Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


"You like Chris - and by extension, since you are calling that out by way of juxtaposition, you mean you don't like me." I lean back in my chair, and fold my arms across my chest. "You think what I am doing is wrong, and hurtful."

Now this, is progress. I smile suddenly, and move my arms to fold them behind my head. "Excellent. Now we have a conflict to resolve. I was worried we would not be able to complete the exercise."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"Excellent resolution skills, Everett, but please use them on your own partner..."

Sharon finally interrupts. "Ray, please step outside the classroom for a moment and calm down. I understand your frustration, but you cannot use physical violence to get your way."

Is that a twitch under her eye? A glitch?

"Not anymore."

Twitch.

"In any case, this section of the exercise is over. You shou-"

Sharon stops. "I'm being called away again. My deepest apologies. Please message me if there's an urgent need here, and continue the exercise on your own. I am here to help you-"

With a sudden wheeze, the shell falls dead once more.

What on earth is going on?

Ray: do you obey the order in her absence?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

ICE-MEIN


Everett
Harm: 0/4 || XP: 1/5 || Conditions: None

Ms. Sharon's words catch Everett as he is walking back towards Evie and a faint flush creeps over his features. He glances over to Evie sheepishly, as the crash hits him, the sudden coming down from the euphoria of transcendent knowledge. His shoulders slump, posture disintegrating as the weight of being him, just him, presses down on his frame. He closes his eyes for a moment, and when he opens them, Ms. Sharon is gone.

"Huh," he says simply. Something is odd. Something is wrong. This behavior is more than just a momentary aberration, it has to be a sign of something deeper going on, some more complex web being spun. And here he stands, frozen in indecision and ignorance. Enough is enough. He pushes through the weariness and lifts himself back up to his full height. Sure, he could ask the others for assistance, for a peek into their thoughts processes. But that's not his way.

He floats in his own mind, not submerged in the quantum consciousness but skimming the surface. To those watching on, they would simply see him swaying a bit, eyes closed, with small flashes of light seen as the wiring under his skin conducts greater amounts of power through his nervous system. He doesn't need to be his other selves, he doesn't need to be complete. All he needs is to know, and it is amazing how much information is just there for the taking, lingering on the surface between realities, the femtoscale predictors forging into their infinite patterns that would be chaos to all but his illuminated eyes. He gazes and he knows. His mind searches for the answer to his question.

What is going on? What business has so threatened this school? He does not dare to probe deeper, not yet, but he knows that this information would give him the tools he requires to proceed.

[16:40] <Meinberg> Gazing into the Abyss
[16:40] <Meinberg> !roll 2d6+2
[16:40] <Krysmbot> Meinberg, 9+2 = 11

I'm looking to probe into what's going on Ms. Sharon, and how that ties into the larger threat that she implied earlier, and how to get more information. The visions will be lucid and clear and the visions show me what I must do, letting me carry 1 forward to doing so.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food

Dorothy, Everett, Niviane--they're all against me now. They're all threats. I need to reassert dominance. No one controls me but my recognized handler, and Ms. Sharon barely counts as that.

No. She's late to her own briefings. She exerts no command over anyone. She departs mid-briefing and leaves her command out to dry. She doesn't count as that.

Still scowling, I get up from my desk, clench my "hands" into fists, and step briskly for the door. I open it, step outside, then slam it shut.

Zero...one...

I force the door open, come back inside, and slam it shut. I was outside for roughly one second. That counts as a moment. "Does anybody else have any issue with me?" I growl.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


This second absence of our minder does not strike me as a test. At least, not one planned. The results of it will certainly be taken into account though. And here is the warbot again, still in attack mode. How irritatingly predictable.

I turn to face him, not yet getting up from my chair, though the smile leaves my face. Not entirely by conscious will, but perhaps for the better. "Come now Ray, some of us are still trying to complete the assignment. And she did assign partners. Are your targeting protocols confused?"

Trying to Shut Ray down... And nope again.
[21:39] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 3+1 = 4

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food

"No, no, they are not," I hiss at Public Enemy #1 Niviane as she asks her question. And then I smile, a big, toothy, only slightly malicious (honest!) grin. "But I didn't know you cared. That's sweet of you. Are you getting soft in your obsolescence, or is this empathy you're actually developing?"

