Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
okay what the hell let's do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
confirmed

are bagels really bread, though? they're some sort of mutant amalgamation as far as i'm concerned.

cinnamon raisin. king bagel.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

don't get me wrong they're delicious mutants

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

The Carpet Shark posted:

I wasn't allowed to have bagels growing up because my mom thought pretty much the same thing.

this is the most tragic thing i've ever heard

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Murmur Twin posted:

even in other Mafia games/chatty places like Survivor Vistas/Mafia Discussion, she capatalizes and punctuates.

nah there are plenty of instances in vistas where she does not capitalize/punctuate. like half the survivor ADTRW vista and off season vista she does and half she doesn't. depending on mood or something probably.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Oh yeah phone posting. I am doing so now and I hate that it capitalizes words against my will.

Also pretty sure at dinner the other night half of my eaten food volume was in the free bread because it was warm and free.

My friend is convinced bread is super bad for you while butter is not so it's a good thing she's not in this game or she'd have a hard time defending herself if she was bread aligned.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
yeah PM seems to have a habit of getting lynched early yet always being town so i'm pretty sure her posts are just her posts and there's nothing inherently scummy about them, at least not in my opinion

also this game is oddly fitting because this is the facebook page i made to play words with friends during Survivor

https://www.facebook.com/people/Bread-Loaf/100004551826360

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
my suspicion leans more toward murmur for really getting the ball rolling with not much to go on, but this is also my first game so who knows maybe this is just how this poo poo starts. it just feels super lame to start accusing people over almost nothing.

battleship is one of the few games i skimmed in preparation and that seemed particularly frustrating.

also 'being light-hearted about butter' is a hilarious phrase to me

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
My lack of posting is based on two factors. One: I didn't even know how this game worked at all until like three days ago. Two: at work and can't reallydo much besides phone post. I'm only able to be fully active between 5-11 PST.

Also gently caress phones. Held backspace for two seconds to get rid of a couple words and it deleted half the post.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

The Carpet Shark posted:

TwelveBaud's whole butter thing against PM was so weird that I really have no idea. I would vote vote Met before them.

it seemed kinda like a half-joke. i'm not quite sure what to make of it either. is it really wise to make pretty much your only post an accusation?

that said it would be hypocritical of me to get on his case for not posting enough. like PM said, it's day 1 of a newbie game.

Propaganda Machine posted:

awesome

anyway i did actually just read murmur's scum game. her lynch was hilarious and her playstyle is indeed different from what we're seeing here. but i got my eye on her.

well it's like you said, could be a conscious effort to play differently than scum last time to throw things off. seemed like a very strong point to me.

soscannonballs posted:

Ok so here is what I think about the game so far. Based on my past (albeit limited) mafia experience, a lot of the time on D1 you have 2-3 town players go after each other while the scum team kind of sits back. Now the scum don't lurk as in not posting, they are usually around but just don't post anything of substance, and if you look at the post count list they often fall around the middle. I feel like we have a pretty good chance of hitting scum if we disregard the top and bottom two posters and examine those who remaining. Here is the list as of right now:

The Carpet Shark
Mr. Maltose
Soscannonballs
Murmur Twin
Met

Now I know that I am town, so the other 4 are the people I am the most interested in right now. Of those four, I am not really getting scummy vibes from Murmur Twin. I am a little uneasy about The Carpet Shark, but Mr Maltose and Met are at the top of my scum list right now. Hopefully they will be around to post before the deadline. It would also be great if Twelvebaud and Adus could post more.

yeah but what if they know that and decide to hide in the background or put themselves forward in the hopes that we'd think that way? twelvebaud and met would therefore be a pretty prime candidates, though as stated before twelve hasn't been able to post much. like myself i really just cannot post at work. i have my phone but i can't just sit on my phone at my desk and it's hardly ideal to use to make longer posts and respond with quotes. that being said, despite my schedule i've still managed to put in a few posts which is more than he can say.

that logic would also suggest PM, but i just don't get a scum read from her. i'd think it's way too dangerous to put oneself out there so much so early if you're scum.

i'm just trying to get a feel for all this still. i've been hesitant to call out people as scum because it's just so hard to find anything substantial this early on.

at this point i'd probably just have to go with my gut and i'm still leaning toward MT (and twelve after that), but i'll read her next post before finalizing a vote in her direction

