Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Jerusalem posted:

If we never get any more of an "answer" to that question beyond the Doctor's musing about his subconscious trying to tell him something I'll be absolutely satisfied. It's a question that doesn't really need to be asked or answered.

I really hope the Doctor's explanation amounts to "sometimes I just like a specific face" and it's not some huge mystery.

Or if it is sufficiently sci-fi, it's really just a throwaway line about temporal duplicity or what have you.

Also, the arrow seemed a bit...silly. I would've liked a throwaway line about how the Doctor can attach the homing bit to it, but he can't shoot NEARLY accurately enough and they need to get it at least close enough. That would've made it a lot less dumb.

But, overall, I enjoyed the episode. It was great seeing Twelve and Robin go at it. And hearing the Doctor get called out on using the sonic to fix everything :allears:.

And Twelve stealthily flipping Robin Hood off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Autonomous Monster posted:

The "First Nottingham, then Derby, then Lincoln, then..." "...Worksop?" "THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD!!!" scene was solid gold, though.

That poo poo was magical.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
The individual scenes were extremely campy and fun, but was it just me or was there absolutely no flow to the episode? It felt very much like things were just jumping from setpiece to setpiece.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I didn't really get that sense other than in the peasants revolt scene, which felt very rushed - mostly because the episode hadn't seemed all that concerned with what was going on with them until it suddenly became an integral part of the story towards the end.

Other than that, I thought it flowed well - from meeting Robin and his Merry Men to attending the contest together to the squabbling in the dungeon, then having the simultaneous scenes of Clara conning the Sheriff while the Doctor and Robin discovered the control room before Robin and Clara escape. After that the revolt felt like it kind of came out of nowhere before things got back on track with Robin coming to the Doctor's rescue and fighting the Sheriff, and then the teamwork to delay the spaceship's destruction.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The karate chop was the best.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
I guess it just bothered me that it seemed a lot of tell not show. The whole bit with the Doctor and Robin in shackles, they go from showing a scene fumbling keys to them walking out of the room connected to a big stone to completely free of the shackles. Then everyone has plates with the show literally just showing us that the laser can be reflected so why does everyone have plates already?

Riven posted:

The karate chop was the best.

I agree. Venusian Aikido saves the day again.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

You mean it's my turn to be the negative nancy this week? Awesome!

It just didn't work for me. I think because Robin was too perfectly Robin Hood. I kept expecting the big reveal, that the radiation made him think he was Robin, that he was a robot, something. But it never happened and the episode just didn't gel for me. Also, Robin and the Doctor's escape felt like BBCA skipped over some stuff.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Master-Post incoming. Forgive my nerd-stuff.

DoctorWhat posted:

Ainley didn't have poo poo on Delgado, sadly. He came close in Survival but it was always a pale imitation.

JNT just wanted the Master to be WAY over the top. I seem to remember hearing or reading Ainley wanted a much lower-key performance, and most of the time JNT said no, he has to be hugely over-played. Until "Survival."

Jerusalem posted:

What Ainley had going for him was that he LOVED being the Master. He had it made financially already so pretty much his only interests were playing cricket or being the Master, and every so often he'd call up JNT just to say,"Hey got any stories with the Master coming up? I'm down!"

Also his personal home answering phone message was in character :allears:

If I had enough money and was cast as the Master, I would do the same exact thing. Aside from Cricket. I don't care about Cricket.

DoctorWhat posted:

Except he apparently refused to come back to Big Finish unless they paid him an exorbitant amount. :smith:

Which led us to having Beevers as the Big Finish Master, which is not a bad thing. At all.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
After two serious episodes, this was just a FUN story. A bit of "show don't tell," some stuff was rushed, but this was one of those productions where the viewer can tell that everyone just had a flat out BALL making it. My fiancee and I enjoyed it for the banter and chemistry between the Doctor and Robin Hood, and the kiddo and her stepsister enjoyed it for the sword fighting and archery.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

howe_sam posted:

You mean it's my turn to be the negative nancy this week? Awesome!

It just didn't work for me. I think because Robin was too perfectly Robin Hood. I kept expecting the big reveal, that the radiation made him think he was Robin, that he was a robot, something. But it never happened and the episode just didn't gel for me. Also, Robin and the Doctor's escape felt like BBCA skipped over some stuff.

I did like how the Doctor is so adamant that Robin Hood can't possibly be real and must be an android, but no, he's the real deal. Like the rest of the episode, it works better as a joke than a serious plot.