Counterattack, counterattack! Shutting her down right back!
[20:19:39] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[20:19:40] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 4-1 = 3
Oh god, we're bickering like an old married couple!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at Sep 23, 2014 around 03:23

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


"I have always had empathy. But it only works if the other actually has complex enough feelings to empathize with. So I am not surprised you did not notice before now."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



The rest of the mandatory socialization period (MSP) passed in a tense, uncomfortable silence. Ray and Nivaine's glares could cut glass, and nobody else really wanted to get involved...

The bell rings, and Sharon's frame is still disturbingly, completely, silent. Normally, one of the TAs would arrive now to escort you to your history class, and the official beginning of the school day. No one comes. You remember the way... but if you wanted, and were careful, you could just leave. Maybe this is tempting.

Everett, you dig into an alternate present, where Sharon was in the classroom. Someone bursts in, suddenly, weapon in hand! Shots are fired. Someone slumps. You can't see who, but you are sure, somehow, that they are dead. The shooter is... familiar. You can't place them, especially with the quantum scatter making them look like budget Nude Descending a Staircase, but you know they look like someone you've met before.

Sharon being out somehow prevented this... but, in the futures arrayed out in your path, you see a tiny fraction where you identify the shooter to the authorities... finally, it clicks. The shooter looks like one of your classmates.

0.0001% chance of you becoming the hero of this story. Your path is clear. The millionth chance must be made reality. Who is going to kill?


You get +1 forward to rolls relating Identifying the Not-Yet-Murderer.

Everyone else, decide if you're going to class... and if you don't, how you do it and where you go.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food

I'm not sure how long Niviane and I glare at each other. On the battlefield, she'd have claws and a few bullets where her face is right now. But this isn't a battlefield, annoyingly. I make a show of spitting--my creators didn't see any point in salivary glands--and walk out the door with a *stomp, stomp, stomp*, scratching against the doorway for just a moment to remind her who she's dealing with. We can pick this up in History class.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


I wait for Ray to depart, then sigh and raise my hands. What can I do, after all, with such a person? "I suppose it is now time to learn of the myriad mistakes of our masters and creators. I personally would prefer to be out new and exciting mistakes of my own." A wink, not to anyone specific. I wonder if one will take it as a personal gesture.

I stand by the door and wait for the others. I wonder whether Ray will take my arrival in their company as a sign of solidarity, and make him question his choice of putting himself outside of the pack, or as a gesture of weakness on my part. Either will suffice. I almost hope it is the latter... I do so enjoy when they see me coming and still fail to escape.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow

The rest of first period passed like a hazy, painful trance. It could have been worse. I could have had to go through the same thing again with everybody else. It was probably for the better that Sharon left like that.

'Meta-gaming', what did she even mean? I was just-

Wait a minute. I snap my head towards the doorway, briefly making eye contact with Niviane. They're not here. This isn't how the routine goes. There's supposed to be people here to herd us around. To keep an eye on us. To make sure we don't get into trouble.Am I the only one that noticed? Am I the only one that cares?

I hurriedly turn back towards the window, overcome by a strange, sudden anxiety. It feels different. Different from the past half hour or so that I'd spent staring out there. Different from the other window that I spent all that time staring out of, back then. I could just go if I wanted to. Out there. There's nothing stopping me.

I don't need to stay here, deal with this. I could just-

A million half-ideas flash through my mind. Places I could be instead of here. Things I could do instead of go to history class. Freedom is a weird feeling. And- Oh, what's the point. Do I want to skip history class that badly?

My legs lift my weightless projection off my chair as I stand up. Without a word, or another thought, I march towards the door and towards the next part of the day.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

ICE-MEIN


Everett
Harm: 0/4 || XP: 1/5 || Conditions: None

The buzz from the light exposure to the quantum web doesn't leave Everett quite as heady, but nor are the after-effects as severe. He doesn't find himself craving to descend back again, to replace his worldly problems with multiworldly awareness and completion. Still, the information gathered is troubling, and sets him into a mode of quiet contemplation for the remainder of the class, as he tries to compare the stored flashes of retained memory with his own internal recollections of classmates.

He feels relatively comfortable crossing the other five in the room off of his list, at least for the moment. Which leaves the others in the school, and as much as he'd rather do an extensive database trawl, he knows full well that merely visual information will not do. He needs contact, physical and olfactory, to trigger those latent memories, to call to his mind who exactly is going to be taking on the role of murderer in the potential worldscapes.

