Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I am reading a New Adventures novel. Ace just said "Cybershit". Oh dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Forgive me if im wrong here, but I thought All Creatures Great and Small was years after he was the Doctor.

Looks like he started on All creatures in 1978. I think JNT worked on that show first as well, and that's why he wanted to hire Davison as the doctor. I may be making this up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Could everyone please get Doctor avatars so I can pretend this derail about condescension (or lack thereof) is part of a multi doctor episode? Thanks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Republican Vampire posted:

Continuing a discussion from the Oxxipation thread:

Up here in the Great White North we have the occasional play, but comedy sketch is a lot more popular of a format. Same for folksy-guy-reads-stories ala Vinyl Cafe or, in the US, The Prairie Home Companion. PRX said, at one point, they were going to try to expand radio drama. I don't think anything came of it.

Also IIRC, This American Life was originally pitched as a radio play program, but that got whittled down by the time it actually made it to air. They still run fiction, from time to time, but mostly it's stuff they're re-running from other shows. The UK probably has a much stronger tradition of radio because it's got a much weaker film industry and a less regular television industry. Hence Bendytoots continuing to slum it on a sitcom about lovely pilots.

It's probably also got something to do with the BBC's charter requiring a certain amount of that other content. And there's enough of an archive of it sitting about that a 24/7 archive station in the form of 4Extra can happily exist as well.

CobiWann posted:

For the most part, Big Finish grows during this time period. Of the first fifty, the only ones that I think are absolutely, by all costs, for the love of all that is holy avoids, are Nekromanteia and The Rapture. All the others are worth at least one listen if you want to forgo a pint of bitter and download them.

In fairness The Rapture is notable for how hilariously bad it manages to get, in particular the 40 year old Aldred trying to play a still teenaged Ace clubbing in Ibiza.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 10, 2014

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

It’s a bit out of date, but the Doctor Who Reference Guide (Google it, don’t have the URL handy) has the audios, TV show, and most of the novels in order…

And I agree that it’s a shame there’s only a handful of stories where it’s just Five and Turlough. Turlough is a great example of how to do a “humans aren’t THAT special” companion without coming off like a total dickwad. No one does condescension and reluctant heroism better than Mark Strickson.

(same how there are too drat few Big Finish audios with Mel, words I never thought I’d be typing.)

At least they're correcting that a bit. In one of the commentaries (I think for The Wrong Doctors?) they establish that Nick Briggs thought Bonnie Langford didn't want to do them any more and that Langford though that Big Finish had been snubbing her and DID want to do more, so they've sorted that out now. That little run with Six (Wrong Doctors through to Seeds of War) is pretty good fun.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

One Swell Foop posted:

I love Situations Vacant. It moves along at a merry clip, there a number of nice twists, and it's got Harry Biscuit from Bleak Expectations.

Bachman really is playing his part as Harry in that one. It's an enjoyably silly story.

FreezingInferno posted:

So, speaking of Big Finish, I listened to The Wrong Doctors over the past few days. I liked it, because I am a pedantic anorak who goes gaga for the "could have been" of the televised Colin Baker era.

Have you given the lost stories a go? I quite liked a lot of them (although the one with the celestial toymaker is forgettably bland). Alex McQueen even turns up in one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The Celestial Toymaker shows up in a few Big Finish stories, right? I like that character more than I probably should, given the racist Fu Manchu look he had in the actual show.

Yes, he does. One lost story (The Nightmare Fair) and one 7th doctor story. If you're listening to all the 7th doctor audios anyway, then you'll get to him eventually, but if not it's audio 120, The Magic Mousetrap

• Locked thread