Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Locked thread
Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 2/5 | Conditions: --

everything's i feel dizzy and my head's pounding and i can't someone's saying something but everything's so loud and overwhelming and i--

i take it. everything's i feel so shaky but i take the hand and squeeze and

and i let myself be led.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


"Something weird..." I say, leaning in an putting my hand on her arm, speaking in a sing-song way, clearly pretending to be scandalized. "It's something terrible isn't it? Some awful secret! I can't bear to hear it." I tilt my head up and look away, then glance at her out of the corner of my eye and wink. "Don't say anything! I won't even listen."

Striking the right balance is a fine thing. Of course I want the information - but how much better if she's the one begging to tell me?

Rolling to turn her on.
[17:12] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 7+1 = 8

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 4/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


Why the hell would I be hiding it? I'm not killing anybody...or even maiming anybody. I'm just walking along sniffing at the air like somebody's cooking HOLY loving poo poo THAT SMELLS LIKE RDX WE HAVE A loving BOMB THREAT

RED ALERT FULL ALERTNESS SPEED IT THE gently caress UP SAFE LAND GOTTA FIND THAT loving BOMB LAST THING WE NEED IS A loving TERRORIST INCIDENT

ALERT ALERT TWO POSSIBLE HOSTILES DETECTED AHEAD PREPARE TO ENGAGE WITH EXTREME loving PREJU oh wait. That's Porter...and Chris? Wait a sec, wait just a loving sec, what are they doing out here?!

"Hey, Porter!" I call out with a bit of anger--and a bit of static--creeping into my voice. I very pointedly ignore Chris--he's not the terrorist mastermind type, Porter's got the Ego in MICE written all over him. "What, loving around with gluepots and poo poo wasn't enough for you, you plant bombs to get people's attention now?!"

Hey Porter, hey Porter, I really want to hit you now, but let's hear an admission first. Shut him down!
[22:48:48] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[22:48:49] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 2-1 = 1
Eh heh heh...

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow


"Jem Prasert..." Jem Prasert. I smile briefly while my mind repeats that name over and over so I don't forget it. This might be the only thing that-

Oh, poo poo.

What the hell is Ray doing here? Isn't he supposed to be with Miss Mayfair?! What happened to that?! And what the gently caress is wrong with him right now?! Bombs, seriously?! God, he's really lost it, hasn't he? That loving crazy-rear end cyborg brain of his...

My legs feel unsteady, as if Porter suddenly got heavier or if I suddenly remembered that my body wasn't as strong as I wanted it to be. I shift some of Porter's weight off my shoulders so he stands a little more on his own. It doesn't really end up feeling any better.

gently caress, what do I do? I can't run away. Not now. Not with Porter. And I can't just say 'What the gently caress!', either. He'll definitely hurt me if I provoke him right now. Or Porter. Probably Porter, I guess, but I don't want to play the odds. But what do I... what do I...

"Um..." I try to think of something to say that might defuse the situation, but my mind runs blank. "...What?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 3 | Conditions: Hunted, Judged

I blink with some surprise. What? Has Edgar somehow discerned the true nature of my being? No, impossible. He must mean something else. But what? And with the - male - teacher coming to investigate, the odds do not seem to be in my favour. Perhaps it is wisest to remain demure. I take a quiet breath, and look at the teacher. "I apologize for causing a fuss, sir." I try my best to look like an innocent girl. "I will go to another part of the crowd so that Edgar does not feel upset by my presence." And with a quiet nod, I remove myself from the scene. Perhaps I may find someone more agreeable to appease my foul humour before this show gets going. But whatever Edgar knows, I'll get it from him sooner or later. I have time.

Patience is a Virtue at 2d6+2=13. I get a String on Edgar and he gets the Snake Food condition.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Evie, the crowd parts and you find yourself outside in the hallway, so clearly this is someone of some authority, right? You don't recognize her, but she could be any of the other teachers or staff. She's got a badge: J. P. Guardiana.

She looks at you, and it's clear she's consulting something popping up in her glasses, rather than just looking at you. "Evie Keltham. Are you alright? I see noted here you have... ok. Miss Mayfair should have been more careful." She studies you, combining obvious information with school records to well, judge. "Are you alright to go back inside? I could take you elsewhere to hear the announcement, if you'd like."

