Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

thefailtrain posted:

I don't think so, since the clinic was merged with the Inn. Unless the lady with the stew pot that ran that place was a cameo...

The hospital was merged with the inn in EO3, though EO3 does still have a shopkeeper from the Trauma Center series. It may be a thing which is limited to the games on the original DS though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
For those who haven't heard it yet, here are the two music tracks from this update redone for the upcoming remake of the game:

1st Stratum theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmmnvrVMC5Y
1st Normal battle theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlpVp-2fP6k

Really looking forward to this LP since I am a big fan of the series and this is the only one I haven't played through in some form / know the least about.
Waiting until the remake comes out here to play it though, since presumably it will do away with the more controversial aspects of this game.

edit:
It is pretty funny how Atlus introduced a lot of small negative drawbacks to using a password file
Does the password transfer from EO1 transfer your EO1 characters and make them level 1 or anything like that?
I thought something like that was the reason why the EO2 character portraits are the same as 1 but in different poses, I guess

asvodel fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 12, 2014

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I didn't realize that Dominate always worked, wow I am sure it will get nerfed in EOU2. Along with Climax probably from what I have heard about it in this game.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Hivac posted:

Also, the portraits in the discussion are actually the ones from EO1. The character designs are the same but the art is slightly better and they're in different poses. For some reason there's next to no readily available information about EO2 and I've never been able to find a good source for portraits myself.

http://www.legendra.com/rpg/fiche-rpg_id-2392-supports_id-36-rpg-etrian_odyssey_ii__heroes_of_lagaard.html#galerie_art_2392_36_20_1

This site has (almost?) all the EO2 character sprites

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
If I am not getting too ahead of the LP, what is the single best thing about War Magus that would make having one be worth losing Revive and the other healing skills the Medic has?

All the sword skills don't sound all that great on paper, they are highly conditional and especially if they're in the back row, probably don't offer the type of huge damage that other very conditional skills like ecstasy and shadow bite have. As far as the other effects they seem to mostly be things like binds which could be done at any time by a dark hunter, gunner or hexer.

Though not having used them, are there particular skills which don't sound special but are actually really useful in the game?

Is it a class that comes into its own in the middle/late game?

I guess in my own brief explorations of EO2, I initially went with the same party classes as the LP but I just switched out the War Magus for a Medic today because I was sick of having to go back to town when the two squishy front row attackers died, especially since I am usually broke and Nectar costs 500 en..

The hexers are definitely great though, it is almost like having a high level poison arcanist in EO4 without having to wait until the third stratum.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Good to know, I think I will do without one then, unless maybe in EOU2 if they get revive (which they probably will due to the story mode party)
On a somewhat related note I wonder if Medics in EOU got all the status inducing skills they did since the story mode party doesn't have a dark hunter or hexer in it. Or if it was purely just to balance out the alchemist having it in 1.

I hadn't thought about the speed aspect of it. 3 and 4 have a lot of tricks to make sure you can heal at the very beginning of the turn, I hadn't done anything like it in Untold but I will have to keep in mind the weapon speed thing in the future and maybe use the equipment features of grimoires to take advantage of it. I guess Simon in the story mode starts out that way

Other than Regenall, any of the War Magus's buffs level up to affect a whole line or party, or are they always single target only?

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Begone, I love it :atlus:

I feel like the structure of this floor is a closely patterned homage after the final floor of the original Wizardry game. It was the same affair where it was a series of corridors which opened into rooms, and in each room there was a forced encounter with normal enemies upon opening the door. Each section had two teleporters, one which advanced to the next section and one which was an exit back to town. Though they followed a rule where the right side teleporters always led to the exit and the game gave you a hint about it.
I guess the main differences being that there was no shortcut once reaching the final boss's room, and that Wizardry at least didn't have FOEs.

Circles are teleporters, "0" circles are exit teleporters and crossed swords are forced encounters when opening doors. Bottom left corner is the entrance and bottom right corner is the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

EO4's true final boss is by far the easiest of the true final bosses. All the classes are really powerful and can take it down pretty easily. Unless you were to fight it without chemicals. :unsmigghh: At which point it easily becomes the hardest true final boss in the whole series.

Also worth noting that at least with chemicals, in its "after the arms are killed" form, it always follows the same exact turn by turn pattern, so you can defend against its attacks very well once you know what it will do on that turn and have the party set up that way.

• Locked thread