Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Niviane Bold
Theme

I tap my nails on the desk, in an intentionally flawed rhythm. A little piece of randomness in each cycle. A nervous tick, product of the sharper talons I hide away. But there is no reason I cannot utilize it for other purposes. I am just as interested as our minders as to the reactions of the others outside of apparent supervision.

I observe. Everett's clumsy approach - but it might work well on his selected subject. The others remain quiet for the moment. This will not do. If our minders desire information, I shall draw some out for them. After all, they would disappointed should I pass up such an opportunity. I need not reveal all, of course.

Still tapping on the smooth white surface in front of me, I consider the others. "Chris," I interject lazily, "Did you do something to our instructor? And the other monitors - did you need privacy for something? A confession perhaps. I wonder who is the lucky one."

Permanent Record posted:

Look: Predatory, hungry eyes
Origin: Instantiated this century

Stats: Hot +1, Cold +1, Dark -1, Volatile =0

Backstory: You're beautiful. Gain a String on everyone.
Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.

Moves:

Neural Trawl (The Feeding): You feed on hot blood scan someone's memories for secrets. If this is the first time they've ever been scanned, you both mark experience. When you feed, choose two:
~ you heal 1 harm previously suffered
~ you carry 1 forward
~ they don't die

Tracking Algorithms (Marked for the Hunt): When you feed on scan someone, you establish a close bond
with them. When you gaze into the abyss concerning their whereabouts or well-being, roll as if you had Dark 3.

Sex Move: When you deny someone sexually, gain a String on them. When you have sex with someone, lose all Strings on that person.

Darkest Self: Everyone is your pawn, your plaything. You hurt them and make them vulnerable, for sport, like a cat does with a mouse. You feed to the point of death whenever you’re alone with someone, though you take your time. You escape your Darkest Self when you’re put in your rightful place, by someone more powerful than you.

pre:
	 My Strings On You | Your Strings on Me
Evie: 			 4 | 1
Everett: 		 2 | 1
Dorothy: 		 1 | 0
Chris: 		 	 3 | 0
Ray: 			 2 | 3

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

I smile toothily at Ray to hide my surprise. There is something more to him than I had seen before. Dangerous. Fortunately another speaks up before it becomes obvious.

"I most certainly do." I lean across the table and pat EV-13's hand. "See? This poor girl is tongue tied by my presence." I wink at the warbot. Well played, that moment. But the game is not done yet.

I'll give Ray a String on me.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 8, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

"What can I say, I am very good at what I do." I stretch my arms over my head, intentionally drawing the hologram boy's attention. "If you wanted, I could show you a trick or two. Teach you how to use those systems of yours properly. I promise I would be gentle... mostly." I tilt my head at him, feigning innocence and bat my eyes. Amazing what such small movements can do. So many of my programmers complained about the inefficiency of human communication. What fools. "Or would that be too close to a date for you? I wouldn't want to drag you out of your mysterious depths too quickly."

I resume tapping my nails on the table as the conversation continues, still with no sign of our minders. The warbot plays sniper again. I think he still needs to learn his lesson. Yes, watching him squirm a bit would be - delicious. "Oh yes, much smarter - a shame you do not take advantage of it."

Shallow seems perfectly reasonable for Chris.

Going to respond to Chris' shutting me down by turning him on, because I think that would be the nastiest thing to do to him given his claimed preference.
[22:56] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 7+1 = 8

And shut down the wolfboy. Let's give him the condition Simple Minded. Feel free to name one for Niviane.
[22:59] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 8+1 = 9

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 10, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

I stare at our minder, for the first time caught completely off guard. Disengage - without manipulation. I understand each concept individually, but in that combination it is nonsensical. Like asking someone how to turn around while standing still. The concepts exclude each other.

It is impossible.

I flick my eyes to Dorothy. The one made to be human, the crippled one. Why be human when you can be more? She will take the lead here. She will set the parameters of the conflict. How can I begin to deal with such a thing without manipulation the situation in some fashion so I am not put at an irretrievable disadvantage?

