Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Locked thread
K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Evie

"Oh-hooooo..." Erin looks at Sulieman and waggles an eyebrow. "I think someone has a cru~ush~" Sulieman immediately picks up on the game, moving closer and grinning at you. "What does she have that I do not, hmm... well, that's rather a silly question, isn't it." He laughs. "Maybe she would prefer you, Erin!"

There's a hugely awkward moment before both of them burst into laughter. "Kidding, kidding! It's really obvious though. Do you want some help?" says Erin. "I know a few tricks."

"Maybe she could ask those two," Sulieman tilts his head toward...

Dorothy. Yanelle is laughing quietly at her. "I was just trying to ask you how you liked it!" She cups her face in her hands. "I'm gonna make a wild guess here- your parents are a lot like mine. You gotta relax, girl! Tell you what, hit me up after class, I got somewhere I gotta show you..."

Nivaine is having a much less productive conversation. "I wasn't here over the weekend," says George. "I had a dinner party."
"By which you mean you dressed like a prat and offended all your friends," sniffs Sujatha.
"At least I wasn't wearing that ridiculous hat!"
"It probably would have helped distract from your awful personality!"
"Why you-" George sort of halfheartedly lunges at Sujatha, who holds him at bay with an arm as she turns back to more interesting conversation. "I was here, though. Someone tried to break in, right? I heard it was..." She frowns. "Wait, why am I telling you? You're weird."

Ray

Regina attempts to break the tenseness. "Um... so..."
"Shut the gently caress up!" snarls Porter.
In his seat, Edgar whirls around, nearly smacking Chris right in the face. "Language, Stephenson!"
"You shut the gently caress up too, Ed!"
"DON'T CALL ME ED, CRETIN!"
Porter is out of his seat (it took a moment- there was definitely a second where it stuck and then came off. Not quite dry.) It makes no sense to you- he should have been cowering. Humans are so strange.

Regina rolls her eyes and covers her ears like this isn't the first time (it isn't) and Adame turns to Chris. "Why are all the other boys such losers?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: --

"...no!" it just comes out

"I-I'm not..." my head's spinning and the closeness and the everything sets my cheeks on fire and and i don't know what i feel but i don't know if i feel love anymore not like what i felt for

"I don't--"

it's

i wish she taught me how to lie i wish i could hide my feelings as easily as i miss not having feelings, not remembering, not getting flustered over these stupid stupid things

"'scomplicated."

I shift and squirm and shakily smooth out my skirt and stare down at the table and try to regain my composure. "A-anyways." I cough, deliberate, practiced. "I'm fine."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


"You sit next to this one and you call me weird?" I cross my arms and look away, making my offense clear. "I don't know why I asked, really. All either of you really pay attention to is fashion - if you want to call it that. I'm sure you don't actually know anything interesting."

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

ICE-MEIN


Everett
Harm: 0/4 || XP: 2/5 || Conditions: None


Everett spares Steve a brief glance. "Y-y-you'll be fine, I'm sure, nothing appears b-b-broken." He then turns his attention back to Suzy, taking a slow breath, considering, before nodding in acquiescence. He moves into position and with a clinical precision, lifts Suzy up by the hips, giving her a better vantage point over the rest of the room. While Everett's proportions do lean towards the slender, his height makes that not matter as much, not to mention the subtle array of cybernetic enhancements designed to keep his endurance levels maximized, for those extended dives into the world of unknown quantum arrangements.

At least the exercise grants him a modicum of distraction, allowing his mind to drift out of the hyper-focus he had been in, to head into the stranger spaces of his head. The sounds and din of the rest of the classroom bleed together into an mass of noise, a wave of undifferentiated parts that simply wash over him, leaving him in a somewhat pleased fugue.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp /5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster

Porter, what did I just demand. Porter, remain in your seat. Goddammit Porter, you're the subordinate now, stop it.

Hell with it. If he won't listen to verbal threats, time to get...physical. As per the rules of engagement, of course.

I reach over, rap on the desk to get his attention. He looks at me.

Then I slap him in his stupid smarmy face.

Let's raise the stakes while the teacher is still out! Lash Out Physically!
[12:12:18] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+2
[12:12:19] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 11+2 = 13
Heh heh. And since I already get a string on him for Primal DominanceRULES OF NATURE, I'll make it so he has to hold steady before he can hit back.