Nivaine, Sujatha turns away, blushing, briefly, then composes herself. "You need not get sarcastic with me, missy." She leans in close, perhaps not entirely out of privacy. "My dad told me they discovered that one of the teachers is lying about who they are. It'll be a huge scandal if they did.... something." She giggles. Stops. Composes herself. "There. Now I'm not the only one that knows." She looks around. Is that fear? Does she have something to fear from this? Is that why she's telling you? That's what the sniff test says, but what does she have to be afraid of here...

Ray, Porter looks at you like you've grown 5 pairs of arms. "The hell are... I swear... maybe I'm sicker than I thought, ma-"

You hear a quiet little boom. Like a very small, well shaped explosive going off to break open something.

poo poo.

Hold steady or go public in front of Porter. To what degree you give it away is variable, but enough to give a string if you fail.

Chris, you also hear the boom, though much more faintly than Ray. And worse, you don't recognize it. It's not exactly in your purview. Ray clearly does, though. Ray looks to be about to freak the gently caress out. Bad.

Are you going to try to calm him, or let him panic?

Dorothy, Edgar sneers at you as you walk away. It is at this point you notice, through the door nearby, that Evie is outside in the hall with a teacher. Unlike Evie, you recognize Miss Guardiana. She worked with your mother, once, before quitting due to "ethical concerns." Or more accurately, your mother was convinced she was stealing her designs for some reason, and she quit in a huff. Why is she talking to Evie? Maybe your mother was right...

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 3 | Conditions: Hunted, Judged

Interesting. I keep little track of my mother's employees, but to find one of them here is an unfortunate coincidence. Would she recognize me? My outer shell has been modified many times - even if, sometimes, only in small ways - and besides, even then I was developed with some amount of secrecy. Perhaps I am safe. And then I notice Evie; trembling a little, eyes wide, afraid. DId she have an anxiety attack? Signs seem to suggest so. Making another friend would be good...and this seems like a good opportunity. I walk over, gentle smile on my face. Risking exposure to further my mother's goals would be acceptable. "Hello, Evie. Are you alright...?"

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 2/5 | Conditions: --

things come back into focus. Slowly. By inches.

"I..."

who

Who is she? Something about her makes me so...

she's
she goes through the motions of caring, but there's no warmth.

"I-I just...I need a second."

Are you alright...? The words jar me out of...i-i don't know. Out of whatever this is. Out of feeling frozen and unsure and--

"Yes! I-I mean no. I mean..." and it all comes tumbling out and i'm so

"...there were so many people and i tripped and Erin and Sulie were and I'm--" and there's the panic coming back and it's so, so hard not to just it's so hard to keep it from boiling over

"....i-i don't do well with crowds."

but maybe i do a little better
with you.

i don't even think about walking over to dorothy and clinging it just happens but it feels so right

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 4/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


"You are not sick, Porter...at least not in the physical sense," I mutter. "But you are--

*boom*

...oh gently caress, okay Ray, that wasn't nearly as big as it could have been...keep it together...head for the site of the detonation...maintain complete control...

[20:12:09] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[20:12:10] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 5-1 = 4


...gently caress IT! "GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY WAY," I call out in full, imperious SAFE LAND voice, nasty undertone and all. I shove Porter and Chris to either side (I don't need to shove Chris, but habit is habit) and storm down the hallway towards the source of the noise.

...I may or may not be on four legs as I round the corner.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow


There is barely any time for my mind to process the boom before Ray knocks me backwards. I'm simply left staring at his crazy rear end as he runs off to... wherever the gently caress that came from. Wait, what was that?

"Was that..." I stutter, taking a long time to do what feels like putting together two and two. "...actually a bomb?"

But that doesn't make sense! Nobody loving wants to bomb the school! That's just something Ray made up in that weird cyborg brain of his, right?! But...

"I mean..." My mind races through the possibilities, creating what feels like a cloud of static floating in my head. Everything starts to feel a little bit fuzzier, a little bit less real. "Maybe..."

I look over at the slightly unfocused image of Porter. "Maybe we should get out of here."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


Not what they say they are... Interesting. But is it a problem for me? There are, after all, many targets here besides me - besides us.

