Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
LMAO at Weidman going Full Liddell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Chris Weidman shouldn't jump around on those knees like that

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Every time I've seen Rodrigo Damm fight he's been absolutely horrendous

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
that performance was a Damm shame

pizza combos
Feb 23, 2011
Weidman is da best. That whole team is cool as poo poo.

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!
Lol @ the fact that Damm was at one point a strikeforce title challenger

Another year
Oct 13, 2011

the mermaid
see
a movie?
POTN: Iaquinta for running away from Anik

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Every time I've seen Rodrigo Damm fight he's been absolutely horrendous

At one point in the first it looked like Iaquinta was gonna label him full force coming off a break, Damm was just standing there like a retard and the only reason I think Iaquinta missed was cuz he threw an elbow instead of a punch

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Two last name back tattoos for the price of one. Awesome.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Thank god these guys have nametags on their back, because I don't know who the hell they are.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Two last name back tattoos for the price of one. Awesome.

:hfive:

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Wasn't it Yuns who did an exhaustive breakdown of the arm-in guillotine?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
lmao the reverse Joe Rogan

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
There ya go. Phoenix wins.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Was that a reflexive tap by scoggins?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Wasn't it Yuns who did an exhaustive breakdown of the arm-in guillotine?

Yuns posted:

Even though guillotines are not considered an advanced move, I find that many people have trouble finishing them and many of those people only have a cursory understanding of the guillotine and its mechanics.

The guillotine can take many forms but here I'll touch on a few:

The guillotine (no arm in) - This strangle uses your forearm and bicep to compress the major carotid arteries on both sides of your partner's neck. The back of his neck will rest under your armpit and the front of your opponents trachea with be in the crook of your elbow. For a superior high elbow variant of this strangle, once you've locked on the position take your pulling arm and the elbow up high and point it straight over your partner's back. This makes it harder to defend.

The power guillotine - power guillotines are generally those guillotines that do not have an arm in but instead of the traditional pulling up motion with the support arm you use a pushing in motion to compress. The most famous example of this is the McKenzietine used by MMA fighter, Cody McKenzie. He made a fist with his choking arm hand and used his second hand to push the fist inward. These power guillotines have the advantage that pressure can be maintained in mechanically disadvantageous body positions like a passed guard but the amount of pressure is less overall and, if body positional control is not maintained alternative counters can be used.

The arm in guillotine - This is probably the most common form of guillotine. Ideally you do not want your opponent to have his arm inside your choke. It is tougher to strangle a neck and arm instead of just a neck. However, in live rolling you will usually be able to get an arm inside guillotine much more frequently than an arm free guillotine. Additionally once you get that guillotine grip many people will reach over your nonchoking shoulder to relieve the pressure and your support hand will have to come under that defending arm and thus the arm will end in inside. Despite the greater difficulty, it is still quite possible to finish an arm in guillotine. I will discuss this guillotine in greater detail later.

The shallow guillotine - This is not the proper term for this types of choke but it is how I distinguish this choke from other types of guillotines that may look nominally like normal guillotine. This guillotine does not rely on a blood strangle of the carotids but rather relies on the blades of the wrist compressing the trachea. Frequently people will use it off a failed normal guillotine. Perhaps they got a guillotine on you but it is too shallow and the forearm is over your throat. By switching directions and instead of pull up the choking arm pulling the choking arm elbow up and back, you can sharply compress the trachea and produce severe pain and an extremely fast tap. Marcelo Garcia uses a shallow guillotine grip in combination with the high elbow guillotine as his marcelotine. Notice how shallow his grip is in this video http://randomgrappler.blogspot.com/2011/01/blog-post.html

The one armed guillotine - I thought I'd briefly mention this submission. It is a submission from on top of side control where instead of the normal cross face arm position you reach around the head with one arm like a guillotine but use the second arm to underhook your partner's far arm. How turn to face opponent's head and bring his head off the mat. This is a combination neck crank and choke. Most people use it as a simple neck crank but it is also a choke. You can dial in the amount of cranking by how far your lift the head off the mat. You can dial in the amount of choking but how far apart your pull your elbows (pull you choking elbow back like you are using your forearm to cut your partner's throat).

I could give detailed instructions on all these guillotines and many many variant but let's focus on at least being able to execute an arm in guillotine properly.

First, the key to the arm in guillotine is your initial arm position. I usually know as soon as I get a good guillotine grip on the head whether I'm going to be able to finish the strangle or not. For a traditional strangle your grip must be DEEP. If you can see your elbow easily, then your grip is too shallow. Your head grip must be deep enough that your elbow is hidden.

Let's imagine a scenario.

Your partner is turtled in front of you after a takedown and you are in front with a quasi front headlock position. One arm is around his head gripping his chin and the other arm is gripping the back of his same side tricep.

* First make sure that controlled arm is cleared by pulling it toward you so that he can't defend by pulling back his elbow. You can also lock your hands palm to palm and use this gable grip to pull his trapped arm in toward you to clear it away from his body.

* Move your head close to and over the back of his head. By bringing your head over his, this allows you to get a deeper choking grip.

