Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That wasn't a metaphor.

( Last week: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3661555 )

On with the show. Your writer this week is Mark Gatiss! The line producer is Nikki Wilson, and the director is Paul Murphy (Whocomer with experience on soaps and Wizards vs Aliens). Robot of Sherwood will be the 244th Doctor Who story ever told, and the 803rd individual episode.

Timeslot is 7:30pm in the Queen's Own Summer Time Zone, on BBC One. At this time, all suspicious Johnny Foreigner types must vacate the thread immediately (if not quicker) until watching the episode, or risk being foully and irretrievably spoiled! Note also that this episode runs 50 minutes (there's a lot of it about this year).

Speaking of spoilers, if you feel the need to satisfy any weird and unnatural urges to discuss what might be about to happen next before it's been aired, there is a no-holds barred spoiler thread where you can pretend that you aren't all sad, broken people who hate fun and mystery.

And it seems like a quick restatement of the First Law of Doctor Who Fans is a necessary thing to have here, so. The First Law of Doctor Who fans says: "No substantive discussion group shall be entirely able to agree on the merits of any given story, not even the 'except X, that just plain sucked/rocked' corollary to this law." Please bear this in mind before bemoaning THE THREAD HIVEMIND CONSENSUS. (Wouldn't that make a great episode title? Or at least a great Big Bang Theory episode title?)

:siren: RATINGS GO HERE, IF YOU DON'T CARE, SCROLL RIGHT DOWN :siren:

Full explanation of what all this means is in the Deep Breath thread. TL;DR, it's all fine, chill out, people are still watching and loving the show.

code:
Into the Dalek

Overnights: 5.2 million, a 25.7% share.  AI of 84.  
Chart: 2nd for Saturday behind The X Factor (9.3 million)
Timeslot: Won vs The Chase (4.2 million) then maintaned audience vs The X Factor
Final rating: PENDING

Convictland: 1.1 million
If you can help with ratings from other countries, please let me know.

Deep Breath

Overnights: 6.8 million, a 32.5% share.  AI of 82.  1st for Saturday.
Timeslot: Won, vs some awful poo poo on ITV that nobody watched
Final rating: 9.17 million (!!!), 2nd for the week (behind The Great British Bake-Off (!!! ))

USA! USA! USA!: 2.6 million, the highest rating ever for a premiere on BBC America, 
the most-watched cable show of its timeslot
Canuckistan: 1.4 million on Space, the highest-rated show on the channel so far this year
Convictland: 1.187 million on the ABC, the highest-rated drama of the day.
:siren:

AND FINALLY, this week in Doctor Who history, both 50 and 25 years ago:

5th September 1964: A Bargain of Necessity, episode 5 of The Reign of Terror, by Dennis Spooner, with William Hartnell, William Russell, Carole Ann Ford and Jacqueline Hill. The episode no longer exists in the archives.

6th September 1989: Part One of Battlefield (gag), by Ben Aaronovitch, with Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred and Nicholas Courtney.

(The first weekend of September, the back-to-school weekend, has seen the beginning of no fewer than 16 runs of Doctor Who; expand it a couple of weeks for wriggle room and you're looking at more than 20 all starting at about this time of year.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Someone do a lot of posting please so my 2,000 words on The Krotons isn't the first thing people see when they read the thread.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I do not have high expectations so I will probably not be dissatisfied. I enjoyed the previous two episodes, and I hope that I will enjoy this one as well, even if it is not especially good.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Someone do a lot of posting please so my 2,000 words on The Krotons isn't the first thing people see when they read the thread.

But the Doctor Who thread thrives on word-walls! Thrives!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

This episode has had a small biy removed apparently

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Welp, time to see if Capaldi can save a Gatiss script. :geno:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Autonomous Monster posted:

Do not mock the annual Gatissode

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Last year's were both really really good

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I admit Cold War was a lot of fun, but Crimson Horror never really gelled for me.

A lot better than Victory of the Daleks, to be fair.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last year, Gatiss delivered an okay episode (Cold War) and a really great one (Crimson Horror) and I also quite liked Night Terrors in season 6, so he seems to finally be realizing his obvious potential... knock on wood.

I'm more concerned by the director, who doesn't sound like he has the best pedigree.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I really liked Cold War, but I think that was all David Warner's fault. I'm so glad they finally got him into live action Who.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm more concerned by the director, who doesn't sound like he has the best pedigree.

