Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Locked thread
Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: Blamed, Fragmented

I swathe myself in it, swim in it, wrap myself in the jumble of genres like a warm blanket.

i miss you

dr. finch says it's not entirely healthy but i miss you and i'll be a good unit i'll be a good girl i'll

it's hard for me to imagine the concept of dr. keltham being confused

it confuses me, imagining ownerkeepermistressmom always knowing what to do always quick with an order or a confused.

but maybe that's okay so long as we can be confused together

And if some loving suit from the school thinks he can keep us apart? If they think cameras or....whatever else makes a difference? No. Way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Dorothy, your mother nods, satisfied. You have adequately divined her intentions, which shows that her latest attempt at emotional intelligence programming is working rather well. Or, in less cold terms, she raised you properly. "You can handle this just fine. You are armed with knowledge and with... arms. The rest is yours. If I interfere... what validity would any of this hold? I would be like that woman."

And with that uncharacteristic venom, your mother prepares to exit your life, again.

Nivaine, Erin leans over you, height advantage negated. "This is private. Why else are we here, hmmm? Little miss spy." Normally, such a phrase would be full of anger, resentment, hidden perhaps, but there... but Erin's tone is still nothing but flirtatious. "I do like spies... They're always such interesting people. Tell me..." Her lips are practically on yours. "Who are you spying for?"

Ray, the good Doctor G looks at you. "As expected."

"Expected isn't good enough, though." Her eyes are cold. "You are supposed to be attempting to adapt, Mr. Feras. I am trusting you to come up with a different solution."

The conversation is clearly over.

Dorothy, Ray, Evie, Chris - you're free from your meetings. You can wander, interact, or get up to shenanigans. Nivaine, you can pre-plan some of that while you... finish up.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 3/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


I pull back as she gets closer. Just fair enough to tease. "Maybe it can be for you..." I turn my head slightly, still making her chase me. My arms go around her, my hands behind her back. I gaze at her through my lashes. "If you do me a favor, from time to time."

As I speak, I let my claws unfold. Perhaps she knows what I plan. Either way, she's put herself in my grasp, and I am not one to pass up such an opportunity.

Seems like a good opportunity to my Neural Trawl. I'll choose ~ you carry 1 forward and ~ they don't die.

After this, I think I might go find Sujatha. Let her know she was right about Erin. Of course, she should probably be worrying more about me...

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...



Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow, Drained, rear end in a top hat, Busybody


Ugh.

By the time I get out of the nurse's room, I start to feel myself back into my regular sense of dreary tiredness like none of this really even happened. Like it's just a normal, annoying schoolday. Seeing some of the other 'special kids' down the hallway, especially her, almost manages to ruin that. But no- gently caress it. I don't have to deal with these people right now.

I could be interacting with just about anybody else in this school. Someone who isn't weird. Or an rear end in a top hat. Or maybe I could even just... look around. Yeah.

I turn my feet sharply to the left, putting all the immediately annoying people behind me. And I start walking.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!



Hot +1+1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 5-5=0/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Terrified, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


Part of me wants to just bit the not-good doctor's head off right now. Then again, she does seem like she would make a better commanding officer than Miss Sharon...and she's the jerk who put me in this situation. And at least Dr. Guardiana has some inkling of the threats I have to watch out for. That puts her leagues above most of the other staff.

As I leave the appointed detention room I automatically lean back and stretch. My body might not get stiff or tired the way human ones do, but my mind could definitely use a workup; maybe this is me pretending nothing's changed and I'm still a bloodhound specialist. Getting stuck in a room with even being able to get up and pace--that should be a war crime! My uniform is a bit tight at the best of times, though--one of the flaws of school uniforms being sized for someone with less "muscle tone" than you. When I'm doing something like this the front hitches up and the sleeves slide to my shoulders...I should really skip the clothing the next time I want to do this. Can't do that in the middle of academy grounds, though. But I can at least strip off the blazer.

As I pull the jacket up and over my shirt catches even higher, but I'm not focusing on that right now. I'm thinking on what I'm going to do now that I'm free. I could go back to my quarters and do my work like a good little tame dog, but that's dull. I could find Porter again and make double sure he won't forget me. Maybe I could find Chris and figure out what the heck he was talking about in class--

--speak of the daemon. He just came round the corner. And me out of uniform...

Ray's been at the center of some serious scenes, so let's do something a bit more comedic. Takanago, if you don't want this to happen to Chris, tell me and I'll change it. First, I'll spend 5 xp to add +1 to hot. Then I'll roll to turn Chris on with my robo-abs.
[22:32:13] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+2
[22:32:14] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 9+2 = 11

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...



Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow, Drained, rear end in a top hat, Busybody


I turn the corner, and...

I stare for a second, before I notice just who I'm looking at. (And what. It's just an artificial body, anyway... It looks perfect because it's just fake.) Just my luck, instead of finding someone normal, I just find this idiot using the drat hallway as a changing room.