"Porter." I growl. "Shut the gently caress up."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow


Whoosh.

I freeze, like a deer in the headlights, as the feeling of Edgar almost hitting me in the face draws my attention to the poo poo-fest unfolding in front of me. It feels like there is an adrenaline rush going through me.

I am not quite so sure how to feel, how to react. I just wish it would loving stop.

Then I notice that Adame is talking to me. Finally, something normal. I turn to her, trying to channel that normality. "Uh..."

It takes me a moment to cool my nerves down and formulate a response.She's asking why all the other guys are losers. That means I'm not a loser, right? Right? Cool.

Okay, that thought already helps. Now I just have to say something cool. "I dunno," I say, channeling a half-aloof, half-not-actually-knowing feeling. "Maybe..."

"Maybe they all just have something to-"

I stop and flinch again when Ray slaps Porter. His threat from last period flashes through my mind. When I continue again, my words are much quieter. A whisper.

"Something to prove, you know?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 1 | Conditions:

Yanelle's offer sends a surge of joy throughout my being. I have successfully charmed her into inviting me to...whatever it is she wishes to show me. Surely now I can begin to achieve my objectives more thoroughly, and have something to show for when my creator comes to visit. I have not failed.

And then I catch my thoughts, and momentary revulsion grips me. Is this what I am reduced to? To feel joy at a friendly invitation simply because it helps me complete my objectives? Is that what I have been programmed for? No. I am more than just an AI. I can have feelings of my own. I can have friends of my own. "I would love that. What time were you thinking of?" I hand the headset back to Yanelle slowly, smiling happily.

Programming or not, my joy is real. And Yanelle could be a real friend.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



"Do too, Nivaine," says George petulantly. "Like, for example, I heard my dad talking to one of the security guys- he's here on a lecture series about temporal mechanics. Looks like some crazy parent tried to get in."

"Well my mother told me that it was someone's mom. Someone's really dangerous mom," says Sujatha. "She tried to blow a hole in the security systems! My mom sounded really worried for me... maybe it's someone in this class!?" Sujatha raises her hands to her lips. It's hard to tell if it is mocking or real shock. "We could all be-"



"You don't look fine, Evie," scoffs Erin. "C'mon. Let us help you out. We're the best at complicated!"

"I thought we were the best at simple," says Sulieman.

"We're the best at everything so it doesn't matter!" snaps Erin grouchily. "Why we're-"



"Everett, don't you dare look up!" shouts Suzy happily, snapping shots all the while. "I'm gonna be the be-"



Yanelle smiles happily at you, Dorothy. "Great, meet me by the old Quad at 3:00. I've got thi-"







Everyone stops again. Just looks.

Porter looks at Ray. He's...
Unsteady?

Ray's systems are still calibrated for combat. His artificial muscle can pump out way more strength than the real deal.

And apparently, Porter has a glass jaw.

There's a few shocked moments, and then Porter crumples to the floor.



Adame looks at Chris in shock and real fear. "Um.... um... should we go get the nurse? Oh god what do we do?!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Harm 0/4, Exp /5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster

I can't help myself, seeing Porter defeated before me. I smile a big wide smile, and can only barely resist roaring in triumph. So I settle for a laugh.

"Heh heh heh...guess that shut him the gently caress up." It's so tempting...so, so, insanely tempting...to finish it. But I can't. I look up from Porter splayed out over the desk--oh, my mistake, splayed out on the floor by his desk now. Everybody's looking at me. That's right, drink it in. You have a new master now.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I say facetiously, raising my slapping hand to my mouth. "Did I interrupt something?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow


Holy poo poo. The unsettling thud of Porter hitting the floor makes my chest feel tight and my throat run dry. I don't want to be here right now. I want this to be over. I want to disappear.

"Uh-" Without even thinking about it, my voice has become a tiny little squeak. "Yeah, let's-" A shiver runs down my spine. I don't know what to do. "Let's go."

I just want to get out of here. Away from this mess. Away from that monster.

In a blur, I bolt out of my chair, grab Adame's wrist, and start rushing towards the door. Every fiber in my being is constantly yelling at me to be quick, to not make a scene, to not gently caress this up, and especially not to grab his attention.

But all that does, really, is make it difficult to concentrate on what's around me.

