Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Then again, Moffat's an Emmy winner and may now have opportunities that he didn't have when he made those comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Doctor Who is back, and with the best writing since 2005!

This episode tackles the idea of regeneration perfectly. "The Christmas Invasion" gave us nothing more than some whining and a sudden heroic ending, while "The End of Time" set us up with the idea that the Doctor was dying, then "The Eleventh Hour" seemed to act like a complete reboot, making the transition from Tenth Doctor to Eleventh Doctor very difficult for many people. "Deep Breath", however, guided us through the eyes of companion Clara Oswald into the new era of the series.
Clara Oswald feels most comfortable when she is in control of her immediate situation, however with the Doctor having changed drastically and with Clara far from home, she has lost all control over the situation and has lost sight of who the Doctor is. As the narrative tries to teach Clara that the crazy grey-haired man she finds herself with is, in fact, the same baby-faced floppy-haired daddy-longlegs she met in 'The Bells of St. John', the audience, too, is reassured of the Doctor's identity. The plot itself widens out to deal with a series of mysterious murders in the heart of Victorian London, and the return of the "Paternoster Gang".
Returning characters Jenny and Madame Vastra, an inter-racial wife-and-wife couple who share Doctor Who's first ever female-female kiss in this episode, and their alien butler Strax find themselves being written better than ever before. In fact, Clara too seems to bloom better and brighter than ever before in this episode. Even Strax, mostly a comic-relief character, comes across as a much more believable character. Writer Steven Moffat seems to have greatly improved on his past faults and found his feet when it comes to writing these characters, whose foundations were initially laid in the previous series.
The episode was quite funny. While humour is not the main focus of Doctor Who, I personally feel that comedy is important when writing a show about a 2000-year-old space alien bumming around the universe in a flying police telephone box, because if you take that premise too seriously, you set yourself up for ridicule. Comedy is also a very welcome form of entertainment in these somewhat difficult, cynical times. For the long-time viewer and all-around nerd, there were plenty of references to the past. These felt natural enough, and lent some continuity and familiarity to the episode.
This episode, while the first episode of the new series, relies on the viewer to already have some familiarity with Doctor Who and I would not recommend it as a starting point for new viewers.

Five Stars.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Nice one, Mark!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Clara's dress :swoon:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Lampsacus posted:

We should start a subreddit to organize our ideas.

Do you guys want to start a limited liability corporation for your radio show summary project? If you create a little pitch video, I can take it to some powerful investors in the media recapping industry. I'm not saying its a sure thing, but I think I can get Drovethrughosts on board. He's always expressed an interest in Doctor Who and it'd be a real coup to get an actual wikipedia editor backing this project.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Did Moffat ever explain why he changed the whole Sheriff being a robot thing?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mo0 posted:

What, you mean why that one scene got taken out? My understanding was that it was current events caused them to take it out in the spirit of good taste.

Ooooooh, yeah, I forgot the ISIS thing is apparently a big deal right now. I thought maybe it had something to do with the Missy metaplot.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rita Repulsa posted:

is anything else in Torchwood good or just that

There is a giant vagina underground that makes you immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Tennant and.. who?

• Locked thread