Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

We seem to have a lot of complex or unusual games lately so why not have a really simple bread and butter mafia game. I was going to make this game flavourless but I have just now, while typing this sentence, decided to make it bread and butter flavoured. Bread is town because they're BASIC but RELIABLE, butter is scum because they're COOL but BAD FOR YOU. This game is for 9 players.

If you've never played mafia this wiki is a good starting place for information. Basically you lie to people/figure out who's lying depending on what role you get. This set up is very newbie friendly so don't be afraid to sign up. I'm also eager to answer any questions you might have about the game.

Anyway this is an F11 which means I will roll a genuine four sided die and based on the result I will use one of these set ups:

Each one has an equal chance of happening. There will not be any roles that are not listed here. If you're unfamiliar with the roles, I've included links to the relevant articles explaining each role.

RULES

• No editing your posts.
  • No talking OOT unless you are able to do so.
  • Don't post your role PM.
  • Don't spectator-post.
  • Don't post after hammers or daykills.
  • Don't post after dying.
  • Don't encrypt your posts, make Toxx clauses, or play Truth or Dare.
  • Don't lurk. I will tell you if I don't think you're posting enough.
  • Don't go against the spirit of the game. The spirit of the game is inviting and fun.
  • :sun: Be nice! :sun:

Once the game starts you will receive one of these Role PMs:

Vanilla Town posted:

You are BLAND and BREAD ALIGNED. You're on the good side but you have no special powers

Cop posted:

You are a BREAD ALIGNED COP. You're on the good side and you have a special power. Every NIGHT you can INVESTIGATE a player and you will find out if they are BREAD or BUTTER

Doctor posted:

You are a BREAD ALIGNED DOCTOR. You're on the good side and you have a special power. Every NIGHT you can PROTECT a player and they cannot be KILLED that night.

Mafia Goon posted:

You are BLAND and BUTTER ALIGNED. You're on the bad side but you have no special powers. Your BUTTER BUD is _______ and every NIGHT the two of you can pick one player to KILL.

Mafia Roleblocker posted:

You are a BUTTER ALIGNED ROLEBLOCKER. You're on the bad side and you have a special power. Every NIGHT you can BLOCK one player and they will be unable to do their regular action. You BUTTER BUD is _______ and every NIGHT the two of you can pick one player to KILL.

Player List
  1. Adus
  2. Met
  3. Murmur Twin
  4. Propaganda Machine
  5. soscannonballs
  6. Strong Mouse
  7. The Carpet Shark
  8. Mr. Maltose
  9. TwelveBaud

DAY ONE
DAY TWO

sign-ups closed.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've got your email if you want to edit it out

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Added Carpet Shark, Strong Mouse and soscannonballs. I'm not putting world mafia champion and only heart player Mills in this game. PM and Magres are on the waiting list.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also I did a background check on met because I wasn't sure if he was new or not and he appears to be new so he's in as well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TwelveBaud posted:

Waitlist me, coach

With only 10 games under your belt, you can go in right away!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, my Mafia Career is pretty dang brief. I'm down.

You've got to post in this one though my friend.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's fine, it's a bit awkward when other people aren't online but we've had a lot of Australians and unemployed insomniacs successfully play so as long as you can :justpost: when you're online it should be fine.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Alright, PMach promised me she would play this if I convinced Adus to join this game so I'm adding her to the list too.

Also with that the list is full. I have one more reserved slot I'm saving for somebody but if they do not want to play Poison Mushroom will be in the game instead. I have a few replacements in mind if we need them.

We should be beginning Monday afternoon. I'll reiterate some of my expectations for the players and then send out role PMs.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Murmur Twin has confirmed her reserved slot and is in this game. Poison Mushroom, you're first replacement.

So with that the game is afoot. I have rolled my genuine four sided die, picked a set up and have assigned roles. I'll send out your Role PMs shortly.

These aren't normally rules in Mafia but for my game I'd appreciate if you:

• Don't Lurk - If you have less posts than me and votefinder do combined at the end of the first day you're probably lurking.
  • Don't relentlessly shitpost - This just means don't be aggressively unhelpful and refuse to talk about the game.
  • Don't be a dick - Self explanatory, exercise self control here people.

I doubt the last two will come up, and I will PM anybody I think might not be following these with a reminder about it. I'm not going to modkill or replace people for these. These guidelines are just here to make the game more enjoyable for everybody involved.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Alright Role PMs are out, no more spectator posting until the game is done please.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Votefinder is down right now but I'll manually count the votes until it's back up.