I dunno, going by his IMDB, he's a pretty solid TV director with 11 years worth of experience.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 5, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Krotons is proving difficult to write up. It's hard to know where to begin :negative:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I actually stopped watching regularly after Asylum and pretty much lost interest after Angels in Manhattan incredible dumb ending, so I was pretty positivity surprised when I did caught up with the series last years and found the majority of series 7 part 2 to be pretty entertaining.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

Last year, Gatiss delivered an okay episode (Cold War) and a really great one (Crimson Horror) and I also quite liked Night Terrors in season 6, so he seems to finally be realizing his obvious potential... knock on wood.

I really liked Cold War, but I'm willing to admit a lot of that was because of David Warner and residual 80's Cold War nostalgia from watching The Americans.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still not sold on the idea of the Doctor/Nyssa team in Big Finish, the stories I've heard so far have been good or bad independent of anything her character brings to the table, even in the case of Primeval where she is utterly integral to the entire narrative. Nothing against Sarah Sutton who gives perfectly fine performances that mesh well with her television appearances, but so far to me nobody seems to have really grasped any aspect of Nyssa's character that would make her stand out ala Janet Fielding as Tegan. Maybe that's the point? That she's exactly what she appears, a very nice and intelligent lady who gets on well with the Doctor and happens to be traveling with him. But considering the responsibility/obligation he supposedly feels for her given his indirect part in her father's death, there needs to be something more. It's not like the writers (or Robert Holmes at least) weren't capable of that, since it's a pretty hefty part of the Doctor/Peri relationship in The Caves of Androzani.

Don't know how far you've gotten in your Davison run, but Nyssa's the only companion that could have worked in darker stories like Spare Parts and Creatures of Beauty, which tie very directly into her sole-survivor, PTSD guilt.

I haven't gotten to Circular Time yet, but I'm looking forward to it from what everybody's said!

Jerusalem posted:

Vengeance on Varos is good, so is The Two Doctors (some will disagree, they are liars) but they're "good" with qualifiers.
Two Doctors is worth a watch for the last time you get to see major Holmes world-building. He creates an entire galactic society with distinct cultures and traditions all through dialogue, just like the old days.

And some Time Lord gobbledygook that Big Finish would eventually put to good use in Gallifrey.

Everyone should listen to Gallifrey.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Two Doctors is really really weird. Like there's that part at the beginning where Six has to go to sleep and you wonder how Two and Jaime are even there looking older and people come up with season 6B. Then there's that bizarre cannibal chef bro who ends up palling around with Two.

It's hard not to enjoy because Troughton and Colin have so much fun with it and the chef guy plays his role with such gusto, but it's hard to really say that it's good or even fair because it is downright bizarre from start to finish, and more in the confusing "What the hell were they thinking?!" way than the fun way.

e:

After The War posted:

Everyone should listen to Gallifrey.

Agreed, I'm two "seasons" in and it has lots of great moments.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

The Two Doctors is really really weird. Like there's that part at the beginning where Six has to go to sleep and you wonder how Two and Jaime are even there looking older and people come up with season 6B. Then there's that bizarre cannibal chef bro who ends up palling around with Two.

"YOU CANNOT ESCAPE SHOCKEYE O' THE QUANCING GRIG!"

Originally, the Androgums cultural obsession was going to be jazz music, and the serial was going to be set in New Orleans rather than Seville. The idea that they would be a species obsessed with cooking and food was supposedly influenced by Holmes's own vegetarianism.

The extra features for the DVD include "A Fix With Sontarans", which probably won't be included on any putative special edition re-release.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Krotons is proving difficult to write up. It's hard to know where to begin :negative:

Great jumping gobstoppers!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
While I hate the circumstances, once again I :allears: Colin Baker.

quote:

In the "Built for War" DVD Extra found in The Sontaran Experiment, Colin Baker said, "Jimmy Savile is much more frightening than the Sontarans."

Edit - Quote is not edit. I apologize for causing some sort of...duplicate...perplexion.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CobiWann posted:

While I hate the circumstances, once again I :allears: Colin Baker.

Edit - Quote is not edit. I apologize for causing some sort of...duplicate...perplexion.