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i'll give MT the benefit of the doubt

i'd lean toward twelve because he called PM out on the lurker thing which she wasn't even doing, and then said something cryptic. met just hasn't said much at all. it could be trying to lay low as to not be discovered or he could just have no idea what evidence to cling to. we're rapidly approaching deadline though.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
what happens if there is no majority vote?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
that sounds pretty bad then!

i'm going with this for now, but i'll leave myself open to other ideas if things crop up before the deadline

##vote TwelveBaud

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i didn't know it lynched the moment it hit enough votes, heh. i might have given him a bit more time.

well then.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Met posted:

That's what Day 1 is all about. There isn't much to go on simply because it's day 1. I usually play Role Madness games where no-lynch Day 1 is the standard though.

You guys are an echo chamber with the "let's hear more from Met". Makes it really easy to turbo someone you know won't be there. That's potentially scummy as it's a safe way to put a target on someone without looking bad yourself.

i realize this, and i hate to be a broken record but being my first game i'm not quite as adept at sussing out the subtleties of day 1 information gathering. so i knew it was a flimsy reason but i wasn't quite sure what to latch onto. and i didn't end up voting for her anyway.

though in retrospect the case against twelve was pretty flimsy too, and the fact that he never showed up to defend himself actually should have been more telling about his town status than anything else. i have to imagine that if you're scum and your role is so limited and vulnerable you would not just refuse to show up to defend yourself.

and if he literally could not do so because of his schedule it was very unfortunate for him, and i'm sure the scum took advantage of that to lure newer people like me into voting for him.

gotta go to work or else i'd pick apart posts a bit more.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm in the newbie game for a reason!

On some level, it was a brain fart. I had already put it out there that I thought Twelvebaud was most lynchable. I left the computer for a bit and when I came back at least half the remaining players agreed enough to vote him, so in my head the hammer made sense. And then I forgot that discussion/play stops once the hammer drops and realized I should have let people know I was going to do it first.

(I believe I messed that up in LYLO in Poque's Cats mafia and ended up losing for town - that was my last game before I went on break)

forgot?? that seems like an important rule to remember! seems like a bit of a weak excuse.

Met posted:

Like this. Pretty loving trusty. "Oh, Twelvebud is our pick? I'll switch off this guy and vote Twelvebud out then. NO PROBLEM."

The Carpet Shark is my pick for today.

Throwing my vote out now because I plan to go to bed early because I have drinking plans tonight. Try not to turbo me.

carpet shark is a newbie like i am and i'm inclined to believe he felt going with the flow was better than causing too many waves when things seemed to be going in a certain direction. my line of thought was 'all the cases are fairly bad but twelvebud's post was kinda confusing and awkward and oh man doing a NL sounds real bad so better choose someone'.

meanwhile you're voting immediately which seems a bit hasty. however my retroactive skepticism at twelvebud's scum status due to not defending himself could technically apply to you as well. seems pretty risky to go the almost entire night before the deadline without saying anything.

soscannonballs posted:

That was a very dumb hammer vote.

while this is true, i could also read this as a quick cover. when i played survivor i did something against my alliance at one point and when the results of that action came up i was one of the first people to go 'oh man that thing that happened was sure unexpected and bad!' it can be tempting to speak up quickly in opposition of something to hide the fact that it was actually benefiting you.

it's a meager point but figure anything is worth pointing out

not sure who i'm leaning toward yet but definitely not placing any votes at the moment

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Murmur Twin posted:

Props - really quick, you seem to think Carpet Shark is town. Why?

I'm starting another effortpost regarding other people but it's 1:37am here and I'm starting to fade a bit.

my town leaning read on carpet shark might have something to do with being sympathetic to a fellow newbie but it seems like he's been kinda put on the defensive while also having a hard time picking out exactly what looks like scum behavior. i also really have a hard time figuring out what it's supposed to look like, which is why i had a 'bad feeling' about you early on simply because you were the first to make an accusation. something i have been told is just pretty normal and even indicative of town behavior. i'm not fully convinced of his innocence either, but if i were to trust my gut i think he's okay.

for the record it seems slightly odd to me that you voted for carpet after getting confirmation (which you asked for) that the deadline was not until friday or saturday. bringing down the hammer with time to spare is possibly another slip-up, but other than that i've been getting more of a town read on you lately.

met hasn't really posted much at all in regards to the game except for the one bigger post today which he immediately uses to cast a vote and then say he won't be around later. being new i can't tell if that's a riskier move as town or scum.

this game is hard!