Not Voting - Everybody

Current deadline is Wednesday at midnight EST, or approximately 1 day and 22 hours.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

oh, crap, that's ongoing.

I'll let you edit it out if you would like.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm at work right now and should be back right around the deadline. If you guys kill somebody before I'm home, don't post after they're hammered (receive the majority of the votes) I'll post the flip as soon as I'm available.

Also please get your night actions in quickly tonight. Shoot them to me before the day actually ends if you'd like. You can even give me conditionals like "if x is scum I use my action on y, if not I use it on z" if you're really inclined.

If I can get night phase to be like 30 minutes I'll be super happy.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Phone posting here.

Twelvebaud, BLAND and BREAD ALIGNED has been eaten for lunch. It is now NIGHT. Send your actions in before I get home.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 11, 2014

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

In the night, somebody ate Mr. Maltose, BLAND and BREAD ALIGNED

It is now Day 2

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

MMM: may I have confirmation that the deadline isn't tonight? I don't think I'm going to be online, so if it is I feel like I should have a vote here. But if it isn't, I don't want a repeat of last night where the fact that I voted makes a negative difference.

Right. It's certainly not tonight, I'm not satan. How mad would you guys be if it was Friday or Saturday at midnight EST.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not at home right now and won't really be until tomorrow so assume that the deadline is Saturday at midnight EST. You can vote somebody out before then if you'd like, but you won't get a flip until tomorrow.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

still no posting after hammer, right?

That's correct!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Due to popular demand and also a work shift that will probably never end your deadline is now going to be on Sunday 11PM EST, but your future deadlines will be a bit tighter.

Day 2 is going to start at midnight regardless of when the hammer happens. If you're not going to be there for that night phase and you have an action submit it to me early etc.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 13, 2014

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Votecount for Day 2

Strong Mouse (4): soscannonballs, Murmur Twin, Adus, Propaganda Machine
Met (2): Strong Mouse, Propaganda Machine, The Carpet Shark, Propaganda Machine
The Carpet Shark (1): Met, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin

Not Voting (0):

Strong Mouse, BLAND and BUTTER ALIGNED has been eaten for lunch Day 2. It is now night. Day 3 should be in one hour, barring something unusual.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 15, 2014

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Check your email Strong Mouse.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

In the night, Propoganda Machine, BREAD ALIGNED DOCTOR, was eaten.

It is now Day 3.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jokes on you guys I'm at work, will post flip when I'm home

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Met, BLAND and BUTTER ALIGNED, was eaten for lunch Day 3.

Town (Twelvebaud, Mr. Maltose, Propaganda Machine, Adus, Murmur Twin, soscannonballs and The Carpet Shark) have won!

Scum (Met, Strong Mouse) have lost.

I have a write-up/summary coming up. I hope this game was as fun to play as it was to watch

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

First I'll say that I feel players shouldn't be forced to withold information that is influencing them, this is why I told Murmur she could use the posting times even though in an ideal world that wouldn't be an argument I want players to make. (More importantly though, It's a bad argument! Don't use it in the future because it's bad) Next time I'll have my nights locked to an hour since that seemed to work better and I'll explain this in the op.

Everybody did really well this game, with the exception of Twelve, who never really had a chance to play. Sorry bud.

The first thing that drove me mad about this game was everybody trying to figure out what the community thinks is scummy and what is towny. This is newbie game guys, this is like the only time you don't have to play within the world of the overall SA meta! Go with what you think, not what you think you should think!

It wouldn't be a mafia game if two town players didn't tunnel the gently caress out of each other from D1 on, so thank you PMach and MT for keeping this game rolling along. It was very enjoyable to watch play out and I'm glad you eventually realized that it was happening sort of. Also it was pretty great that on day two you guys produced Strong Mouse and Met as the lunch candidates and were both correct but totally divided.

PMach you played a really solid overall game, pulling good town and scum reads throughout the game with a high volume as well. Also you always protected the person the scum almost killed but didn't. It made me wince like every time.

MT, you started off poorly I think, I'm not really counting the first case since that one is always going to be bad (and thank you for starting the actual game btw) As the game progressed though you started pulling out better and better reads, like pushing hard for Strong Mouse. The final day where you saw through Met's cop claim was really impressive, especially since you already had such a strong town read on him.

Maltose, I figure I should mention that you had some good D1 reads and I was excited to see what you were going to do as you got further. Alas.

Adus and The Carpet Shark did really well for their first game! quit now and you can have that coveted 100% forum game win rate.

Adus, you started out rough but as there was more information on the table to work with you came to some really solid conclusions. You could be a great town player based on what I saw at the end of day two and three, if you eve play again that is. I thought your "would I lie to you" to MT about you saying you were town was loving hilarious though.