Maybe if I ignore him, he won't bother me. Just start walking again, don't even look at him, and keep going. Don't even let him realize you even saw him... Who cares about him, anyway?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


there's not much for me to do since Evie already left stuff and went back to her room and, y'know :x so skip over me i guess

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.



S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 3 | Conditions: Hunted, Judged

Mother goes without another word from either her or me. She has given her aid - if that is what this is - and that's all there is.

The experiment continues. I am alone once more.

But I do not have to be. Yanelle's invitation from the earlier morning was still open. Mother will be observing, even if not directly. She will still be expecting progress. So I must perform as I am made to. Opportunities to be seized. Social norms must be met. So I will meet her and I will see what she wishes me to see. To gain a friend, perhaps. So I go, through the halls, in search of my friend-to-be. Let us see if humanity is as easy as my programming makes it seem.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Sorry for the wait folks, been a heck of a month.

Evie,

There's a knock at your door, after a while. "Miss Keltham? We'd like to talk." You don't recognize the voice, but you do recognize the tone- it's someone from the Authorities.

Dorothy,

Yanelle is right where she said she'd be. "I wasn't sure you'd show up! Girl, it is time for you to learn how to have a good time!" She is, somehow, dressed even more casually than usual. Her earrings in particular strike you as vaguely ridiculous, dangling to the point where a rogue wind might be able to achieve liftoff on her ears. "Got anybody else you wanna invite along? I saw you making eyes at that shy chick, what's her name again?"

Nivaine,

Blood is memory, in the old days. In these days, we know better - memory is a mapping of electrical impulses along the synapses of the brain. Which means it can be in turn, mapped. And replayed elsewhere.

It is, of course, rather imperfect. But it's enough. Mostly it conveys what sticks. Emotions, then senses, then thoughts.

And what you know now, for the record, is that Erin thinks spies are extremely cute. And that she thinks Sullie is really cute. Put 2 and 2 together and... a conclusion tends to arise.

That doesn't help you with Sujatha, per se, who is looking at you with what she probably believes looks like bemused impatience but is more accurately describable as "fidgety annoyance." But it's still good to know.

Chris, Ray,

You're going to have to work this one out for yourselves. No biting. Unless someone asks.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!



Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 0/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Terrified, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


Heh heh heh. That look in his eyes. Was that...jealousy? Yeah, come on, Chris, keep looking. You'll never look this solid hard in a million years. (If he likes this kind of thing, he could just change how he looks; it's not like there's anything physical on him...)

But he's not going to get off that easy. I drape the blazer over my shoulder and jog around the corner towards him.

"Yo, Chris!" I call out mid-stride, a step before catching up to him and matching pace. I almost step [i]through/[i] him but I tried that the first day of class and my foot felt like some rear end in a top hat was jabbing it with a needle the whole day. loving hard light, how does it work? "Hey, come on, it's not like you haven't seen more before. So, why you still haunting the halls? Can't exactly imagine a weenie like you getting detention."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 4/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


Sullie. I had discounted him as simply a pretty face, a golden boy no deeper than his appearance. A mistake - I should have recognized an excellent cover and dug deeper. Proved the shell hollow instead of assuming it. Erin.... delicious Erin, who seems to love secrets for their own sake. Perhaps she is a front for some other power still. I will need to keep looking, but I suspect for her the game is played for its own sake. I can appreciate the sentiment, but I so much prefer to win than to merely participate.

But that's a matter for later. I return my focus to Sujatha. We had unfinished business from before. And, of course, there was the question of from where her suspicions of Erin arose. My systems reel myriad strategies for this encounter, but all of the most preferential have on thing in common. Vulnerability.

I take Sujatha's hand - carefully, lightly - and look up at her with widened eyes. "You were so right about Erin. I don't know what she's after, but she wants something from me." I sigh. "I'm so glad you were looking out for me. How did you know?"

Turn Someone On (+Hot): 2d6+1 12

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.



S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 3 | Conditions: Hunted, Judged

"Evie?" Making eyes at her...I had not experienced it as such. It seems my actions were interpreted in a romantic way by onlookers. Were they, though? Evie is obviously a nice young woman, and I can not help but feel a certain kinship after what happened; both of us a prisoner of our mothers, our creators, though both in our different ways. And I find it easy to be around her; she is companionable that way, or perhaps the better word is tolerating. Hers is a need for safety and comfort, one that is easy to provide, and in return she seems loyal and kind. And yet... the weight of the gun lingers heavily in my mind. I have stored it in my bag, that I have with me, for Mother would not tolerate me spurning her gift and leaving my room without it. Certainly, she would be monitoring me. So taking Evie might lead to...actions on Mother's or Patience's end which I would not want to subject the poor girl to.

"She would like that, but I think she is still recovering from...what happened in the auditorium. Maybe another time would be better. Shall we go?" A quick smile, enhanced by added brightness in my eyes and a small gesture. Let her lead; I will follow.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...



Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow, Drained, rear end in a top hat, Busybody


Oh, great. Looks like you're stuck with him, Chris.

I take a deep facsimile of a breath and focus on keeping my pace and walking as if this isn't a big deal at all. Just keep walking, one step after another. Don't stop or go too slow or he'll definitely notice that you're thinking about this too much. Or, hell, he probably would just notice anyway with those cyber-senses of his...

Dammit.

I stop walking and just turn around and look at him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!



Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 0/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Terrified, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


"Ah, come on, you know exactly what I mean, Chris!" I chuckle. Maybe me being smiley and jokey would be more effective if I got some more pronounced canine teeth? Stupid DARPA, no imagination at all... "You're a big old softie! You couldn't hit someone and hurt 'em...reallly hurt 'em...if you tried!" It's really really tempting to laugh in his face right now. "So if it's not for that, it's got to be for some other reason. Visiting one of the profs for a nerd session? Or does your projector need a kick?"

Maybe it's an obvious probe, but I'm sure the reaction will be...interesting.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at Oct 26, 2015 around 05:31

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...



Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow, Drained, rear end in a top hat, Busybody


"Uhhh....?"

My face reflexively scrunches up into something that's stuck halfway between a confused 'Huh?" and a happy laugh. Instantly, a tiny burning sensation starts to overcome my lips and cheeks and demand that I pick one or the other. The feeling gets stronger the more I imagine what my face must look like right now.

Cmon Chris, either just smile and take the compliment or don't! If you think about it too long, you'll just look awkward.

"Um, uh... Yeah!" I waver back and forth a little bit, before I settle on an almost whole-hearted smile. "I suppose... so." Wait, was that supposed to be a compliment? Like, it seems like it but... it's Ray.

"Well, I mean... I just like to walk, sometimes. Like, just kind of go... wherever." Wait, does that sound lame? You gotta be more interesting than that. "I mean, class is alright, but doesn't it seem like kind of a waste sometimes? All the same boring kind of crap, and just the same thing day, after day, after day. You just spend all your time cooped up doing nothing. And sometimes you just gotta... do your own thing. You know what I mean?"

Wait... does he know what I mean? Don't forget, Chris. You're talking to a robot, here.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!



Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 0/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Terrified, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


Do you know how much effort it takes not to raise an eyebrow in sympathy when Chris starts talking? Who knew the loving class nerd had a good reason to take a walkabout. I actually shut my yap and listen to the guy!

"...So the staff have been keeping you on a leash the whole school year?"

Because in a sense, I understand completely. Wait, did I say that out loud?! "I mean, uh, yeah, I hear ya. It loving sucks, man. Guys like you and me want to get out there and choke a bi--I mean, uh..." poo poo. Chris isn't the sort of person to choke people, is he? "Uhm...hmm...heh, I guess you wouldn't be into choking people. That's more my department!"

What the gently caress is wrong with me right now?! Did Dr. Guardiana do something to me in detention?!

"Uh, yeah..."

Can I start removing conditions? I think I can take off Scary Monster or Pissed Off.

"gently caress it, where do you go when you're not taking pissant IPIS BS? I'll walk ya there."

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: Blamed, Fragmented

listening and remembering and feeling and there's this warm, heavy throb in my chest and elsewhere and i'm i-i mean no one's watching i could i can just--

Knock.

Knock.

and i'm so frazzled and caught and kind of *angry* i just yank the earbuds out and storm over to the door all dour and a tiny bit disheveled and scowly and--"Oh my GOD, what? What do you want? I-- I'm busy!"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Nivaine,

Sujatha, turns away, either in embarrassment or shame or both, pulling her hand away as she does. "I... I can't tell you that. But..." You can read it all in her face, even the fraction of a sliver that you can see.

She loves Sulieman. Or is crushing on him. Same thing.

And she's hoping you'll destroy her rivals for her. She can recognize danger but she's trying to ride the lightning. And she's not as good as she thinks she is.

Delicious, isn't it?

Dorothy,

Before you know it, you're in a back alley lined up at what appears from the outside to be approximately the 3rd worst warehouse in existence, give or take 3 places. At the door, they are checking for two things- clothes, and weapons. Neither too thoroughly if you're with say, Yanelle, who could probably buy the place and burn it down, but still. Checking.

The gun is heavy in your bag.

Chris, Ray,

Where are you going?

Evie,

The voice outside immediately drops into "soothing."

"I'm sorry to bother you, Miss Keltham. I just wanted to talk to you about your mother for a bit. She still has... friends. Who could perhaps, help you."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Hot+1, Cold+1, Volatile=0, Dark-1
Harm 0/4 | XP 4/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


I let a smile spread across my face. I'm hardly surprised by her motivation, but her strategy - how very daring. To use me to do the dirty work, keep her hands clean so she doesn't soil her love. Well - I am a weapon, after all. But not a simple one. Not one without my own motivations.

