Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Who's there?
Fbi!
Fbi who?
Fbi supports indie game developer scene!

Lolygon posted:

The International Game Developers Association is working with the FBI and bullying experts to help game developers deal with what they see as an increase in online harassment, Kate Edwards, executive director of the International Game Developers Association, told Polygon.

The association plans to create an online resource on its official site in the coming months to outline what developers can do to minimize harassment and how best to deal with it when it happens.

Edwards said she was approached by the FBI in July during a visit to San Diego for Comic-Con to discuss the harassment of developers online.

"I had a meeting with the FBI in July regarding harassment," she said. "They noted a rise in activity. They themselves monitor this activity, but they're focused more on cybercrime issues like hacking and very malicious harassment."

A spokeswoman with the San Diego office of the FBI told Polygon that the July discussion was a proactive meeting.

"We wanted to let Ms. Edwards know the FBI's capability," FBI spokeswoman Emily Yeh said.

Yeh said all 56 field offices of the FBI help investigate a variety of cybercrimes, including harassment, adding that those who feel like they are being threatened should either contact their local police department or the FBI.

"Whichever they feel more comfortable with," she said.

Yeh was unable to verify Edward's comment that the July meeting was driven by an increase in online harassment of developers, saying only that she didn't know why the meeting occurred when it did.

Online harassment of game developers has been a rising topic of conversation since last summer, when a number of high-profile incidents brought attention to the issue. Those incidents included threats against people like former BioWare writer Jennifer Hepler and former Microsoft developer Adam Orth. The topic made international news again last month when developer Zoe Quinn and critic Anita Sarkeesian said they each received death threats that drove them from their homes, and a Twitter bomb threat diverted a plane carrying Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley to San Diego.

Last week, the board of directors for the International Game Developers Association condemned the harassment of developers in a public statement on their website.

"Over the last several weeks, game developers and affiliates have been the subject of harassment and 'doxxing' attacks, including threats and posting of home addresses," the statement read. "While we support diverse viewpoints and healthy debate on the issues within our industry, we condemn personal attacks such as these which are not only morally reprehensible, but also illegal in many countries. We call on the entire game community to stand together against this abhorrent behavior."

Earlier in the month, prior to this latest spate of attacks, Edwards told Polygon that anecdotal evidence indicated that harassment of developers remains an issue but that the organization hadn't "seen a marked increase, or decrease, in the behavior."

At the time, she said that the association was in the process of creating a Mental Health Special Interest Group that would encompass issues around harassment.

This week Edwards told Polygon that the association "remains resolute with our plan."

"If we see that an issue is getting worse or that there is a greater need then we will serve that purpose," she said. "Obviously, given the recent events, that may be the case.

"We are actually setting up an online resource on our IGDA site and we hope to have it up pretty soon."

Edwards said the association is also still working to create the special interest group, which will not just be about harassment but "all kinds of issues that affect the mental well-being of game developers."

The creation of a resource to help harassed developers was sparked by a request by members of the association, Edwards said.

"We have had our own membership approach us," she said. "But it hasn't been an avalanche of people screaming, 'Hey, we need help.'

"It's certainly been over the last week or so, with people saying that we need something in place. We were working already on it, but we totally agree."

In creating the resource, association members and special interest groups are talking to external organizations who specialize in online harassment and bullying. They are also, Edwards said, continuing to stay in touch with the FBI.

"What [the FBI] wanted from me was an interface for developers so they can share preventative measures they want to get out to us," she said. "We met, discussed the issue and said, 'Let's collaborate.'"

The FBI, Edwards said, seemed mostly concerned with the security of video game companies, its IP and the developers.

"They said if you have an online presence as a game developer you need to think about security issues," Edwards said. "That was the basis of the meeting."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

LaTex Fetish posted:

fbi?
fbi who?
fb i don't give a gently caress

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Soral posted:

thank goodness the fbi is here to save these people from the basement dwelling neckbeards saying mean things about them online. the true terrorists of this modern age.

someone in washington d.c. must be pissed about fez 2 getting cancelled

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
puting agreed to leave ukraine in exchange of fez 2, now that gamers made phil phish doxx himself putin is sending his tanks

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Liquid Penguins posted:

Does anyone take polygon articles at face value? It's obvious whoever wrote that made all of it up.

Wow tell me more, I thought polygon was the paragon of gaming journalism in fact following their suggestions I bought sim city day 1 and an xbox one since the operating system was better than the ps4s

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
http://www.p4rgaming.com/the-truth-about-video-game-journalism-readers-youre-all-stupid-but-please-keep-reading-our-stuff/

PR4Gaming posted:

The Truth About Video Game Journalism Readers: You’re All Stupid But Please Keep Reading Our Stuff
BY JACK · AUGUST 25, 2014

On Forbes, a prominent video game journalist wrote about the truth behind video game journalism. Apparently, there is nothing wrong with it. And he’s right. All of you readers are just plain wrong. Every last one of you. Even you.

I don’t want to generalize about a typical video game journalism reader, but I know you’re all stupid. You’re the reason we exist. If you actually cared about real video game news, sites like Kotaku and Polygon would simply cease to exist. Thankfully, that’s not the world we live in and it’s all because of you.

I know some of you think that you’re different from all those other readers, but guess what, you’re not different. At least that’s how we view it since a click is a click. We need that money. So there’s no point in covering something that only a few people really care about. Like actual video game news.

To be clear, I mean actual video game news. Do you really need someone to convince you that 30 FPS is somehow better than 60 FPS? Because I can totally write about that and somehow make it seem like there’s an actual debate going on. And people will read that garbage instead of something actually interesting like an interview with Toshihiro Kondo. Sorry, I take that back. That’s not interesting. How about an unboxing video of the new white PlayStation 4 bundle. Spoiler alert: it’s white.

Or how about an article about the mysterious Pokémon Black creepypasta? Because video game culture is more important than video games themselves. This is the state of video game journalism today. We write what you guys want to read. The reason we video game journalists are so bad is because of you guys. If you wanted something better, then maybe you should have thought about that before clicking on an article about Game of Thrones on a video game website.

Going back to the article on Forbes, there’s no war between video game journalists and video game journalism readers. We’re all just idiots focusing on things that don’t really matter when it comes to video games. And we will all continue to be idiots until one side demands better standards. But it won’t be us, that’s for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm almost done with my JoanRiversdied.wad for you btw

Spoiler that poo poo! Or please have the decency to use the 8.3 file format as it's customary for true gaming! :argh:

• Locked thread