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
yeah a lot of good points there. i think the opinion flip-flopping and starting the twelvebaud vote and disappearing stick out quite a bit.

this game is quite a learning experience. if i ever play again i'll finally have an idea of what to look for...

i still feel like carpet shark is just kinda overwhelmed due to his interrogation, especially the part where he gets told to "act more town" which would be a baffling command to me, another newbie.

i was also afraid of the possibility that PM and MT were grilling each other so hard while both possibly town. PM made good points, but i've kinda lost my gut feeling about MT's scumminess over the past day. i'm not totally convinced she's town but i think she's had good reason to need to defend herself and she's done her share of casing others.

with soscannonballs' last post i think strong mouse is moving up my suspicion list and met is still on it.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i'm a really lame player in this type of game. i need more tools to work with than just wordplay. literally everything i look at could be seen in a different light depending on the read.

MT and PM: putting the most effort into casing people. seems like a town responsibility, but it would also serve their cover the best as scum to convince us to vote for other people.

strong mouse: if they're scum who are they working with? he has kinda bounced around in his ideas of who is scum and got called out. no one has really defended him. it could be that 'bussing' thing that was talked about, but that seems risky now that we're so close to the deadline and he's a likely target to get voted.

met: feels like everyone has been accusing him except murmur. could be working together? however there seems to be a high likelihood that he was not around for the NK. could he have sent in his action early? i don't know the specifics of this.

carpet shark: a newbie and his reactions seem genuine for someone who is being accused of being scum while town, at least from my point of view as another newbie who is town. PM and i have come to his defense. both him and PM could be scum but by that logic i could be too.

socannonballs: has been kind of in the background as well but made a compelling case against strong mouse. this could be a subtle play to stay out of the line of fire while also putting in a solid contribution and not seem like too much of a lurker.

so i guess if i had to make a choice, i'd lean toward met and murmur still i suppose.

my 'gut feeling' list from most likely town to most likely scum at this rate is probably

carpet shark
PM
strong mouse
socannoballs
MT
met

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
well i guess if i were to vote met now it would bring the hammer down and we still have 50 minutes. i imagine he can't post right now? seems kinda lame that he gets so few chances to defend himself but my feelings aren't particularly strong toward anyone else.

will give it a bit more time.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
to vote strong mouse would essentially be assuming that pm is scum as well since she's his only real possible partner at this point. or so it seems?

decisions decisions...

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
my only real problem with voting strong mouse was because i just wasn't sure who was on his side. an argument was presented for such. not sure how much stock to put in it, but we're getting down to the wire and further defense of met was brought up as well. strong mouse isn't saying much either...

going to do this for now and cross my fingers i guess

##vote Strong Mouse

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
well then

i guess that saves us from having to figure PM out...

PM WE SHALL AVENGE YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

The Carpet Shark posted:

My real question is why would scum vote PM? A few people mentioned she was going to look pretty suspicious if Strong Mouse flipped scum, so why would they eliminate someone the town had established they might vote for?

so i have a couple theories about this but some of them are based in my lack of knowledge of this game so bear with me:

1. somehow they knew she was a doctor and wanted to get rid of her role. i think this is impossible because i don't think we have any configuration where someone could get that information.

2. someone very new to the game just made the wrong choice. that would possibly implicate you, carpet shark, however i don't know if this is very logical either. i mean your very post i'm quoting points out that this would have been a bad idea.

3. someone sent the night kill choice in very early in the day because they might not be around. this is something i'm very unsure of because i don't know if this is even allowed. that said, if true this would strongly point toward met.

4. they figured we'd guess a scum would not make the hammer vote on their own ally and therefore come to the conclusion that PM was most certainly town therefore making her the most appealing choice to kill.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Murmur Twin posted:

Wow - wasn't expecting that! That said, I feel pretty good about the last scum as well:

I wasn't looking too hard at Adus on D2 because others seemed scummier. Now that two of the three people that were above him on my list are gone, it's time to look a bit deeper:

As the case on Strong Mouse built up, my town train of thought was this:

1. The only stand that Strong Mouse took was against Met, which he couldn't defend very well and didn't seem genuine
2. Of all the people left, Mouse was the lone person that everyone people could agree on as being potentially scummy
3. Mouse's flip would strongly validate or invalidate pretty much everyone else's town stock, so his flip would be really informative
4. We should lynch Mouse!

