Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Locked thread
K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





It's 8am on a Monday on the second week of the IPIS program. Miss Sharon has yet to arrive, which is unusual- How is an AI with an internal clock and a body slaved to a specific place late? But yet here it is, her shell form still hanging inoperative at the front of the class while you squirm in your carefully reinforced and bolted down seats. 8:01. Where is she?

It's the first time you've been left alone with each other without active, constant supervision. The proctors and monitors are still off. The teacher is missing. You and your classmates are utterly alone.

Maybe this is a test in and of itself.


Ray

Sitting here doing nothing is already starting to grind your gears. At the accelerated rate you experience time for combat analysis, this minute has dragged on beyond the point of fairness. You want to move. You want to hunt. You have wanted it all week. Who do you see as a threat right now? What are you going to do about it?

Evie,

Nivaine looks... on edge. Very on edge. If you're any judge (and you are, you know: Nobody else sees Nivaine like you do,) she knows something and is desperate to say it but cannot. You want to help her. You're a helper bot, after all, right? What do you do?

Everett,

Now is a time of opportunity, free of intrusion from meddling teachers. Someone here looks like an easy sell- a start to the endless possibility that is the future of the Arrayer. Who is it? What are you going to do?

Dorothy,

This last week has been a whirlwind. All the talking, all the people- they've exposed how shallow your ruse truly is. How far you really are from seeming "human" enough to satisfy your mother. Now, as you sit here, there's two in this small class that approach from the opposite direction. You want to watch them, but you are under orders today, sent from channels so secure not even Al-Jazari has detected them. We are coming to visit soon. Prepare an appropriate welcome. We expect progress. You have a moment to perhaps recruit someone to help. To help you be more perfect. What are you going to do?

Chris,

The nights here have been... hard. They cut off your access to the outside every evening at 10; lights out. They don't want Nivaine getting into the systems at night. It's hard for everyone, seeing as most of you don't need sleep, but it's hardest for you, cut off in your little system alone. You've been probing that problem code, like a bad tooth, but getting nowhere. Your hard light hologram sits in your "seat" but your mind is elsewhere, remembering another tiny room. Now that you are free again, out of your box, and nobody is watching, where do you go?

Nivaine

You know what's going on, or so you think. You.. intercepted a stray message between Valentino (who, for some reason, you want to pump for data, despite his lowly status), and Sharon (real name CHARON, originally- you were briefed on her at one point as a warning.) This is intentional. They want to watch you squirm, see how you behave without apparent supervision. But you know there is subtler supervision on this room, and worse, if you blab they will know (they are watching.) They expect you to act, so they can know your methods (or maybe the message itself is a trick. Wheels within wheels.) What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

ICE-MEIN



Everett

Miss Sharon's lateness gnaws at him, an aberration in the pattern, not that patterns are anything besides artificial constructs. A faint smirk passes over his lips. Artificial constructs. Everyone here should know all about that, all about the falseness of the world before them. He steps towards his chair, following the ingrained muscle memory. At least he has muscles to retain memory. His gaze wanders the others, their seeing, not for the first time, the layers of plastic and metal underlying their seeming shows of mortality. He halts his progress and scratches at the stubble of his chin, feeling a sudden wariness.

I could offer you certainty. The Arrayer's voice hammers in his head, a sudden intrusion breaking the crystalline patterns of his thoughts. Everett cannot answer the Arrayer, the line of communication is distressingly one-way, unless he were to-

No. He stops the thought mid-way through. For all that was odd, all that stood out to him, he can't rely on that insight. He has other tools available, anyway. He could breathe. He can think. He can speak. But still, here with all of those eyes upon him, the thousandfold reflections, he finds himself stiffened with a sudden fear. He forces his mouth to open, to force words to come forth. But he can not.

I can grant you freedom from fear. Think rationally. Break down the variables. He can speak. He can break the silence, even if it requires every ounce of his strength. But again, wariness assails him, battening down his will. He should he speak to? What should he say? What can he say? Analyze. His gaze scans his peers, taking a moment to study each in turn. Immediately, he removes Nivaine and Ray. He knows only a portion of her, but it is enough to scare him. He knows even less of Ray, but he's not blind to that too smooth face, the tenseness of those artificial muscles.

He removes Chris and Evie, concerned about how much he could truly speak with either of them. Which leaves just the one. He steps over towards Dorothy and focuses on his breath. He forces his chest to rise and fall at a steady, measured rhythm, despite the animal part of his brain screaming at him to sit down and shut up. He opens his mouth once again. And says, "H-h-hey there, D-d-dorothy. Pretty weird about uh... Miss Sharon, huh?" No, too direct. Too blunt. He swallows and forces himself not to squeak as he continues. "So, uh... uh... uh... how are you feeling this morning?" He immediately feels like a fool, but presses on. "You know, with how the whole whole thing g-g-going forward. A bit curious, isn't it? All of this to n-n-normalize us." He forces a laugh. "Seems almost like a lost cause, with us." He pauses then, a stretch too long. "J-j-just a joke."

pre:
Stats
Hot -1, Cold -1, Volatile +1, Dark +2

Moves:
Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose
two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold
Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings
against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Unknowable
When you lash out physically against someone, on a
10 up, they lose 1 String on you. ē On a 7-9, add
to your list of options: they lose 1 String on you.

Special Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on
you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Bargains:
The Power Flows Through You
You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2
to your next roll (choose before rolling).

Uncanny Voices
You can give the dark power a String in order to
realize a secret about someone youíre talking to. The
owner of that character will reveal one of their secret
fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Theme



I tap my nails on the desk, in an intentionally flawed rhythm. A little piece of randomness in each cycle. A nervous tick, product of the sharper talons I hide away. But there is no reason I cannot utilize it for other purposes. I am just as interested as our minders as to the reactions of the others outside of apparent supervision.

I observe. Everett's clumsy approach - but it might work well on his selected subject. The others remain quiet for the moment. This will not do. If our minders desire information, I shall draw some out for them. After all, they would disappointed should I pass up such an opportunity. I need not reveal all, of course.

Still tapping on the smooth white surface in front of me, I consider the others. "Chris," I interject lazily, "Did you do something to our instructor? And the other monitors - did you need privacy for something? A confession perhaps. I wonder who is the lucky one."

Permanent Record posted:

Look: Predatory, hungry eyes
Origin: Instantiated this century

Stats: Hot +1, Cold +1, Dark -1, Volatile =0

Backstory: You're beautiful. Gain a String on everyone.
Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.