I tighten my grip on her arm slightly. "What's wrong? If you tell me, maybe I can help. Do you know who it is?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 3 | Conditions: Hunted, Judged

"Shhh..." The poor girl's panic instinctively switches my programming from helpful to soothing, in an attempt to calm her down. Dr. Moreno's brilliance once again reveals itself in my construction, for Evie, clinging tightly to me, head to my chest, feels a slow thu-thump of a (simulated) heartbeat, and the gentle warmth of a human body as the conductors under my outer shell immediately regulate a proper human's temperature - but a slight bit warmer, for warmth is comfort. "It is alright. The crowd is there, and you are here. Safe." My arms gently wrap around the panicked girl's smaller body, hands slowly stroking the back, programmed behaviour to soothe and protect. "There, there. It is alright. You are alright." For someone like Evie, it is everything she needs and wants. Protection. Comfort. Kindness. Love.

Turn On Evie at 2d6+1=11. I get a String on Evie.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Dorothy, the good doctor looks you over. Up and down. Is that a little smile of recognition? Maybe. It could be dangerous. You file it away, to digest later. Meanwhile, you wrap around Evie...

There's something almost constricting about it, Evie. But in a good way. Guardiana looks at you. "I think you'll both be fine. You're an angel, Miss... Dorothy. Keep an eye on her, alright? It's awful what happened..."

And then she turns, and is gone. Why isn't she going to the assembly? Well, that doesn't matter. Right now, you're both safe. And alone.


"I don't know," is the only thing Nivaine gets from Sujatha. "That's all they'd tell me. But isn't that enough?" She ruffles your hair- it's easy to forget how tall she is, compared to the other girls or even you. She pauses. Stops. Leans in close again, breathing in your ear. "Don't trust Erin," she whispers.

Then she's gone, back into the crowd. And you're wondering who was playing who, during that little exchange.

Porter looks at you, Chris, clearly wondering if he's been drugged already. "Yeah. Maybe.. maybe we should."

It's at this point that a teacher you don't recognize rounds the corner, nearly stumbling right into you both. "Why are you not at the assembly, Mr... Praser- oh, he's injured. I see. Nurse's is to the left, third door." She starts walking away, notably, from your perspective, in the same direction as Ray. You note that. For after.

The nurse's office is within easy stumbling distance at this point. No nurse, though. This area is more deserted than the desert.


Ray, you arrive at the pin-point location of the boom, to discover... a locked door. Behind it is the smell of recently blown semtex- a shaped charge, opening something inside. But there are footsteps behind you. Someone coming for their prize? And worse, inside, you can smell blood.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 4/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


I skid to a stop and return to a standing position outside the door. Huh. So the charge wasn't to breach THIS door...but something behind it. Is there another entrance into this room? Because shaped charges, no matter how quiet, are pretty obvious...and this door is locked. Which suggests that whoever planted the bomb had the keys...or the blessing of whoever had the keys. Which is worse, a member of the staff being a terrorist or being a collaborator? And who spilled blood inside this door?

Gah! This is no time to stand on ceremony. Maintain tempo! Act decisively, SAFE LAND! There may be a place to watch this door from a hidden space, but if someone is wounded inside, there's no time for that! I'm just going to beat the answers--and the keys--from whoever's coming. I turn on my heels towards the sound of the footsteps; the claws are out!

Time to Lash Out at whoever this target is!
[23:00:34] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+2
[23:00:35] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 7+2 = 9
Hm...if they're dead they can't be interrogated...Let's just trade strings on them for now.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


Not trusting Erin is easy - I don't trust anyone.

I watch Sujatha leave, considering. Obviously she had an agenda more involved than the mere gratification sharing someone else's secrets provides. I hold my hand up to my mouth to hide a smile, perhaps even a small shiver of anticipation. So many threads to untangle here.

I decide to stay where I am for the moment, and scan the crowd for my next target - Erin.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow


"Yeah..." I sigh a little bit as I stick my head into the empty nurse's office. "gently caress this."

First, they can't even keep Ray under control. Second, there's a loving bomb or something. And third, there's not even a loving nurse around here. Not that I'd want to stick around even if there were a nurse.

"Let's get out of here. Let's skip."

I stop to look around the empty room one more time. Not that I particularly want to, it's just- kind of familiar. How cold it is. How sterile it is. How bleak and uncaring. It's kind of nostalgic. I hate it.

"...You feeling any better?" I ask Porter, as I'm reminded of the weight on my shoulder. "You wanna go and like, rest somewhere or something?"

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 2/5 | Conditions: --

It's awful what happened.

i can't keep the darting squirming panicked look off my face i can't wonder if oh oh no do they does she how many people know? C'mon, don't panic again, EV-13...i-it can't be...maybe she meant something else! Or...