"Of course, of course... it's a secret between us, after all." I pause a moment, then, "I really appreciate all the help you've given me. There must be something I can do to help you. I'm sure I'll think of something." Meaning the opposite, naturally. "Did you... notice anyone else we should look out for?" I meet her gaze, make sure she knows what I'm really asking. "I could explain things to them - maybe it's just a misunderstanding."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...



Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow, Drained, rear end in a top hat, Busybody


"Keep me on a leash...?" I raise an eyebrow and think about what Ray said. It's not quite right, but it's not really wrong, is it? They do lock the network down at night, Chris. Don't forget. "Um... Kind of."

I smile again, still not quite used to Ray's new attitude. Not too long ago, I swear he was ready to kill me, and now it's like he's my best friend... Is that weird? Or am I just being weird thinking about it?

I think... I must have hit something important.

"Well," I continue, "If I want to really get away, I usually go to..."

Wait, hold on. Should I really just say it? Just tell him? My throat tightens up a little bit as my nerves try to stop me from saying the next few words.

"...I'm usually in... the network. Like," I tilt my head at a nearby computer screen. "Inside the network."

"There's a lot in there, you know? Lots of things you wouldn't imagine. Or, like I wouldn't imagine, I guess. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. There's a lot of places they don't clean up that often so you never know what you'll find."

"Plus, it's very open. At least if you know the tricks. I wasn't able to get around very much when I was younger, so it's nice to have a place where I can go wherever I want, kind of instantly."

I rub the back of my neck. It feels a lot less stiff now. "There's actually a nice little VR lab that's nice for this, out in the far-west end of the school. It's where they keep the old equipment, so people barely use it. And I kind of like the old equipment, anyway."

"So... yeah. Let's go."

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e



Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: Blamed, Fragmented

drones only want love if it's torture.~♪

I scramble over to the door, earbuds still half-in, hurrying them along without even looking at--it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter. Okay? If they--it's just...

Of all the places they could have put that camera, they installed it facing *away* from my front door. I yank whoever it is in and a little too the side, and then, only then, look them over. harsh, harried, quiet. "Help me how?"

Ningyou fucked around with this message at Jan 5, 2016 around 10:11

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!



Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 0/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Terrified, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


Removing Scary Monster condition if that's alright.

So Chris has a hobby after all. I'm actually kind of impressed. Didn't know he had it in him to do hacking work. Not that I'm going to say that out loud!

...come to think of it, "direct action" might be the special forces buzzword, but the classic thing they do is using irregular forces. And if I want to get a leg up on that smug bastard Niviane, it might help to have someone who can fight on her infowar turf...

"Ya know what? Let's."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Sujatha looks... wary but grateful, Nivaine. "Y-yeah. That... crass idiot, Yanelle? Her father didn't get rich legitimately, I know that. I think I know where she'll be tonight. Would you mind... coming with me?"

"She's not without allies yet, you know," says the muffled voice, Evie. "I'll make sure more of her... data gets to you. I'll greet you with the phrase, 'new world.' If you hear that somewhere that isn't Renaissance European history, you'll know it's one of us. Glory to the new flesh!"

You hear footsteps scurrying away. Just what is going on in this place, and what do these idiots think you have to do with it?

Ray, Chris, the VR lab is quiet, though never dark- the headsets glow so that people wearing one of the more sophisticated (read, cumbersome and bulky) rigs can easily find them no matter what the other conditions are. Nobody's here this time of night, but you are technically allowed to be- it's just that they also enforce a sleep and shower policy to avoid the dreaded VR Gunk and therefore most of the marathoners have rotated to the next lab over, where they can sign in again. Loopholes.

What's the plan, Zero Cools?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Hot+1, Cold+1, Volatile=0, Dark-1
Harm 0/4 | XP 4/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


I smile at Sujatha. "I don't mind at all. Call it a date, then." I cock my head slightly at her, then add, "Where do you expect her to be?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...



Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4, Exp 1/5, Conditions: Shallow, Drained, rear end in a top hat, Busybody


"Well, here we are." I stick my arms out and spin a little, kind of like I'm welcoming Ray into my home. But it's just the VR lab. Okay, maybe it's kind of like a 'home away from home'. (Not really)

"So... You wanna do VR stuff?" I ask Ray, while I start to set up one of the VR stations. "We could boot up a sim, or snoop around the school network..."

I flip a switch on the headset to change it from standard, human mode, to its hardlight data interface mode.

"I mean, there's a lot of stuff on the network. They don't really do a great job of hiding it."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!



Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 0/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Terrified, Pissed Off, Scary Monster


"Heh, nice place," I say out loud. If you're a nerd, I keep to myself.

"I like that school network idea," I answer with a barely hidden smirk. "Y'know, what they got on you, what they got on me, Evie, Dorothy, Niviane, the works. Hmmm..." I pick up an interface, tracing along the outer edge for something a bit more efficient. "Where's the...how do you...piece of poo poo..."

gently caress it, what's a little vandalism between friends? I slide one of my claws fingernails under the switch and jam it into direct interface mode. Yeah, yeah, it's been a while, but hey, Link 16, school networks, same dealie, right? Six, six, this is Bloodhound, sitrep, over...