Moves:

Neural Trawl (The Feeding): You feed on hot blood scan someone's memories for secrets. If this is the first time they've ever been scanned, you both mark experience. When you feed, choose two:
~ you heal 1 harm previously suffered
~ you carry 1 forward
~ they don't die

Tracking Algorithms (Marked for the Hunt): When you feed on scan someone, you establish a close bond
with them. When you gaze into the abyss concerning their whereabouts or well-being, roll as if you had Dark 3.

Sex Move: When you deny someone sexually, gain a String on them. When you have sex with someone, lose all Strings on that person.

Darkest Self: Everyone is your pawn, your plaything. You hurt them and make them vulnerable, for sport, like a cat does with a mouse. You feed to the point of death whenever youíre alone with someone, though you take your time. You escape your Darkest Self when youíre put in your rightful place, by someone more powerful than you.

pre:
	 My Strings On You | Your Strings on Me
Evie: 			 4 | 1
Everett: 		 2 | 1
Dorothy: 		 1 | 0
Chris: 		 	 3 | 0
Ray: 			 2 | 3

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2014 around 21:17

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Theme
Harm 0/4, Exp 0/5, Conditions: None

<->

One thing I learned from my days as a military project, if nothing else--it's not good to be late to a briefing. How much more so must it be to be late to one you, presumably, organized yourself! It speaks to a lack of organization and competence, a failure of command! A suggestion that you're not a leader, but a threat...

...but there's nothing I can do about that now. Have to focus on what I can. Losing it and hunting down my team...classmates would be even more of a failure. I force myself to remain still, move my hands beneath my seat to make sure there won't be any stress-induced misfires. Grinding my metal/ceramic teeth in frustration, I find myself sizing up the rest of the room for potential targets. Chris and Evie? Amusing, in a dark sense--the 100% flesh and blood human who insists she's a robot, the digital life who insists he's a human--but too withdrawn, no assertion, closer to VIPs than threats. Everett, Dorothy? Possibles, certainly unknown factors involved--

--and then the tap tap tapping of metal on plastic draws my ears and eyes. Niviane. Of course. Obviously trying to get a rise out of Chris, feel him out. Two can play at that game, Niviane. I shift my voice as best as it can to the gentler, smoother, marginally less synthetic side, to a voice that would make sense coming out of my current human visage--perhaps even attractive?

"Isn't it obvious?" I say out loud, trying my best to layer a friendly, non-threatening chuckle on top. "He's probably looking at you right now. You certainly have the external appearance for it." If not the inner core for it.

Let's test the waters and Turn Niviane On. And try to spare Chris a bit of embarassment. And show that Ray is on top of Niviane's tricksy-ness.
[18:27:16] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+1
[18:27:16] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 6+1 = 7


pre:
Name: Ray Ferras
Skin: The Werewolf
Look: Wiry (possibly literally), predatory eyes
Origin: Born a wolf concealed killing machine

Stats
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1

Moves:
Bare your Fangs Blade Wolves
While you are your Darkest Self, you may use Volatile instead of Cold 
to shut someone down or hold steady.

Primal Dominance Rules of Nature
When you harm someone, take a string on them.

Special Move
When you are intimate with someone, you establish a remote connection with
them. Until either of you breaks that remote connection, by being intimate with
someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that
connection has been broken.

Darkest Self
You transform into a terrifying war mecha. You crave power and
dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone
attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to
bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really
care about or the sun rises (change this to time passes?), whichever happens first.

Backstory
You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

You've spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their thermal signature
and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

	My Strings | Strings on Me
Evie: 		0 | 1
Everett:	0 | 1
Dorothy:	0 | 1
Chris:  	3 | 1
Niviane:	3 | 2

Porter: 	1 | 0

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at Oct 4, 2015 around 16:28

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


EV-13/Evie Keltham, the Mortal
Theme song~



Day 1534 posted:

I miss dreaming. I mean, not dreaming dreaming, but...the feeling after maintenance, that feeling like dreaming and being awake at the same time. I sleep and I sleep and I think I missed a welcome picnic but I've never felt like that since. And sometimes when I sleep I have dreams of Dr. Keltham, but mostly they're just dull! (Last night, I had a dream about fish riding bicycles. I don't even like fish!)

For now, I guess I'll have to learn to deal with being awake or asleep or whatever. No in-between.

Well, I had the perfect solution -- 'cos i'm EV-13, I was made to be helpful and clever and to know how to help and not be a useless....garbagebot! like these jerks! -- but then it slipped my mind because of *that* jerk. How dare he! I'm her...girlfriend? Assistant? I-I don't know what the word is, exactly, but I definitely know it means that overgrown dog shouldn't be saying that!

rolling to Shut Ray Down.

(9:06:55 PM) ningyou1: !r 2d6-1
(9:06:55 PM) Krysmbot: ningyou1, 5-1 = 4
(9:07:02 PM) ningyou1: hahahahaha
(9:07:05 PM) ningyou1: oh no

Well, at least you tried.


"...Oi!" I'm about to give him this really nasty look and say something REALLY CUTTING like sharper than Nivi's talons and then I don't know what it is but something makes me just feel so...my voice catches and dies in my throat and it feels like my stomach's an ice chest and after what feels like a million minutes I croak out something about him being an overgrown corgi who should keep his mumble mumble to himself and....wow, I miss the laboratory. Less people. Less opportunities to COMPLETELY EMBARRASS MYSELF in the laboratory. Sigh.

pre:
Evie/EV-13, the Mortal
A pretty name
Displaced look, human eyes, new kid in town

Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1

Sex Move Initiating Slut Mode
When you have sex with someone, trigger their Darkest Self.

Darkest Self
Nobody understands you, or even wants to. Theyíd rather 
you disappear. Well, youíre not going to disappear. Youíre 
going to make life a living hell for them. Youíll betray the 
wicked to the judges, the weak to the executioners. Youíll 
pit humans and supernaturals against one another, until 
everyone looks like monsters. Only seeing the pain that youíre 
causing your lover will let you escape your Darkest Self.

Moves

True Love
You always have exactly one lover. 
The first is chosen during your backstory. If you ever fall in 
love with someone else instead, give them a String and they 
become your new lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your 
loverís heart or fancy.

Mess With Me, Mess With Him
When you use your loverís name as a threat, add 2 to your 
roll to shut someone down or hold steady. Your lover gains 
a String on you.

