Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Neat, I was looking forward to this!

Ronin Ken, Portrait 1. (Full name is Kenneth, but nobody remembers to call him that)

Ken isn't actually a samurai, or really much of a warrior. He's just a fan of samurai stories and owns a few cheap replica swords and a costume. Somehow he got roped into joining the guild due to a bizarre mix of politeness, a pushover personality, and near crippling social anxiety; he could never muster up the courage to say no or correct people of their misconceptions. Everyone mistook his long silences and inability to utter more than two or three words at a time for a True Warrior's stoic attitude. Between that and his grim appearance (the scar came from an accident at the gym), nobody thought to question him. But hey, he's kinda athletic and looks the part, so maybe he could pull off the whole Ronin thing... Even if all the knowledge he has of fighting comes from cheesy samurai adventure novels and comic books.

As for a guild name, Guild Boundless sounds cool. Character limit of 8 nixes that, though. Dang old-school RPG sensibilities didn't have to extend that far!

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That eight character limit really puts a damper on all the fun names we can come up with.

Let's see... the guild shall be known as Unseemly unless someone picks a better one.

Someone please pick a better one.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, the Firefly guild sounds way better, that has my vote.

Loving all the character suggestions so far, this group is gonna be great.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I dunno, an anemic Protector who sometimes collapses before the enemy even strikes has nearly as much comedic potential. Edit: too late for that.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

What, no Troubador entries?

Nobody wants to be the bard...

Also, Kemix, the Medic role got claimed already, better switch it up if you want to have your suggestion picked.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ah, all the xp bars lined up identically in lockstep. Won't be long before sudden deaths and desperate victories send them all in disarray.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Wow, I didn't expect to see so many people who tried to maintain XP equilibrium in these games. I like to do it too, but I'd never have even tried it in a series like this.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

KingEffingFrost posted:

It's OK, the game is just trying to wean you off of synched up EXP bars... as violently as possible.

Really, they're doing us all a favor. Just think, if this were Final Fantasy a single Level 5 Death could wipe the whole party out.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, I think the idea behind much of EOIII was that they'd make it as different as possible since a few people felt like EO2 was more of a patch or expansion than a true sequel. Bugfixes, tweaks, a few new classes, etc.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'd love an RPG like Etrian with a Weapon Master class where different branches of weapon skills synergize and reward you from branching out. Like, one trick from the thrusting swords lends a special ability to the polearms, which in turn lends stuff to axes, etc.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'd like to see more Nick, Ken, and Frederik.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Wow, Gilbert was the mvp of that dive.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

I tried to start working on the next actual update. (Still waiting for the next page to post the mini update) and, well.

I think I've had more deaths and game overs in this LP than playing any EO game normally. What a poo poo show.

Dammit, Nick.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'd like to see Fedot, Bellamy, and Aegis back in the party. All the talk of how Alchemists are kinda meh in the later Stratums makes me want to see Bellamy in action while he can still dazzle us all.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That looks kinda boring. Please don't use the bow so soon.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Emilia, Fedot, and Aegis

I wanna see what Fedot can do, and in turn what Emilia can do.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I can't wait to see what comes next.

My vote goes to LPers choice.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Well so far the stratum seem to be cycling through seasons. First was a cheery summery glade, second was an autumn forest, third was a frigid alpine area... the next either will swing back around to a spring jungle or go double-down on the cold aspect and be an inhospitable glacier.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

tithin posted:

Mate, just play what'll get you through the game

No need to vote for a new party every few floors, this game loving hates that you exist, so don't give it any chances.

Yeah, I agree. Voting was fun early on, but now I say you just switch the team up as you wish when you wish, and if that means sticking to the original end-game team you outlined in the OP back when this thread started so be it.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, it was too early when it was first unlocked, but now is the time to unseal Pauline's ULTIMATE POWER. Use that bow!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Three votes to LPer's choice. Haha, I love it and hate it when games get to this point. No more pulled punches, even regular random encounters are potentially deadly. It's a ton of fun to have to bring your A-game to each battle... sometimes. But other times it just turns into an un-fun slog and you can't be bothered to reach the end.

Me? I'd have probably lost steam well before this Statum. Good luck, Dr. Fetus.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I bet the floating castle is a techno-magic fusion kinda thing like the one in Crystalis. The winged dudes are robots who maintain the inner workings.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'd like to see Fedot, Ken, and Nick along for the last ride.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Sel Nar posted:

Considering what we started with, it might be interesting or fun to bring back the original team for the final push into the inner sanctum of the castle.

Yeah, this sounds fun. Give my three votes to whichever of the original five have the fewest votes.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Briareus? No prob. Random 30th floor encounter? Total party wipe. ouch.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Dunk the Ur-Child harder than you did the Wyrm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, I'd say that counts as "Dunk'd harder than the Wyrm." A very satisfying update.

• Locked thread