Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Another neat twist to this fight? Painless has the same effect regardless of level. You can bring a level one Protector and still pull that off. Might be kinda tricky to survive a Riptor long enough to pull that off though.

This was a fantastic LP, and I'm thrilled someone finally managed to actual finish one of these games. But man, this game was way buggier than I thought. Even though this was my first EO game and I've got a soft spot for it, I really can't excuse any of this. The remake was badly, badly needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Glorious! :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Now do it at night for extra street cred!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, I'd say that counts as "Dunk'd harder than the Wyrm." A very satisfying update.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Now all we're missing is one last update. And afterward, Fetus can finally leave this buggy-rear end, hilariously broken game behind.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Transient People posted:

Now all we're missing is one last update. And afterward, Fetus can finally leave this buggy-rear end, hilariously broken game behind.

He's going on to EO3, which is a less buggy-rear end but still hilariously broken game. Fetus can't escape.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm looking forward to the EO3 LP since I barely know anything about it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well I was hoping to get a nighttime kill without using Force Skills, but it's honesty just not really feasible unless you're party is level 99. No matter which party combination I try, I can't survive long enough to take him down. I'm not really frustrated, just bored because at that point the fight just amounts to surviving a dice roll. Those kinds of fights aren't really interesting at all because there's absolutely no strategy involved. And he has several kill moves, some of which can be survived in certain conditions. But the only way you can do that is if you actively plan for it. Also, the thing used Begone 3 turns in a row in one of my attempts, and that was with extremely lucky CPR procs. Funnily enough, that wasn't what killed me. No, the next turn he used Wildance. 4 Instant Deaths. And 1 Petrify. Yeah, I'm done. I'll probably just record a kill at daytime and put that up instead. Sorry to disappoint.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 13, 2015

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He's going on to EO3, which is a less buggy-rear end but still hilariously broken game. Fetus can't escape.

Basically this. A game so broken I was able to let my friends pick from generic DnD tropes and then assign characters in my current playthrough, and somehow I'm making it!

(Mostly due to familiarity and a lot of my "assigning" ending up with the typical fun party member loadouts. My one friend thankfully blessed me with a sword Gladiator though!)

edit: The last thing this LP has been at any point is dissappoint. It's an Etrian Odyssey final boss. BEFORE subclassing. DOING IT THE HARD WAY. That every attempt didn't end immediately is a credit to you as a player actually!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well I was hoping to get a nighttime kill without using Force Skills, but it's honesty just not really feasible unless you're party is level 99. No matter which party combination I try, I can't survive long enough to take him down. I'm not really frustrated, just bored because at that point the fight just amounts to surviving a dice roll. Those kinds of fights aren't really interesting at all because there's absolutely no strategy involved. And he has several kill moves, some of which can be survived in certain conditions. But the only way you can do that is if you actively plan for it. Also, the thing used Begone 3 turns in a row in one of my attempts, and that was with extremely lucky CPR procs. Funnily enough, that wasn't what killed me. No, the next turn he used Wildance. 4 Instant Deaths. And 1 Petrify. Yeah, I'm done. I'll probably just record a kill at daytime and put that up instead. Sorry to disappoint.

Heh, you definitely did not disappoint with both this fight and the LP in general.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Deleting bosses.

:magical:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Perhaps try with a mediocre party in the morning, then wreck its face come nighttime.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Deleting bosses...killing the true final boss with little more than a nigh worthless skill...Fetus has it all. Fetus shall carve his way through the forums and into the annals of SA history

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So fun fact, there was another bug that I thought was in this game, that got fixed in localization. In the Japanese version, if you kill too many enemies in one fight, which is accomplished by fighting an enemy that can summon other enemies, like the Ladybugs and the Raflesias. The game will dump a random weapon in your inventory. Any weapon. This included stuff like the Dragvandil, which is the sword that has like around 180 attack and the Force Up attribute. That you could get in the 1st Stratum. Granted, this was also a risky bug, since it could also dump in a weapon that you can't discard or sell.

Rangpur posted:

Calling it a true ending is misleading. It's really just a way for the developers to say, "look we know at least one of you spergy fucks is crazy enough to try this even if you didn't get anything for it, so here's a token acknowledgment of the effort."

The only endings which mean anything are the main storyline and 100% completion of the compendium.

Hivac posted:

Which, considering how the equipment compendium exists in 2, is still way more out of the way then the rest of the games.

This game is a big favorite of mine, but I won't deny that it has a lot of questionable decisions.

Edit: I'm fairly sure that ending breaks the fourth wall and tells you to go outside or something along those lines.