Excuses Are My Armour
When you ignore some blatant problem with your lover 
or how they treat you, mark experience.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold

I smile toothily at Ray to hide my surprise. There is something more to him than I had seen before. Dangerous. Fortunately another speaks up before it becomes obvious.

"I most certainly do." I lean across the table and pat EV-13's hand. "See? This poor girl is tongue tied by my presence." I wink at the warbot. Well played, that moment. But the game is not done yet.

I'll give Ray a String on me.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Sep 8, 2014 around 03:33

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...



Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: ???

The sun shines through the window, casting light into the room filled with white. If you look closely at those beams, you can see the dust floating in the air.

...Or is that just static? Is dust even supposed to move like that?

I should know this. I've seen it a thousand times before. I remember it. The light. The dust. The sterile whiteness. It's the same as it was before. This is real.

My left hand reaches up and touches the side of my head, just above the ear. The sensation is foreign and artificial. I don't know if I really expected anything different. I guess it's like pinching yourself to remind you that you're not dreaming. Or rubbing a scab. You just do it to remind yourself that it's real. Not that you ever doubted it.

The time reads 8:01. She's late. The morning should have started by now but it hasn't. This would have been normal back then but now it's not. Machines don't run late. Something must have thrown off the system. And that means...

My eyes dart toward the router in the corner of the room. Is this actually a chance to get out of here? Maybe even just for a little bit. But where? I start running through a mental list of computers in and around the school. Take a look at what's behind the classroom, maybe? Tap. They wouldn't notice. Tap tap. Or maybe I could go deeper, see what else the school might be hiding. Tiptiptip tap. Or maybe just go outside, go hide in the library for a while, or maybe go and find that hard drive again-

"Chris, did you do something to our instructor? And the other monitors - did you need privacy for something? A confession perhaps. I wonder who is the lucky one."

My back suddenly stiffens and I let out a little "Huh?" as I'm caught off guard. Being reminded of that human reflex might have been a little refreshing, if I weren't being put on the spot right now.

"Isn't it obvious? He's probably looking at you right now. You certainly have the external appearance for it."

"Hah." I laugh a little bit, either out of nervousness or out of the absurdity of the question. Then I force a grin onto my face and shake my head. "Come on, like I'd date a robot. I'm not shallow."

A burning, tense feeling fills the back of my mind. Was that a bad thing to say? Even if it was, though, I can't show it. Not now.

"Besides, isn't it a lot more likely that you hacked the system, Niviane? I mean, it's because of you that we're all locked up at night."

Rolling to Shut Niviane Down:
<Takanago> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 6+1 = 7
I'll go with placing conditions on both of us since I don't have a String on you to remove, making Niv Suspicious and myself Shallow. This also gives me 1 XP for using Cold.
If that doesn't seem like enough I can think of less generous things to call myself.


pre:
Skin: The Ghost (In The Shell)
Look: Distant, Hollow Eyes

Origin: A confused death.

Stats: Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

Unresolved Trauma: Whenever you project the blame 
and trauma of your death onto your 
current situation, roll with dark. On 
a 10 up, give two people the blamed
condition. On a 7-9, give up to two 
people the blamed condition, but for 
each, choose one:
} You gain the delusional condition,
} You canít speak during this scene,
} You suffer one harm,
} You start re-enacting the scene of 
your death.

Dissipate Wireless Transmission:
Your virus-like code allows you to bypass walls
and physical obstacles by transmitting yourself as an electronic signal.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a
question of one anotherĀ's characters. This can be spoken
by your character, or simply asked player-to-player. The
other person must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear
your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this
is your only avenue of communication. You escape your
Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence,
and demonstrates how much they want you around.

Backstory
Someone knows about how you died, how you were digitized,
and how you were found.
They know that there's at least a little virus in you.
They gain a String on you.

YouĀ've been inside someone's bedroom while they were
sleeping. Take a String on them.

My Strings on You | Your Strings on Me
                  |
Evie:           1 | 0
Everett:        1 | 0
Dorothy:        0 | 2
Niviane:        0 | 3
Ray:            1 | 2

Takanago fucked around with this message at Sep 13, 2014 around 14:51

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.



S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 0 |

Nescia mens hominum fati sortisque futurś. The mind of man is ignorant of fate and future destiny. A quote by Publius Vergilius Maro. Fitting, for the human condition. Foresight is something most are lacking, I have found. Including myself - as I am modeled for a human mind, it is logical I should be prone to the same faults. And yet my creator seems to find the exact worst times to call on me, and drive fear and anxiety like a stake into my processor. It is disturbing. As if she knows that I am, no, have been failing for too long. And yet, she "expects progress". What must I do? What can I do? Perform is the only answer to that question. Perform better. Perform perfectly.

The lateness of the teacher does not disturb me. I am too occupied with my own thoughts. I must find a way to study. Improve. Perhaps Chris can tell me some things that I must know. Perhaps he can save me. I should ask -

I get interrupted by Everett. Poor Everett. Weird Everett. He had seemed promising earlier. Now not anymore. Too many things are off about him. He is not a good human to emulate. He asks me strange things. Attempts to make small-talk. I am versed enough in small-talk to respond. Basic algorithms. I can perform above the norm here.

"I am well. Thank you for asking." Reply within expected parameters. Green light to continue. Lips curl int a gentle smile. Welcoming. Kind. "I am adjusting well to the program. I like it here. My cybernetics are still problematic, however. It is my hope that I can adjust to them soon. So I can be...normalized." A pause. Smile widens. "Do not worry, Everett. It is not a lost cause. Even you can be normal someday." Pause. Encouraging nod. "We will be just fine."

pre:
Name: Dorotťia "Dorothy" Barros // 
SE(lf) R(egulated) A(utomaton) F(unctionally) I(ndistinguishable among) M(asses) #616
Skin: The Serpentine
True Form: Latticed Wires all over, Undulating Limbs without Joints.
Humanoid Appearance: Lithe, Cold Eyes
Origins A Family from Old Wealth

Stats
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, they become a part of the Failing 
Dynasty (and subject to the moveís mechanics).

Darkest Self
You arenít ever going to be the person that your family wants you to be. 
You canít live with their shame and insanity any longer. 
You need to escape your current identity, go into hiding, or run the gently caress away. 
You need to threaten or hobble anyone who would try to keep you in these familial chains. 
You escape your Darkest Self when you rejoin your family, 
or you shed your past life and integrate yourself into a new family.