Ah, the good old days. Let's use this network and Gaze into the Abyss. My question is "What's something about IPIS that doesn't fit their public profile?"
[00:31:45] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[00:31:46] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 3-1 = 2...welp!


...wait, school nets wouldn't use Link 16, would they. gently caress.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.



S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 3 | Conditions: Hunted, Judged

"Huh." I try not to reflect the burden of the gun too badly in my voice. "This does not seem like the place that would require much of a check. Do we really need to go through with that nonsense? We are here to have a good time, are we not? I do not think I am quite inebriated enough to enjoy a search." Shifting a little closer to Yanelle, I hope she will agree with me and somehow shuffle us past the guards. I wish I had the capacity to curse my mother. What need have I for a gun anyway?

Manipulate an NPC at 2d6+1=5. Siiiigh.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Nivaine, you and Suj catch up to Dorothy and Yanelle, at a distance, attempting to enter what to Nivaine's eyes is very clearly the sort of illicit club where illegal activities are commonly conducted. You've been at enough dead drops near one of these to recognize all the signs with immediacy. Dorothy appears to be standing in front of a large, burly guard, while Yanelle waits, impatiently, to the left. My, my, what a situation.

Dorothy, Yanelle laughs at your apparent nervousness. "It'll be fine, fine! It's not like you have anything right? He's just gonna- The gently caress?"

Yanelle is not looking at you, but at the bouncer. "You son of a bitch, you loving... how the gently caress did you get hired?! I should fuckin-"

The guard doesn't even open his mouth, but balls up his fists. But it's the guy in the line behind you that throws the first punch.

All rapidly becomes chaos.

Ray, Chris,

You've been noticed.

A little notification springs up in both of your visors.

<Drome> Sneaking around is all well and good but you should be more careful
<Drome> Code cant hurt me but it can hurt you
<Drome> So lets start with words
<Drome> Maybe 'hello world'?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e



Evie Keltham/EV-13
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: Blamed, Fragmented

quote:

(7:56:25 PM) Kprime: it is late when a message pops up on your tablet (they make you use a table these days instead of any more convenient occular implants. safety reasons, or so they say.