My eyes flick back to Sharon. Perhaps... meta-levels. Yes. If I should not manipulate my partner, perhaps there is something else I can... adjust.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold
Hot +1, Cold +1, Volatile =0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot

My attention snaps back to Dorothy as she voices her question. I gesture dismissively. "They do it to themselves. I tease Chris, and he falls on his face. There is no reason for it to be humiliation except that he makes it so."

"And how are you so sure that I am at ease with it?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

I watch the unfolding resolution to the staged conflict for a moment, then turn back to my own partner and simply smile.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

"Maybe you should blame me," I respond, examining my nails, watching her over them. "Creepy. More so than the dead boy or the war machine? I suppose I shall take it as a compliment."

I lean forward, braced on one elbow and trailing my fingers on the desk between on, not quite touching her hands. "Yes, that fascinates you doesn't it. You should be repelled but perhaps you feel something else. And curious about why I should feel no remorse over my actions. So you think I should. Maybe if you explain why you think so, you'll convince me." I lean forward slightly more, so that I appear to be looking up when I speak to her, and let my finger touch her hand as I trail it back. Incidental contact. Unacknowledged.

Let's see if I can turn Dorothy on.
[13:40] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 3+1 = 4
Noope.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

"You like Chris - and by extension, since you are calling that out by way of juxtaposition, you mean you don't like me." I lean back in my chair, and fold my arms across my chest. "You think what I am doing is wrong, and hurtful."

Now this, is progress. I smile suddenly, and move my arms to fold them behind my head. "Excellent. Now we have a conflict to resolve. I was worried we would not be able to complete the exercise."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

This second absence of our minder does not strike me as a test. At least, not one planned. The results of it will certainly be taken into account though. And here is the warbot again, still in attack mode. How irritatingly predictable.

I turn to face him, not yet getting up from my chair, though the smile leaves my face. Not entirely by conscious will, but perhaps for the better. "Come now Ray, some of us are still trying to complete the assignment. And she did assign partners. Are your targeting protocols confused?"

Trying to Shut Ray down... And nope again.
[21:39] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 3+1 = 4

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

"I have always had empathy. But it only works if the other actually has complex enough feelings to empathize with. So I am not surprised you did not notice before now."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

I wait for Ray to depart, then sigh and raise my hands. What can I do, after all, with such a person? "I suppose it is now time to learn of the myriad mistakes of our masters and creators. I personally would prefer to be out new and exciting mistakes of my own." A wink, not to anyone specific. I wonder if one will take it as a personal gesture.

I stand by the door and wait for the others. I wonder whether Ray will take my arrival in their company as a sign of solidarity, and make him question his choice of putting himself outside of the pack, or as a gesture of weakness on my part. Either will suffice. I almost hope it is the latter... I do so enjoy when they see me coming and still fail to escape.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

Oh ho, what is this? Conspiracy and secrets. How delicious. I slide my book bag onto the table and then myself into my seat. "Good morning, good morning. Ready for another exciting journey into the distant past? Or is their gossip of a more recent vintage to enjoy?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

"That is interesting, isn't it? It might just be some students hoping to skip classes. Or... maybe it's something more sinister. A kidnapping plot, maybe? I would watch your back, Sulieman." I winks at him, and lean closer to Erin to mock whisper to her. "Almost everyone else is watching it already, of course."

I give her a moment to giggle and for Sulieman to splutter or preen as he desires, and lean back to look at Ray. The poor boy is about to explode. Excellent. It gives me a chance to work a few angles at once. I lean back in, and this time actually speak just for my seat mates. "I had a bit of a run in with Ray last period, and I think I should stay away from him a bit. I'm going to switch seats, okay? I'll see you two later on."