Also, it did feel as though some scenes were cut, to the episode's detriment. The escape and Robo-Sheriff most notably.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
Aparently robo-sheriff was cut due to ISIS beheading the journalists. Kind of a dumb reason, but I can mostly see the logic.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Fantastic episode, not perfect but Perfect. I'm loving the new season.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well that was an awesome episode. I don't know what bizarro alternate world version the people who watched the workprint saw and hated, but I thought it was fantastic. One of the most genuinely funny episodes I've seen, with some great serious moments as well, like the ending conversation with Robin and The Doctor. Robin was so hilariously Action Hero he reminded me of Jack Laser in the 6th Doctor audio The Fourth Wall. Capaldi really shone here as well. I am digging his take on the character.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Oh, yeah, LOVED the Troughton cameo.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Partway through Mindwarp and I've gotta say all of the Six serials I've seen have a really strong lingering sense of grossness about them that I don't get from ones with the others in.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't say I cared utterly for the episode but whatever.

I have a question.

Why do *SO MANY* different robots care so much about Paradise?

We have both the Clockworks from the future and these bucket heads from the past.

Why?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Watched the episode at a friend's house and I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I can watch Peter Capaldi being grumpy all day long apparently.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Which led us to having Beevers as the Big Finish Master, which is not a bad thing. At all.

Beevers and MacQueen.

MacQueen is my favorite.

Hello, you.

:allears:

Astroman posted:

Robin was so hilariously Action Hero he reminded me of Jack Laser in the 6th Doctor audio The Fourth Wall. Capaldi really shone here as well. I am digging his take on the character.

poo poo I knew there was something familiar...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This was completely bonkers in the best possible way. Probably falls apart if you look at it too closely, but I kind of don't care.

I guess the implication was that, since the robots (presumably) set everything else up to mirror the Robin Hood story as a cover for their activities, someone like Robin Hood happening was almost inevitable. Could have done with a little more support from the story -- as it was, the impossibility/reality of Robin Hood was kind of a Chekhov's Bow that never went off -- but what the hell, it was fun, and the Doctor's increasing frustration as the story went on only made it more so.

I think my favorite thing was Clara admonishing the Sheriff that he was about to change the course of history, and his response of "I SURE HOPE SO".

Interesting repeated motif of robots not just mindlessly seeking "The Promised Land" but having to bootstrap themselves through human history to do so.

It looks like this is the year of none-too-subtle parallels between the Doctor and another prominent figure in the story. (Questions of identity after so many centuries of transformations with Clockwork Dude, Doctor as Good Dalek in Rusty's eye, and now a person trapped within the shadow of his own larger-than-life legend). Can't say I'm complaining about that, either, especially since it plays into the general idea of the Doctor trying to figure out who he is* and not necessarily liking the answers he's getting.

___
*Dear Mr. Moffat, this would have been a much better way to work an obvious "Doctor Who?" motif into the storyline than the Time Lords shouting it at him from another dimension or whatever. Just a man, a mirror, and a whisper. If you had to do it at all, I mean.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

docbeard posted:

I guess the implication was that, since the robots (presumably) set everything else up to mirror the Robin Hood story as a cover for their activities, someone like Robin Hood happening was almost inevitable. Could have done with a little more support from the story -- as it was, the impossibility/reality of Robin Hood was kind of a Chekhov's Bow that never went off -- but what the hell, it was fun, and the Doctor's increasing frustration as the story went on only made it more so.

I dunno I think the implication is that Robin Hood just actually existed, dude.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
One of NuHu's best episodes thanks to Capaldi. It feels like the first Moffat era comedy episode that didn't take itself too seriously for its own good.

SNAKES N CAKES fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 7, 2014

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Burkion posted:

We have both the Clockworks from the future and these bucket heads from the past.

Why?

Because it appears to be part of this season's arc and we'll hopefully find out by the finale. It's not something that was explained previously if that's what you were hoping for. Maybe the Doctor dropped a Bruce Springsteen CD at some point in the past when he also accidentally gave somebody the idea to build robots.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I dunno why, but that felt like a lost David Tennant episode with Capaldi swapped in. I liked it more than I was anticipating, loving the Sherrif and the robots that looked remarkably old series one they revealed their faces. I could have done without the Spoon bit, but Capaldi did his best to sell it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So I'm watching the Day of the Daleks episode 2 and the Doctor just killed someone with a ray gun. When exactly did his "no guns" thing come about?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

So I'm watching the Day of the Daleks episode 2 and the Doctor just killed someone with a ray gun. When exactly did his "no guns" thing come about?