* Slide in your head grip arm in deeper so that your elbow is not visible and the back of his head is under your armpit. Ideally your elbow should be about at the midpoint of the front of his trachea.

* At this point, your partner may be trying to dig his choking side hand inside your neck grip and may wrap his nonchoking side arm around your body and place his shoulder against your chest to defend the guillotine. If he does not, you can get the guillotine with no arm inside for the easier finish.

* Bring your choking arm hand up around his opposite armpit while flexing your bicep so you are creating pressure already on both side of his neck.

* Now reach over his defending arm that is wrapped around your body and grab your choking arm hand or wrist. Traditionally, you use a finger finger or monkey grip (all fingers together with the thumb on the same side as the fingers) on the wrist and heel of the hand BUT the grip is not critical at all to this choke so feel free to use an alternative grip if you prefer.

* Now pull up your choking arm wrist as high as you can by lifting up your pulling arm elbow as high as you can. Your partners head should be as high as possible under your armpit

* You absolutely do not want to let your opponent get his body across yours (if he get cross body you won't be able to finish and he can shoulder/von flue choke you). You also do not want to be square on to/in line with your opponent as it's not the ideal position to finish from. To produce the strongest choking pressure you should be out of alignment with your opponent with your body to his trapped arm side. This alignment theory also works from mounted guillotines and instead of a pure square on mount it is better to finish a mounted guillotine from knee on belly off to the trapped arm side.

* So step your legs out to the trapped arm side then sit under your partner on your choking arm side hip by bringing your choking arm side leg knee first under your partner from the trapped arm side so that the foot is hooked onto the trapped arm side hip and the shin is across the stomach with the knee by the choke side hip.

* You should be on your choking arm side hip.

* Now throw your other leg over partner's back from the trapped arm side to keep him from passing to a cross body position and to keep him from rolling. You could also use closed guard but stay off to the side on your choking arm hip.

* ideally to finish you want to compress his carotids. Imagine your forearm and bicep are two arms of a pair of scissors with the hinge of the scissors being your elbow. Pull up hard on the choking arm wrist and flex the bicep to close the scissors as if they are going to chop off the head and bring your hinge/elbow tight toward your side/hip.

* The following are indicative of having the proper position. His back should be arched and he should be curled forward not stretched out straight. If his body is straight it is easier for him to pull his head out. Have him curled up. I prefer to have the crown of his head on the mat not the forehead. If his forehead is on the mat I feel he can pull his head out easier and there is less pressure. He should his chin forced down into his chest and turned toward your torso.

* You should be able to finish an arm in guillotine like this.

So that's a very quick summary of the guillotine.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Nobody gonna stand up with me except john dodson

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
came in for round 2 and that just looked odd.

are the other prelimis good, bad or hilarious?

Greg fill us in on reems gameplan

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Thanks fatherdog

It was really cool to watch him work the guillotine, then finally sink it. Cool fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

SquirrelGrip posted:

came in for round 2 and that just looked odd.

are the other prelimis good, bad or hilarious?

Iaquinta had an awesome finish.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
in line for the bathroom lot of lauzon shirts apparently he has a lot of parents

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

What kind of lovely fighter calls out Matt Mitrione?

Also I quite like Bisping as a media type.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

I always thought the TAM/Faber guillotine where he jumps to the guillotine and also traps an arm or two with his legs was the power guillotine but it sounds like it was just a really good and cool way to do a normal one. Very informative

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

Iaquinta had an awesome finish.

Did the rest of the fight suck?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Ewar Woowar posted:

What kind of lovely fighter calls out Matt Mitrione?

it was because the Struve/Mittrione fight fell through the night before he said this in his post fight interview

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I always thought the TAM/Faber guillotine where he jumps to the guillotine and also traps an arm or two with his legs was the power guillotine but it sounds like it was just a really good and cool way to do a normal one. Very informative

Yuns is a sharp dude and he knows his guillotines

mewse
May 2, 2006

SquirrelGrip posted:

I told alistair that if his shoulders get tired then he's not going to be able to fight, and then I had some guy wearing nurses scrubs discover bone spurs in his elbows. He's ready.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Greg, I heard Reem happened to injure Jon Jones on his way to the arena today? Is this true?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

SquirrelGrip posted:

It was pretty one sided but was entertaining

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

SquirrelGrip posted:

Ehhh it wasn't much of a 'fight'. Just al hitting a bag.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Alistair and jon are just good friends

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Rad I like Al but sometimes he seems lost.

Ready for Joe Bonus Lauzon time

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I really want to stay up for Overeem but I'm not going to make it, have fun lads

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Joe Lauzon you are one ugly motherfucker

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Two minutes have passed. Congratulations on your win Mike.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
If Chiesa's striking is "effective" then he's improved leaps and bounds since TUF

nice titty punch!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Nice turn.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Some slick poo poo from Joe right there

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Well Howdy Doo this fight owns.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Connecticut seems to be biased towards incredibly ugly fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another year
Oct 13, 2011

the mermaid
see
a movie?
Cool round

• Locked thread