Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Avocados posted:

What are the chances of the iPhone 6 having a better battery life than the 5? My 5c has unbelievably good battery life compared to my Galaxy S3. While I like that Apple is going in the direction of Android sized phones, I hope battery life doesn't go the same way.
Apple has been pretty good about at least keeping battery life the same from year to year, but it's hard to say since the screen tends to be the biggest user of battery, and with a bigger, higher resolution screen, it might be a pretty big increase in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

If it's multi user, the absolute minimum it could ship with is 32gb. Splitting 12 between users would be cruel
Depends on the use. If it's just for separate email, web, and office type stuff it's not that big of a deal. (Until social apps bloat up like crazy with all their image caches)

101 posted:

More than likely the more prominent looking bands on the back. They look a little tacky now there's no glass there.
I remember the back of the 5 looking tacky compared to the 4 :v:

I'm interested in how it feels in hand with the curved edges, which appear to extend through to the front glass. Always bugged me a little that the front wasn't flush on the 5.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

101 posted:

More than likely the more prominent looking bands on the back. They look a little tacky now there's no glass there.

Yeah it's the ones on the back. They make the phone look cheap imo. Honestly, I really hope that's a fake.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 7, 2014

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Endless Mike posted:

Apple has been pretty good about at least keeping battery life the same from year to year, but it's hard to say since the screen tends to be the biggest user of battery, and with a bigger, higher resolution screen, it might be a pretty big increase in use.

A bigger screen gives them room shove a bigger battery inside, and the bigger battery tends to win out over the larger screen. That's why the 13-inch Air lasts longer than the 11-inch and the RAZR MAXX EPIC III 4G LTE XL S with Beats by Dr. Dre gets undeservedly good battery life.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not with Beats any more now that Apple acquired them.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Even more leaks being posted on reddit now.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

fleshweasel posted:

It's not with Beats any more now that Apple acquired them.

Whatever, Beatz by Jeezy or something.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Beats By Jobs

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Kill Yourself by KMFDM

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Very rounded and bubbly considering they've spent the past couple years making the OS it runs as flat as possible. Also agree the back is ugly. And if it's true the camera protrudes from the back... Well, this might be the first one I don't bother to upgrade to unless they surprise us with something very compelling. I really hope it's a brilliant scheme by Apple to fake a bunch of misleading leaks. (Ok, so that's crazy.)

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I think the camera is like that for attaching external lenses. If it is, I don't mind it at all. I have a little lens set for my 5s and I absolutely love taking pictures with them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

There's nothing to the protruding lens other than it's protruding. It's a non-issue.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

the kawaiiest posted:

I think the camera is like that for attaching external lenses. If it is, I don't mind it at all. I have a little lens set for my 5s and I absolutely love taking pictures with them.

I doubt Apple would compromise the design of their most valued product in order to support third party vendors.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

A bigger screen gives them room shove a bigger battery inside, and the bigger battery tends to win out over the larger screen. That's why the 13-inch Air lasts longer than the 11-inch and the RAZR MAXX EPIC III 4G LTE XL S with Beats by Dr. Dre gets undeservedly good battery life.
Right, but the rumored battery for the 4.7" model isn't a whole lot bigger than what's in the 5s (16% bigger), and quite a bit smaller than what Android phones of similar size are packing. Granted, iOS tends to be a bit more power efficient than Android, but it's been a long time since we've seen an Android phone running a current, or even only slightly outdated version on a phone of similar size to the 5s.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Right, but the rumored battery for the 4.7" model isn't a whole lot bigger than what's in the 5s (16% bigger), and quite a bit smaller than what Android phones of similar size are packing. Granted, iOS tends to be a bit more power efficient than Android, but it's been a long time since we've seen an Android phone running a current, or even only slightly outdated version on a phone of similar size to the 5s.

Also a lot of Android phones are running 1080p/1440p displays, why the iPhone 6 will be running something far less intensive.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

awesome-express posted:

I doubt Apple would compromise the design of their most valued product in order to support third party vendors.

What makes you think they wouldn't be offering the lenses themselves as accessories? They've been thinking about this for a while now. It's not that unlikely that it's one of the reasons for the protruding camera. I mean, it may very well not be, but it's really not that crazy an idea.

It could just be that they couldn't make the camera thin enough to fit in the new iPhone, though. Who knows.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The camera in the leaks has no bayonet system.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ijyt posted:

The camera in the leaks has no bayonet system.

I was pointing out that they have been thinking about external lens for years. Just because they have that particular design patented doesn't mean that's the one they'd use. Or, like I said before, it could just be that the camera module was too thick to fit the iPhone, or it has some other purpose we haven't even considered, who knows?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

ijyt posted:

There's nothing to the protruding lens other than it's protruding.

What a loving useless statement.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Doesn't the current iPod touch have a protruding lens as well?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ijyt posted:

Also a lot of Android phones are running 1080p/1440p displays, why the iPhone 6 will be running something far less intensive.
The 2013 Moto G has a 4.5" 720p LCD screen and a battery 11% larger than what the rumors for the 4.7" iPhone suggest it will have. While the Moto G is pretty well regarded for its battery life, it's also not a high-end phone, so the A8 and iOS better be pretty damned well optimized for it to have reasonable battery life.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah it's the ones on the back. They make the phone look cheap imo. Honestly, I really hope that's a fake.
It's not. Everyone does this every single year and every single year it's the best selling iPhone ever.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Choadmaster posted:

What a loving useless statement.