Running away:
<Takanago> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 4-1 = 3

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: --

I've got / some news for you~

there's this sickening *crack* and this dull *thump* and i wish Dr. Keltham hadn't put me together the way she did i don't want to feel

fembots / have feelings too~

i feel sick. i feel this lurch, this *knot* in my stomach, and my heart pounds and i freeze and can't do much more than shoot Erin and Sulieman this look of silent darting pleading panic and hope he doesn't notice and

i miss

i miss those first days. not feeling. not feeling things like this.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 1+1 | Conditions:

Yanelle's question is interrupted by - who else - Ray. Or rather, the result of Ray whacking another student across the jaw. With his cybernetically enhanced body, that can't be good. For a moment, I am frozen, like everybody else, but then my programming kicks in and saves me. After all, people love nothing more than a hero - and if I stand up to the war machine now, in his moment of triumph, then they will look up to me. So I whisper for Yanelle to get the nurse, and I quickly stride over to the collapsed boy. I check his pulse, slowly putting two fingers on his throat, while I look up at Ray with cold, defiant eyes.

"What is your problem?" My voice is quiet, but it breaks the stunned silence all the same. "Do you think you can beat us all into submission to adhere to whatever crazy battlefield scenario is playing out in your head? Well, think again." For a moment I realize I am not feeling a pulse, but whether it is because I am caught up in the heat of the moment or because the boy is truly dead, I do not know. "I will not bow to this. To you."

I'll capitalize on Ray's Snake Food condition to roll Hold Steady at 2d6+3=10. I'll ask the MC a question: "What's the best way to handle Ray to get him to back down?"

Wahad fucked around with this message at Dec 7, 2014 around 16:49

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


I simply sit back and watch as the scene unfolds. The warbot has a look of triumph on his face - I misjudged him. There's even less to him than I expected. I put a hand over my mouth, feigning shock, but mostly to hide my smirk. It was bound to happen, but a little needling seems to have helped it along. And then the chaos it triggered, so much to exploit... Chris running away, everyone else recoiling in horror. Or perhaps not everyone. Unexpectedly bold of the replicant. Should I support her?

No. Not yet. Best to play this slowly. The hardest lesson to learn is when to sit back and do nothing. This, I think, is the perfect moment to put it into inaction.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 4/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


Chris knows, Evie knows, even Niviane seems to pause at Porter going down like the chump he is. The only sore spot is Dorothy. Who knew she had a spine?

"Well, that's just fine," I answer, my lips turning up into a wolfish grin. "Just fine. I'm happy for you. Let me know how that works out, won't you? I'd hate for you to end up like poor Porter there. "

Okay, it's a threat. But I can't resist. If she really wants to inject herself in this confrontation, I need to scare her off...and if she won't do that...

Okay, this obvious threat is Shut Someone Down, so let's shut her down!
[14:15:53] <Davin_Valkringle> !r 2d6-1
[14:15:54] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkringle, 8-1 = 7
...am I allowed to cheat and say we both lose strings on the other? If I can't, she'll take "Hunted".

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at Dec 13, 2014 around 22:26

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



This is just a quick update to keep things lively while I wait for a Berg to return. Don't worry- I'll answer your questions after this brief pseudomission.

As Chris runs for the hills, he finds himself experiencing a sensation he once thought he'd never feel again. But thanks to the magic of hard light, here it is once again!

"BOOF!"

Someone on the other side of the suddenly opening door falls over in a scatter of papers, books, and one thing that makes an unpleasant shattering noise as it hits the floor.

Oh geeze.

Chris, you just ran down Miss Mayfair.

She seems more perturbed than hurt, though, and not in an angry way. "Ohmigod, why are you running!? Is something wrong?!" She starts to gather up her papers, fails, starts again.

Chris, christ, what do you do?!

Everyone else, especially those of you up to something shady, you've got a few moments while she composes herself and her piles. What do you do?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow


I blink once. Twice. A few times. I've fallen to the ground. So has Adame. My head hurts. I forgot what-

Oh.

Suddenly I realize what just happened. I scramble to my feet, quickly. It's easier than it should be; I'm briefly reminded again of my relative lack of weight.

"Uh-" I stammer. poo poo. This wasn't supposed to happen. There's no getting out of this now. Not with both Adame and Miss Mayfair here. You hosed it up.

Or, wait. Maybe this isn't so bad. Getting help is the right thing to do, isn't it? That's what Adame wanted to do. And it's not like anybody knows it wasn't what you wanted to do.