Failing Dynasty
In the age of serpents, your family was powerful and prolific. Now, they live in a shadow of their former glory. 
They want to regain their political clout. Whenever you are convinced to do the bidding of a family member,
carry 1 forward to doing it and that family member gains a String on you. 
Whenever you help your family regain some of their former glory, mark experience.

Patience is a Virtue
When you bite your tongue and donít respond to adversity, roll with cold. 
On a 10 up, choose one: gain a String on them; they gain the Condition snake food. 
On a 7-9, they gain the Condition snake food.

Backstory

Strings on you/me

Chris      2/0
Everett    1/0
Evie       0/0
Nivaine    0/1
Ray        1/0

Dr. Moreno 0/2

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

ICE-MEIN


Everett

Harm: 0/4 || XP: 0/5 || Conditions: None

Everett nods at Dorothy's words, but senses a veneer of falseness to them, the simple lies that people tell themselves in order to keep society from crumbling from honesty that cuts to the quick. It's a talent he's not developed or honed, but one he has seen in use. The mention of cybernetics, though, makes him instinctively scratch at the quickly fading scar along his forearm, where another of his peers had slammed him against a wall, splitting the skin. He remembers the blood and the sinew, and the sparkling wires that accentuated and enhanced his nervousness system.

"Normalization has been presented as a desired outcome," he says. The phrase flows more easily off of his tongue, the technical nuance more easily grasped than any sort of emotional reality. "But...." He trails off. "I uh... I am... n-not so certain." A brief flush rises on his skin, which he attempts to fight down. His gaze darts about quickly, double checking those monitoring devices. If they hear, all might be lost. He knows that someone is watching, that someone is always watching, but if they were the right eyes and ears....

He leans in towards Dorothy, broaching her physical space with the movement, so slowly enough that she would be able to pull back. He attempts to shape his voice to a whisper, but he's not well suited to the task, and the others can probably hear what he says. "You see, we are special. All of the sentience and sapience of humanity, but better. Stronger. Smarter." His lips curl into a grin, one just for Dorothy. "Normal is for boring people."

But then his attention is diverted by the others and a frown creases his brow and lips. Something had happened there, but he couldn't pick out the details, the finer points of interaction of that quadrilateral. He couldn't even tell if it was a rectangle or a trapezoid. He mutters, mostly to himself, "Th-th-though I sup-p-ppose some socialization lessons could be useful."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: None

All the responses I hear are within the expected tolerances. Niviane's indirect deflection of my probe, Chris and Evie's slightly stuttered answers showing their inexperience. Evie, in particular, has a bark worse than her bite. Heh. Dog joke. Appropriate, given my combat form. This program is working well already.

I cock my head towards Everett and Dorothy's conversation, my enhanced hearing designed for tracking gunshots picking up their words easily. They aren't so much threatening as...confusing. Everett, in particular. He doesn't have a reason to stutter so exaggeratedly that I can tell. Time to...oh, what would they call it?...bark and see what echoes.

"I may be stronger and smarter," I bark out loud towards them, looking at Everett. "I am not so sure about you."

Let's keep playing a dick! Cold's not a strong suit, but let's Shut Everett Down anyways.
[18:46:18] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[18:46:18] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 4-1 = 3


Not even a baby would react to that, nevermind anyone here! Bah!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold

"What can I say, I am very good at what I do." I stretch my arms over my head, intentionally drawing the hologram boy's attention. "If you wanted, I could show you a trick or two. Teach you how to use those systems of yours properly. I promise I would be gentle... mostly." I tilt my head at him, feigning innocence and bat my eyes. Amazing what such small movements can do. So many of my programmers complained about the inefficiency of human communication. What fools. "Or would that be too close to a date for you? I wouldn't want to drag you out of your mysterious depths too quickly."

I resume tapping my nails on the table as the conversation continues, still with no sign of our minders. The warbot plays sniper again. I think he still needs to learn his lesson. Yes, watching him squirm a bit would be - delicious. "Oh yes, much smarter - a shame you do not take advantage of it."

Shallow seems perfectly reasonable for Chris.

Going to respond to Chris' shutting me down by turning him on, because I think that would be the nastiest thing to do to him given his claimed preference.
[22:56] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 7+1 = 8

And shut down the wolfboy. Let's give him the condition Simple Minded. Feel free to name one for Niviane.
[22:59] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 8+1 = 9

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Sep 10, 2014 around 03:25

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Simple Minded

There is no army manual for treating mental wounds. I bare my fangs and hiss a bit right back. "And you are much stronger--oh, wait. A little VTOL told me you weren't. Silly me. Silly me." I tap my head with my "knuckles", the sound echoing Niviane tapping her claws on the desk.

And echoing TF2's Heavy, Niviane takes Tiny Babby Robot!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow

gently caress. I knew I should have kept my mouth shut!

What did I even expect? Was she just going to go, "Wow, Chris, you got me! If you're too good for robots, I guess I can't make fun of you!"? Of course not, machines are smarter than that. And really, I must sound like a loving loser when I say I'm too good for that-

Oh poo poo. Have I been staring at her this whole time?! (gently caress!) I can feel the embarrassment wash over my face as I quickly turn around and go back to staring out the window. There's a red hue visible in my reflection.

Way to go, champ. There's no way she didn't see that. And you haven't even said anything back yet, have you? (poo poo!)

"...Hmph!" I fold my arms and hunch my shoulders, attempting to hide my self-consciousness while I try to find a good retort. "No, thanks..." It doesn't really happen. "I don't need it."

Niviane gets another String on Chris.

Takanago fucked around with this message at Sep 11, 2014 around 01:29

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 0 | Conditions:

Withdraw just a bit. Not enough to scare him, enough to seem appropriate; he is breaching personal space, it is only natural. I do not love him. Nobody thinks I do. Ergo, I withdraw. He seems thrilled by his cybernetics. Despite being an outcast. This is what humans call passion. Ambition. A desire to achieve regardless of cost. To make something of one's self.

That, at least, I can identify with. To achieve. To make something. With a limit to the cost, however. I can only do so much with my creator looming as she does. With her gaze so intently focused on my future, my prowess - I may be still adjusting to humanity, but there is still a dignity within me. I have my limits.

Fortunately, that limit does not include being taunted by crude warmachines. I watch Ray try and poke at Everett. My eyes are still, I realize. Blink. Blink. Better. Smile. Recognize his taunt. Acknowledge it - but not the effect. Turn the other cheek. Which I do, as I face Everett again. "As I said, Everett. I am sure things will turn out alright."