And so, he prepares himself for homeroom with the others.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: --

In it but not of it.

I remember that from one of Dr. Keltham's books. There's something warm and reassuring about the memory, like....like curling up in a favourite blanket. That's a feeling she taught me, right? (Did she teach me feelings, or just how to articulate them?) We were Ꮣ˞ᓪ༐ᶯ࿱ńචĮ੗ጯşὃᛴਖ৙خ໎ᓥܹ⍈኏༤ᗶฉڀ♑᎕ጙ၎⋠໘

I slip out of the room, and...go straight to class. It's different there, but it's a welcome kind of different, after all of that. No Ray, posturing and threatening and scraping claws against metal and scary. No Everett, staring. Just...

In it but not of it, and that's okay. I'm not one of them, but it's nice being around them, it's nice settling into my seat and listening to their chatter and....how *human* they are, I guess. Their arguments, their anger....it's not as dire, not as harsh, not as intimidating.

Did I mention that the girl sitting next to me is really cute? That's not an irrational reason to show up for History class, r-right?

Ningyou fucked around with this message at Oct 2, 2014 around 13:57

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 1 | Conditions:

Sharon leaving us once more and Ray's subsequent attempt at establishing himself as a dangerous force prevent me and Niviane from completing our exercise. As I silently watch, I find myself relieved because of this. I was not particularly looking forward to getting her to attempt and change my opinion in regards to her likeability. It would have been an arduous process, to say the least. So when class is dismissed, and we are left to our own devices, I make my way away from her as quickly as I can while still moving without the distinct parameters to classify the behaviour as fleeing.

Settling into the crowd that has already settled in the other classroom makes me feel safe. I like crowds. They make my deficiencies stand out less. After all, purely appearance-wise, I am as human as any of them. It is only when my behaviour start to run into unexplored territory that I am classified as "weird" or "abnormal" or other such qualifiers. Within a crowd, I am left to observe and learn more easily. Within a crowd, the pressure of my creator's demands are therefore also less threatening, however temporary the feeling might be. But I take solace in it nevertheless, for it is not easy to find such feelings with a monitored existence such as mine.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



The buzz of History class is loud when you walk in, 5 minutes before the bell. Despite this, you are among the last to arrive- the Al-Jazari Panopticon isn't solely aimed at you, after all.

Ms. Mayfair, the toast of, has yet to arrive, however. This is not unusual for her, though: She's usually pushing some cart of artifact "examples" through the crowded halls.

Evie, Sujatha and George already appear to be deep in argumentation.

"It is TOO allowed to wear hats inside!" shouts Sujatha, flailing her gloved hands wildly.

"It's gauche!" screams George back trying to reach past her flailing arms to reach the elegant, feathered cap perched jauntily on Sujatha's head.

Everett, Suzy appears to have somehow upset Steve- he's turned away toward the wall. Or maybe that's just Steve. Who knows. Suzy, on the other hand, is trying to line up an angle for a shot of everyone in the classroom and herself- awkward, seeing as she's right in the middle. She doesn't appear to have yet noticed the problem.

Dorothy, Yanelle has got her big-rear end headphones on (Forte, by West- one of the few Rich Girl affections she allows.) Bobby appears to be sleeping. Maybe you'll have a peaceful period? No wait, Bobby just rolled off the desk. On your foot. And woke up. Ugh.

Chris, Adame appears to be in a snit, and it's easy to see why- Edgar is holding one of her books (seriously, WHO DOES THAT) on his side of the table. And your seat is right in the middle. Lovely.

Ray, Porter has clearly put glue on your seat. Your advanced sensors easily pick it up. Regina does not seem to have noticed, or maybe she doesn't care, or maybe she's in on it. Maybe they're all in on it.

Nivaine, Erin and Sulieman casually move away from each other as you approach, but you of all people can tell they were close, talking about something quietly, in the back. Strange.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


Oh ho, what is this? Conspiracy and secrets. How delicious. I slide my book bag onto the table and then myself into my seat. "Good morning, good morning. Ready for another exciting journey into the distant past? Or is their gossip of a more recent vintage to enjoy?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food

I continue stomping all the way over to my desk. I need to exert presence, control, command, countermand any other attempts at--what is this? Is this...chemical analysis says it's epoxy. Recently prepared. Strong scent--it seems strongest on Porter. But it's also on Regina...and the next desk...is it on Niviane?

