell.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, did we scoop up that Grail at any point?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

No one's gonna blames us if the princess' dad turns into a monster after drinking from the grail, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
It's been literally years (about 6 or 7 now, actually) since I beat EO1, wandered around in the postgame for a bit, promptly got a game over to one of the first things I encountered, and stopped playing never to pick it up again...

Dr. Fetus posted:

In my opinion, EO2's postgame is actually tamer than EO1's, although it's still pretty vicious. Mainly because EO2 doesn't have something like EO1's 27th floor, which I personally call Pitfall Hell. By the way, this floor is also impossible to fully map. If you tried to map all the pits, you would run into the icon cap (which is 50) before you would be halfway done with mapping all of them. Oh, and all those pits are invisible. Every single one.

...and now I'm really glad I never went back. :stare: gently caress that noise.

• Locked thread