Rolling Patience is a Virtue against Ray's taunting at 2d6+2=8. He gets the condition Snake Food.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





There is a barely audible *ping* from the front of the class, but it's the glowing eyes that are the real signal: Teacher's here. Class in session. It's 8:10.

"My apologies for my lateness, class. An unavoidable issue required my full attention- yes, all cores." She shrugs. "I hope you have been getting along without me. I am here to help you."

She gestures- unnecessary, but a vital component of seeming more human- and the screen behind her displays today's (45 minute, Nivaine notes, rather than the usual hour) lesson plan. Her face is cheery. "Today we're going to talk about conflict resolution. It is a particularly relevant topic, as I was called away in order to resolve a larger conflict on the next meta-level tier from the sort we will be discussing today. I have paired you up as follows."

A web diagram appears on screen.

"Ray, please work with Chris. Ray, consider this something similar to learning the rules of engagement. Chris, you should have some experience in this already, but consider the additional effect of constant datacloud availability."

"Nivaine, you are with Dorothy. Nivaine should focus on non-manipulative methods of disengagement, and Dorothy on adapting to the additional CASIE implant information."

"Everett, you obviously must work with Evie. Everett, focus on remaining in the present rather than worrying about possibilities. Evie, try to remember that emotions are important."

"After you finish your pair work, each pair will work with one of the others in turn. A round-bird method. I am here to help you. The second person I mentioned in each pair should lead the exercise. Pick a conflict you have with your partner. Feel free to pick one that is trivial or even... silly. The objective is to work on resolution, rather than focusing on the issue."

Sharon looks at you expectantly. What do you say to your partner? What do you think of Sharon? What do you think of the lesson? What do you suspect she was doing while away?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold

I stare at our minder, for the first time caught completely off guard. Disengage - without manipulation. I understand each concept individually, but in that combination it is nonsensical. Like asking someone how to turn around while standing still. The concepts exclude each other.

It is impossible.

I flick my eyes to Dorothy. The one made to be human, the crippled one. Why be human when you can be more? She will take the lead here. She will set the parameters of the conflict. How can I begin to deal with such a thing without manipulation the situation in some fashion so I am not put at an irretrievable disadvantage?

My eyes flick back to Sharon. Perhaps... meta-levels. Yes. If I should not manipulate my partner, perhaps there is something else I can... adjust.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

ICE-MEIN


Everett
Harm: 0/4 || XP: 0/5 || Conditions: None

Ray's words prick something in him, and urge to rise and speak, or to show his own strength. But others intercede and he falls back a bit, into himself. Merely words, they cannot sting as hard as other possibilities. And the Arrayer shows well enough the possibility and consequences of action, flashing them like a slideshow, some in victory, some in defeat, limited enough to be taunting, a goad to pressure him into action, to seize control. He shakes his head to clear those images, before nodding at Dorothy's words, an acknowledgement of her wisdom. The teacher's sudden arrival does not jolt him, enough of the images showed her arriving as conflict boiled over.

The instructions and the explanation puzzle Everett. His brow creases as he contemplates the possibilities. The exercise seems simple enough, and the custom instructions seems inclined to force each of them to eschew their own... quirks and behave in a more neurotypical fashion. He wonders, though, how one can deal with hypotheticals without speculation. But if anyone has a mind for paradox, it is him, and the challenge might provide illumination. It is her explanation of her delay that troubles him more. A large scale conflict, one which would task even Ms. Sharon's cores. An aberration. An uncounted for variable. It was the sort of convergence of unlikely probabilities that the Arrayer attempted to arrange. Perhaps it had a hand in things, or perhaps he would soon become aware of an entire new layer of variables to play havoc upon his predictive abilities.

Still, he steps over tentatively towards Evie. He does not understand her, because he barely knows her. Of all those present, she is most the cypher to his eyes. He studies her carefully, his gaze perhaps too clinical, but lingering too long on eyes and chin and cheek. He tries in the recesses of his mind to tie the connections together, to try and forge some sense of her identity, but so much is lost beneath the layers of his own uncertainty and doubt. How does he even feel about her? Does he have any feelings at all towards her?

The second becomes clear after a moment's contemplative, he does have some sort of emotional reaction to her, but he finds the first question's answer more elusive. At least she is to lead, Everett is grateful. He doesn't think that he could find the words to start, even with the knowledge of the infinite worlds at his command. And so, he stands in front of Evie, awkwardly shifting his weight from one foot to another, trying to find some sort of pose that presents a relaxed, comfortable air. He shoves his hands into his pockets to keep them from fidgeting and forces his face into an expressionless mask, as he waits for her to speak.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Simple Minded

I admit it--the shell in the front of the room blinking to life sends my combat reflexes into action. It takes about a second of threat assessing Miss Sharon before I realize, no, this is normal, remain calm. It does have the side effect of drawing my attention to the lesson plan--45 minutes. So this delay was planned all along. Undoubtedly the disagreement she mentioned was at the highest echelons of command--correction, the school administration. Perhaps the local authorities have registered another another anti-artificial-life protest, and they wished to inform the school?

No matter. I have a mission now, and I will move to complete it. Although I don't much care for her tone in how she says it. She could at least have called it "cultural acclimation" instead of "rules of engagement". They mean very different things. I want to bare my teeth at her for that. Jerk

Although perhaps I have it easy--if my current partner is as human as he claims to be, then all I need do is follow his commands. Although it will certainly be interesting to watch him react when it's me applying the pressure, instead of Niviane. We all know that controlled environments have a wonderful way of becoming uncontrolled very quickly.

I turn to Chris' hard-light form, narrow my eyes, and smile. Or try to, anyways. "Well, commander?" I say, perhaps with a bit of snark. "You heard the teacher. Lead on."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow

It's about time she showed up.

I'm not really happy to see Sharon, only that her arrival means we can move on from one cruddy party of the school day to the next. She kind of creeps me out, especially with that way she always says 'I'm here to help you.' It's not like she's reminding us, it's more like she's trying to convince us. Why else would she need to say it again, and again, and again? Whatever it is that she's actually trying to do, I don't get it.

I wish I could just go to normal school, and not deal with this crap. What's the point of conflict resolution exercises, anyway? You don't need to remind me that emotions exist. I don't need this.

"Yeah okay," I reply. Something seems slightly off with the way Ray greeted me just now. His eyes, maybe. Or his words. Is he being sarcastic, or is it just a cyborg thing? Or am I just imagining it? "Anyway..." I continue, "I guess we need to figure out a conflict. Um..."