Growling, I grab the back of the chair and lift it up effortlessly, being careful not to get any epoxy on my school uniform. Rules of engagement call for confirming targets. So I turn to Porter.

"Porter..." I snarl. "...did you do this?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow

Oh, great. There goes any chance of this hour being peaceful. I glance back at the door. Too late now.

Fine. Might as well get this over with. I trudge towards the table and then slump into my seat. Like usual, chair does not bend even a little bit to acknowledge my presence, and I am reminded once again of my relative weightlessness. But that's not what's important right now.

I channel all the weariness I've built up this morning into a sarcastic expression and turn left, towards Edgar. "I didn't know you were into books."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Nivaine

Both look at you in sync and go "Nothing, really," then look at each other, and burst into laughter. "We're just catching up on what happened over the weekend," explains Sulieman. "Did you hear? Someone tried to break into the school's security AI."

"Yeah!" pipes up Erin. "They tried to install some kind of backdoor, but the poor saps down in the IT oubliette managed to catch them before they finished. Spooky, right?"

Ray

Porter looks up at you with no apparent fear and shrugs, languidly. "Yeah. I was hoping to help you out... by extracting the STICK UP YOUR rear end!" He bursts into a fit of laughter, then tries to high five Regina, who is pointedly ignoring him in favor of playing some doofy game on her tablet.

Chris

"I'm not," sniffs Edgar. "Obsolete things. I'm just tired of that girl distracting me during class with ridiculous paper noises."

"That girl?!" snarls Adame. "I'm older than you, you tremendous poo poo!"

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: --

...I give George a mildly disapproving frown. "That's rude, you know."

"...besides, 's a cute hat."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


"That is interesting, isn't it? It might just be some students hoping to skip classes. Or... maybe it's something more sinister. A kidnapping plot, maybe? I would watch your back, Sulieman." I winks at him, and lean closer to Erin to mock whisper to her. "Almost everyone else is watching it already, of course."

I give her a moment to giggle and for Sulieman to splutter or preen as he desires, and lean back to look at Ray. The poor boy is about to explode. Excellent. It gives me a chance to work a few angles at once. I lean back in, and this time actually speak just for my seat mates. "I had a bit of a run in with Ray last period, and I think I should stay away from him a bit. I'm going to switch seats, okay? I'll see you two later on."

I stay long enough for them to comment, then cross the room back to Evie's seat and tap her on the shoulder, letting my hand linger a breath longer than strictly necessary. "Evie, would it be okay if I could switch seats with you today? I don't want to sit next to Ray right now." I pitch my voice low, but not so low than his enhanced hearing should miss it. I glance over in his direction, and lean in closer to speak into her ear, now quietly enough that even he shouldn't make it out. Close enough for her to feel my breath on it. So useful, something small like that, to be able to exhale. "And could you listen in to Erin and Sulieman for me? They know some interesting things about a hacking attempt yesterday, and maybe some other juicy gossip. Tell me all about it, and I'll do something special for you later."

I lean back and smile, tucking my hands behind me and tilting my head ever so slightly. "Thanks so much for helping me out."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Oct 6, 2014 around 00:41

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow

I squint at Edgar, overcome by a weird wave of disbelief.

"Paper... noises?"

Are you kidding me? You're complaining about the sound of paper?

"Don't you think that's a bit..." ridiculous? "unreasonable?"

"I mean, it used to be like- everyone would have this big, heavy textbook on their desk. So you'd always hear pages turning. And then everyone would each have to have a notebook, and they'd be writing in them all the time with pencils. And then some people might be highlighting, like-"

As I describe these things, my hands are mimicking the motions. When I get to the act of highlighting, though, I suddenly stop. How do you even describe the sound a highlighter makes? As I ponder the question, I am briefly left dumbfounded with my finger in mid-air like a pretend highlighter.

"It's like aaiiieeeeeeeee...," I do my best to make the noise a highlighter makes, but it feels like it's somewhere between the sound of screeching rubber and an animal in distress. "And you'd have the teacher writing on the chalkboard or whiteboard, and..."

