Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

New Girl returns September 16 in its previous Tuesday 9pm timeslot.

Erstwhile on New Girl...
-Nick and Jess broke up. Nick is now bunking in Schmidt's room like in college
-Cece is a (bad) bartender at Nick's bar and dating a 20-year-old
-Schmidt still pines for Cece and still isn't able to tell her
-Winston passed the policy academy entrance exam
-Coach is a P.E. teacher at Jess' school and living in the loft
-According to Brian Posehn, Jess is the third hottest white teacher at her school

Show News
At the conclusion of this season, New Girl will have aired 94 episodes. TBS and MTV bought the syndication rights for 5 years starting fall 2015 at a little less than $700,000/episode combined, which is less than FX paid for Mike and Molly.

For comparison, Big Bang Theory sold for $1.5 million/episode and 2 Broke Girls sold for $1.7 million, both to TBS. But don't be so bad, because New Girl sold the streaming rights to Netflix for $900,000/episode.

Cast News
Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr. starred in the R-rated comedy Let's Be Cops. Although it's only at 20% on Rotten Tomatoes, it has grossed over $61 million domestically on a $17 million budget, so it made money.

Jake Johnson is also starring in next year's Jurassic Park 4 World.

Season 4 Casting Spoilers
-Damon Wayans Jr. is officially a series regular
-Jessica Biel will play "the hottest scientist in the world"
-Kaitlin Olson (Dee from It's Always Sunny) will play Jess' nemesis from high school
-Julian Morris (Prince Phillip from Once Upon a Time) will play a teacher at Jess' school

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
More Winston and Ferguson, less relationship drama, please.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

More Winston and Ferguson relationship drama, please.

Fixed that up for you

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
So pumped for the new season. I shall rematch season 3 this week. I'm curious to see if Schmidt will get back with CeCe or not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

quote:

I remember this happening, but had forgotten it before reading it here again and was happy all over again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Babygravy posted:

So pumped for the new season. I shall rematch season 3 this week. I'm curious to see if Schmidt will get back with CeCe or not.

I'm rooting for Schmidt to wind up with that red headed co-worker. Cece is boring. Need more characters! More whacky adventures! Maybe Coach will go to space!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

More Winston and Ferguson, less relationship drama, please.

Ugh yeah, season 3's weakest point. It worked great in season 2 because it was built up organically around Nick and Jess's friendship and it made sense for them to get together (plus all that ridiculous chemistry). Then in season 3 it was all about, yeah! Gung ho! We can overcome our incompatibility issues if we try! Except we can't all of a sudden so lets break up.

Year of Winston please. Lets make it happen.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Make it too
Be around wacky police antics?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

There's no way Winston will develop at all now with Coach as a regular.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Coach loving sucks. I know it's dumb and petty but for some reason I hate Damon Wayans, Jr and he ruins the whole goddamn show for me. He necessarily takes screen time from Winston, who is actually an interesting character. gently caress him.

His dad was cool, though. Homey don't play that. Heh.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Senior and Junior are both awesome you big old grump!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's still really loving crazy how much they look alike. I mean, I know they're father/son, but holy poo poo they look like clones.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Now I miss happy endings. Dammit Coach.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Coach loving sucks. I know it's dumb and petty but for some reason I hate Damon Wayans, Jr and he ruins the whole goddamn show for me. He necessarily takes screen time from Winston, who is actually an interesting character. gently caress him.

His dad was cool, though. Homey don't play that. Heh.

Coach was the best part of the pilot and the start of season 1 was all off for his absence. I really wonder what the show would have been like if Happy Endings was canceled at Season 2.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Babygravy posted:

Now I miss happy endings. Dammit Coach.

I wish they could have crammed everyone from Happy Endings into this. They could be like the wacky neighbors!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hughlander posted:

Coach was the best part of the pilot and the start of season 1 was all off for his absence. I really wonder what the show would have been like if Happy Endings was canceled at Season 2.

They should've just reshot the loving pilot like a normal show would and had Winston/Coach 2.0 from the beginning.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I'm just now watching Season 3 and somewhat dreading the reintroduction of Coach. I didn't too much care for him in the Pilot and loved the interplay between Winston, Scmidt and the gang.
The whole chemistry building between Jess and Nick was fantastic but I knew they wouldn't work. They couldn't work being a show and all

Heres to hope the show keeps building on 1 and 2

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
In before romance between Jess and Coach.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'm just now watching Season 3 and somewhat dreading the reintroduction of Coach. I didn't too much care for him in the Pilot and loved the interplay between Winston, Scmidt and the gang.
The whole chemistry building between Jess and Nick was fantastic but I knew they wouldn't work. They couldn't work being a show and all
I couldn't stand him in the pilot but he's one of the best parts of Season 3 and I'm so glad he's a regular part of the cast.