Okay, what's a good conflict to choose? Where do we even start? Start with the most obvious thing, maybe? I mean he's a robot and I'm a human, and... No, I can't just say, 'I don't like you because you're a robot.' That's just bigotry, isn't it? There's got to be something else, something trivial maybe, or...

Something suddenly comes to mind.

"It seems like..." I say, trailing off for a second while I figure out the best way to phrase it. "like you kind of get in people's business a lot. Like just now before class. That kind of bugs me."

Takanago fucked around with this message at Sep 13, 2014 around 15:05

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: --

I...what?

Honestly? I like Sharon. She's...there's something in her eyes, something in the way she talks and carries herself and...everything! that tells me she understands. Not that I'd ever say that to her. The last time I told someone here about my, um...you know, it didn't go well. At all.

I don't know how to respond, at first. I...a conflict? With Everett? EV models don't *have* conflicts. We're designed to be *helpful*. We're designed to be *accommodating*. We're

he keeps

staring.

His eyes roam and linger and of course i know that emotions are important. We feel emotions just the same as humans! Whether my throat's wiring and synthetic bits or flesh and blood, i still feel that familiar lump in my throat from the way he looks at me, just like--

Dᾑᤶ┉⛹༈⏗⏑ posted:

One of Dr. Keltham's superiors visited the laboratory today. Dr. Keltham had not yet returned from her errands; she instructed me to disregard him and proceed with my daily tasks. I was unable to proceed with the completion of my duties.

"EV-13, EV-13, EV-13....and here I thought the EV-series had been discontinued. Fascinating product line, absolutely fascinating. And from such humble origins...oh, you wouldn't know, would you? Your predecessors, the ED-series -- Educational Directory, of course -- were squandered on information desks and tech support lines. Was a time you couldn't walk twenty feet in an airport without running into one. They were made to look human enough not to unsettle anybody, sound human enough to set folks at ease, but...eheh, who would have thought they'd learn like humans, think like humans?"

He smiled at me. It was nothing like Dr. Keltham's smile.

"Do you know what the first thing they learned was? The foundation of their programming? They're public property." I remember bits and pieces from one of the novels in Dr. Keltham's attic, words that were no longer abstractions to me. He sneered. " Their time belongs to everyone." He undressed her without laying a finger upon her. "They belong to everyone. And they loved it. It's how they're programmed, y'see. How you're all programmed." He chortled. "Not much difference between an ED- and an EV- anyways, deep down." He licks his lips.

"I bet you just love it when Eileen dresses you up like this and trots you out, you liማ፟፟፟{፟͋፟ओ፟॓፟۽፟ؒ፟"

His hand crawls up my skirt. I say nothing. EV models are accommodating. I feel a lump in my throat like something's caught and there's something cold and sick and twisting in the pit of my stomach something's wrong with my programming something has to be why would my programming simulate this feeling

Dr. Keltham says I am special, so much more special than anything else on the market, definitely more special than my predecessor, and that it's "obvious to anyone who knows anything about gynoids!" The reason, she says, is because I have thoughts and feelings of my own.

After he left, when Dr. Keltham returned to collect me for routine maintenance...I cried. I cried exactly three seconds after I saw her face. I cried for a full minute and then she held me in her arms and I cried more and I don't know why nothing in my documentation file offered any guidance but I cried and shook and

A neural subprocess ran a query in the background, unsuccessfully. Am I defective? I...was afraid to ask Dr. Keltham for guidance. I can't have been programmed to experience these feelings, right? What would be the purpose of making me feel like this?

"Please don't stare at me."

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

ICE-MEIN


Everett
Harm: 0/4 || XP: 0/5 || Conditions: None

Everett takes a moment to process Evie's words, blinking as his brain wraps around their meaning. Then, he recoils as if struck and drags his gaze away to stare blankly at the wall to his right. ďS-s-sorry,Ē he murmurs. Why should you fear her? Why should you not stare? All of you are always under observation. The Arrayer's voice hammers into Everettís skull and he clenches his teeth. I will unveil things for you, show you-NO! Everettís hands clench into fists. He knows that he should show empathy, that he should not pry, that he shouldn't see what he was not supposed to see. But seeing is all that he is good for. Seeing is what he was made for. He is nothing without seeing, without laying open the world.

His breath quickens. But people donít like being seen, they donít like knowing that they are nothing but probabilities laid out in a matrix, that their choices have been determined and he can see it all see it all see it all. He forces his breath to slow. Control. Calm. He is fine. His fists do not open, and his jaw remains tight. Others have it worse than him. Why should he complain? What right does he have to complain? He is better. He can surmounts these obstacles. Open your mind, and all answers shall be yours. Itís tempting. Lay it all open. Unveil the separation between self and other and destroy the space between. If all were as one then all could see and none could watch and it would be a beautiful chaos, riding the collapsing wave forms. But no. No.

Why did her words strike him so? Was is just because she was unknown? No. There was something more. Something to the tone. He had hurt her. He did not like hurting her, had no intention of doing so, but had done so. And now he feels the weight of his guilt, of his failure, pressing down on his shoulders. His hands open now and his shoulders slump. How much time had passed in that space of silence? Seconds, minutes? He had no way of telling.

Finally, he works his jaw and forces out words. ďIím always being watched.Ē As if that explains everything. As if that explains anything.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food

I get in people's business a lot, Chris? That's your accusation against me? Not against the agent who literally sucks the business out of people or even yourself who is capable of digitizing right next to the business? That's what I want to say, but of course this exercise is about conflict resolution. And that would be conflict escalation and against the RoE. I mean the acclimation primer...dammit. Okay. I clench my jaw just a bit tighter. Begin procedure response. First, restate the concern.

"I 'get in people's business a lot'? You mean more than I should?"

Second, express appreciation for concern.

"I...thank you for informing me."

Third, clarify the reason for concern.

"What sort of business should I stay out of..."

Fourth, begin scans and determine ulterior motives for concern.

"...and why are you so concerned about my reconnaissance?"