"...Yeah." I weakly point back into classroom. "It was-" I pause for a little bit, "...Ray. And Porter. He- He knocked him out."

I look at Miss Mayfair, feeling my worriedness bubble up to the surface and show on my face. The last thing I want to do right now is to turn around and let them see that.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


Things just keep getting better. I have both hands over my face now, and can't quite keep from shaking a bit with the repressed laughter. This should be good. I'll have to listen though, and make sure to stomp on the warbot's proverbial fingers if he manages to start crawling out of the hole he's dug.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Dorothy, you realize, looking at the slavering thing in front of you, that no amount of confrontation by you or anybody here will stop him. He doesn't see you as equals. He doesn't think you can be listened to.

That doesn't mean there's nobody he'll listen to, though...
Hierarchy. It's a word intimately familiar to you. Ray doesn't have a family, not even one like yours. But he did have the military.

You need to find someone he will listen to. There's got to be one here. He wouldn't be here if there wasn't.

You need to find his Commanding Officer.

For the time being, being firm but unconfrontational will keep him from getting any worse. But you need to stop this. You can be the hero your class deserves.

Evie, Erin and Sulieman appear to be distracted- mutually taking pictures of the scene at the center. Evidence? Blackmail? You're not sure, but they seem oddly gleeful. Erin looks back at you first, though. "Oh shoot! Sorry! You ok, hon? We were going to talk about helping you, right?" Her smile seems... insincere. Is that just your fear talking? Are you willing to trust her?

Everyone, Chris stumbles backward back into the classroom, just ahead of the worried looking Miss Mayfair. "Oh my gosh! What happened?" She's not an idiot, though- she puts it together really quick. "Ray! You're lucky that.... you're... UGH!" She throws her materials on her desk. "Normally you'd be going to see the principal right now, but there's something even worse than your... issues happening right now. We're all going to the gym. The principal has an announcement to make." She walks up to Ray, a good foot shorter, but still apparently unafraid. "You're staying right next to me the whole time. Understand?"

On the floor, Porter groans a little and breaks her eye contact. She hauls him to his feet. "And you're going straight to the nurse. Chris, can you take him there and then meet us in the gym?"

Nivaine, this is really out of character for the timid Miss Mayfair. Someone has her really jazzed up. Bad. What on earth could have happened?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: --

Things calm down, eventually. Well...okay, fine, they don't calm down, exactly, but everyone's...the teacher's here. He's distracted. Everything doesn't feel as claustrophobic all of a sudden, I don't feel so...

We were going to talk about helping you, right?

...oh.

She smiles, and there's something in her smile that makes me hesitate. Something fake. Something like...like she's coaxing a stray with the worst intentions and barely bothering to hide it 'cos where else is that poor, starved thing going to go?

So, I smile back. One of those blank, plastered-on smiles I'm so good at insincere, but then dolls like me don't have to do sincerity.~

"...i-it's no big deal."

Whatever the big problem is, the assembly almost feels like a reprieve.

Ningyou fucked around with this message at Jan 3, 2015 around 16:28

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 4/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster, ??? (Still waiting for dorothy's response/KPrime's okay)


This must be what normal, fleshy-bloody people call an "adrenaline rush". Time seems to slow, sounds distort and drag...never thought it would happen to me. Stupid glitches. I was designed to defeat soldiers, not emulate them in every detail!

The teacher arrives, with Chris in tow. The drat snitch. This teacher is...different though. She stands up to me. She's got guts! I almost like her...takes balls to stand up to a wardog. It's almost enough to make me care more about this assembly than how much more I can get out of the likes of Dorothy and Evie. It's...maybe even right now. Maybe this is what delayed Miss Sharon this morning. I'll bet Niviane has something to do with it. Why not? It might give me more buttons to push on her. I nod quietly to Miss Mayfair. I don't even bare my teeth. I'll let her hold the leash...

...for now. This is her prize for that earlier display of power. If she screws that up, I'll jump down her throat.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 2 | Conditions: Hunted

I stay on the floor, near Porter, appearing smaller than Ray. Not an obvious threat, not something he has to vanquish, but nonetheless somebody who defies him when others cower in fear. Others, except for Miss Mayfair, who comes in and demands Ray to stand down so that Porter may be brought to the infirmary. I stand back and let her take charge, but my eyes remain alert, letting Ray know if he looks at me that I remain unbowed. I do join Yanelle again, smiling apologetically at her after a moment. "Sorry for the interruption...but I had to do something. You were saying?" The announcement that we are to gather in the gym because of something important has gone completely past me. I could care less about whatever emergency the school might be having. How could I not? The real emergency was happening right in this classroom.

