Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So I guess the terrorists have won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

He is not the Doctor. I don't relate to him as the Doctor. He doesn't act like the Doctor. He is not the Doctor. There is nothing Doctorish about him in any sense shape or form.
This distresses me considerabley because I have loved all the Doctors since NuWho

Out of the 12 Doctors, how many have you watched?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Why does that matter? He's not going to go and watch the first 40 years to appreciate Capaldi and he shouldn't have to.

Just in terms of the "He is not the Doctor. He does not act like the Doctor."

Because a lot of the classic Doctors are not at all like any of the newer Doctors.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

When has the Doctor ever been able to hit his target the vast majority of the time, though? Like, One had issues because he was still fairly young, but by Eleven and Amy you'd think he'd finally know how it works. Even if you take the TARDIS interrupting his various journeys so he can help people, he still has a tendency to miss by a few weeks/months, because what are a few weeks/months when you've lived thousands of years?

It also doesn't help that the TARDIS is supposed to have six pilots instead of just one.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Im so sorry Whovians but you do have to admit that Capaldi is a bit poo poo.

Uhhh, no, no we don't. I personally love him and already know that he's going to be among my favourite Doctors.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm not going to try argue you into liking him, because that would be stupid, but I highly doubt your family's opinions of Capaldi's performance are representative of all fans. Just look at this thread. Even the people who haven't liked the episodes have mostly been positive about Capaldi. I'm not sure this thread is really a representative sample either, but it's probably better than one guy's family.

All of my friends that watch Who actually love Capaldi, so clearly love for Capaldi is unanimous across all fans.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 7, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jurgan posted:

they certainly shouldn't have been The Doctor's Greatest Fear.

While I agree with this only because I think it worked a lot better when left up to the imagination... what would actually be worse to the Doctor than his TARDIS blowing up and destroying all of spacetime?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jurgan posted:

The War Doctor. The entire arc of series 7 was about him running from his past, so what could be scarier than coming face to face with it?

Destroying the whole universe before you even get a chance to reconcile with your past! :colbert:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

He assumed I didn't know what confirmation bias was, and mansplained it to me, which is condescending.

:what: He literally just said what the term is, and since you described the phenomenon clumsily instead of saying "confirmation bias", it wasn't an unreasonable assumption to think you didn't know the term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Crazy Man posted:

Is that a good place to start with the audios? I tried Storm Warning once, and I just couldn't get into it...

I find Storm Warning fairly boring. I think a lot of people mostly recommend it just for the context it provides for 8/Charley.

I'd say a better starting point would be Jubilee, Chimes of Midnight, or Spare Parts, just to see what the format is capable of.

(I can't speak to Gallifrey being a good starting point or not, though.)

• Locked thread