Also holy poo poo Kaitlin Olson is one of the funniest women on TV, I can't wait to see her in this.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Josh Lyman posted:

Season 4 Casting Spoilers
-Jessica Biel will play "the hottest scientist in the world"
-Kaitlin Olson (Dee from It's Always Sunny) will play Jess' nemesis from high school
-Julian Morris (Prince Phillip from Once Upon a Time) will play a teacher at Jess' school

I can't wait for the Aluminum Monster to make an appearance.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Holy crap I don't think I'll be able to handle her as a decent human being..

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Babygravy posted:

Holy crap I don't think I'll be able to handle her as a decent human being..

Not sure there is such a thing on here. At least not a normal human being.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Compared to her role on always sunny I'm sure she'll be a saint.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Babygravy posted:

Compared to her role on always sunny I'm sure she'll be a saint.

Hopefully she'll be $cammin.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Clearly she's going to play Jessica Freakin' P.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

With Wayans being a regular you know what that means...

NEW CREDITS SEQUENCE!

I hope.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Waiting for them to lovely green screen him in.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
All I want is at least one five minute scene per episode of Coach and Schmidt riffing at each other, each barely able to keep from breaking.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Really hope this season is better than last years. Always struck me as a show with a great cast but a lacking writers room who don't know what to do with them. Hopefully they'll pull their thumbs out, although maybe now it's in syndication they'll feel they have no reason to.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

PriorMarcus posted:

They should've just reshot the loving pilot like a normal show would and had Winston/Coach 2.0 from the beginning.

I agree. It's actually pretty cool they've decided that you can write two separate black male regulars on this lily-white sitcom, but it's definitely an uphill battle when Winston was clearly conceived as a replacement for Coach.

They're both sports-obsessed men whose masculinity is undermined by effete tastes and emotional vulnerability. But in the effort to distinguish them since Coach's return, they've basically reduced Winston to some sort of Charlie Kelly-esque failure to elevate Coach to New Girl's normal romantic comedy milieu. It's Coach who dates Cece and tries too hard, like a Schmidt-lite, while Winston obsesses over his stolen cat and takes Rx meds for fun with his bus driver girlfriend.

If they'd re-shot the pilot and had Winston just *be* Coach like they clearly wanted, they could've introduced Damon Wayans Jr last season as a more uniquely-conceived character. As it stands, they pretty much have to totally remake one of them to make it fit.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

I agree. It's actually pretty cool they've decided that you can write two separate black male regulars on this lily-white sitcom, but it's definitely an uphill battle when Winston was clearly conceived as a replacement for Coach.

They're both sports-obsessed men whose masculinity is undermined by effete tastes and emotional vulnerability. But in the effort to distinguish them since Coach's return, they've basically reduced Winston to some sort of Charlie Kelly-esque failure to elevate Coach to New Girl's normal romantic comedy milieu. It's Coach who dates Cece and tries too hard, like a Schmidt-lite, while Winston obsesses over his stolen cat and takes Rx meds for fun with his bus driver girlfriend.

If they'd re-shot the pilot and had Winston just *be* Coach like they clearly wanted, they could've introduced Damon Wayans Jr last season as a more uniquely-conceived character. As it stands, they pretty much have to totally remake one of them to make it fit.

They're gonna try, with turning Winston steadily weirder, and doing the whole "Let's Be Cops" thing (irony!). I dunno what direction they're gonna take Coach, but I think bringing him in last season was a last-minute, "Holy poo poo, DWJ is available we need to lock him down" thing. They've had an entire off-season to figure out where the characters need to go, so I figure they have some ideas. We'll see tonight, I guess!

edit: Utopia looks like the single dumbest thing ever put to Television.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 17, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
HEY FUCKERS, WATCH THIS SHOW!

Holy poo poo, Jessica Biel is some sort of hot autist.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm the better mate from a biological perspective you're shorter weaker dumber I love your shoes.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is when this show is good: When all six of them are just bouncing off of each other and the people they respectively want to have sex with.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

How did salt get in that tiny tiny pepper hole?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Forgot this was on today :negative:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

How did salt get in that tiny tiny pepper hole?

(The random tap shoe sfx is killing me.)

frontyardninja
Nov 5, 2005

I don't know why they don't just get the crew together and slow-mo chicken dance again.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

A fantastic opener. This was everything I loved about this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Heard the premier was good. Still haven't forgiven the show for the super-bullshitty breakup, but it sounds like it's worth watching even if you're still sore about that.

• Locked thread