Adus's train of thought was this:

a. Why does it matter if we don't know who Strong's scumbro (or scumsis) is?
b. Why bring it up at all unless trying to divert votes from Strong?
c. Why mention PM by name?

less trying to save mouse and more trying to show that i still backed PM as town. i suppose i should have made that clearer, my mistake.

quote:

My theory is that Adus thought that Carpet Shark was going to vote for Strong Mouse, so he was trying to reinforce the notion that PM and Mouse were scum together. That way, me/Met/Shark/sos all vote and hammer Strong Mouse and it's a super easy sell to frame PM on D3. I think that she messed up this plan by beating Shark to the hammer and leaving him without someone to frame.

nah, as i said above, did not think pm was scum. i was actually kind of afraid of her turning up as scum because then i would have looked super dumb backing her this entire time. some of it was probably sympathetic. one of the only games i read before this was battleship where she got lynched hard and fast, so i wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt this time. this is probably misguided and a silly way to play the game, but i tend to lean toward giving people the benefit of the doubt when i can. i'm probably not the best for this game.

quote:

Also, I think this 'gut feeling' list was faked:

From the same post:

So why not bother to explain why she's second-towniest and I'm second-scummiest?

there wasn't really a lot of time to comb through posts and give perfect examples of why i thought the way i did, especially since a lot of it was still based on gut feeling. my gut has been wrong though, as we saw with twelvebaud.

quote:

How do you leave this explanations and then put Strong Mouse as townier than sos? Also, the term "that 'bussing' thing" sounds like an attempt to play up his newbie-ness. Why?

that's reading pretty hard into my phrasing. i don't play up the newbieness, i play it exactly as new as i am.

my feeling of strong mouse being town at that point was merely because i had no idea who was on his side, so i felt like perhaps socannonballs could possibly be a scum coming out of relative hiding to case someone and throw us off track.

quote:

...because Carpet Shark has shown he can be influenced (no offense!) by people being nicer to him.

at the risk of sounding dumb i guess i don't really know what you're trying to say here.

quote:

The reason for his #1 scumpick? "It feels like everyone has been accusing him". A town player trying to solve the game, even a new one, would have some better reason to case someone than that by now.

Adus - can you address some of those points?

My list right now 90% Adus is scum, 10% Carpet Shark is scum. Given that sos played a huge rule in getting Monkey lynched, and that Met is the person that known scum Monkey was trying to target, I feel very confident that the two of them are town.

yeah very lazy on my part, i agree. but it's actually the truth. i'm more likely to defer to other people's judgment when they seem to have well-reasoned arguments. it's a result of me being insecure in my own abilities plus being not super interested rehashing old points and scanning old posts.

honestly? i'm finding i'm not too fond of the mechanics of this game. it's an interesting concept and i can see why people like it, but i prefer to have more tools to work with than over-analyzing every word of every post (and endlessly requoting) where everything can be read almost any way you want it to be. combine that with still being a bit drained from 6 weeks of survivor, i don't have a lot of energy. this makes me a pretty useless player here and i sincerely apologize for that. i just figured i'd best jump at a chance for a 'newbie game' while it was there.

so i mean, you're welcome to vote for me, but i am town. i won survivor by not bullshitting people and i tried to be vague and misdirect rather than lie if necessary. so by saying i'm town and giving you my word i'd like to think it holds a bit of weight? it's ultimately your call though.

i voted strong mouse which seems super risky if i'm scum don't you think?

Murmur Twin posted:

Do you guys really think that the only person Strong Mouse was trying to sell as scum was his scumbro? I understand bussing but that seems like a stretch here.

fair point, but yes i think it was possible for the reasons socannonballs said above. also you accused me of being scum when i would have had to vote for my own scumbro just tonight. so clearly you also think that line of thinking is possible.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Murmur Twin posted:

Whether you're town or scum, I believe this is true. I think most people new to Mafia - especially those who came from AS/ABB - go through the feelings of "when does the fun part start?" early on. I certainly did!