This may not be an active warzone, but there's still a bit of tension here. Human-robot tension, at the very least. Let's clear that up with a Hold Steady roll:
[20:30:25] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[20:30:26] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 7-1 = 6


That was much too obvious, Ray. He is suspicious of your suspicions now, I'm sure. Dammit.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2014 around 15:29

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 1 | Conditions:

A conflict resolution exercise. Very human. Logically appointed. Sharon knows this. To prepare us for assimilation into society we must find ways to appease others without destroying them, as some among us are want to do. Or destroy their minds, as my partner is perhaps inclined to. Niviane. Called "Nifty" by some humans, those who thinks she is not listening, or who can not be bothered to pronounce her name. Human callousness is a trait I do not entirely wish to take over myself, but sometimes am afraid that I must nonetheless.

So now I am supposed to find a conflict to discuss. But my thoughts go out to Sharon's absence first and foremost. She was resolving a conflict as well. Perhaps she knows of my creator's arrival? Or the school? Perhaps they detected the transmission after all, even if they could not crack it. Perhaps - no. I must focus on the task at hand first. A conflict. "You seem well at ease humiliating Chris," I begin quietly as we join seats. "Or everyone, for that matter. Why is that?"

Davin, don't forget Ray's Snake Food condition!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


My attention snaps back to Dorothy as she voices her question. I gesture dismissively. "They do it to themselves. I tease Chris, and he falls on his face. There is no reason for it to be humiliation except that he makes it so."

"And how are you so sure that I am at ease with it?"

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: --

"Oh."

What do I say?

"...Doc--"

I can barely get the words out, mumbling in fits and starts. Something's wrong with my stupid horrible outdated linguistic software that's just wonderful and i don't have Dr. Keltham to update my firmware or keep up with my maintenance schedule or anything!

"My--"

"...I know what that's like." I make eye contact, just for a moment.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

ICE-MEIN


Everett
Harm: 0/4 || XP: 0/5 || Conditions: None

Everett flinches briefly, reflexively, at the eye contact, but forces himself to stillness the moment afterwards. He withdraws his hands from his pockets and looks down at them, even as they begin to wring themselves in an unconscious gesture. For a moment, he considers willing them to stop, of imposing his consciousness onto those digits, but he doesn't. He watches them work, and allows his tension to work through them. He glances up to her and nods slowly, perhaps having attained some degree of understanding. "I... uh... I... well... I know that I'm n-n-not easy to work with." He swallows, attempting to push down that nervous energy rushing through him, but his hands remain in motion. "But I... uh... I don't..." He sets his jaw and breathes fully through his nose.

"I want to be better. But it's so hard. It's like... like... like... like... like...." He shuts his mouth firmly, takes a moment to collect himself, then starts again. "It's like being tossed into a different equations class without understanding algebra. It's all... nonsense and chaos. And I try, I really do try." Why is he talking still? Why is he explaining this? She doesn't care. She has other things on her mind. "I'd probably be better off by myself."

He glances up to Evie again, just a brief look. "I won't stare again. I promise."

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: --

"And sometimes it's a class you don't even need to take anyways, and...they say it's going to make you better, but it's not!"

"None of this is making me better. It's senseless and pointless and...and humans are stupid, anyways!"

And then I realise what i'm saying, and how plainly i'm saying it, and...I've said too much. "Sorry."

"A-anyways, ah, thanks."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food

It's not confirming Chris' concerns to look at Evie. She's saying it so loudly that even if I voluntarily disabled my audio-sensor enhancement package I could hear it. I look at her, and then I look back at Chris. I narrow my eyes, run my synthetic sensory tongue over my metal-ceramic teeth. The meaning, I hope, is obvious.

Are you really going to let that go unchallenged?

Non-verbal communication, after all, is just as important as the verbal in conflict resolution.

Hey, Chris! Take an XP if you get on Evie's case for calling you "stupid"!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow

Oh, come on. Did you even hear what I just said? Or are you too busy just trying to probe me for weaknesses and make me look like a fool? Don't think I haven't noticed what you're trying to do.

"Listen, Ray." I let out a frustrated sigh and give the cyborg a tired look. "You can't just go around barging into people's conversations all the time. You need to understand that... there's a few basic rules about talking to people. You can't just say whatever you want, when you want. It's rude."

And it's not like I need you to talk about the way everybody in this class seems to want to talk about me.

I look away again -- away from everybody else in the room. "Sometimes people just want to be left alone. Or... maybe there's just nothing good that'll come out of talking to them. Sometimes it's just better if you just don't say anything."

That sound pops back into my mind. That same dissonant drone I heard from that diary. I cup my nonexistent hand over my nonexistent ear, as if it would do anything to quiet it. I don't want to think about it right now.

"If that's the case, well... you just don't say anything." I look back at Ray. "That's what I meant when I say you get in people's business too much. Sometimes it's better to stay out of it. That's part of basic, human decency."

And that decency is what makes me different from you.

Not this time, Ray.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food

Hmph. He's perceptive for someone with no immediately obvious sensory organs. I might have to consider him a threat after all.

"I only listen because you speak very loudly," I respond tersely. "It is impossible not to listen. And I respond because I have certain ingrained--" not instincts. "--responsibilities to the people around me. It's a...I like to..." Well, I could say I like to assert my dominance over others. But Chris would not care for that. And I'm not Niviane--lying is not my strongest suit. Let's try to redirect the conversation. "So the proper action in these cases is to...not take action at all? This seems inadequate. Certainly action must be better than inaction." When I'm called to the scene of battle, it's not because they want me to sit around...

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow

"Yeah." I say tiredly. "That's what I'm saying you should do."

My vision starts to unfocus, and I can feel myself just start to stare past Ray. This is starting to get kind of exhausting, it's like I'm just talking to a brick wall. Doesn't he get it? Just stop bothering people.

Wait. Maybe that's just because...

"When you said responsibilities, did you mean..." My expression softens a little bit. "Your programming?"

It would make sense. In the end he's just a machine, isn't he? Built for combat, even. Maybe it's just something he can't help but do.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"That's enough, Chris. You too, Ray. Please return focus to the original conflict- no meta-gaming." Sharon's voice is a neutral monotone, but something about it feels... pleased. Like things are getting where she wants them to be.

"Continue. There are another ten minutes scheduled for this phase..."

Something about it seems designed to raise hackles. Ray, you feel a growl rising... between Chris' ignorant words and Sharon's taunting, you just wanna tear something up.
Ray, roll to hold steady.

K Prime fucked around with this message at Sep 19, 2014 around 01:11

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food

Am I being compared to some remote controlled SWORDS drone or archaic MQ-9, Ray? Are you suggesting that you can control me? Is that a threat?!