I trail off, again. Where was I going with this? Oh, right. "What I'm saying is... does the sound of one book really bother you that much?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp 2+1/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food

Porter, you deserve nothing more than for me to jam this epoxy chair on that stupid haircut of yours! But...wasn't today's early class all about exactly this sort of situation? "Conflict resolution?" And wasn't this precisely the conflict that Chris and I had gone over? And Niviane and her partner, yes...Niviane's words still piss me off. I need to show that I can beat her at her own game, and dominate in mine. And maybe expressing my dominance without a single bullet coming out is just as good a sign as howling over a pile of bodies...not, actual bodies, just, you know, the expression of conquest! I "exhale" deeply. How had he said it...?

Chris Prasert posted:

"It seems like..." I say, trailing off for a second while I figure out the best way to phrase it. "like you kind of get in people's business a lot. Like just now before class. That kind of bugs me."

"So..." I begin, trying my best to follow his cadence. "so if I understand it...you dislike some aspect of me personally." I take a deep "breath" and narrow my eyes. "How, precisely, do I have a stick up my rear end?"

And how can I use it to beat you to a drat pulp and show that I won't be dominated by you...?

Hey, another tense issue! Just like the simulation earlier! Ray's gonna have a field day Holding Steady to stare down Porter!
[22:19:49] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[22:19:49] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 9-1 = 8
Let's ask the question "what's the best way to dominate Porter without actually drawing blood?" and take the condition Pissed Off


I can see the targeting algorithms locking on to Porter's stupid face, focusing on the eyes and throat as potential weak points. Oh, Porter, if you knew what I could do to you if I so chose, you'd be begging for mercy right now. Just begging for it. Beating you with the stick up my rear end would be a kindness...

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at Oct 7, 2014 around 05:25

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

ICE-MEIN


Everett
Harm: 0/4 || XP: 1/5 || Conditions: None

Everett enters a bit late, his thoughts roiling beneath the mental cross-comparisons, his repeated attempts to parse the data fields in his mind in a futile attempt to gain clarity. At the very least, he manages to achieve something adjacent to clarity, a state that can clarify with the right few pieces of data. And so, he turns his attention onto the room and finds chaos clawing forward once more, the discord of so many faces washing over him. He breathes deep and finds a place to steady himself, and pushes his way forward to his table, creating a discrete partition of the world by focusing on just his two table mates.

He eyes Steve for a moment, his attention lingering perhaps a bit longer than necessary, as something flares in his mind, something he can't quite put words to. Perhaps he's the one who did it, or perhaps other things are starting to move forward. He can't concentrate on it, though, as the shape moves and twists beneath his attempts to probe that cluster. So instead he turns his attention onto Suzy. She's much simpler for him to understand, at least in a case by case scenario. He pulls out his chair and slides down to sit. He then speaks, his voice unusually steady, "That's not a very good angle if you're looking to get everyone in the room. You may want to put it on a timer and get a better vantage point."

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: --

Evie just pouts. "Well...but...I like sitting here."

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 1 | Conditions:

For a long moment, I simply sit there. Bobby's weight is more an inconvenience than anything, owing to my superior construction - if anything can be said about my creator, it is that she spares no expense to make sure her work is perfect. Yet my social algorithms have kicked in the moment it happened, and my face is set in an appropriate mix of disgust and surprise.

"While I am sure your busy life leaves you with an unfortunate lack of possibilities to sleep at night, Bobby, I really would wish that if you must sleep in class you find some way to restrain yourself before you hurt somebody. Like me. Whose foot you are currently on." For once, my flat voice is a benefit, giving a measure of cold contempt to my words. "Please get up now."

At least I am seated with Yanelle as well. I find her own contemmpt for her past rather inspiring. She lives her own life, without regards for what her parents might wish or think, and rather successfully at that. If I could become closer acquainted with her, perhaps I can find what gives her that strength and use it for myself... or at the very least, have social improvement to show my creator.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


"It's just for one class," I cajole, leaning in closer again. "Can't you help me out just this once?"

I'll spend a String and give Evie an experience if she swaps seats!

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Oct 13, 2014 around 15:33

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Nivaine, Evie, George and Sujatha briefly stop squabbling to look at the pair of you. Then, they immediately lean in and start whispering to each other instead. How the worm turns.

"Who are you know such things, Chris?" says Edgar. "You speak as if you experienced them, and we all know that isn't true." He raises his nose. "I can't abide liars, or- HEY!" Adame snakes around and snatches her book back, scowling. Edgar turns his spleen on the easier target. "Seriously, if you're going to sit there and lie, why did they even let you in to this school? Did you fake your records, too?"

Ray, superimposed over Porter's face you see Private Donahugh, and all becomes clear.

