Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just want to say that I'm in America watching this on BBCA. I'll check back in and read the past few pages when this is over...but oh my God, I have just seen Peter Capaldi the curmudgeonly old uncle bickering with a stereotypical OTT movie Robin Hood parody. He has referenced mini-scopes, the Sheriff of Nottingham is a clone of Roger Delgado, and the Doctor just did an akido chop and shouted "HAAAAAII!" and also had a swordfight with a spoon.

Peter Capaldi is basically cosplaying the 3rd Doctor at this point, and it's glorious. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well that was an awesome episode. I don't know what bizarro alternate world version the people who watched the workprint saw and hated, but I thought it was fantastic. One of the most genuinely funny episodes I've seen, with some great serious moments as well, like the ending conversation with Robin and The Doctor. Robin was so hilariously Action Hero he reminded me of Jack Laser in the 6th Doctor audio The Fourth Wall. Capaldi really shone here as well. I am digging his take on the character.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BSam posted:

This bit in particular. It's not until reading the threads on this forum that you realise that those who love the show enough to want to know as much as possible about it and watch unfinished episode workprints and read the scripts before the episode even airs are also the ones who are the first to claim it's not good at all.

It's like raaayaain...

Since time has now passed and most of the leaked scripts were aired I read a few pages of the spoiler thread past where I'd stopped after having watched the first 3, to see what the reaction was a month ago. It really seems like just reading the dry scripts does not do justice to seeing it acted and directed onscreen. Coleman is really shining, Capaldi is selling Uncle Grumpy perfectly, and the guy who played Robin Hood hit the exact notes of Perfect Screen Robin Hood with charm and self aware humor--that wink in the beginning sold me immediately. You have no way of knowing any of that from reading a script. So I'd take the script readers' opinions with a big grain of salt.

CobiWann posted:

I could see Tennant playing the Doctor in this story...but I could also seen Troughton, Pertwee, the two Bakers, and McCoy doing so as well.

I could certainly see them in this one, and Smith as well, but none of them would have had the perfect reactions Capaldi did. I can see 10 or 11 having suspicions that the Merry Men were fake, but going along with it more due to "fun" than 12's reaction of ranting about theme parks, mini-scopes, taking hair samples and rolling his eyes grumpily--all of which owned.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still don't know what to make of Capaldi.
Fan with a Pertwee av if there had been message boards in 1987: "I still don't know what to make of McCoy." :v:

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I feel like this episode really would have faltered just going off the page or the workprint. It probably reads like a far-too-silly children's show script, and some of the lynchpin scenes just wouldn't have worked at all without the performances, cinematography and effects. The archery contest and subsequent scene in the prison cell are the specific ones that I just can't see working with anything less than all of the puzzle pieces.

I also bet that if people who hadn't seen the episodes had just read scripts of any number of 10 or 11 stories, even ones that are considered beloved today by the majority, they'd have been bashing them to high heaven.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

A good actor working with material so far beneath him as to be embarrassing for everyone involved. Making him play the gaol scene in the last episode was like having Mozart score a Go Compare ad.

The only way this metaphor works is if it turns out Mozart is a massive advertising geek and was always dying to work on commercials since he was a boy and wanted to be Don Draper.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 7, 2014

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

thexerox123 posted:

While I agree with this only because I think it worked a lot better when left up to the imagination... what would actually be worse to the Doctor than his TARDIS blowing up and destroying all of spacetime?

Jurgan posted:

The War Doctor. The entire arc of series 7 was about him running from his past, so what could be scarier than coming face to face with it?

Specifically...

Related to that I finally picked up the War Doctor novel today. So far it's pretty good. I especially like the "Skaro Degradations" which it turns out are weirdly mutated Kaleds from alternate time lines where the Time Lords tried to stop the Daleks from being created. Since I'm a sucker for that sort of thing, I was pretty excited.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

My god, I had no clue. Try not to imagine their sex life.

I'm betting it involves Looms.

DoctorWhat posted:

Brattleborough Cucumberquest actually shows up in a Big Finish audio from 2008!

Also worth a listen in that audio is his interview, where he recounts the story of the time he met David Tennant. :allears:

Rochallor posted:

It was mentioned last time this video was brought up, but the "Chris" complaining about Bonnie Langford is no less than Chris Chibnail.

Doctor Who: the only show where the nerdiest of fans can say "I'll show them, one day I'll take their place and do it better!" and it actually happens! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Nefud (Why Cookie Rocket now I think) generally had very interesting things to say though and it's a shame he doesn't post in these threads anymore.

Agreed. :colbert:

Jerusalem posted:

These any good?

Whatever is used, the caption below needs to be "HAAAAAAIIIII!"

• Locked thread