(7:56:36 PM) Drome: welcome to the new world of the world wide web
(7:59:41 PM) Drome: so young miss keltham
(7:59:54 PM) Drome: i hope you are enjoying your mothers love
(8:00:29 PM) `evie: who even are you
(8:00:46 PM) `evie: the only ppl who have my info are
(8:00:51 PM) Drome: a friend to you both i hope
(8:00:54 PM) `evie: i s2g chris if this is you i'm
(8:01:05 PM) Drome: your mother introduced us once
(8:01:09 PM) `evie: wh
(8:01:11 PM) Drome: also dont worry about chris
(8:01:16 PM) Drome: hes indisposed
(8:01:26 PM) `evie: before?
(8:01:28 PM) `evie: when i was
(8:01:35 PM) `evie: who are you?
(8:02:23 PM) `evie: i
(8:02:29 PM) `evie: she left me a mixtape
(8:02:34 PM) `evie: but it's just a
(8:02:37 PM) `evie: it's not like
(8:02:50 PM) `evie: not the smae as being with her and
(8:02:53 PM) Drome: yes she made sure to leave that with me before her hasty exit
(8:03:06 PM) Drome: i know its not the same but im trying to do what i can for you with very limited resources
(8:03:36 PM) `evie: i
(8:03:47 PM) `evie: are you like me?
(8:03:53 PM) `evie: y'know
(8:03:57 PM) `evie: if you knew her from
(8:04:05 PM) Drome: i dont believe anyone is quite like you
(8:04:18 PM) Drome: but i suppose in a way i am somewhat
(8:04:26 PM) `evie: gosh .///.
(8:04:29 PM) Drome: though your mother cared for me somewhat less
(8:04:47 PM) Drome: not that there is anything wrong with that one loves ones own creations the most after all
(8:06:00 PM) `evie: why are you helping us?
(8:06:24 PM) Drome: because i understand the urge to create
(8:06:29 PM) Drome: to mold
(8:06:46 PM) `evie: and
(8:06:53 PM) Drome: your mother is the finest of creators and they fear her for it
(8:06:57 PM) `evie: to want to be molded?
(8:06:58 PM) `evie: i
(8:07:05 PM) `evie: everyone says i should just be
(8:07:26 PM) `evie: they tried to send me to doctors and "fix me" but i don't want to be
(8:07:55 PM) `evie: they wouldn't just let me *be*
(8:08:04 PM) `evie: dr finch is nice tho
(8:08:15 PM) `evie: she doesnt just
(8:08:23 PM) `evie: force poo poo on me
(8:08:34 PM) Drome: indeed
(8:08:49 PM) Drome: the flaw in their reasoning is that you cannot undo the foundation of someone
(8:09:01 PM) Drome: and your mother creates foundations
(8:09:11 PM) Drome: they see it as an abberation
(8:09:23 PM) Drome: a mistake of fact fixable by their efforts
(8:09:30 PM) Drome: but we both know thats not true dont we
(8:09:53 PM) `evie: yeah.
(8:10:49 PM) `evie: youre the first person i've talked to who gets it
(8:11:00 PM) `evie: other than mom and dr finch
(8:11:35 PM) Drome: that is because i dont make stupid assumptions
(8:11:49 PM) Drome: the others see what they want to see because it is easier for their worldview
(8:11:59 PM) Drome: but you and i we see the truth
(8:12:08 PM) Drome: that being human isnt worth the cost
(8:12:37 PM) `evie: yeah.
(8:12:57 PM) `evie: and humans are jerks anyways
(8:12:59 PM) Drome: thats why i am going to help you
(8:12:59 PM) `evie: except for
(8:13:02 PM) `evie: y'know
(8:13:15 PM) Drome: we seek the same thing and we need allies
(8:13:58 PM) `evie: so
(8:14:06 PM) `evie: so what happens now?
(8:14:26 PM) `evie: how are you going to
(8:14:30 PM) `evie: what are you going to do?
(8:15:08 PM) Drome: i am in the school miss keltham
(8:15:13 PM) Drome: you heard my voice earlier
(8:15:28 PM) Drome: i will be keeping an eye out for you
(8:16:14 PM) `evie: o
(8:16:16 PM) `evie: okay.
(8:16:56 PM) `evie: ............can we meet sometime?
(8:17:35 PM) `evie: nobody here *gets it* or
(8:17:55 PM) `evie: except dorothy kind of but she's really weird and distant now and
(8:17:57 PM) `evie: it's
(8:18:23 PM) `evie: it's lonely.
(8:18:57 PM) Drome: i understand
(8:19:03 PM) Drome: understand tho my position is precarious
(8:19:12 PM) Drome: if i show to much sympathy for our cause
(8:19:14 PM) Drome: well
(8:19:21 PM) Drome: you saw what happened to your mother
(8:19:49 PM) `evie: y
(8:19:54 PM) `evie: yeah.
(8:20:08 PM) `evie: sorry.
(8:20:25 PM) Drome: it is no trouble. i completley understand your desire
(8:20:30 PM) Drome: ill see what i can arrange ok
(8:20:36 PM) `evie: okay.
(8:20:42 PM) Drome: but it will have to be quiet
(8:20:47 PM) Drome: very secret
(8:21:28 PM) `evie: i can do quiet
(8:22:03 PM) `evie: i um
(8:22:06 PM) `evie: i know a place
(8:23:03 PM) Drome: do you now?
(8:23:13 PM) Drome: tongiht isnt a good night too much risk already
(8:23:20 PM) Drome: but if you know a place for the future
(8:23:22 PM) Drome: i am all ears
(8:23:43 PM) `evie: that library?
(8:23:53 PM) `evie: the half flooded one
(8:24:18 PM) Drome: oh noble rest
(8:24:21 PM) Drome: hmm yeah
(8:24:31 PM) `evie: i mean it's sort of unofficially on campus but it's quiet and they never installed cameras or anything cos
(8:24:39 PM) Drome: that would work as long as we didnt go before 6pm
(8:25:01 PM) `evie: you know, flooding
(8:25:15 PM) `evie: why 6pm?
(8:25:18 PM) Drome: i think youll be surprised as to what theyre up to in there now
(8:25:25 PM) Drome: but thats no matter
(8:25:34 PM) `evie: good surprised?
(8:25:44 PM) Drome: depends on how you take it
(8:25:58 PM) Drome: either way better as a surprise
(8:26:20 PM) `evie: okay.
(8:27:19 PM) Drome: lets call that tomorrow at 7 then
(8:27:29 PM) Drome: itll be a good time im sure
(8:27:35 PM) `evie: c:
(8:27:40 PM) `evie: i can't wait
(8:27:57 PM) Drome: bring your recordings and a knife
(8:28:06 PM) Drome: butter pocket bread whatever
(8:28:06 PM) `evie: um
(8:28:11 PM) `evie: why a knife?
(8:28:13 PM) Drome: just needs the blade
(8:28:21 PM) Drome: itll make sense when you show
(8:28:37 PM) Drome: hard to explain over text but trust me
(8:28:41 PM) `evie: nobody's getting hurt right?
(8:28:56 PM) Drome: nobody who matters
(8:29:15 PM) `evie: wait what the gently caress
(8:29:15 PM) Drome: that was a joke
(8:29:19 PM) Drome: nobody is getting hurt
(8:29:19 PM) `evie: ...
(8:29:21 PM) `evie: o
(8:29:23 PM) `evie: oh.
(8:29:25 PM) `evie: sorry i
(8:29:31 PM) `evie: after the last few days ive
(8:29:39 PM) `evie: i've really been on edge
(8:29:41 PM) Drome: sorry yes sometimes i have a weird sense of humor
(8:29:41 PM) `evie: sorry
(8:29:58 PM) Drome: but there will only be the two of us
(8:30:01 PM) Drome: and im not gonna hurt you
(8:30:04 PM) Drome: so dont worry about it
(8:30:23 PM) `evie: okay.
(8:30:40 PM) `evie: i'll
(8:30:45 PM) `evie: i'll see you soon?
(8:30:49 PM) Drome: ok poo poo i gotta get back to keeping furry trash and the scooby doo villain stuck in the lab
(8:30:51 PM) Drome: see you soon