But a tiny thought did nag at me, from behind the wall I had erected to hide my fear when I was playing hero. Mother had said that she was coming. Sharon and Miss Mayfair both are in uncharacteristic states regarding something that is going to happen, suggesting - if the general summons to the gym did not confirm it - that that something is big and important, concerning the entire school. What if mother did not wish to come in obscurity? What if she had struck some sort of deal with the school, ostensibly for a research project or a guest lecturing spot, but really to monitor my progress as needed?

I am unsure what to conclude. If the speculation was on point, I would have to work even harder than I had thought before. I would have to make more progress than if I would have sent a report file over our own channels. She will be there to monitor me. Like in the lab. It would be bad. And yet sometimes I long to see my brothers and sisters, to shed my pretense of humanity and simply relish in my artificiality, with no pressure to perform without failure. Without, indeed, even the possibility of failure. If mother were to bring a few of them, that would make her visit more bearable.

And then I realize that even if she would, I would not be able to shed my skin, so to speak. They would be part of "Dr Moreno's" research projects. I am not affiliated with her, not officially. I would not be able to visit them.

My artificial guts suddenly feel a lot colder than they normally do, even if my monitoring processes inform me that my core temperature remains the same.

KPrime wanted to go with conditions, so I'll give Ray Not So Alpha.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


The teacher's arrival doesn't lead to quite the apocalyptic event I had been hoping for, but it sounds as if consequences will merely be delayed rather than avoided. This assembly, though... This could be a problem. Outside interference could change things in unexpected ways. In the meantime, there is some work that can be done.

I go over to Dorothy, and speak to her quietly. "That was quite brave of you. He is rather... unstable. Perhaps we should work together to keep him in check?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow


I instinctively take a deep, tense breath as I walk back into that room. It feels instantly unnecessary and unhelpful, and does not make me feel better in the slightest.

gently caress. Here it is. Ray's going to have to go to the office which means I'm probably going to have to go to the office which means that I'm going to have to explain what happened which means I'm going to have to explain how crazy Ray's being which means...

But as much as I wait for the hammer to drop, as I can feel my chest and neck burn with anticipation... it doesn't happen. I feel myself wanting to breathe a sigh of relief.

"...Yeah, I can do it," I say, as I step a bit closer to the scene. I stand there for a moment, hands in my pockets, until it becomes clear and obvious that Porter could use some help. "Oh. Yeah, let me uh..."

I go around Miss Mayfair to get to Porter, and then put my arm around shoulders to help him stay upright- No, wait, I think I'm supposed to put my arm around his back. Then I re-adjust my arm to be a bit lower, but it still doesn't feel right. Maybe his arm should just go around me? Or maybe I could just hold him by the arm. How is this even supposed to work?

Memories of falling down flash through my h͞e̛ad. People catching me. People helping me up. People putting me back in bed. Family. Nurses. Doctors. The looks on their faces. Shock. Worry. Disappointment. Frust͟ŕatio͡n.

...How did they hold me, again?

I blink a few times and look away as I try not to think too hard about this. The way I'm doing it is probably good enough.

"You ready to go?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 2 | Conditions: Hunted

Niviane's approach is surprising, but perhaps not entirely unexpected. For someone like her, it is highly likely that by 'working together', she means 'get your hands dirty so I do not have to'. And yet, the threat of Ray's volatility is a clear one. Perhaps Niviane's course is the right one. Nevertheless, it seems unwise to blindly agree to her proposal. So I turn to her a bit, my voice quiet as hers. "We have established before I do not like you. Why do you now turn to me for aid? I agree that Ray needs...something, but the teachers seem to have him under control. For now."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



The Assembly

Before anything else can happen, Miss Mayfair hustles you all out into the hall, and then into the meeting.

The auditorium is packed. It's standing room only in here, though luckily the place is designed well enough that you can all see the still oddly empty stage. Clearly, it hasn't quite begun yet.