I burrow and sink and try to let Dorothy's coils embrace smother all my fears.

"....stay with me?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 3 | Conditions: Hunted, Judged

Dr. Guardiana leaving for...somewhere confuses me. Something strange is going on. Sharon fading in and out, the assembly to announce...what? to the whole school, my mother arriving later - what is happening?

But Evie's small, timid voice breaks me out of my train of thought and I remember that I am supposed to be comforting her. "Of course," I respond soothingly, "I am sure there's somewhere we can sit and watch what is going on without having everybody crowd around, mm? Somewhere safe for you."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Ray, you land a few vicious strikes before Dr. Guardiana manages to grab you by the hand long enough for you to realize that you are striking a teacher. "That's quite enough... Ray! I would have expected someone on staff to be involved in this, but one of the students?! What do you have to gain from your own subversion?"

Erin's still sticking close to Sulieman, Nivaine. As usual, they're using the cover of the crowd to gossip quietly about people not anywhere near them, if you're any judge. Sujatha glares at her on her way back to.. you don't know who that is Sujatha is accosting. Anyway, Erin is pointing at Sujatha now. Sulieman nods. It looks almost like they've made a tail.

"i think im fine," mutters Porter. "i just gotta... i just need to close my eyes." You were sick long enough to know that that is not a good sign, Chris. What are you going to do about it? You could do anything. Even just leave him.

Evie, Dorothy, well, I'll leave you two some privacy, shall I? Let me know if I can help.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 4/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


"CEASE AND DESIST IMMEDIATELY," I bark with mechanical precision as I strike. "YOU ARE--Dr. Guardiana?!" Wait, what?! I can hear the emphasis she puts on the world "the". She must mean the IPIS program. But then, why would she be coming here? She's the only one here!

"Subversion?! You are the subverter here! I heard that shaped charge go off!" There's a strange...sensation in what would be my "guts" if I were flesh and blood. This must be doubt. But why should I doubt? "Everyone else is at the assembly! I left because I smelled the explosives! It is YOU who are suspect, doctor!"

I yell with the slightest amount of feedback as much to accuse her as to...reinforce it in myself. "You...you know how suspicious you look..."

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at Mar 19, 2015 around 13:51

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow


Oh, gently caress.

A cold chill overruns me. I feel like I'm looking in a hosed-up mirror. I know those words, I know that look, I know that feeling.

I blink. There I am, standing in front of me. I blink again. No, no, it's just Porter. gently caress. I don't want to be here right now. I should be gone. Away from this poo poo. But I can't just go. Can't leave him alone.

"poo poo," I exclaim, pressing my hands against the sides of my head. I briefly imagine pushing on my head so hard that it explodes. Brains and skull and gore flying everywhere like it's an R-rated movie. "Maybe..." I take a breath, and try to calm down. It's not that bad. But there's only one option.

"Dude," I step closer to Porter and give him a serious look. "You should lie down."

This is the kind of thing you lie down for, right? It's not one of those things that you shouldn't lie down for, is it? gently caress, where is the nurse? I look around. There's gotta be way to find out where they are, right? Or call them, maybe?

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 3 | Conditions: Hunted, Judged

"Well, come along, then. Let's see if we can find a place without all those prying eyes." I turn and - with my arm still around the girl's trembling form - lead Evie gently, but firmly to a nearby staircase, which leads to one of the balconies above the atrium. Poor girl's shaking like a leaf. I have no real experience with caregiving, but it looks like the role has fallen to me nonetheless, so for now, that means she's mine. "Should be a little more quiet up here - I hope nobody's there...Are you alright?" Mine to care for, I mean.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


I withdraw further into the shadows, observing the flow of the crowd, in particular how the social interactions swirl around Erin and Sujatha. What do they have against each other? I gather data and analyze. I'm good at it - I have to be, if I'm going to manipulate.

What is their connection? And how can I use it?

Doing this as a Gaze Into the Abyss.
[20:09] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 6-1 = 5
Oops.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Ray, the doctor hesitates a moment before reaching into her bag- it's at this point you notice she's bleeding badly from a claw hit to her shoulder, but whatever it is she's doing appears, for the moment, more important to her than the pain. "Please extend the trust I am due as your superior, Ray." You can tell she is manipulating your trigger-words and personality- a little side-benefit to whatever AR rig she's using to call up things like names. But you find yourself slackening anyway. Programming. Overridable, but it buys her a moment. "I aim to catch our thief in the act. You can assist me." She clips a small device invisibly to the underside of the locked doorhandle, and then steps out of the room, gesturing toward a nearby room. "Come on! They'll be here in a moment!"