Right, so this was said near the beginning of the LP, and I'm just gonna go ahead and debunk this. There is absolutely no benefit from leveling up to 99. No extra ending, no extra dialogue at all. None. I checked everywhere on the internet to see if such a thing existed, and there was nothing about it. I even checked for myself in the game. Nothing. Do not level up to 99 unless you really want to take down nighttime Ur-Child without Force Skills.

Also, here:

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEFKO1yz9qXw

A video of the Ur-Child fight at day. Basically the destroy option, but it involves significantly less dunking than the counter strategy. I don't know if I'll actually write that out into screenshots, and the game essentially doesn't resolve the whole monsters are heading to Lagaard plot at all thanks to a bug. And cheats can't be used to see the textbox, because that's not how cheats work.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ur-Child: The End-Bringer

An Invitation Upwards.

Hazardous Habitat.

Field of Mortal Peril.

A Soaring Shadow Above.

The King's Roar Sounds.

Vale of Hidden Threats.

The Balance of Pain and Fear.

Fire-cloaked Demon's Den.

The Unopened Crimson Jaws.

The Hellion's Domain.

A Trap of Ice and Sorrow.

Daunting Frozen Path.

The Heart's Gordian Knot.

Allure of the Ice Princess.

Gateway to Sorrow.

Echoing Leaden Footsteps.

Forest of Weeping Bounties.

Sting that Fells the Fragile.

The Painted Phantasms.

An Eternal Winged War.

An Evil-Eyed Door.

The Serpent's Narrow Path.

A Crazed Black Beast.

The Dark Eyes See All.

The Overlord of Daybreak.

A Sealed, Distorted Corridor.

Imprisoned by God's Keys.

The Child Loathed by Heaven.

Lost in Illusion.

Heroes's Unmarked Grave.

One last thing left to do.

Video: The Final Battle

PC-88 Version

PC-88 Version

At last, it's over.

After you kill the Ur-Child for the first time, all the Riptors on the floor, aside from the two in the first room, will permanently disappear.

: Ha ha! Dominated, twinkle-toes!

: Ha. I can't believe we actually did that! Huh. It feels like the whole place got a lot more quiet.

: Yes, I do believe it got more peaceful.

: I guess killing the End-Bringer put a stop to all that?

: Maybe. Canaan did say it was one of the main reasons the monsters were heading down the tree. Now that its gone, well... Hmm. I guess we better head back and pack up. There's nothing left for us in Lagaard.

PC-88 Version

The Monster Codex...

The Item Compendium...

And the Gear Registry are now all complete! We are completely done with Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard.

Nothing is left to do in the game, so it's time to leave.

As opposed to Etria, where compiling everything actually put them out of business and turned them into a ghost town.

Basically, when you stop playing Etrian Odyssey II.

When you complete everything possible in an Etrian Odyssey game, you're given an ultimate accessory that serves little purpose since you've already done everything. After this point, the credits roll.

PC-88 Version

The 100% credits roll... is the exact same thing as the regular credits roll, so I'm not gonna show the whole thing again. It does have new artwork and music, (though the latter is a bit repetitive) so I'll show that off.

So, what did you think of the game? I know I made it look bad at times, and I personally don't like it, but it is a genuinely good game. It just does some dumb stuff here and there.

For those of you that had trouble getting into the EO series, I hope this LP was helpful in doing so.

And for those of you that still have trouble, well I hope you enjoyed the game and this LP.

Oh of course the Muckdile gets his own artwork. :argh: Anyways, I've made several missteps and mistakes over the course of this LP. My gameplay was riddled with several mistakes that were avoidable, and I've written things that I heavily regret.

Still, I was glad that I got to show off the game.

Thank you for reading.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 22, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Muckdile showing up in the ending amused me far more than it probably should have. :allears:

This was a fantastic read in preparation for EO2U. I'll be looking forward to your EO3 LP!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Congratulations. :golfclap:

A superb effort from start to finish, and the only completed EO LP on the forums to date. I eagerly await EO3, and I just want to say yet again, well goddamn done, you crazy motherfucker. Well. Goddamn. Done.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Great job, Dr. Fetus. The whole LP was entertaining, from the perspective of someone who has never played an Etrian Odyssey game but was interested in them. Not only from the game itself, your commentary was great too, and the character writing was impressive. Also you kept tearing the game new holes and I greatly enjoy seeing games known for their difficulty treated this way. You made a joke out of the superboss not once but twice!