I stay long enough for them to comment, then cross the room back to Evie's seat and tap her on the shoulder, letting my hand linger a breath longer than strictly necessary. "Evie, would it be okay if I could switch seats with you today? I don't want to sit next to Ray right now." I pitch my voice low, but not so low than his enhanced hearing should miss it. I glance over in his direction, and lean in closer to speak into her ear, now quietly enough that even he shouldn't make it out. Close enough for her to feel my breath on it. So useful, something small like that, to be able to exhale. "And could you listen in to Erin and Sulieman for me? They know some interesting things about a hacking attempt yesterday, and maybe some other juicy gossip. Tell me all about it, and I'll do something special for you later."

I lean back and smile, tucking my hands behind me and tilting my head ever so slightly. "Thanks so much for helping me out."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 6, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

"It's just for one class," I cajole, leaning in closer again. "Can't you help me out just this once?"

I'll spend a String and give Evie an experience if she swaps seats!

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 13, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

"Thank you!" I manage to slip in as Evie scurries off. I slide into the vacated seat and smile at George and Sujatha. "So, good morning."

I have accomplished what I aimed to do, but it seems I may well be spending the rest of the class period on damage control - or perhaps not. I must consider that angle... I am not sure if she realizes I've noticed her interest, her hidden glances and shy approaches. A very useful hold to have, but one that must be put into play carefully. The others in our program may lack the awareness to notice it, but these humans will not fail to. In fact, they would make up something out of rumor and speculation anyways. Should I put some truth to their fevered imaginings? Will Evie do more for me if she is still chasing, or if she's guilty for having caught me?

Best to engage these two while I consider which options provide the most advantage. I reach up and adjust my cap, so casually unconscious.

"What's this about hats?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

"The two of you are just too precious by half." I put my chin in my cupped hands, elbows on the desk.

I casually twist a lock of hair that peaks out from under my own cap. "Did you two hear? Something happened over the weekend apparently."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

"You sit next to this one and you call me weird?" I cross my arms and look away, making my offense clear. "I don't know why I asked, really. All either of you really pay attention to is fashion - if you want to call it that. I'm sure you don't actually know anything interesting."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

I simply sit back and watch as the scene unfolds. The warbot has a look of triumph on his face - I misjudged him. There's even less to him than I expected. I put a hand over my mouth, feigning shock, but mostly to hide my smirk. It was bound to happen, but a little needling seems to have helped it along. And then the chaos it triggered, so much to exploit... Chris running away, everyone else recoiling in horror. Or perhaps not everyone. Unexpectedly bold of the replicant. Should I support her?

No. Not yet. Best to play this slowly. The hardest lesson to learn is when to sit back and do nothing. This, I think, is the perfect moment to put it into inaction.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

Things just keep getting better. I have both hands over my face now, and can't quite keep from shaking a bit with the repressed laughter. This should be good. I'll have to listen though, and make sure to stomp on the warbot's proverbial fingers if he manages to start crawling out of the hole he's dug.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

The teacher's arrival doesn't lead to quite the apocalyptic event I had been hoping for, but it sounds as if consequences will merely be delayed rather than avoided. This assembly, though... This could be a problem. Outside interference could change things in unexpected ways. In the meantime, there is some work that can be done.

I go over to Dorothy, and speak to her quietly. "That was quite brave of you. He is rather... unstable. Perhaps we should work together to keep him in check?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

"They have him under control - for now. What about when they aren't around? He is not going to stop until someone stops him. We don't have to like each other to work together. His actions are bad for both of us, aren't they?" I smile toothily at her. "Think about it. We can plan more later."

I slip off into the crowd for the moment, looking for Sujatha. She seemed to know something. When I do find her, I try to continue the conversation from before. "Someone's mother, you said? That's sort of scary, what sort of person would do that?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

I sense the other hunter, and see the warbots reaction to it, see him slip away. I wonder what lie he tells himself to hide the fear.

Fear is something I know. An old ally. And if this hunter strays too close, I have claws of my own.

"Yes, we are quite exceptional, aren't we?" I make a show of peering around the crowd. "I can barely see with everyone around like this. Isn't there somewhere we could go without so many people, where we could see properly?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

I nudge Sujatha, and direct her attention to corner. "Think we can get over there? We'd be able to see better, and no one would see us, so no one would come over to bother you either."