Chris, Porter collapses onto a bed. You search the room, and eventually excavate a call button from beneath some other debris, clearly tossed into a corner when the nurse had to leave suddenly. Hitting it sends a reassuring signal through the system.

And also, you realize, opens up a corridor in the system. A strange security weakness, but there it is. Porter's barely conscious. What are you going to do?

Nivaine, you plunge into the data, combining reality and augument into a cohesive whole, information swirling- sujatha's daddy mixes with erin's in a strange way are they perhaps the same person, no thats impossi-

poo poo.

Erin looks up, and now you can see the slight glow behind her right eye. Implant. She's watching you watch her.

She knows about you.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 4/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


I give a little growl of triumph when I see the blood. It turns into a growl of obedience the moment she says "superior". The hell?! She's not my designated...ah...STAND ASIDE, SAFE LAND. SHOW PROPER DEFERENCE.

Before I know it, I've backed up and she's gotten off and planted her trap. Supposedly for this mark of hers. But maybe her attempt to get me to trust her is a trap in and of itself. Can I be sure? But what if she's right about this other "thief"? I am not a traitor, and will never be a traitor...Yes, that is so! There must be a trick here. Something I cannot see immediately. She beckons, and I feel myself follow...

...but, like a good wary dog, I sniff the air first.

Okay, what's going on here? Let's Gaze and try to get a handle on things.
[22:42:23] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[22:42:23] <Krysmphoenix> Davin_Valkri, 9-1 = 8 Confusing and alarming seems appropriate.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow, Drained


Whew. It's about time something went right.

I breathe a sigh of relief and slump into the nurse's chair. It's not very supportive, but I don't care right now. I just sprawl out, close my eyes, and rest.

But then I hear i̹̻̲ͅt. I feel it. The smell of data is in the air. An inaudible chorus rings around the room, just begging to be heard. D̍̍ȍͩn'͑͌́̿́̌t͆̑̑̓ y͂ͭóuͤͦͥͣ ̊̌jͪ̔u͌ͦs̊ͬ̾̓͋tͦ͗ͫͮ ͦ̋͆̆̚wͬ̆̆ͭͨa̾ͮnt͋ͦ̔͊͊̓ͪ ͯ͊̇͒͊̔̆t͊o̿ ̾̆ͩ͌lͨ̑̑̏̈́iͦͭ̌s̃ͭͪ̋t́͌͒͐̿͂ͯe͑͌n͊ ͬ̈́ͣto̒͆͌́͑̈͆ ͐̎̄ͧi̍t?̃̅͒͂̅͛ Come on. Take a peek.

God. I reach up and rub my eyes, trying to distract myself with another sensation. But one of these things is a lot stronger than the other; covering your ears doesn't help when something is just screaming right in your face.

I wish I could be somewhere else right now. Somewhere where I don't have to deal with any of this. But that's not an option.

"Well, at least..." I mumble, comforting myself with the sound of my own voice. "At least... I can deal with something, right?"

My gaze turns towards the school's systems. A black box, just waiting to be explored. There's bound to be answers in there, right? About everything that's going on. If things are as bad as they seem to be, there has to be tons. You just need to listen.

Okay, fine.

I close my eyes again, this time to shut out white noise. Nothing around me matters right now. Everything I need to see or hear is in the network. So just breathe deeply, and l̅̌̅͑ͩe̤̘͓͙̲͆͌̉͊͗͒t̘̥̟̣̔̓̓̍ ͓̜̜̭̳̙̌͋͗̿ͯ́i̲̣̟̫͇̜͍ͪt̳̺̖̦̓ ̫̲ò̜̔̐v̜̬͓͔̤ͮ͌̈ẻ̬͊̽r͖̗̫̐c̜͍͔̠̥o̺ͯ̽m̰͖̝̟̠̱̘ͣ̚eͬ̿͑ ỳ̬̙̜͇͚̣̌o̦̐ͬ͊u͎̩̰ͪͯͩ̆ͦ.̯͕̘̳̞̍ͨͭ̈́͌͛ͦ

Gaze into the abyss:
<Takanago> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 6+2 = 8
Opting for clear visions, and taking the Drained condition.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


I catch her looking, the special glint in her eye. Sloppy. Unacceptable. I need to fall back, regroup.