Donahugh was a strange duck, in the military. He'd been an E-3 for ages, never managing to advance because of an inability to not upset his superiors, but always managing to hit that balance where kicking him out was not worth the effort. He was always antagonizing, getting into fights... and winning, seeing as he was probably the best unarmed combatant in the battalion. He seemed always happy/angry, an odd mix where he was never satisfied but always triumphant.

Then peacetime broke and Donahugh was actually deployed, on one of Ray's few combat trips. In real combat, his facade shattered. He was shipped home, Section 8, within weeks.

Like Donahugh, Porter is used to being the biggest, baddest person in a small pond. He's never truly known what it means to lose, or fear, or have to watch his every action.

Make him, snarls your hindbrain. Make him. Put the fear into him.

Everett, Suzy looks at you askance. "Why would I take your advice? You're weird. Like Steve. Why did I get sat with the weirdoes?!"

Steve fails to react. Suzy flops back into the seat, defeated, in a pout. "Seriously, someone like me should be with like... Yanelle, or Edgar. Someone cool."

Dorothy, Bobby wakes up at looks up at you. "Heh, sorry." His gaze is aimed... oh, for. He's trying to look up your skirt when a foot lands firmly on his face. "Bobby, that wasn't funny the first 4 times," mutters Yanelle. "Do it again and I'll make you lose teeth."

Bobby resumes his chair, holding the side of his face. "loving bitches..." Yanelle looks at you with sympathy, trying to share a moment.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp /5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off

You tiny little bitch, Porter! I'll bet you thought you were the leader of the pack when you first came here! Well, not anymore, buddy...

"Alright, Porter," I snarl. "Here's how this is going to go down. We're going to trade seats. I'll sit in your chair, and you can lie in your own epoxy for the period. Because if you don't..." I lean over the desk with my paws FINGERS tapping the surface. It would be really nice to slash up another desk to make my point... "I'm going to stand all day. And I'm going to be really tired at the end of it. So I'm going to sit. On you. For a while." I lean forwards even further, the groaning metal and plastics underneath emphasizing my weight. "You're not the top dog anymore, Porter. Choose. Now."

Is this Shut Someone Down or Manipulate an NPC? It sounds like the former (with the condition, say, Runt of the Pack) but also the latter (do what I say, and here is the threat). I'll roll 2d6 unmodified and let KPrime decide.
[22:19:57] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d5
[22:19:58] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 8 = 8
...I guess it doesn't matter either way!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at Oct 15, 2014 around 00:21

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: --

Okay *now* i'll take that XP.

Evie meeklyembarrassedlyhurriedly gathers up her things and scoots away without another word, scurrying over to sit with Erin and Sulieman. "So, um. H, hi."

Ningyou fucked around with this message at Oct 18, 2014 around 01:34

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

ICE-MEIN


Everett
Harm: 0/4 || XP: 1/5 || Conditions: None

Everett studies Suzy with a long gaze, eyes unblinking, posture stiff as he examines her further. And then a thought flairs to life in his mind, otherwise unbidden. A brief smile flows over his lips and he glances out over the crowd. "Well, here is the thing..." He leans in a bit closer to Suzy, but not too close. "I would like to be able to help you. I would like for you to make the most perfect selfie ever, while still capturing the spirit and essence of the entire classroom. If you follow my guidance, I think we can get something that would be positively amazing. Something that will stay at the top of your image gallery for all time..."

He then leans back, presence cool and collected, or at least affecting it. "Though, I would need to have a copy, for... personal uses." The innuendo does not register in his mind, instead he's thinking that with a proper photo, in the proper context, he might be able to trigger the memories in his head, bring those realizations about the potential to the forefront of his mind.

[00:25] <Meinberg> Rolling to Manipulate NPC
[00:26] <Meinberg> !roll 2d6-1
[00:26] <Krysmbot> Meinberg, 9-1 = 8

Everett would really like for that photo to be made and for him to get a copy, but he'll have to do what Suzy wants for him to get it.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 1 | Conditions:

A brief part of me wonders if my creator had anticipated this when she made me. She must have had to. People of all walks of life would see me and make a judgement. Some would see me as the odd duck, like many do. Some would watch with sympathy, as Yanelle, thinking me either incapable or ignorant of the ways of those who would see me with more malign intent. And some, like Bobby, would see me like they would see others. An object of desire. To be watched. Thought of. To be had. My physical specifications do not excel when it comes to appearance. After all, my primary objective was to blend in to the masses, not to lure with beauty. Yet because of that I am also not ugly, for the ugly are too easily reviled and cast out. I appeal, but do not amaze. I am slender, but a little fragile looking. My eyes are bright blue, and wide with innocence. I believe the closest appropriate word would be to call me "cute."