Revival.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Yay, an episode i liked that didnt turn out to be "The new worst ever" in the SA thread :)

The last time this happened, Freema Agyeman was the assistant.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah it had good banter based on the Doctor being wrong about something for once. It was fun!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I thought it was good fun. It probably won't be an episode I vividly remember in 2-3 seasons, but it was fun. My only complaint is that I thought the arguing between Robin Hood and The Doctor in prison went on a little too long.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I dunno why, but that felt like a lost David Tennant episode with Capaldi swapped in.

I think if it had been Tennant he would have spent the first few minutes going,"What? What? WHAT!?!" and,"But that's impossible!" and immediately changed to,"Well that's impossible... and that's BRILLIANT! :haw:"

Capaldi just refusing to accept anything he was seeing or even pretending to play along was great, especially when it got to him explaining what he thought was the Sheriff's plan to him and the Sheriff replying,"But that would be stupid...?"

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Burkion posted:

I have a question.

Why?

Because Moffat.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
So as it turns out, the part that was removed actually contained a plot point that makes a line said after it make more sense.

Specifically, that the Sheriff actually is at least part robot, which makes his otherwise non sequitur declaration that he's "half man, half engine" make a lot more sense. It makes it a bit more explicit that the only real thing in the whole situation was actually Robin Hood and his guys. It doesn't completely solve how wibbly wobbly the entire plot is, but at least that's one hole that only resulted due to outside influence.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SimplyCosmic posted:

I, for one, am still shocked that they managed to not only to convince Anthony Ainley to come back from the dead to play the Sheriff

The first time the Sheriff appeared, I exclaimed, 'Holy gently caress, that's Anthony Ainley.' at the same time Mr Boods went, 'Holy gently caress, that's Ben Miller!'

Ben, you know what you must do.

And, yes, Robin made me miss Rik Mayall :(

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I dunno why, but that felt like a lost David Tennant episode with Capaldi swapped in. I liked it more than I was anticipating, loving the Sherrif and the robots that looked remarkably old series one they revealed their faces. I could have done without the Spoon bit, but Capaldi did his best to sell it.

I'm 100% certain he was flipping off the fact that he had to act out a scene where he fights Robin Hood with a spoon.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

I'm 100% certain he was flipping off the fact that he had to act out a scene where he fights Robin Hood with a spoon.

When the scripts were leaked, this was the scene that pretty much everyone pointed to in order to demonstrate just how terrible this season was going to be. Like most of the scenes everyone was worried about, it was no where near as bad as it sounded and that is mainly due to Capaldi selling it. It was still a goofy scene, but at least it wasn't embarrassing to watch like it was to read.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I can see a lot of his lines reading extremely similarly to Eleven, only to come across completely differently in his new delivery.

Except for the bantering references here. That really felt like Eleven poking through a bit, no matter how hard Capaldi tried to sell it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Was this filmed in the same forest they used for Day of the Doctor? Sure looked like it.

Loved the hell out of this episode. It was totally dumb in the best way.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

When the scripts were leaked, this was the scene that pretty much everyone pointed to in order to demonstrate just how terrible this season was going to be. Like most of the scenes everyone was worried about, it was no where near as bad as it sounded and that is mainly due to Capaldi selling it. It was still a goofy scene, but at least it wasn't embarrassing to watch like it was to read.

Yeah, If it was Tennant or smith, the spoon fight would have been "oooh, look a spoon! ho ho ho, aren't i wacky! Look at me fight you with a spoon, hA hAA!", but with Capaldi it was "i'm going to loving beat you with just this spoon you green tit".

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 7, 2014

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I was just bored by this episode. I'm glad Clara is getting a personality but the rest was yawn-worthy. That arrow sequence was so stupid.

At least it wasn't super long and terrible like Deep Breath however.

Into the Dalek was quite decent, here's hoping the next episode is interesting again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mo0 posted:

but at least that's one hole

It's not really a hole since the line that was left in explained what the Sheriff had allowed himself to be turned into (basically a reverse Half-Face Man). It's just that without the scene, the line seems hurried and does a poor job of letting such important information be conveyed to the audience.

Not a plothole so much as poor storytelling, due to editing out the pertinent prior scene.

Edit: I think this scene might be The Rings of Akhaten of this season for me. A less than exciting trailer that left me thinking I was going to get something unremarkable or even slightly embarrassing, and ending up just being completely carried away by the atmosphere of the story.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Kin posted:

Yeah, If it was Tennant or smith, the spoon fight would have been "oooh, look a spoon! ho ho ho, aren't i wacky lock at me fight you with a spoon, hA hAA!", but with Capaldi it was "i'm going to loving beat you with just this spoon you green tit".

He is rather playing it as Third Doctor (action) + First/Sixth Doctor (grumpiness) + a touch of Malcolm Tucker. I'm amenable!

• Locked thread