Still. How much better to have a real adversary. I can't quite keep the smirk off my face as I try to slip away, so I can re-engage on my own terms.

Probably a Run Away, so...
[23:08] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 9 = 9

Just short of getting away clean. Hm, let's go with... run directly into something worse.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Ray, the threads in the walls tell you that two people are coming fast and hard one is familiar and the other is not but they are both too far to tell and both stink of fear and anger and purpose so who loving knows are they working together or apart and who are they? impossible to tell. data analysis inconclusive. you know though

they both hate you.

Chris, it takes a few moments for your systems to interlace, and it's tiring, but you squirm into the tunnel and see. And boy, is it something. Y'see, when all of you were chosen for this program, all of you had... safeguards. Put in place, you know. In case of trouble.

Someone's turned them off.

It's hard to say which is more insulting- having them in the first place, or that someone could waltz in and disable them so casually. And worse, what else can that person do?

Niviane, you duck Erin's seeking gaze and slip into the empty halls like a shadow- you get the feeling that Erin's too subtle to follow you that far. You're about to breathe a sigh of (slight) relief when you realize that someone is out here too. And for some reason, every part of you is screaming that you need to bolt again. Break character. Get clear. You're going to have to get a hold of your traitorous impulses or get busted. Hold steady.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 2/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


I feel a shiver pass through my chassis as I become aware of the other presence. Every evasion system, every self-preservation protocol, every tactical assessment screams run. Abort mission. Break cover. Escape.

Forget my plans, my hopes, for this place. Abandon what I've begun. Leave everything half-done and in shambles.

But I am more than a machine. More than a program. I choose.

And I choose to stand my ground.

Hold steady. Choosing to keep my cool.
[18:56] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 6+1 = 7

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 4/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


what is going on what is happening sitrep sitrep request new chain of command where is my handler alert alert alert

help me

No. No, dammit, get it together, SAFE LAND! You are not a cowering conscript, you are a weapon, honed and sharpened for war. ACT LIKE IT.

Two tangos. Luddite radicals, or something of that persuasion. The I in MICE. And like mice, they're small and petty things. So Dr. Guardiana was telling the truth. There is something else going on here. And the good doctor wants to catch them in the act--

SOP IS TO STOP INFILTRATORS BEFORE THEY INFILTRATE. LEAK RISK. STOP THEM NOW. STOP THEM NOW.

Shut up! The doctor's plan is a good one.

THE DOCTOR'S PLAN WILL LEAD TO A LEAK. SEARCH AND DESTROY, NOW!!

I want to hold steady to hopefully get a little bonus when hunting time comes.
[23:42:43] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[23:42:44] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 4-1 = 3


SEARCH...AND...DESTROY

gently caress the doctor's plan, I'm off!

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 3/5 | Conditions: --

i come down by inches. clingingnestlinghidingcoiledkeptsafe and i'm dimly aware of muffled voices, of *something* being said in the auditorium, but it's i can barely it's not important the only thing that's important is

god

she's

warm

she's so warm and i god i think i like her i-i thought i liked but that was different and she's so she feels so

there's this knotting constricting feeling in my chest like i can't get a word out but i look up at her anyways and i start mouthing words and

Day ???? posted:

Now.

"Congratulations on your purchase of the new EV-13 Series Assistive Gynoid. This model features an MTBF of 262,950 hours, but of course all our products include a limited lifetime warranty!"

i don't have to worry about memory degradation yet i'm i'm not some obsolete worthless piece of junk i

i remember how to talk properly. like a....not like one of those horrid little *humans*. like an EV-series.

dr. keltham taught me how to talk properly. programmed me, patched me, fixed me, refined me, god she never looked so wet loving as she did when i spoke like a

and it's 'cos i am an ev-series i'm not some stupid broken little human i'm so so i should maybe dorothy will love me if 'cos she's like me she's a she understands, right?

it's like riding a bike.

"Dorothy?" i ease into it by inches. Pitch, cadence, that mechanical little crack in my voice. Doro-thy.

"Would you like...." i look up at her, that practiced glassy-eyed love in my eyes and it feels so right and normal god for the first time i feel *normal* again and

"Would you like. To stay here, for some time?"