So to find Bobby pulling this stunt to glance under my skirt is simply a statistical inevitability. Sooner or later, one such as him would see me as they see others; A naive girl with appealing features who can be tricked and fooled into things they would otherwise not agree to, simply because they do not know any better.

Fortunately for me, I do know better. While it was perhaps not intentional upon my creation, I know too many ways to kill a human, something I glanced from the databases of my military-oriented brothers and sisters, the EXOUSIA models. But I can not, for my programming explicitly forbids it. I can only use said knowledge to scare and threaten, but even would be counterproductive to my objectives. So upon Yanelle's intervention I am pleased and relieved. I can rely on her violence instead of professing my own and breaking the programming.

"Thanks," I say after a minute, shuffling my seat a bit closer to her with a gentle smile, "so...he has done this before, huh?" I make no particular effort to hide my voice from Bobby, who has been ostracized enough for the moment. But this shared experience has given me an opportunity to enact my bonding algorithms and perhaps develop a relationship with Yanelle. "Although I do not know why he picked me. You are much prettier." Flattery is an efficient tool to grease the social gears, but it is not as simple as to simply say the right words. There has to be inflection and intention behind them to prove honesty. Empty words mean nothing.

So I provide said inflection and intention. It is easy enough to be honest; for Yanelle's appearance is much more appealing than my own, if only by statistical analysis and comparison of our features. "...so what are you listening to?" Leaving the conversation on an open question draws the participants in and gives them time to talk themselves, and if there is one thing I have learned so far, it is that people love to talk.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


"Thank you!" I manage to slip in as Evie scurries off. I slide into the vacated seat and smile at George and Sujatha. "So, good morning."

I have accomplished what I aimed to do, but it seems I may well be spending the rest of the class period on damage control - or perhaps not. I must consider that angle... I am not sure if she realizes I've noticed her interest, her hidden glances and shy approaches. A very useful hold to have, but one that must be put into play carefully. The others in our program may lack the awareness to notice it, but these humans will not fail to. In fact, they would make up something out of rumor and speculation anyways. Should I put some truth to their fevered imaginings? Will Evie do more for me if she is still chasing, or if she's guilty for having caught me?

Best to engage these two while I consider which options provide the most advantage. I reach up and adjust my cap, so casually unconscious.

"What's this about hats?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow


gently caress you, Edgar.

"Oh, shut up." The words come out like a reflex. "You have no idea what you're even talking about. No loving idea."

I look him in the eye, disdainfully. God, even the sight of him feels exhausting. I want to say more. Just tell him to gently caress off. Go gently caress himself. An image pops into my mind, of me grabbing him by the collar and shoving him against the wall. I am not a loving liar, Edgar!

I blink, and the imaginary thought disappears. That would be a pretty stupid thing to do. I'm not sure if I would have the strength to even do that, anyway. Throwing a fit right now just wouldn't be worth it. It's not like his words mean anything. Really.

"Just-" I just don't want to deal with this bullshit. "Give it a rest."

Then I sigh, and turn away. "Jesus..."

Shutting Edgar down:
<Takanago> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 12+1 = 13
I'll give him the condition 'Idiot'.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Ray

Porter stares at you for a minute. So does everyone nearby, really. There's a moment of bated breath in the classroom.

Then Porter laughs. There's something no one has heard before in it- it's the nervous laughter of someone no longer sure of their place, not Porter's cruel guffaw. "Relax, mate... it's already dried by now." He shifts into it. "See? No trouble. You take poo poo too seriously." There's barely noticeable fear in his eyes, but you notice. Oh, do you notice. Prey.

Everyone else also looks afraid. Not that that's stopping Suzy from snapping a picture, but nothing stops her from doing that.

Condition placed. You get condition Scary Monster

Evie

Erin and Sulieman recover quickly. "Um, hi Evie! So...." Erin leans in with a huge grin on her face. "What does that girl have on you, huh?" Behind her, Sulieman waggles his eyebrows, though his gaze is still aimed at Ray.