OK smartass, how do you think Apple would mount a lens, remembering that they're a company that pride in minimalism.

the kawaiiest posted:

Or, like I said before, it could just be that the camera module was too thick to fit the iPhone.

This is all there is to it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't really give a poo poo how Apple would like to mount a lens, I want my phone to actually lay flat on the table when I put it down, and not rub on/get hung up on things (across tables or in and out of pockets). My phone is not a loving DSLR.

But if the must: Any attachable lenses are obviously going to be magnetic (there's no lock on the ring); if they think alignment isn't good enough utilizing magnets only (though that seems to work for other phones) they can put a slightly RECESSED ring in the surface and have the lens mount fit into that rather than vice versa.

Damaging the user experience for 100% of customers in order to add a feature that a small percentage of users will use a small percentage of the time is exactly the opposite of what I buy Apple products for.

Edit: I also like that I'm the smarts when you're the one telling me my opinion is stupid with the whopping strong argument that "It is what it is. It's a non-issue."

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 7, 2014

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
If the camera really does protrude, I imagine any case that 99% of these phones will be in will make it a non-issue.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Choadmaster posted:

I don't really give a poo poo how Apple would like to mount a lens, I want my phone to actually lay flat on the table when I put it down, and not rub on/get hung up on things (across tables or in and out of pockets). My phone is not a loving DSLR.

But if the must: Any attachable lenses are obviously going to be magnetic (there's no lock on the ring); if they think alignment isn't good enough utilizing magnets only (though that seems to work for other phones) they can put a slightly RECESSED ring in the surface and have the lens mount fit into that rather than vice versa.

Damaging the user experience for 100% of customers in order to add a feature that a small percentage of users will use a small percentage of the time is exactly the opposite of what I buy Apple products for.

Edit: I also like that I'm the smarts when you're the one telling me my opinion is stupid with the whopping strong argument that "It is what it is. It's a non-issue."
:suspense:

I love these threads.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Choadmaster posted:

I don't think that 100% of Apple's customers feel that a slightly protruding camera damages the user experience. I'm willing to bet that only a small percentage of them care one way or another.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's silly to call it the kind of thing Apple would never do when they already do it on iPod touch.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

fleshweasel posted:

It's silly to call it the kind of thing Apple would never do when they already do it on iPod touch.
I think this is my favorite part of everyone spearing about the "protruding" lens.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

fleshweasel posted:

Curse that iPod Touch, always getting things caught on its camera lens constantly! It's a never ending struggle I tell you. this has never ever happened :psyduck:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

I'll grant you that (but that's one of the reasons I don't like it either). Just because Apple does something stupid and un-Apple-like, doesn't mean they should repeat the mistake.

Dewgy posted:

Curse that iPod Touch, always getting things caught on its camera lens constantly! It's a never ending struggle I tell you. this has never ever happened :psyduck:

There are people who keep work/personal phones in the same pocket, and this is just begging for scratches now.

But what this boils down to is all I said was I don't like a protruding camera and I probably won't buy a phone with one - I never told anyone else not to get it and I don't give two shits if they do or not. "It's a non-issue" without even a reason is a really lovely way to try to change someone's opinion.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm trying and failing to comprehend it is all. You're basically making a no true Scotsman argument by calling it un-Apple, and people are pointing out that hey, this is perfectly within what they do normally.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
iPhones have always been absurdly fragile for devices that people keep in their pockets or their hands all day. I used to hate keeping it in a case and I don't even keep mine in a case right now, but you're always tempting fate when you do that. A case that renders the camera flush completely mitigates my aesthetic concerns.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Choadmaster posted:

There are people who keep work/personal phones in the same pocket, and this is just begging for scratches now.
This doesn't make any sense by the way. How would it be more prone to scratching if it protrudes? If you want it to lay literally completely flat on a surface that's fine I guess, albeit strangely obsessive.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

There is still no multi user profiles announced, right?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Don Tacorleone posted:

There is still no multi user profiles announced, right?
Correct.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

post your cargo shorts

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
my utilikilt has enough pockets to hold all my many phones separately :smug:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Endless Mike posted:

The 2013 Moto G has a 4.5" 720p LCD screen and a battery 11% larger than what the rumors for the 4.7" iPhone suggest it will have. While the Moto G is pretty well regarded for its battery life, it's also not a high-end phone, so the A8 and iOS better be pretty damned well optimized for it to have reasonable battery life.

Apple has always been better in this area than Android haven't they (aside from the big battery issue that they copped to)? I never really thought about my phone's battery until I switched to Android earlier this year, and it's one of the reasons I'm thinking of switching back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's not. Everyone does this every single year and every single year it's the best selling iPhone ever.
Ugly design element bitching comes up other year, it alternates with "people won't buy the iPhone [n]S because it looks the same."

And a protruding lens would technically lift the back and lens face off a surface (just edges resting) vs a flush back and lens :v:

the kawaiiest posted:

I was pointing out that they have been thinking about external lens for years. Just because they have that particular design patented doesn't mean that's the one they'd use. Or, like I said before, it could just be that the camera module was too thick to fit the iPhone, or it has some other purpose we haven't even considered, who knows?
They've been thinking about styluses for years too :negative:

• Locked thread