Rolling to Turn On Dorothy.~ Also, marking XP 'cos Hot.

(11:29:25 AM) ningyou1: !r 2d6+2
(11:29:25 AM) Krysmbot: ningyou1, 7+2 = 9

HELLO WEIRDEST LADYBONER i guess

Ningyou fucked around with this message at May 3, 2015 around 16:09

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 3 | Conditions: Hunted, Judged

"Sure. I don't think we'll be missed anytime soon."

The words are out of my mouth before I know it. My programming, once again, making me edge close to humanity but still keeping me aware of my mistakes to make me uncomfortably frustrated at it. After all, am I not a simulation? Am I not supposed to know exactly how to fake being a human, rather than being one with all the negative implications - such as awkwardness in conversations - thereof? I do not have such mental stimuli for others to prod. I do the prodding.

I suppose it's just one of many reasons mother was so highly praised for her work on AI.

Still, as a moment passes and I am given time to adjust to my slip of the tongue, it is not so bad. Up on a quiet balcony things are peaceful. Calm. Exactly what Evie needs to find some peace of mind - along with my presence feeding her frazzled mind some much needed stability. So with an arm around the still-trembling girl, I watch the announcement below when it arrives.

Choosing to give Evie what she wants - staying.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow, Drained


My eyes open, returning me to the world of visual input. Everything feels a bit dimmer and heavier -- it feels like there's a big weight pushing on my chest. I don't feel well. Oh, but- I blink, flashing darkness over my eyes. Everything seems clear for a moment as my whole consciousness does a double take.

poo poo. poo poo poo poo poo poo.

I panic, feeling that pressure on my chest grip me tighter and tighter. No safeguards?! Flashes of destruction appear before my eyes. Danger. Is it just my imagination? gently caress, what's going to happen now?

...No safeguards?

Everything suddenly feels lighter. The vice grip on my heart suddenly melts away like butter. That means... that means... I can't put my finger on it, but deep down I'm pretty sure it's ȃ ̆̚g̋̏̌̿o͌͑̎͒͂o̓͌͑̒͂̉dͨ͒ͬ ͣͦ͛̊̑ͫ̅thi͗ͨ̎nͨgͯ͌̈́.

A sudden restlessness in my feet compels me to get up. Like there's no point in just sitting down. Especially not now. I shuffle along towards the door, not even glancing at Porter on my way out. He's not important now, what's important is...

A bunch of half-images flash in my head.

I don't know. But my feet keep moving anyway, as if my toes know something the rest of me doesn't.

---

Not quite sure where I want to head, but probably towards mystery/trouble of some kind. Not that that's hard to find around here.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Nivane, you stumble into an alcove, looking out, only to realize that two other people-type beings are in there with you and hey wait a minute that was supposed to be your information source friend what's Dorothy doing with Evie? But that pales for a moment (but none of the three of you are going to forget this one) in the face of the person who is presently striding down the corridor. You were warned about her. Or know her. Or both.

The announcement rings out, rebroadcast throughout the school if somehow, you weren't in the auditorium as it went.

"Students, please be very cautious with your security cards over the next couple of weeks. We have received word that a dangerous domestic terrorist arranged to be broken out of custody over the weekend, and may seek to gain entry to the school for malicious purposes. Please do not be alarmed- security is tight, as long as we all work together to combat laxity in our methods..."

Of course, the three of you aren't paying attention. You're staring at someone who shouldn't be here because of tight security.



Dr. Katherine Keltham, MD, PhD, scarily young-looking and after.. something. What do you think she's after? What were you warned about? And Evie- are you holding back that scream?

It's about this moment that Ray skitters around the corner and Chris rounds the bend and they'd better answer those question too, and faster, because the good doctor is raising what looks like a rail cannon at Ray without hesitating one bit. "Out of my way, cur. Don't make me shut you down."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Ray Ferras
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 4/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Snake Food, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


I screech to a halt on feet and a single hand as I round the corner. Anybody who didn't know better might think I was a gymnast or something. But I know better. I definitely know better. I can sense it. Like how I can sense that that scientist definitely does not belong here!

"YOU." I bark at her with fangs bared. "YOU ARE THE INTRUDER. SURRENDER YOURSELF AND--" The light touch approach goes out the drat window when I see her weapon of choice. That poo poo's freaking mil-spec! It'll take out a support beam to this place easy! Where'd she get that?!