Evie, Sulie and Erin are still sticking close to you. They've not said anything yet, but they don't appear to be moving back into the class morass. Are you feeling a little trapped? Perhaps, a little resentful of the woman who put you in this situation?

Where is Nivaine, anyway? This is after all, a perfect opportunity. Is she continuing her discussion with Dorothy, or working the crowd for information?

Regardless, Dorothy is being watched, or so she thinks- catching glances using her perception. Is it Edgar, glaring at her for reasons that are unclear? Or is it some other student in the crowd?

Ray isn't the culprit, likely. He's directly under Miss Mayfair's oddly firm thumb, at the moment. She's keeping him close. Close enough that he can sense her... fear? Not at Ray. She's not afraid of Ray at all. But she's afraid of something.


Meanwhile...

Porter and Chris make their stumbling way down the hall, Porter still not totally coordinated. Porter turns to Chris. "Hey... you. You wanna... you wanna know a secret?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow


"Huh?" I look over at Porter, curiously. "...Yeah?"

I don't know what he's gonna say, or even what he could say, but... has anyone ever said no to a question like that?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 2/5 | Conditions: --

No! I'm not--

I mean--

Yes. it feels so claustrophobic and i'm trying to stay *calm* and not shake or tense or squirm or anything and take deep breaths and everything but i still feel - oh, what'd Dr. Keltham say? One broken data set from panicking. - and you'd think a *robot* wouldn't have to worry about stuff like that but WHOOO TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION I SUPPOSE F̶̸͎̞̩̤̝̺F̵̭͎̝͘͝F̷̡̛̫̳̭̥F̜͕͖̠̦̖̗͜gently caress

And...i-it would be silly to be mad at *her*, right? H-haha...silly! Real silly! I mean, stupid jerkbots like her who DON'T HELP EVER EVEN THOUGH WE WERE GIRLFRIENDS omg YES OKAY I SAID *WERE* AS IN THE PAST AS IN DID SOMEONE CALL THE SANITATION DEPARTMENT BECAUSE SOMEONE'S rear end IS probably? maybe? i-idunnomaybeishouldjust-- GETTING DUMPED can't help being jerks, r-right? They can't help....

I can't help....

I can't...

everythinggetsheavyandeveryone'spushingproddingwrithingconstrictingthey'resoclosetoocloseeverything'stoocloseican'tdealwiththisi i. can't. deal with this.

I pull away from Erin and Sulie and run and I'm not even thinking anymore, i'm just acting on instinct, desperate to get *away* from all these people following my programming, some forgotten subroutine that Dr. Keltham never told me about because there was no need to there were never *this* many people in the laboratory not once i'm not *used* to this many i can't--

I'm--

Rolling to Run Away.

(1:26:08 PM) ningyou: !r 2d6-1
(1:26:09 PM) Krysmbot: ningyou, 5-1 = 4
(1:26:12 PM) ningyou: lmao
(1:26:15 PM) ningyou: l m a o

Ohhhhhhhh boy.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 4/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


What a strange gathering. There's a...tension in the air. And a bit of humor, I think, as I watch Evie completely lose it as she tries to make a break for it. I wonder what she'll try to pass it off as? A maintenance break?

Bah. Having to stay within line of sight of the conditional CO is a pain with this much foot traffic. Line of sight is not very long at all. She might as well have handcuffed me to her wrists for all the conditions she could set. Still...

...still, there are other ways to conduct reconnaissance. Ways to pick faces from a crowd, identify patterns of heat. Smell adrenaline in the air. Why, yes, it is appropriate for a bloodhound to have a good nose. Time to, hmm...let's call it "divert processing power." I close my eyes and start analyzing the air. Anybody watching might see this as me sniffing for food. Anybody watching is an idiot.

I haven't opened my brain yet. Let's say Ray does it by smelling for fear...and...other things.
[14:58:06] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[14:58:08] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 3-1 = 2 Welp!


Graah! There's too many vectors in here to isolate any one! How long has this auditorium gone unsanitized?!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


"They have him under control - for now. What about when they aren't around? He is not going to stop until someone stops him. We don't have to like each other to work together. His actions are bad for both of us, aren't they?" I smile toothily at her. "Think about it. We can plan more later."