I take hold of her hand to keep us together and start moving towards the back of the auditorium, making as if to head for the restrooms, claiming that Sujatha lost a contact and needs a hand to find her way out so she can put in a spare, but once we get free of the crowd quickly cut around behind the bleachers - teachers always check there, so they're no good as a hiding spot - to get to that corner.

Not sure if I should roll anything, aiming to stake a claim first and chase away anyone who shows up after.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

"Something weird..." I say, leaning in an putting my hand on her arm, speaking in a sing-song way, clearly pretending to be scandalized. "It's something terrible isn't it? Some awful secret! I can't bear to hear it." I tilt my head up and look away, then glance at her out of the corner of my eye and wink. "Don't say anything! I won't even listen."

Striking the right balance is a fine thing. Of course I want the information - but how much better if she's the one begging to tell me?

Rolling to turn her on.
[17:12] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 7+1 = 8

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

Not what they say they are... Interesting. But is it a problem for me? There are, after all, many targets here besides me - besides us.

I tighten my grip on her arm slightly. "What's wrong? If you tell me, maybe I can help. Do you know who it is?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

Not trusting Erin is easy - I don't trust anyone.

I watch Sujatha leave, considering. Obviously she had an agenda more involved than the mere gratification sharing someone else's secrets provides. I hold my hand up to my mouth to hide a smile, perhaps even a small shiver of anticipation. So many threads to untangle here.

I decide to stay where I am for the moment, and scan the crowd for my next target - Erin.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

I withdraw further into the shadows, observing the flow of the crowd, in particular how the social interactions swirl around Erin and Sujatha. What do they have against each other? I gather data and analyze. I'm good at it - I have to be, if I'm going to manipulate.

What is their connection? And how can I use it?

Doing this as a Gaze Into the Abyss.
[20:09] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 6-1 = 5
Oops.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold

I catch her looking, the special glint in her eye. Sloppy. Unacceptable. I need to fall back, regroup.

Still. How much better to have a real adversary. I can't quite keep the smirk off my face as I try to slip away, so I can re-engage on my own terms.

Probably a Run Away, so...
[23:08] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 9 = 9

Just short of getting away clean. Hm, let's go with... run directly into something worse.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold
Harm 0/4 | XP 2/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot

I feel a shiver pass through my chassis as I become aware of the other presence. Every evasion system, every self-preservation protocol, every tactical assessment screams run. Abort mission. Break cover. Escape.

Forget my plans, my hopes, for this place. Abandon what I've begun. Leave everything half-done and in shambles.

But I am more than a machine. More than a program. I choose.

And I choose to stand my ground.

Hold steady. Choosing to keep my cool.
[18:56] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 6+1 = 7

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold
Harm 0/4 | XP 2/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot

The sudden appearance of Evie and Dorothy irritates me, especially seeing them together. What are they planning? I assumed they would become friends, but so soon - it presents complications.

Of course, that is of decidedly secondary concern with the appearance of the woman. Katherine Keltham. A singularly dangerous human. Which makes her a potentially very useful one.

Before I can attempt to take action, in regards to either situation, that idiot mutt shows up to make his usual mess of things. I press back into the shadows to watch it unfold, to see what opportunities arise in the aftermath.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Niviane Bold
Harm 0/4 | XP 3/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot

Ignored, forgotten - perfect. I slip back further into the shadows as this little family drama plays out. The amount of data is incredible, intoxicating. So many emotions, fears, needs. Part of me wants to hang back, watch it all unfold.

But that presents a problem. Dr. Keltham blowing the dogboy apart would be a positive outcome, but two of my most valuable sources are caught in the middle. Evie especially so, and Dorothy pulled in more and more. This is not a situation I can control. I lack the power to enforce my will here.