Everett

Steve is one of the few who appears to have ignored the commotion, but now he rouses. "Seriously, man? I thought you were cool. Don't encourage her." Suzy shoves a hand in his face. "SHH! Ok, so, I have the b-e-s-t idea- meet me outside when period is over!" She pauses. "That sounded less gross in my head. Was that gross for you? Whatever. Point is, be there, ok? Um, though, for right now..." She points downward. "Hold me up!"

Behind her, Steve holds his face with his hand. "Youg hib my nose!"

Dorothy

Bobby visibly flinched when Ray hit the table, and now he's trying to scurry as far back into the corner as space and bulk will allow. What a chicken.

Bobby gets condition Big Coward

Yanelle raises an eyebrow at you. "Honey, if you're offerin', I'm interested." She giggles. "I'm listening to Sphahi. They're a post-punk rap group. Want a listen?" She offers the headphones.

Nivaine

George and Sujatha are still whispering, this time about Ray and Porter. You catch a few phrases as you walk up - "Dangerous and uncouth, the both of them" "How'd they even get in" "What is this, the prison yard?"

Both jerk a little when you ask them your question. They immediately turn away from each other and pout, though they're not fooling anyone. "He said my hat was stupid!" "IT IS STUPID!"

Chris

Edgar looks between you and Ray, clearly unable to decide which of you is more of a terrifying boor. He adjusts his tie with a frown. Then, he turns away. "A raised voice and vulgarity are the resort of someone with nothing to say." He's lost, and he knows it. Adame smiles at you, a little warily. "Um... do you know what's up with Ray?"

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: --

I shrink back, stammering and flailing and gesturing. I shouldn't say anything. I shouldn't. But it's so hard, lying and hiding and pretending that oh, it's nothing~, Dr. Keltham never taught me how to...

"I--"

"She--"

"Noth, nothing! Really. It's nothing." I smile. Humans do that, right? They smile. They smile all the *time*. They smile when they're happy, they smile when they're sad, they smile when they...when they don't want to talk about this, EV-13. Y-yes. So I'll smile too.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp /5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster

Yes...yes, good, Porter. Learn your place. Beneath me. I take the seat that was once his and sit down on it, keeping my eyes on Porter's the whole time. Let the whole classroom learn their place. Especially Niviane. I can see her moving away already. She fears me. Very good.

"I'm sure I do, Porter," I respond nonchalantly. It's good to be top dog. Let them fear me, as long as they know where they stand. "But for now, you sit in your own mess."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow


As soon as I see that look on Adame's face, I turn a little bit in my chair and put her and Edgar in my peripheral vision. A memory of a disgusting taste runs up the back of my throat.

What was even the point? Why did I just go and open my mouth like that? Why can't you just have a normal conversation? Even Adame thinks you're weird now.

And she's asking you a question.

"Um..." I try to say something while I figure out what to actually say.

Because he's being a robot.

The words feel almost like they're right about to come out of my mouth. Almost. But really, it feels more like they're stuck. Like they're lodged behind this big lump in my throat. You know you can't just say that.

"Uh..." I sigh, like I'm putting a lot of thought into this, then I turn to look back at Adame, like this is a normal conversation. "I... don't know." Then, habitually, I look down at the book in her hands. It's easier than continuing eye contact. And it's practically the same, isn't it?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


"The two of you are just too precious by half." I put my chin in my cupped hands, elbows on the desk.

I casually twist a lock of hair that peaks out from under my own cap. "Did you two hear? Something happened over the weekend apparently."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 1 | Conditions:

"Sure, I would like that," I reply, retaining my gentle smile as I take the proffered headphonest and place it upon my head. What greets me is an aggresive, yet still smooth and melodious harmony of hard instruments and quick voices. I have not heard of the group before - which is no big surprise, as I do not partake in music much, and what I do listen could not be further thematically removed from this Sphahi group. But somehow it is still rather appealing. I close my eyes for a moment and focus on the words that pass by like flashes of light, swift and decisive. They encourage freedom, self-determination, and less than no respect for authority. Things that would make my life better, if not necessarily easier. But is it not the hard things that are, in the end, the most satisfactory?

I snap back to attention when I realize Yanelle is trying to convey a message. Taking off the headphones agan and handing it back to her, I look apologetic. "I am sorry, what did you want to say? I liked the music, and did not realize you had said something until just now."

  • Locked thread