I think the issue is that, for those of us who come here from Awful Survivor/Big Brother, we come in expecting Mafia to be similar to those games because of the overlap in people. And it's really not - it's more "solve this murder mystery!" than "outwit outplay outlast", and I think it does take a little while to actually embrace that.

well from what little i saw of the game i certainly knew it was different and i felt going in that it probably wasn't my thing. you never know until you try, though.

quote:

I didn't really site this because to my knowledge no one left in this game followed Awful Survivor, but I'd argue that you won AS by putting in a ton of effort when your back was against the wall. Stuff like searching for idols after the second swap, feeding Goku information and then denying it, and having a good understanding of the state of the game and using it to your advantage. I think that's why I am at least questioning the "this game is hard!" angle - Survivor is also hard, and you seemed like you had that plenty under control!

they're both hard, i agree. though if you were to compare searching for idols with searching for clues about who is scum, i definitely feel like there's more concrete information on where idols are possibly hidden. deciding who is scum based on vague hunches due to how they word their posts is a different set of analytical skills which are a bit more difficult for me because everything i look at i'm wondering if it's really a slip up or just something i am misunderstanding or just part of an act. it's all very subtle. which is why i find the whole concept interesting, but difficult.

quote:

The thing is, in Survivor everyone has the same goal (don't get voted out), and that makes a gigantic difference because it puts all of the players on the same playing field. In that game, anyone can align with anyone and trust that they're working for the same thing as their alliance mates. In Mafia, that's not the case - people are assigned their teams at the beginning, some of whom are definitely going to be lying, and so you can't just take people on their word no matter how much you like them or trust their character.

To use an analogy: if we're two friends playing Poker and you push all-in, I'm not going to decide what to do based on how much I trust you as a person. I'm going to look the strength of my hand, the cards in play, how you've handled other hands, what your tendencies are, and make a decision that will help me win the game. No amount of "I give you my word that my hand is strong" will get me to throw my hand away, no matter what my opinion of you is in the outside world.

i certainly didn't put much stock into my 'hey just trust me' argument, but i figured it was worth a shot.

quote:

Not really, it was going along with the majority at that point. I feel like the writing was on the wall that Strong Mouse was the scummiest-seeming player, so at that point it was jumping off a sinking ship.

there was a point where there were 3 votes against met. i could have easily hammered him. could you explain to me why it's better to sell out my own scum partner rather than kill someone when i had the chance, even though it was an hour early? genuinely asking because i don't see the logic there. we had a bit of concern earlier when you "rushed" the hammer vote against twelvebaud but i feel like it still would have been a better outcome for a scum player for a town to die rather than let his own get cut. and i could have done that before further arguments were made to lynch mouse.

i feel a bit bad because you're actually making some decent arguments for a potential intricate thought process from me but sadly the truth is you're overthinking my actions.

quote:

We might as well go around the room and say who our main suspects are and why? The reasons I listed above haven't changed for me - I would still feel good about an Adus lynch, I just feel like with 5 people left we can get everyone's opinion out before starting to vote.

i'm out of time and have to go to work so i'll have to do this when i return.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
interesting turn of events. i'm on my lunch break and trying to eat so i don't have much time but i'll try and give my current thoughts.

there are two scenarios.

1: met is telling the truth.

in this scenario i only have one person to vote for. socannonballs. socannonballs was the first one to really case strong mouse and did so very well. so it seems very odd from my point of view.

2: he is lying.

if he's lying then the only possibility is that he is scum, because i can't quite think of the point of lying about it if he's town.

so if he's telling the truth why vote socannonballs? socannonballs was the first person to case strong mouse and did so very well. why would he do this to his own scum partner? it would be an incredibly risky move and as socannonballs said himself it would have served him better to let other people take the heat, especially when MT and PM were going at it.

my theory is that by voting socannonballs he thought i might jump on that opportunity and try to case him. if by some chance socannonballs got lynched and turned up town it would basically make it impossible for me to recover after proving that i've not been great at defending myself. his actual reasons for voting socannonballs are very flimsy seeing that i've had met on my radar for a long time, probably more than socannonballs.

let's also consider what met said about submitting actions early. i think this is a good explanation as to why PM got NKed. the theory that PM was mouse's scum partner only came up later in the day, nearly right before the deadline. met probably wasn't around and submitted his NK early thinking the loss of PM would hurt us especially if he knew she was a doctor (i don't know how likely this is?). he didn't see that she would have been on the chopping block if strong mouse came up scum..

is there anything else i should consider? and is it poor etiquette not to wait for carpet shark's input?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Phone vote it is then!