The Carpet Shark, your intuition is really good, you had Met down right out of the gate and then continued to make some strong arguments for his scumminess. You did a fair job at figuring out the other player's alignments as well, although as a sort of inverse of Adus your later play got bogged down a bit and you got beaten to the hammer twice, which was pretty funny. I think your biggest problem in here was accidentally giving off a scum vibe that a lot of players latched onto. I know this game was stressful at points, but I hope you still enjoyed it. Also, saying that you know me personally is an impressively ballsy lie for a new player to make as town :wtc:

Strong Mouse, you actually did a really great job in this, even though it may not have seemed like it. You were a pretty important part of throwing the lunch off of Met in the first day and your consistent bussing helped clear him in the minds of other players later. Please continue to play mafia.

Met, Honestly you did really well considering you were on the chopping block every day. The cop claim was not the best executed manoeuvre but you did a pretty good job at intimidating players out of voting for you. I think town just got in too good of a position right at the start of this game for you to really navigate your way out of. Also the time difference thing super screwed you and I apologize for that.

Finally, holy poo poo soscannonballs, that was one of the best town games I've seen, recently at least. You got a bit sidetracked at points but I'll just lay some quotes down:

soscannonballs posted:

I would like to hear more from Met. I know he said he won't be around in the standard hours, but so far he hasn't really talked about anything. This post:

is the only thing he said which has anything to do with finding scum.

soscannonballs posted:

You are acting like MT and PM are the only two choices in that you have to "pick" one of them. It also sounds like you are going to rely on other people to make cases and then just vote on the one that sounds best, which is pretty scummy.

soscannonballs posted:

I think MT and PM are both townies who are going after each other which is all too common. In fact, in my first ever game I did the exact same "its either you or me that gets lynched today" as town to another town player, and town ended up losing quite horribly. So who do I think is scum? Well there have been three players that I have been suspicious of so far in this game:

Met
Carpet Shark
Strong Mouse

-snip-

##vote Strong Mouse

soscannonballs posted:

I don't believe the cop claim for one second. If you look at the setup there is a 50% chance of town having a cop but the scum will know for sure whether we have one based on whether or not they have a roleblocker. If the last scum is is just vanilla then we have no cop but they can claim cop and just say they investigated two townies and we have no way of verifying that. Also, I don't recall MT ever being a viable lynch candidate. Finally, if I were scum why would I write up a big case on my scum partner and push for his lynch over literally any of the other players? Why wouldn't I just let PM and MT continue to go at each other instead of trying to get them to look at other people? This is a desperate last ditch attempt by Met to stay alive.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also, I'll probably run another open set up a bit more complicated than this in maybe october or november, who would be down to play that?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Adus posted:

eh, easier said than done. i really had NO clue what i thought was scummy/towny so i could only hope to get some impressions of what those things were like in other games. i'm someone who will think himself into a circle if i don't get some reliable feedback. "x behavior seems like town behavior, but maybe that's what the scum WANTS me to think"

It was a bit more directed at player who have played games before and were presumably trying to remember what arguments were used in those games. Still easier said then done though, because that's literally how you learn right?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I found my games to be a lot more enjoyable when I started posting more aggressively and throwing poo poo out there rather than hanging back and being pensive. Less people thought I was scum as well. I think I pretty much hit the peak of this in twitter mafia where I made like something like 300-400 posts iirc. For reference this game had 350 posts.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think survivor has an easier to understand cause and effect chain as well. You have a general idea of what's going to come out of your efforts based on when and where you expend them. I think survivor players have a hard time transitioning because that doesn't really exist in mafia as much. It's not apparent how you should suss out alignments and it can be frustrating to be cased when your sincere. Also, unlike in survivor, there are night kills which completely remove your control over your destiny.

I guess that's what it is, survivor feels like you can control your fate, especially with an honest effort whereas in mafia you're at the mercy of people and the only ones who know you aren't lying want you dead.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also I am ridiculously jealous of you finding an idol without a clue adus. I never talked about it during the game but I scheduled like an hour a day to scour multiple threads for links. I also went through the gdoc history of every gdoc linked in the non archived survivor threads as well. I really wasted a lot of time on searching for that thing. I even used some underhanded tactics that I cannot reveal, but took a frustrating length of time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Each time it was posted I went to the video and listened to it while looking at the pic of hong jinho. I did this every time and never even clicked the description to better understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey everybody, you're all cool and also formally invited to sign up for BREAD MAFIA II!

• Locked thread