Now she's not just a threat to me Dorothy or Chris or Evie or the whole IPIS program, she's a threat to the whole facility! And even if I could convince her to turn the gun on Niviane, the collateral damage risk is too drat high. There's only one option left, really. And lucky me, because it's my favorite option.

I look at the barrel of her rail cannon, move my eyes to hers, snort.

"How about I shut you down, bitch?"

THREAT ASSESSMENT COMPLETE, SEARCH AND DESTROY

One claw to send the cannon pointed upward, one more to get around her arm, and the tail goes for her head!

Ah, yiss, time to break out that +2 Volatile and take someone down! Lash Out Physically!
[21:36:05] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+2
[21:36:06] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 8+2 = 10
Hold Steady to hit back!


Textbook.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Ch̶͙r̮i̧͚͔s̶̠̦̪ͅ ̦̠͕̼̙P̨͓͓͉̦̮r͚̻͚͚̣a͓̦̖͉̺̤̥sert
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 2/5, Conditions: Shallow, Drained


"!..."

My heart stops, my feet freeze cold in their tracks, and my mind races. Who is thi- It must be- What does she-

"Who are-" I say, my voice acting a lot slower than my brain. And then I stop when Ray jumps at her. Is this a part of her plan, or not part of her plan? gently caress, what do I do?

I stand in place, as somehow the thought of running away doesn't even enter my train of thought. There's too much going on here, too many questions.

But still, no way am I going to get between a psychotic, unleashed Ray and a loving hacker with a railgun.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 2/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


The sudden appearance of Evie and Dorothy irritates me, especially seeing them together. What are they planning? I assumed they would become friends, but so soon - it presents complications.

Of course, that is of decidedly secondary concern with the appearance of the woman. Katherine Keltham. A singularly dangerous human. Which makes her a potentially very useful one.

Before I can attempt to take action, in regards to either situation, that idiot mutt shows up to make his usual mess of things. I press back into the shadows to watch it unfold, to see what opportunities arise in the aftermath.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 3 | Conditions: Hunted, Judged

...somebody just walked into the school with a railgun. And they let her? This is getting weird - and dangerous. Yet, she looks familiar to me. From the time I was still in my creator's lab, being fed information and such things in order to build up my knowledge banks. Except I can't recall. How disappointingly human.

So I use a last resort. Mother would know who this is. She would care for the risk this person poses. If only the risk that the terrorist might expose me and thwart mother's plans. So I don't let go of Evie, but I tune out everything else, for a moment, tapping into the deepest parts of my programming and accessing the hyper-encrypted communications channel.

Terrorist in school. Looks familiar. Threat assessment? Course of action? The message is brief, but clear enough. I send a quick picture of the woman along so mother has visual confirmation. And I wait, in my blanked-out state, for a response, unsure if my message reaches her. See, the problem is, I have this channel as a last resort, but using it means I'm out of commission until the connection is broken... which I can't do myself. Sometimes that goes well.

Other times...

Gaze into the Abyss at 2d6-1=4.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 3/5 | Conditions: --

so i'm too lazy to dig through the logs but i rolled to Hold Steady and got a 5 soooooo

".....mom?"

everything feels so small so constricting so smothering all i can do is whimper and plead in that voice i can't turn off that voice that she gave me that hollow light-as-air EV13's voice 'cos i'm EV13 a-and i should be happy 'cos my owner's here but i can't stop shaking

"mom what are you doing here y-you'renotsupposedto--"

Who said robots can't be scared, huh? Ha, h-haha....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Keltham hesitates as she hears a voice she swore she'd discard, before this. "E-evie? I-"

Then Ray's claws tear into her side and she forgets. Again. "Cur! Stand down or I-"


Dorothy, the connection is weak- a signal jammer? Eventually, mother dearest gets on the line. "What is- oh dear. Dear girl, hold on. I'll find some way of dealing with it." She steps away from the signal device - you can tell that much. But in haste, she's forgotten to close the channel. You're stuck for at least 30 more seconds before the inactivity auto-termination. And in the meantime-

"'ll blow this girl's head right off," finishes Dr. Keltham, gun aimed not at Ray (pointless- he'd duck) but at Dorothy's unseeing head. "Get out of my way. 13, bring her with us. Be a good EV." An eyebrow twitch. Subtle, but those of you with the freedom to observe rather than participate notice it. Guilt?

  • Locked thread