Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

There are people who keep work/personal phones in the same pocket, and this is just begging for scratches now.

Sapphire can be used in optics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Curse that easily scratchable sapphire lens :argh:

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

japtor posted:

Curse that easily scratchable sapphire lens :argh:

Unacceptable if you live and work in a sandpaper factory, like many of us do.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

And a protruding lens would technically lift the back and lens face off a surface (just edges resting) vs a flush back and lens :v:

The protruding lense will be accompanied by three other protrusions in the other corners so that the phone actually rests on short little legs when you set it down, thus keeping the back pristine.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I was kind of hoping for a stream of crazy rumors and speculation hitting the TECH sites today but so far it's been pretty quiet. Lame.

Also I've got JURY DUTY tomorrow so I'll miss the live conference. :negative:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/08/u2-significant-role-apple-event/

quote:

U2 Said to Play 'Significant Part' in Tomorrow's Apple Event
Monday September 8, 2014 5:02 pm PDT by Juli Clover

Last week, rumors suggested that Apple was planning to involve U2 in its upcoming iPhone 6 launch, with the band possibly performing at the event or including its new album on the iPhone 6. Those rumors were later dismissed by a U2 spokesperson, but it appears U2 may indeed be a part of tomorrow's event.

If the new iPhone comes preloaded with U2's new album, I don't want one.

I know it's probably a 10 second fix, but just on principle. It's bad enough that they've been using what is obviously Bono's mug on the 'Artists' tab of the iTunes player.

quote:

According to a new report from The New York Times, U2 will play a "significant part" in Apple's event at the Flint Center. Not only will U2 play at the event, its upcoming album will be integrated into Apple's products.

gently caress you, Apple.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

No, it'll be other way around.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

NOTinuyasha posted:

Explains where we get the surplus that we glue to our phones

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
iWatch is a cleverly concocted misdirection to hide what Apple has truly been working on: iBono Glasses

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Explains where we get the surplus that we glue to our phones

Have you been reading the Android thread?

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/08/u2-significant-role-apple-event/

I know it's probably a 10 second fix, but just on principle. It's bad enough that they've been using what is obviously Bono's mug on the 'Artists' tab of the iTunes player.

gently caress you, Apple.

Seriously. Weren't the beats guys supposed to keep Apple culturally relevant? Is U2 still cool?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apparently it's some gimmicky promotional thing where like the new album will be available for purchase instantly from kiosks and downloaded via NFC or something I have no idea but whatever it is I don't like it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/08/abc-news-teases-exclusive-report-of-historic-apple

ABC News is getting an exclusive into a groundbreaking announcement from Apple.

I'm starting to wonder if they are going to be really pushing the health stuff. As in this is going to be revolutionary in personal health care. It's one of the only things I can think of that would cause them to generate hype to this degree. If they could sell people a device that tracks their health to a degree never done before and get them in shape and in control of their bodies. That could be huge.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I dunno, sounds pretty inconsequential to me.

Joke answer: bringing back the U2 edition iPod.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

At WWDC it was brought up that Apple sees the health stuff as a moral obligation to their customers.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If that iWatch is a thing, I hope its a waterproof/resistant thing. The concept of having a really expensive electronic device on my wrist at all times is scary.

e:actually this probably belongs in the wearables thread if anything.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Karki posted:

Seriously. Weren't the beats guys supposed to keep Apple culturally relevant? Is U2 still cool?

No, the Beats acquisition gave Apple a streaming service and the contracts associated with it, along with a brand that makes a poo poo load of money.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

prom candy posted:

Apple has always been better in this area than Android haven't they (aside from the big battery issue that they copped to)? I never really thought about my phone's battery until I switched to Android earlier this year, and it's one of the reasons I'm thinking of switching back.

Yes, there's a reason you see Android phones with "power saver" modes that cripple the device these days.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Disappointing Pie posted:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/08/abc-news-teases-exclusive-report-of-historic-apple

ABC News is getting an exclusive into a groundbreaking announcement from Apple.

Going simply off the picture, I'd guess it's something to do with the home automation features in iOS8. Sounds interesting, but I dunno if the ability to control lights from my iPhone is really that groundbreaking.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Karki posted:

U2 isn't cool anymore but it makes more sense than like, Dre dropping Detox at the event or something.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I wonder if iTunes Radio will finally come to the UK

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I hope ihome means a door the unlocks when I walk up to it because I'm tired of manually unlocking my door like a god drat caveman

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Karki posted:

what other harmless white rock band that people in their 40's still remember as "cool" is there?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Disappointing Pie posted:

I'm starting to wonder if they are going to be really pushing the health stuff. As in this is going to be revolutionary in personal health care. It's one of the only things I can think of that would cause them to generate hype to this degree. If they could sell people a device that tracks their health to a degree never done before and get them in shape and in control of their bodies. That could be huge.

kitten smoothie posted:

At WWDC it was brought up that Apple sees the health stuff as a moral obligation to their customers.

Yeah, the rumor mill has been pretty consistent regarding Apple's seriousness about the health angle. Apparently they've been bringing medical professionals in and the sensor packages they're integrating are supposed to be way more precise and comprehensive than anything that's been seen in Android Wear as of yet.

At least that's what the admittedly less ironclad news sites have been reporting.

webmeister posted:

Going simply off the picture, I'd guess it's something to do with the home automation features in iOS8. Sounds interesting, but I dunno if the ability to control lights from my iPhone is really that groundbreaking.