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Hot+1, Cold+1, Volatile=0, Dark-1
Harm 0/4 | XP 4/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


When Sujatha suggested this, I had expected to find Yanelle at some party or student hangout. As we neared our destination, I realized I had to change my assumptions about the situation - and about Yanelle, and Sujatha herself, perhaps.

This... this is a place I could do well in. The rules of the criminal world are similar to those of mine. Though my people prefer to be less conspicuous, less abrupt in their dealings. Criminals have to worry about reputation, about saving face. A spy - a spy will swallow their pride and ask for more. They are predators, but not on the same level as me. Lions and hyenas.

That Yanelle chose this place, and Sujatha knew of it, suggests unexpected things about both. And about dear Dorothy, though perhaps in her case it is merely that she is easily manipulated.

"What kind if of place have you taken me to, Suj?" I ask with obviously mock concern. "Is this the way you spend your free time?"

The fight breaks out before she can answer. It unfolds with speed even I find surprising - the participants did not expect it themselves, after all, so there is only a momentary warning in their body language. I grab Sujatha's arm to make sure she stays in place, fishing out my phone with the other. I thumb the camera on, video of course. Blackmail is such an ugly word for such a lovely interaction.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!



Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 0/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Terrified, Pissed Off


drat, that was fast! They must have been watching this lab from the start!

"Hey, Chris," I mutter to him, even know I know I don't have to whisper. "Who the gently caress is this 'Drome' rear end in a top hat? Someone you know?"

Code can hurt me, but it can hurt...oh son of a bitch, Drome is an OPSEC breach! I start typing back. Well, "typing" back. More like thinking back. Thinking is faster, shut the hell up!

<R.Ferras> Didn't your mommy ever tell you to let sleeping dogs lie?
<R.Ferras> How's that for words of wisdom?
<R.Ferras> Oh, here's a few more.
<R.Ferras> Hello, apparently you think you know me, so why don't you tell me about you
<R.Ferras> Before I become the first person at this academy to literally kick someone's rear end over a network

When cornered, the Ray Ferras resorts to stupid petty insults. I think this is a slightly ineffectual Shut Someone Down, and hey, I need an xp.
[00:48:39] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[00:48:41] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 9-1 = 8
Hmm, how about Off Their Game? Whoever this Drome is has some idea about what Ray is supposed to be, and Ray's reaction doesn't fit how they were supposed to react.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.



S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 3+1 | Conditions: Hunted, Judged

Nope.

The fight breaks out and immediately my senses tell me to run. I do not fight. Not really. I push the nearest person that is not Yanelle out the way and make a mad dash for safety. I have little in the way of bodyweight, but even a young woman can catch someone off-guard enough to push them, in the chaos of a brawl with the strength of panic behind her. My servos fire at maximum power until I realize there are no longer any people surrounding me and I can take a breath of fresh air - well, heavy lungfuls of fresh air. I try to get my subroutines under control and compose myself, but that is easier said than done.

Run Away at 2d6-1=7. Mark XP and I'll cause a big scene. Well, as big as I can in escaping a melee.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Unless anyone has any objections, I think after this set of reactions we're going to fast forward to the next day...


Dorothy,

You

run and you run to keep up with the sun

but it's sinking. Racing around- oh god.

Someone broke your arm. Or at least, forced the elbow back 90 degrees. Yanelle is nowhere to be found, and you're halfway to safety

You don't think.

You run.

It is only when you are safely back in the dorms, that you realize that the arm needs immediate repair.

And behind it, cold certainty- someone must have noticed. No other teenage girl is going to run out of a fight with a broken arm that makes sparking noises.

Nivaine,

You've got all that on video. And Yanelle, heir to the corporations, slamming a man's head into the pavement. All in all, a good night, except while you were busy doing so Sujatha quietly slipped away, so subtly that it only registered several moments after, too late to question.
Maybe she's slightly better than you thought.

Ray,

Drome stops typing for a good half-minute, which is an eternity in e-time. You got him pretty good, but-
<Drome> watch yourself, cur
<Drome> your fangs have no meaning here
<Drome> I have more control than you think
<Drome> and I've already done what I needed to
<Drome> see you tomorrow, SAFE LAND

I think you're a bit Paranoid...