[18:22:31] <Davin_Valkri> Okay, holding steady
[18:22:34] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[18:22:34] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 7-1 = 6
[18:22:37] <Davin_Valkri> Welp


The claws come out, and they drag across the desktop with a piercing whine as I glare and growl at Ray.

"...maybe." I growl in low, assertive words. "And maybe that programming tells me that the best method of conflict resolution is neutralizing the other party. You can't have a conflict if one party is dead, can you?!"

The desktop looks like a badly abused cutting board right now. Good. Let Chris see what will happen to his data core if he keeps this up.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


I watch the unfolding resolution to the staged conflict for a moment, then turn back to my own partner and simply smile.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow

Metagaming? Are you serious? I was just-

Before I can even roll my eyes at Sharon, I am interrupted by sharp, painful screech. I freeze up, like a deer in the headlights.

"...."

I slowly turn back to look at Ray. As soon as I notice that glare, my vision instantly turns to the floor. It looks hazier than I remembered. The texture of it seems off, like someone a slightly rougher pattern while I wasn't looking. Or maybe it's just me?

"Uhm..."

gently caress. gently caress, oh gently caress. you've done it now. Why couldn't you just take your own advice and keep your mouth shut? What the gently caress were you even thinking?

I don't know.

I look back up, or try to at least. My eyes keep wandering off every time I look at him. Is everyone looking at me? I need to say something... I need to do something... I need to...

"Um... um..."

I can't.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

ICE-MEIN


Everett
Harm: 0/4 || XP: 0/5 || Conditions: None

Ray draws Everett's attention away from Evie and he stiffens as those claws emerge. He is weak. He is a beast. He is a fool. Show your superiority. Everett grits his teeth and attempts to block out the Arrayer's voice. But his frustration with the fellow, with Ray's strength and his certainty. The cockiness of his stride and the confidence to his swagger. Everett closes his eyes and opens his mind, awareness flooding in from every angle. For a moment, he's at peace.

He is no longer a single self, alone in the world, no longer a jittery mess of neuroses, blind to the subtle signals and signs that others navigate so well. In that moment, he knows nothing but peace and calm and knowledge. So much knowledge floods into him, and the twisting of quantum possibilities flare within his synapses. The slight deviations in femtoscale time flare into reality creating a beautiful mandala within his mind's eyes. His will pulls and tugs. His eyes open. And he smiles.

An attack won't work, Ray would be expecting that. And so Everett steps forward, not timid or shy, but neither a raging ego. Just another soul, seemingly lost in this world. He doesn't panic, doesn't show the least bit of fear as he lowers a hand down, resting it onto one of Ray's claw. "Now, now," Everett says, his voice a shade lower, a touch huskier. "No need for that. No need to prove what he claims. I know you are more than that." Everett strokes his hand up along Ray's arm for a moment, the touch surprisingly tender, his every motion guided by the infinite probabilities playing out in his mind.

"Now, put those away... and show everyone else what you can do." Everett steps back a step, enough that he'd still be in reach of Ray's claws, and waits to see how he reacts.

[22:23] <Meinberg> Rolling to Turn On, using Ray's Simple-Minded Condition, and The Power Flows Through You
[22:23] <Meinberg> !roll 2d6+2
[22:23] <Krysmbot> Meinberg, 6+2 = 8

The Arrayer gets a string on Everett, and Ray gets to make a choice.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food

I'm glaring so intently at Chris, letting him know just what I want to do with him, that I don't even notice the other boy step beside me.

He's rubbing my arm...it feels kinda nice, actually.

Are you seriously just going to leave it at this, Ray?!

...Chris, count yourself lucky. If Sharon wasn't the CO right now your desk would be in pieces and you'd have some claws where your hard light body would be right now. Same with you, Everett. With one final scrape on the desk, the claws slide back, become normal-looking hands again. Now stop touching me, Everett! I snap my glare at him for just a moment before settling my head on the slashed-up desk. Grrrr...

I'll give Everett what he wants right now.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 1 | Conditions:

"The way you talk about it." The answer comes quickly and still quietly. The disturbance over at Ray's table had left me temporarily distracted, and Sharon's reaction even more so. Is she pitting us against one another? Her cold stare reminds me of my creator, running tests to test my physical ability, my mental acumen, everything about me. Over, and over, and over. Rigidly staring as I pass and fail and try again.

But I turn back to Niviane, and resume the exercise. I must not fail it, after all. That would cause great shame. "You deflect guilt yet show no remorse. The teacher asked you to focus on non-manipulative methods; therefore it is easy to assume the manipulative ones come easy to you. You prod people and see what falls out. It is who you are." Just as I am trying to be human. A small pause reflects an acknowledgement of my passing of boundaries. "Please do not presume I am blaming you. I am not. I am just..." A futile gesture, to suggest I am trying to find the right word which I already know. "curious. Although it is slightly creepy."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


"Maybe you should blame me," I respond, examining my nails, watching her over them. "Creepy. More so than the dead boy or the war machine? I suppose I shall take it as a compliment."

I lean forward, braced on one elbow and trailing my fingers on the desk between on, not quite touching her hands. "Yes, that fascinates you doesn't it. You should be repelled but perhaps you feel something else. And curious about why I should feel no remorse over my actions. So you think I should. Maybe if you explain why you think so, you'll convince me." I lean forward slightly more, so that I appear to be looking up when I speak to her, and let my finger touch her hand as I trail it back. Incidental contact. Unacknowledged.

Let's see if I can turn Dorothy on.
[13:40] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 3+1 = 4
Noope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 1 | Conditions:

"Ray and Chris are not creepy," I respond, as if nothing had happened. Non-manipulative methods did not include trying to persuade the other with intimate contact, yet this was so obvious it was a wonder that Niviane had tried it at all. Curiouser and curiouser. "Ray is simply aggressive. Intimidating, but he can be handled. Chris is ostensibly not dead, given his virtual existence, and is quite friendly. I like him." I recognize that my voice has grown a little more terse with the last sentence. Was I getting defensive?

"But you are different. You have this attitude that makes you get under people's skin. Like Ray, who tries to establish a threat, but more subtle, and therefore more successful. You can read people better than him, and manipulate them therefore much more easily, and you do so with relish, and no remorse, which is what people usually feel if they do something that hurts others with so little reason. I would hazard a guess that it is more like a game to you than real meaningful interaction, as it ought to be. Perhaps that is why you are here, like everyone is for their own reasons. That is why you are creepy." My tone has fortunately leveled out again. Hopefully I can control myself as we complete the exercise.

  • Locked thread
«7 »