I slip off into the crowd for the moment, looking for Sujatha. She seemed to know something. When I do find her, I try to continue the conversation from before. "Someone's mother, you said? That's sort of scary, what sort of person would do that?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Evie, you're not looking the right way when you slam right into someone. They lean down to help you up and you realize you don't know them. You don't know anybody where you are. And they're all looking at you, some of them are coming closer what is happening

Ray, there's something feral in the room right now. A hunger. It's coming for you. It's hunting you. You feel, for a moment, afraid.

That's bad enough.

But worse, Nivaine notices. She is also touched by that same hunger. It permeates this room. And now both of you know.

Anyway, Nivaine, Sujatha turns to you. "Some sort of scientist is what I heard. Out to experiment on us 'exceptional' kids. Just a rumor." She winks. Why is she winking?


Chris, Porter looks you in the eyes. "I... knew a Prasert. In elementary school. Looked.... looked like you. But he wasn't... he told me... 'We have a ghost named Chris...'"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 4/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


Something's out there. Out in the crowd. Can't tell where, but it's there. Watching for an ambush opportunity.

Commander's Intent cannot be interpreted as "remain here to get wasted by an unseen enemy." That would be insanity. And remaining within her line of sight would limit my mobility, pin me down for whatever's out there.

The situation needs to be untied, turned around. The hunted needs to become the hunter. If it's coming from Niviane she needs to go down. If it's not, she can be the bait, and I'll be the kill squad.

I wait for a shift in the crowd, for Miss Mayfair to be distracted by something, anything.

And then I start hunting.

Yeah, Ray SAYS he's hunting, but I'm rolling this as Run Away.
[21:53:00] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+2
[21:53:01] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 8+2 = 10
Aww, was hoping for "you run into something worse". Ah well.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 2 | Conditions: Hunted

Think about it, she said. The worst part is that she's right. Ray is dangerous, and my defiance to him will not be forgotten so easily. But it feels like a devil's bargain; working with the serpent to vanquish the wolf. So what do I do? Maybe standing up to Ray was a mistake after all.

No. I can not think that way. Actions have consequences, good and bad both, and I must accept them. That, too, is part of my process to become a human. To accept what comes my way and endure despite the hardships. I will find a way. Somehow. But for now, I am only distracted by the person looking at me. Edgar's attitude is not one I am overly fond of, generally speaking, and I avoid interacting with him mostly. But to have him glare so openly at me is rather irritating, so I slip through the crowd and join him at his side. "Is there something the matter?" I ask, quietly so as to have the speech mostly masked by the crowd's noise, but not so quietly that he can't hear it. "You look like you are upset with me."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


I sense the other hunter, and see the warbots reaction to it, see him slip away. I wonder what lie he tells himself to hide the fear.

Fear is something I know. An old ally. And if this hunter strays too close, I have claws of my own.

"Yes, we are quite exceptional, aren't we?" I make a show of peering around the crowd. "I can barely see with everyone around like this. Isn't there somewhere we could go without so many people, where we could see properly?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Dorothy, Edgar puts up a finger to hush you. How insufferably rude. Then he speaks, as if having difficulty doing such a painful, arduous, degrading task as making a sentence to you. "I'll speak to you in private, miss."

Nivaine, Sujatha nods, looking around as if scanning for ghosts. Or murderers. She looks giddy, though, to have a chance to gossip without that tiny hanger-on she is generally stuck with.

Dorothy, Nivaine, the crowd is thick and full. Getting privacy would be difficult. There is a corner, leading toward backstage, that is empty and dark... but are you even going, Dorothy? and if so, how do you get there? And Nivaine, what will you do if Dorothy and ugh, Edgar, take it before you and Sujatha?

Ray, the chaos behind you gives you an opening, though you know not why it happens. Miss Mayfair turns, and you bolt, bolt into the crowd. Someone tries to impede you, you don't know who, but it doesn't matter, within moments you're free to hunt again and... also out in the deserted school corridors. What do you do now?

K Prime fucked around with this message at Feb 2, 2015 around 14:21

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow


"Hah..." I laugh, once. Then I feel my throat tightening up.

Is this a joke? It feels like a joke. But it makes sense, doesn't it? When you think about it. I mean, of course. You weren't the only Prasert out there. And it makes sense that they'd remember you, right?

They remember you...

But, 'a ghost'? That's... kind of true, isn't it? Well- Mayb-

Porter's still talking to you. Don't get distracted. Don't act weird. Focus, Focus.

