Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, let's enter this madhouse!

Maverick the Medic, Portrait 3

A cheery healer always happy to help the wounded. Well, maybe too eager, the adrenaline rush and the sense of satisfaction he gets from healing people means he wants to heal everyone as often as possible. And is paranoid as hell so he wants to stuff the bag with many, many different healing items just in case. Also a fan of swinging his staff around, not that he hits anyone but himself with it...

Looking forward to refreshing my memory of this game, I've only played it once (and will never restart since I really don't feel like doing 100% again), but I enjoyed the hell out of it, mainly because I did the games in order and this felt so good compared to 1. Looking forward to the remake also!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Firefly sounds good, so does a socially awkward warrior aspiring panda.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 5, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Aleator posted:

A socially awkward warrior aspiring panda named Bear?

Perfect.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kemix posted:

God drat it. Ah well, I guess she can be a bard or beast or something.

Sorry, but I was too slow to be an Alchemist. And I love me some elemental wielding. So happy obsessive paranoid healer was my second choice.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I think we can just about see it, but they box the stairs with walls. The swines! Do they not know how to draw?! :argh:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah now I remember how they draw the maps and it's EVEN WORSE AHHHHH. I guess it makes sense, but it looks awful and I need my maps to look good, definitely won't be judging yours.

everything must look perrrrfect

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Man look at all those cool map symbols you have. They thought it was a bright idea to tell you what the symbol was so you only had room for ten. And only one map colour. And no sidestepping argh!

I definitely prefer 2, but 1 has its charms as well. Really good update, keep it up!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

theshim had an EO3 lp that stopped at the end of last year, so you'll need archives. It's also a good example of why you don't let the thread decide your starting party.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well at least you only made it to the second floor, so easy enough to restart if something terrible happens. I'm guessing you can get your hard drives and put them in a new computer.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It would also be kinda cool if he got elemental arrows to kinda combine Sniper and Runemaster from that game, since the MC seems to have element chasers, unless the War Magus can cast spells???

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's improved a bit in the third game, where you could see them if they went on any adjacent squares you were walking on, so you could never be surprised like that. But from 4 onwards, they show up from a three tile radius I believe. And if they ever got pissed at you.

And from 4 onwards you could see them really easily anyway, since the draw distance is much, muuuuuch larger and it's hard to miss a hulking 3D model, as opposed to an orange sphere popping into existence three squares away.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

:allears:

Why isn't this thread gold yet?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'll go with Aegis, Bellamy and Pauline. Need a party composition that won't make this boss a complete cakewalk.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I love your interpretation of Climax. :allears:

And the gift, uh, I'll be a teen rebel and go with the flowers. Yeah.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's better to get Untold on the eshop, because good luck finding it in shops. I was lucky to get a physical copy of EO4 and the guy behind the counter said that was the only copy of that series he'd ever seen. Etrian Odyssey is rare as hell in Europe, so I'll probably be getting an online copy of EOU2... if it's ever localized! :sigh:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'll go Frederick, Fedot and Gilbert just to be annoying.

quote:

I guess voting will end when I finish up the whole grinding thing, which won't be for a while. (Why am I doing this to myself?)

This is where a x32 exp cheat would be very useful, if only to cut the grinding time by a couple hours, which is perfect for me.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Refresh my memory, troubadours get a skill that lets them cancel enemy buffs, don't they? If we had Gilbert with us, could we force it to get stuck in a loop where it tries to buff itself, he dispels the buff, so it tries to reapply it on the next turn?

I think in those cases the enemy just continues on and attacks you, buff or not. But that's for later games, so maybe for this game, who knows?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Fedot, Emelia, Frederik

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well, uh, that's one way to take down a boss. Are you sure Bellamy's not from Fafnir?

And now we're in the pretty stratum! This place was a great surprise when I first played and I love the sound you make as you walk, I'm a sucker for that kinda thing.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh hey, Maverick hit himself with his staff, just like his character description. :neckbeard:

RareAcumen posted:

I'm glad Etrian Odyssey is getting popular enough to finally have people LPing it. I really need someone to do 3 so I can see what the broken stuff is in it.

