Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What is 12 working out on those chalk boards at the start of the episode? I read it mentioned that he's still formulating the way to save Gallifrey in the pocket dimension but didn't he work it out by the time of his 11th incarnation? I guess the whole actual saving of Gallifrey still kind of confuses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

marktheando posted:

It's saved, but he still needs to find a way to find it, and pull it back into this universe.

Ah that makes sense then. I suppose he can't just leave it floating around in there without bringing it back.

Regarding this episode, I can only echo whats been mentioned by claiming I wasn't expecting much from it this week and it pulled through really well. That archery contest was the highlight for me.

I was also fond of the call backs to the 3rd Doctor with the fencing and the Venusian Aikido chop to disarm Robin Hood in order to be captured.

Edit: and oh god how could I forget the "I think you'll find I have a certain GENETIC ADVANTAGE" line during the Who Can Die Slower argument. "It definitely would be me though, wouldn't it?" :smugbert:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 7, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This happens with the audience after every regeneration, right? The audience goes through this really crazy shift because the main character goes through it as well. Doctor Who never seemed like a show that doesn't mind losing a portion of its audience due to a new actor taking over the protagonist because it has always gained new ones as well as maintaining their core fans.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 7, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Actually no I cannot. He just does not work for me, isn't that enough?

Try not to get too annoyed if people who do enjoy Capaldi want to understand your point of view more, if just for the sake of discussion.

For me it's appealing because he DOESN'T feel 100% like any of his recent incarnations. I don't get the feeling that he's really THE DOCTOR we've grown to understand and know. We're learning about a NEW Doctor. There's sparks of past selves in there, but it's clear this is a very different man, thrust into the role that's been carved out by his previous selves and is a bit annoyed and very cross about it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm suddenly reminded, during my first viewing of Robots of Sherwood a friend popped by since he was in the neighborhood. From what I understand he's a casual fan of Doctor Who but at least enough of one to weigh in with both positive and negative opinions on the show

My first comment to him was how much I dig the new Doctor.

His reply? "Well, yeah! I love Capaldi! He's leaps and bounds better than that goofy as poo poo Shriner, Matt Smith!"

Not wanting to get into it with him since I liked the 11th Doctor a lot, I just let him have his say and carried on with another topic.

But it just blows me away that someone that likes this show could have such vitriol towards one of the best incarnations of the Doctor, both the character itself AND the actor rubbed him the wrong way. I guess my point is, you can still enjoy the show even if you don't like The Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Worry not goons. Once Capaldi gets a catch phrase, a good speech or two and a defining moment of epic selfless heroism you'll all be ready to join us as Capaldi converts!

• Locked thread