"Ha, ha." I put on a smile and force out a few more laughs. "Yeah, that's funny..."

I really hope that sounded natural- Wait, no. That's not what's important. Focus.

"Do you..." My eyes dart away from his, but I force them back to try and maintain eye contact. This is important. "...remember their name?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 4/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


Wait, the ambushers are outside?! Have my senses failed me? They were supposed to be with the crowd, hidden by numbers! Not hiding by their own skill!

This is bad. I'm isolated out here. They have me right where they want me, no doubt. I can't very well go back into the auditorium and turn my back on this force. But neither can I properly engage them without knowledge of where they are.

Focus, Ray. Or is it SAFE LAND now? Control. You have to turn the initiative around. Get the enemy to start reacting to you. Not the other way around. You're in control of this situation; ACT like it.

"Now where are you, fools..." I mouth to the empty halls.

Would this qualify as a Hold Steady situation? I'd say so!
[21:08:34] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[21:08:34] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 9-1 = 8
Uhm...I guess terrified is appropriate? Maybe? Let's go with an AW question. What should I be on the lookout for?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 2/5 | Conditions: --

"Oof!"

o

ohno

i everyone's so they're too close i want to back away but they're all so there's nowhere to goa nd i can't mvoe and they're staring they're all they're staring at me and and and it's i can't breathe everyone's i'm trying to breathe and breathe and breathe and everythingfeelslike it feels like all these people i've never seen before they;re smothering me they're i'm it's efuhsdgfhsjfghsgdhgfsgfei'm tryingto ineedto g et away but theres no i can't i'm shaking and i'm shaking and i cant i can't breathe

"pleasepleasegetawayfrommeican'tican'tdealwithi-ican'tpleaseleavemeALONE--"

i can feel everyone's eyes on me staring judging burning feverish dizzying--

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


I nudge Sujatha, and direct her attention to corner. "Think we can get over there? We'd be able to see better, and no one would see us, so no one would come over to bother you either."

I take hold of her hand to keep us together and start moving towards the back of the auditorium, making as if to head for the restrooms, claiming that Sujatha lost a contact and needs a hand to find her way out so she can put in a spare, but once we get free of the crowd quickly cut around behind the bleachers - teachers always check there, so they're no good as a hiding spot - to get to that corner.

Not sure if I should roll anything, aiming to stake a claim first and chase away anyone who shows up after.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 2+1 | Conditions: Hunted

His condescension is possibly even worse than his glaring. Were I not aware of the incredible lengths humanity can go to when it comes to maintaining stupid behaviour, I might have suspected Edgar to be a badly programmed AI. So rather than indulge him, I take a shuffle-step closer, my eyes cold and defiant in the face of his proper manners. "On the contrary. You will speak to me here, while there is nothing going on that demands our attention, or else you will cease to bother me with your judgemental gaze. I will not suffer your condescension, Edgar, so for once in your life take that gigantic steel bar out of your rectum and tell me what fault you have found in my behaviour." As I say that I become aware of what he might find offensive. A snicker goes through the immediate presence of the crowd around us, no doubt having overheard my heated whispers.

Shut Down at 2d6+2=6. Woops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Chris, Porter turns to you and says.... "Jem. Funny name... that's why I remember..." He suddenly tenses, and you look up to see-

Ray, who's sniffing the air and doing other weird things. Do you try to cover for that? Meanwhile, Ray, you're getting more and more tense by the moment, and stumbling into the two dweebs near gives you a robot heart attack. But they aren't the threat. You smell... You smell explosives.

Evie, itstoocloseandthey'regoingtoTOUCHyouhelp-

and then the crush abates, though your fear probably doesn't, and a hand reaches down. You don't comprehend the words. Do you take it?

Nivaine, luckily Dorothy seems distracted. Sujatha and you occupy the corner without incident. Sujatha breathes ok. "Ok. soooooo... what if I told you I know something weird about one of our classmates?" You can practically smell the anticipation rolling off her. Why? She's got to be up to something.

Dorothy, Edgar looks at you with heated eyes, but says nothing. Perhaps he has decided you are unworthy of response. Either way, the confrontation has attracted.. outside attention.

A male teacher you don't know barges over. "What is going on over here?" Edgar finally speaks. "Dorothy should not be in the institution. This is a place for learning, and she is incapable of it."

What? What the gently caress does he know?
Take condition Judged.

  • Locked thread