To be honest, I'm hoping that HomeKit ends up being the biggest thing to come out of this. Currently, there are a few different companies in various unrelated industries all trying to gain traction for their 'smartphone friendly' devices, which range from thermostats to air conditioners to A/V receivers. There are at least three companies that I know of with their own line of controllable light bulbs and/or sockets. Each one has its own proprietary app, set of options, and interface which vary widely in how polished or functional they are.

Imagine that Apple suddenly comes along and creates a unified interface- and maybe even control panel- that allows all of these disparate products to interact in a seamless way. They make all of these companies use it (or at least make it attractive enough to do so) and heavily market iOS 8's focus on home connectivity, touting things like better energy management and peace-of-mind. All of a sudden, iOS users are a lot more incentivized to buy such products, which drives the development of more interesting and useful home automation tech than what we have on the market now.

If these health and home things end up being true then Apple is pushing iOS as an indispensable 'lifestyle companion' (sort of like with Siri) instead of trying to go tit-for-tat on spec sheets with Android manufacturers. It falls in line with the philosophy on their advertising as of late.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 9, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

carry on then posted:

I dunno, sounds pretty inconsequential to me.

Joke answer: bringing back the U2 edition iPod.
I wouldn't be too surprised if it was called an iPod.

I just want them to announce iWatch as a video streaming service to troll people first.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What time does the live stream icon usually turn up on the Apple TV? I've only got an up to date firmware ATV for the first time recently, but I'm running an extra profile for Plex Connect, so just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything and I need to disable this etc.

101 posted:

I wonder if iTunes Radio will finally come to the UK

When I sign in to my US account on my Apple TV, Radio works fine (and makes the other Radio app confusing and pointless). I haven't tried doing this with my iPhone, but it might work. It's surprisingly quite decent, given that I don't really need/use these Spotify/Pandora services due to preferring my own music 99% of the time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

NOTinuyasha posted:

Well not me anymore, unscratched glass is completely :nws: at the factory and i was just fired for looking at that photo.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Whatever they do, I hope they get Sonos stuff into the home automation interface, like with Airplay, but Sonos seems to be pretty set on their own system.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I'm thinking that if they make a watch, it will be minimalist, style over features and will not compete snaz-wise with the android wear watches we've seen.

• Slim and light.
  • Non LCD, probably single-color display (e-ink or something new).
  • Battery life will be really good due to the display and relatively small processing power.
  • Integrated NFC (payments), fitness tracking, bluetooth LE + Siri - all tethered to an iPhone.
  • Range of straps (+ apple authorized extra ones).

Sometimes you can tell what the nature of an apple device will be from the criticism that apple-afficionado blogs use re competitor products.

Everyone -> Battery life.
Gruber -> Not completely round (hence Motorola 270).

I think the big reveal might be an apple TV replacement with home console capabilities, iOS etc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wooger posted:

I think the big reveal might be an apple TV replacement with home console capabilities, iOS etc.

Isn't consensus that there's no ATV replacement until at least next year now? I do hope the existing model gets an OS update to allow the same things. 8GB should be plenty enough for installable video streaming apps and the like, which is really the only thing I wish it had now.

Need to find a thread to rage about NFL Now in, because goddamn does that apps existence annoy me.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

What time does the live stream icon usually turn up on the Apple TV? I've only got an up to date firmware ATV for the first time recently, but I'm running an extra profile for Plex Connect, so just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything and I need to disable this etc.

Should be there now. Restart your Apple TV if it doesn't show up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Diabolik900 posted:

Should be there now. Restart your Apple TV if it doesn't show up.

Cheers I'll go check now!

e: all good, a restart did the trick. Wonder why they remove the app when there's nothing going out live, as there's a bunch of old keynotes in there too which is always useful to have on the menu.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 9, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ugh, disappointing if true:

MacRumors: Alleged iPhone 6 Geekbench Results Reveal 1.4 GHz Dual-Core A8 Chip, 1 GB of RAM

e: Although someone claims the EXIF data shows completely different phone models for the photos, so grain of salt and all that.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 9, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just remembered regardless of the announcements, hopefully well get another good chunk of Craig Federighi proving himself to be the most awesome keynote speaker in the game.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

ijyt posted:

Ugh, disappointing if true:

MacRumors: Alleged iPhone 6 Geekbench Results Reveal 1.4 GHz Dual-Core A8 Chip, 1 GB of RAM

e: Although someone claims the EXIF data shows completely different phone models for the photos, so grain of salt and all that.

Could be the iPhone 6c, which would put it in line with the 5S.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just want to say that even if I don't plan on buying anything shown today, I thoroughly enjoy these stupid events and love to see the new technology and features they showcase. I think its a cool thing that Apple does.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Agreed, because it's the only one that's actually watchable and doesn't make me embarrassed for everyone involved. WWDC was just full on entertaining, and I hope the same from tonight.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If the home networking stuff means I can walk into a room with my iPhone and the lights adjust accordingly to my preferences, that would be cool.

I expect this to be much lamer or require something like $50 adapters for every light socket.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Just want to say that even if I don't plan on buying anything shown today, I thoroughly enjoy these stupid events and love to see the new technology and features they showcase. I think its a cool thing that Apple does.

Once you hear Jony's perfect voice you will be all products in all models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I really wish for at least one of these launch events they'd do same day availability. Even better, Tim Cook would stop in the middle of the presentation, call timeout, and ask everyone why they're still even in the keynote room, the phones are on sale at your nearest fruitstand right now. Then he'd maniacally cackle as a Gizmodo contributor gets crushed in the ensuing stampede.

• Locked thread