##vote Met

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

MildManeredManikin posted:

Met, BLAND and BUTTER ALIGNED, was eaten for lunch Day 3.

Town (Twelvebaud, Mr. Maltose, Propaganda Machine, Adus, Murmur Twin, soscannonballs and The Carpet Shark) have won!

Scum (Met, Strong Mouse) have lost.

I have a write-up/summary coming up. I hope this game was as fun to play as it was to watch

hooray!

ironically i think i started to have more fun once i started getting accused? not sure how to explain that! also when met said he was a cop the pieces started to fit together for me and things were a lot less vague.

i know i kinda failed at being a good investigator but hopefully i didn't perform too poorly for my first game.

interesting experience overall. not sure if i'll join another one of these. maybe after i've had a sufficient forum game break.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

MildManeredManikin posted:

Adus, you started out rough but as there was more information on the table to work with you came to some really solid conclusions. You could be a great town player based on what I saw at the end of day two and three, if you eve play again that is. I thought your "would I lie to you" to MT about you saying you were town was loving hilarious though.

it was one of those things that after i posted it i regretted it but no edits so what can you do? it made MT say some nice things about my AS game so that was cool at least!

quote:

The first thing that drove me mad about this game was everybody trying to figure out what the community thinks is scummy and what is towny. This is newbie game guys, this is like the only time you don't have to play within the world of the overall SA meta! Go with what you think, not what you think you should think!

eh, easier said than done. i really had NO clue what i thought was scummy/towny so i could only hope to get some impressions of what those things were like in other games. i'm someone who will think himself into a circle if i don't get some reliable feedback. "x behavior seems like town behavior, but maybe that's what the scum WANTS me to think"

even at the end i was contemplating the idea that sos lynched his own partner to make him look even more in the clear, because it seemed so unrealistic that scum would kill their own that it might have actually been the perfect plan?

quote:

Finally, holy poo poo soscannonballs, that was one of the best town games I've seen, recently at least.

sos for MVP. the strong mouse case was great and i hadn't even really been thinking about him. it might have been a lot harder to pick him out if we hammered met first. also sorry i kept spelling your name wrong!

i'll consider playing again sometime. not quite sure when though! thanks for the game, mmm!

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
don't worry i didn't take it personally, but i know how you feel. i hesitate to be aggressive because i'm too conscious about possibly hurting other people's feelings.

yeah it was definitely kind of a jarring transition from survivor to this. i'm not sure where the specific disconnect for me was. perhaps not having anyone to talk to that you know is on your 'side' or perhaps having no way to make myself feel absolutely safe like by winning a challenge/finding an idol.

in general in life it's just natural to have an 'innocent until proven guilty' mindset. kind of the opposite you want for a mafia game. there's no way to prove guilt really until that hammer comes down so you just gotta attack and hope you're right. i was aware this was how the game is played, but it still takes some practice to truly get into the swing of it. so i feel like i learned quite a bit.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
you're preaching to the choir there.

it's a clever trick they used to hide that last one (which they also used for some of the scavenger images). you probably know this by now but for anyone who doesn't: you can thumbnail an image but have it actually link to another. so clicking the image will just enlarge it, but opening it in a new tab/window reveals a different image entirely. so my desperate hunt for idols that ended up having me find scavenger hunt images did end up helping me find an idol later. it was just my luck to be the only one to win the clue anyway and therefore have no real ability to keep it secret. i mean i could have lied but it wouldn't have served much purpose.

i spent a very long time searching though. i'm actually quite frustrated i didn't find the others. the one hidden in the BYOB tribal council was there before the game even started and i thought i had done a fairly thorough job looking through it. also annoyed i didn't find the one in the extreme ways video because i knew there could be a link in a video comment or description and i checked a bunch of videos from old threads and early on in ours but for some reason i did not consider newly linked videos.

ah well, i guess no one else found them without clues either so i don't feel that bad but it made me feel a bit dumb for wasting a lot of my time in some very obscure ways (such as searching doc histories like you mentioned).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Adus

this is the whole reason i was so lazy! i was so burnt out from relentlessly searching posts for idols! had there been more of a break between survivor and this game i probably would have been a bit more motivated.

• Locked thread