I was very tempted to start an EO3 LP this summer, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time or the energy to do an SSLP and I'm not sure if I can do a VLP and keep up the interest across the whole game. My usual co-commentator ran away screaming at the idea and if I do do it, I would prefer a range of various people who enjoy the series and will talk about the series during the boring bits. It seems like something I'd be doing for a while, so you really have to be sure you want to do it.

So I've been bouncing the idea back and forth and now I kinda want to do it again. Goddammit.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I think I've convinced myself, so RIP free time, but I'm also thinking of getting a capture card sometime next year with all this money I don't have and then hoo boy. Summer 2016 will probably be around the release of EOU2 too. :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That is beautiful.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If no one's done it by April, then I will, by drat.

(Will be the ONLY emote for my EO3 thread)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

These are parts of the map the DLC locks off

Also, if you buy any DLC that has new enemies, then the Codex is updated to include every DLC with new enemies, so you have to get it all to fill it. Or buy none at all.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Note that I'm planning on a VLP, so when no one watches my videos and I move on to something else, then feel free. :v:

And I probably won't be starting that until June/July anyway.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Rangpur posted:

I am, uh, intensely curious how you plan to make a VLP out of Etrian Odyssey. Love the games, but they're not the most riveting material when played as a film.

Mainly I just don't want to do an SSLP, especially since it'll be my first one. I have batted the idea back and forth and I can make it interesting if I edit things out, have party votes often and various co-commentators from the megathread and anyone else who wants to hop on. It'll be quite a bit of work, which is why I'll be doing it when my life will be fairly quiet. And I'm hoping to have it done in six months. But it will be quicker to do a VLP.

But I'm mainly seeing how well it'll work. VLPs of these games have been done before, it's the whole reason I got into the series. But if it loses interest and I lose interest, oh well, I'll just move on to another LP. And then Fetus makes an EO3 LP like this one, then then great, because this has been a fantastic LP.

Anyway, uh, speaking of how great this thread is and how I shouldn't be ruining it, I'll vote for Frederik, then Aegis and Maverick so they're not left out. :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Is this what you're looking for?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I forgot that he wanted a hi five. In my mind, when Aliara saved the party, Bellamy tries to hug her, but she stops him every time. This is preferable, no romantic nonsense here.

But uh, since Hexer's have their limbs chained, it would be difficult for them to hi five. :eng101:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Sorry, I wasn't being creepy. I was thinking more on the lines of spontaneous hugging when something amazing happens.

Also, 12 year olds should not know that many curse words then. They do. But they shouldn't.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Gotta get with the times. A EOU Expert Story VLP. While reading the text out loud. In different voices.

Also, if Fedot came from Etria, what was his previous class?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Now the real game begins. :unsmigghh:

But seriously, this has been a great LP, the perfect way to LP an EO game. Why isn't this thread gold yet?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, I remember that quest now. But not in time to remind you that you'd missed it.

Honestly, if that's all you've missed that's quite impressive, these are pretty big games.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah I have been waiting for this. The Forbidden Wood is definitely one of my favorite Stratum in any game. Shiver really helps, too.

Also, love the LP's new title!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Aah, the postgame, it will always be fun.

Good luck, Dr.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, best find the daughter as soon as possible, since the quest name seems like a bad omen.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Love the series, hate the fans.

I did spend some time looking around for other EO fansites to get info, see how people played the game, the usual stuff and I mistakenly believed that maybe the EO thread in /vg/ might have some info I could use and the OP does have a few links to pastebins and whatnot, but reading through the thread I unfortunately found one specific discussion.

After 1000 years... can Ricky still have children?

:fuckoff:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah, I remember going through this floor. No, it wasn't fun, why do you ask?

But yeah, it took me a couple of weeks to properly get through the sixth stratum, so it's perfectly understandable it's wearing on you.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You make it seem so easy.

And yeah, with Gamefaqs, the postgame's not half bad, I like knowing what's in advance.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And to new players, it doesn't mean anything to them. It's instead "aww cool, I can't wait to kill that thing." We only know it's spoilery because we've played it. I suppose it sucks for people that want to go in completely blind.

The only questionable choice is revealing that Artelind and Wilhelm are bad guys, but since they usually make not so subtle threats by the second stratum, it's not that big a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So not only are you breaking the game, you've also found a completely new attack?

:atlus:

• Locked thread