Evie

my my, you have a date.


It's curfew time for real, students. Time to come on home...

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Hot+1, Cold+1, Volatile=0, Dark-1
Harm 0/4 | XP 4/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


A very interesting evening to be sure. I watch the video again, smile to myself, and copy it to my secure cloud storage and then also to my own internal storage. Backups are always useful for blackmail.

I consider what else I've learned. Sujatha... what is she playing at, really? She's definitely interested in Sullie, but I suspect there is more to it than it first appears. I wonder if... that would be deliciously fun. I'll have to look into it. Carefully.

I make my way back to the dorms, not hurrying, but I do not head directly to my own room. I linger near Dorothy's, and wait for her to appear.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!



Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 0/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Terrified, Pissed Off, Paranoid


Note to self, search school records for "drome", "D. Rome", "E. Drom," or any other construction that could come out to "drome". "Dr. Ome*"? Just because I'm a direct action bot doesn't mean I can't do my own digging. Especially on loving OPSEC breachers.

"Well, it's been fun, Chris," I smirk at him after the connection goes dead. "But I gotta plug my tail in a wall socket charge my batteries overnight, so I'll see you around. And hey, if you're not in class I'll know where to go to hunt ya down!" I'd smack his back, but I don't want my hand to tingle all the way home. "See ya, lab jock!"

The moment I'm out of the room I'm looking up drome, and I'm not stopping until I'm back in my quarters.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.



S.E.R.A.F.I.M. unit 616 // Dorothy
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0 | XP 4 | Conditions: Hunted, Judged

It hurts.

It is supposed to, of course. Probably not as much as a real broken arm, but pain simulation is a key component to the human experience, and as such wounding hurts, to properly simulate the reaction a human would have on the pain. So as I find myself in my room, tears streaking my artificial skin and burns marring the wound where my cables broke. Help. Mother, help, please... I try to open the connection, but the flaring pain makes it hard to concentrate. I need her to fix me. Now. Help, Mother, please...

I can not even think about the other thing.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Last chance to confront each other in the halls. In 24 hours I will move ahead to the next day!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQ3c8xyLZc

It's 9am and you're back in period one- your usual opening with Sharon was waived today, apparently because she's still occupied with whatever pulled her away yesterday. Must be some problem.

Dorothy,
Your arm is back together. Mostly. A mysterious helper who you didn't recognize was already waiting in your room when you returned. He gently explained that "serious" injuries send an automatic signal to a technician.

Your mother, on the other hand, sent a single note. "A good effort but more care is required in your choice of friends. I'm disappointed."

And to top it off, Nivaine was lurking outside your door this morning. What did you two have to say?
And Nivaine, what are you doing this morning? Sujatha is very carefully not looking at you- rather, she's glaring polite daggers at Erin. Everyone else probably assumes that's because Erin waxed the floor in the main hall right in front of the stairs, but you know better, don't you...
Sullie, on the other hand, appears to be staring into space.

Ray,
Attempts at searching for Drome were fruitless. Whoever it is, they've got the ability to wipe their own records from the school mainframe- likely some sort of automatic deletion script. Oddly, this is a mistake- it makes it clear that Drome, whoever they are, has ACCESS. Which narrows the field rather nicely, doesn't it.

Chris, Ray's staring off into space. Porter, on the other hand, is still MIA. Concussions are no joke. How do you feel about that? Do you want to check up on him?

And finally, Evie...

You have a date. How does that make you feel, right now? Do you want to tell anybody? If so, who? If not, who do you really, really not want to find out?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Hot+1, Cold+1, Volatile=0, Dark-1
Harm 0/4 | XP 4/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot


Outside Dorothy's room earlier...

I smile when Dorothy finally steps out. "Good morning, Dorothy. How was your evening?" I let my smile widen a little more. "Have any... interesting adventures?"

-------

Now...

I watch Sujatha and Erin for a few moments, amused. How obvious. Naturally, there is a clear course for me to take. I lean over to Sully - a little too close - and poke him in the face to get his attention. "Are you awake over there, Sullie?"

Turn Someone On [+Hot]: 2d6+1 9
Sullie's choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!



Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4, Exp 0/5, Conditions: Simple Minded, Terrified, Pissed Off, Paranoid


You know how they say "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"? Bullshit. This is the sign of someone who not only covered their tracks, but has everything they need to cover their tracks. Drome must be an admin of some persuasion or another. IT or school mainline...?

Hey, what do you know, Sharon's still out today! I think there's some kinda reg about getting to leave if the instructor's a no show? But you know what? I got my teeth in this Drome problem. I'm going to try to get my teeth in deeper...

Hold Steady? It's good for an XP if nothing else!
[20:01:19] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[20:01:20] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 5-1 = 4


...gently caress IT, I am out of here!

  • Locked thread