Again, congratulations on a job well done, and I'll be eagerly looking forward to the EO3 LP.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Glad you managed to stick it out and see it through to the end. :unsmith:

... Although I'm curious about something involving the Ur-Child. If you fight him during the day, he follows a set pattern; if you fight him at night, he uses random attacks.

What happens if you start the battle near the end of the day and let it tick over into night? Does he switch over to random attacks, or does he maintain his standard daytime attack pattern?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Top . Very enjoyable and looking forward to eo3.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
A Muckdile portrait in the credits that just screams "I wanted to have more fun with you!". It had its ups, its downs, it was the first EO game I played and it's been a blast playing each one ever since. Looking forward to EO3 from you.

Congrats on finishing this LP! :thumbsup:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I posted earlier that I couldn't really get into the EO series, and I still stand by my opinion. The cartography aspect wasn't too fun for me since I preferred exploring without necessarily marking things down correctly. That included stuff like mislabeling spots or forgetting to mark down paths entirely. :v: Seeing all those neatly laid-out maps in the LP was really nice though. I think my favorite part was the detailed mechanics write-ups (and the subsequent boss glitch abuse, that was great).

It's just one of those cases where the concept is cool, but I don't have enough time and patience to play the games. Luckily I didn't have to. Thanks for LPing it and congratulations on finishing!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

Congratulations. :golfclap:

A superb effort from start to finish, and the only completed EO LP on the forums to date. I eagerly await EO3, and I just want to say yet again, well goddamn done, you crazy motherfucker. Well. Goddamn. Done.

No, this guy actually had a complete LP of EO1, postgame and all. But the LP never got archived, and all the images were lost because they were hosted on Waffleimages.

W.T. Fits posted:

Glad you managed to stick it out and see it through to the end. :unsmith:

... Although I'm curious about something involving the Ur-Child. If you fight him during the day, he follows a set pattern; if you fight him at night, he uses random attacks.

What happens if you start the battle near the end of the day and let it tick over into night? Does he switch over to random attacks, or does he maintain his standard daytime attack pattern?

Nothing. His AI is set at the start of the battle.

Gonna go back and do a final edit over my updates and change some stuff around since a lot of these updates were just :effort:. For one thing, I'm gonna cut out some unfunny garbage, and spruce up some stuff to keep it up to date. Like this update is getting the axe since it was a joke update, was mainly fanfiction, and added nothing significant to the LP. If anyone wants to watch a solo Alchemist take down the final boss, they can just watch the video. (important stuff will be moved to the next update.) Also I made several mistakes like letting my fanfiction overtake the game at some points, and I'm aiming to fix that before it gets sent off to the archives. (The game should ALWAYS be at the forefront.) Or just not let it go to the archives, who know. Also some of the things I did visibly changed over the LP, like the FOE patrol paths, which really bothers me.

Ugh.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 14, 2015

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Thank you for a great LP, Doktor.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, so against my better judgement, I'll make the EO3 LP a narrative one. Sure, let's get another train-wreck rolling, why not? If it doesn't work out, I'll just stick to regular informative commentary. At any rate, I don't know how many people actually want to make a character so I'll change the rules of character creation slightly, though they'll be mostly the same as this thread's rules. For one thing, it won't be first come first serve anymore. Well not right away, if not enough people want to make one, that's what I'll stick with. If it's like a stampede or something, I'll have people vote on who they want to see in the LP. Or I could just pick and choose myself, haven't decided on that one yet. Oh, and the thread will be posted on Monday at 12:00 pm Central Time, DST On.

Also I have another issue and that is that I lack a thread title. The current one I have in mind is Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City. So yeah. I guess people can try to come up with one, and whoever comes up with the one I actually use will gain special privileges!?!? I dunno. Point is, I don't have a thread title in mind, and I would like a nice one.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dr F, I think you're being overly critical of your writing. I think the lp as is, is fine :)

Also what are the odds of Fedot carrying from 2 to 3?

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also I have another issue and that is that I lack a thread title. The current one I have in mind is Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City. So yeah. I guess people can try to come up with one, and whoever comes up with the one I actually use will gain special privileges!?!? I dunno. Point is, I don't have a thread title in mind, and I would like a nice one.

I'd say change it as you go, but as a start, start simple, like you did with this one.

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City - It Begins Again

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I agree, you did a really good job with the narrative. And a good job with all of the numbers and being informative. This was a great LP, you can't get down on yourself or get stuck thinking about how things should have gone. This was an amazing LP, and I definitely think you should archive it.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Etrian Odyssey III: HIGH SEAS ADVENTURE (or not).