Well that's a hell of a lot darker in hindsight. :gonk:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I sure am tired of all these Whos

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I've had it with these doctors who

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I’ve had it with these motherloving Bakers in this motherloving TARDIS.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict: no.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Continuing some of the Six chat from the end of the last thread I just finished watching my second Six TV story (I've heard quite a few audios, though). The first was Revelation of the Daleks which straddled the line between great and terrible. This time it was The Mysterious Planet, and I really enjoyed it. I like Six, I liked the classic Holmes writing (the bit about the books, yes, great), and even Sabalom Glitz and the other guy.

I hope all of the Trial of the Time Lord box set is like this. (It won't be like this).

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
To paraphrase Blackadder, I think Trial of a Timelord starts badly, tails off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better. I also think the next serial (Mindwarp) is probably the best of the season, but everybody else seems to hate it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Trial of a Time Lord consists of four stories. Of these four, fandom consensus holds that one is genuinely great, one is a misunderstood classic, one is interesting but poorly-executed, and one is absolute garbage.

Any sixteen Doctor Who fans will have sixteen different opinions about which stories are which.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 5, 2014

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I do think I would have preferred The Mysterious Planet without the Trial cutaways, though.

There's something to be said about the intriguing nature of the story arc. But I'm not sure that's a positive something.

e: With that said I though the bit where Glitz is mysteriously bleeped out was genuinely interesting.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Not quite finished my retrospective on The Krotons so in its stead have a section that I think sums it up pretty well:

http://youtu.be/-oB2KZsaAtM?t=20m12s

(20m12s in)

One of them is getting really flustered that the Doctor and his companions are not Gonds, and when a Gond finally appears on the scanner he sounds so proud that he recognises it. "THAT'S a Gond, motherfucker. I know my loving Gonds when I see them."

Followed of course with a joke about Jamie being thick.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 5, 2014

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

PoshAlligator posted:

Continuing some of the Six chat from the end of the last thread I just finished watching my second Six TV story (I've heard quite a few audios, though). The first was Revelation of the Daleks which straddled the line between great and terrible. This time it was The Mysterious Planet, and I really enjoyed it. I like Six, I liked the classic Holmes writing (the bit about the books, yes, great), and even Sabalom Glitz and the other guy.

I hope all of the Trial of the Time Lord box set is like this. (It won't be like this).

Huh. Going from the audios to the TV episodes for Six must be interesting, since I think that Big Finish had a much better idea of how to use him than the TV writers did. (In fairness, Big Finish had the advantage of having seen what didn't work on TV.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

Don't know how far you've gotten in your Davison run, but Nyssa's the only companion that could have worked in darker stories like Spare Parts and Creatures of Beauty, which tie very directly into her sole-survivor, PTSD guilt.

I've listened to Spare Parts and really enjoyed it, but while Nyssa is perfectly fine in it, once again I don't think her character really brings anything all that unique or relevant to the story being told. She doesn't detract from the story in any way, but she also really doesn't add anything to it, she's just kind of... there.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

CaptainCaveman posted:

Huh. Going from the audios to the TV episodes for Six must be interesting, since I think that Big Finish had a much better idea of how to use him than the TV writers did. (In fairness, Big Finish had the advantage of having seen what didn't work on TV.)

I think coming from audios makes his TV serials more enjoyable.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I thought the Crimson Horror was pretty cringeworthy, and that Cold War was the Gatiss one that was quite good, but I think I'm biased against Vastra and co. now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Apparently Anthony Horowitz is the rumoured new show runner.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Which Horowitz himself has already denied.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I think that's just who Philip Morris is (rumored to) want in Moffat's place.

Rumors also abound that Morris is refusing to return further missing episodes unless some vague demands about the future of the show are met.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I remember the rumor way back when the omnirumor was first gaining steam was that Morris initially refused to hand anything over until Moffat was fired. My reaction was always that that sounds like bullshit, but then he made a big Facebook post recently arguing that Moffat needs to go. It's not definitive by any means, but it certainly lends some credence to the rumor.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Philip Morris infuriates me, not just because of his exceedingly unprofessional behavior, nor because of his incredibly garbled tweets and status updates, nor even because I believe he might actually be hoarding episodes.

No, Morris infuriates me mainly because he keeps making me agree with Ian Levine, which is not a position I enjoy being in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I choose not to believe that because I don't want to believe that anybody that petty and small-minded and pathetic could possibly exist on this planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

I would be pretty interested to see a Doctor Who episode written by Horowitz. I read a lot of his books when I was younger (my favourite was The Falcon's Malteser) but I don't think I've ever watched any of the TV series he's worked on.

• Locked thread