I suck, right? :<

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
My best suggestion involves what i consider to be a minor spoiler, but just in case:

Etrian Odyssey III: Pirates and Ninjas and Robots oh my!

Or for less potential spoilers:

Etrian Odyssey III: You thought the deer were scary

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Dr. Fetus posted:

I don't know how you would make the thread title around it, but I suggest using Drowning in Choices.

The choices being the route split.

Anyway, congrats on finishing the LP!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, so against my better judgement, I'll make the EO3 LP a narrative one. Sure, let's get another train-wreck rolling, why not? If it doesn't work out, I'll just stick to regular informative commentary. At any rate, I don't know how many people actually want to make a character so I'll change the rules of character creation slightly, though they'll be mostly the same as this thread's rules. For one thing, it won't be first come first serve anymore. Well not right away, if not enough people want to make one, that's what I'll stick with. If it's like a stampede or something, I'll have people vote on who they want to see in the LP. Or I could just pick and choose myself, haven't decided on that one yet. Oh, and the thread will be posted on Monday at 12:00 pm Central Time, DST On.

Just have people suggest ideas for characters and take whichever personality you like for the wildling or buccaneer or what have you and go from there. Expecting Aegis to be a villain aside I didn't have any problems with it. Hell, you've got less people with grievances against your fanfiction than the guy who took over Megaman Battle Network 3 from Epee Em so cheer up a little will ya? :shobon:

Also, Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City - Squirrels Are Not In This Series Anymore.

Chilblain
Oct 20, 2012

"You used some rude language towards me."
For that reason alone, I'll drop you into hell.
How about Let's run this boat into the ground! (Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

tithin posted:

Also what are the odds of Fedot carrying from 2 to 3?

None, he's too busy in Aslarga. :v:

(I'm not actually using him.)

Nah but that's impossible for a couple of reasons. One, while I did come up with the veteran idea (mainly to showcase the password feature), in the end, he isn't my character. I don't know if the guy who made him still reads this thread. Also, I'm not doing the veteran thing again for EO3 since I wanna try out new things. In fact let me just put in a rule against that, if your character was used in this LP, you're not allowed to submit them again for EO3. Besides, the EO2 and EO3 class portraits really don't look that much alike. Etrian Odyssey isn't really like Final Fantasy, the games are connected in a way. But for the most part, EO2 and EO3 are kind of their own things and I kind of want to stick with that. On the other hand, if you were around for theshim's EO3 LP, and had a character used in that one, I'll accept those, though keep in mind they might be written differently.

RareAcumen posted:

Just have people suggest ideas for characters and take whichever personality you like for the wildling or buccaneer or what have you and go from there. Expecting Aegis to be a villain aside I didn't have any problems with it. Hell, you've got less people with grievances against your fanfiction than the guy who took over Megaman Battle Network 3 from Epee Em so cheer up a little will ya? :shobon:

Also, Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City - Squirrels Are Not In This Series Anymore.

Maybe I'll do that, it'll make deciding which characters I can really work with easier.

And yes, mistakes aside, in the end I'm glad I did the LP. I learned a lot about what I could really do. And I got to show off a game that I don't think too many people were familiar with, so that's a plus.

Really tempted to use that as the thread title.

Chilblain posted:

How about Let's run this boat into the ground! (Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City)

Or this.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Just want to agree that your writing really is very good. That update you were thinking about removing was actually one of my favourites.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Nice work :golfclap:

Seriously though, this was probably one of my favourite LPs on the forums at the moment. Looking forward to EO3.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Let us know in here when the new thread is up and when we can contribute characters :)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Don't cut the Alchemist solo-final boss, that was great! We all agree on redecorating that awful place, and your fanfiction is enjoyed by the thread, so I see no reason to be so harsh on yourself or remove the chance of reading that hilarious thing in the archives.

Also the squirrel title is clearly the way to go, considering how many Warp Wires have been lost in this LP.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blaze Dragon posted:

Don't cut the Alchemist solo-final boss, that was great! We all agree on redecorating that awful place, and your fanfiction is enjoyed by the thread, so I see no reason to be so harsh on yourself or remove the chance of reading that hilarious thing in the archives.

Also the squirrel title is clearly the way to go, considering how many Warp Wires have been lost in this LP.

More wires have been forgotten than stolen.

Etrain Odyssey III: Can't forget Warp wires anymore.

(the joke is they're called ariadne threads now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Curse everyone who can already play Etrian Mystery dungeon. I really hate that Europe has to wait 6-12 months for a release even though they don't even add more language options.

• Locked thread