So, the best I can manage is the sabotage whatever plans the good doctor has. Chaos is my ally now. I look around for the nearest fire alarm, and then make my move for it. Fulfilling a longing I've seen in the eyes of my fellow students many times.

e: Run Away (+volatile): 2d6 7
Definitely choosing "cause a big scene"

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 3, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I catch the edge of the chaff device, vision going monochrome and my depth perception failing for a moment. Seems she is attempting to egress now. I turn, crash into the wall, and stumble down the hallway for a few steps as my senses recover. If I am quick and quiet, perhaps I can see how Dr. Keltham is getting out of the school, where she is going.

I do not think it will be the last I see of her, and when she returns, I intend to have the advantage.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 4, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Just dropping off some presents for the moment.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I smile at the others as I wait my turn, swinging my feet as I sit in the uncomfortable chair, hands folded primly in my lap. I turn my grin especially on wolfboy.

"That ended better than it might have," I comment idly.

------------

"I wasn't the one she was paying attention to, and the others were all there. If I had to deal with her alone..." I lie through my teeth, of course. Having a chance to deal with the woman one and one would be the ideal scenario, if I had to deal with her.

The worst, what I would have to try and escape immediately, is being stuck with her and wolfboy and no one else. Others would be more resistant to the Doctor, or I could handle them myself. But Ray hates me already, is easily manipulated, and I have no doubt about the result of a physical confrontation between us.

That is a scenario to be avoided at all costs.

"Yes... I will try to be a friend." I smile at John. "I would very much like to spend some time with Erin." So there is the connection. The most likely way that Erin knows about me. Sujatha warned me about her, so I will take that to heart. I will keep my enemies close.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The atrium. An excellent choice. I can feel daemons cataloging the opsec benefits of the location, the symbolic messages, the psychology of choice at play. The analysis niggles at the back of my consciousness, ready, eager to be consulted.

I ignore it all.

I suspect that all of my assumptions, all of my background on Erin is a lie. A delicious one, one to savor as I untangle it, explore its many layers. But I can't begin that process yet. I have perhaps a single solid datum on her. Attempting to draw conclusions at this point would be... counterproductive.

Besides, at the moment I don't actually care what she intended. What she's thinking. It's time to go on the offensive. I will make this choice of meeting place mine. I will decide what she's thinking about.

She will think about me.

I pause at the terminator, staying in the shadows until the moment I'm certain she's aware of me, then I step across the line into the light. A slow, deliberate walk. A slight sway of the hips, not so much that it can't be explained by the soft soil beneath my feet, but enough to be noticed. A hand trailed idly across a dewy leaf.

I stop in front of her, hands folded behind me. "You wanted me?" I say sweetly, cocking my head and smiling at her, batting my eyelashes.

Turn someone on (+hot): 2d6+1 12

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I tilt my head, looking her up and down rather obviously. A skillful riposte - or, it would be, against someone without my capabilities. I turn, and drop onto the bench she just vacated.

"If you wouldn't prefer somewhere more private...?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I pull back as she gets closer. Just fair enough to tease. "Maybe it can be for you..." I turn my head slightly, still making her chase me. My arms go around her, my hands behind her back. I gaze at her through my lashes. "If you do me a favor, from time to time."

As I speak, I let my claws unfold. Perhaps she knows what I plan. Either way, she's put herself in my grasp, and I am not one to pass up such an opportunity.

Seems like a good opportunity to my Neural Trawl. I'll choose ~ you carry 1 forward and ~ they don't die.

After this, I think I might go find Sujatha. Let her know she was right about Erin. Of course, she should probably be worrying more about me...

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Harm 0/4 | XP 4/5 | Conditions: Suspicious, Tiny Babby Robot

Sullie. I had discounted him as simply a pretty face, a golden boy no deeper than his appearance. A mistake - I should have recognized an excellent cover and dug deeper. Proved the shell hollow instead of assuming it. Erin.... delicious Erin, who seems to love secrets for their own sake. Perhaps she is a front for some other power still. I will need to keep looking, but I suspect for her the game is played for its own sake. I can appreciate the sentiment, but I so much prefer to win than to merely participate.

But that's a matter for later. I return my focus to Sujatha. We had unfinished business from before. And, of course, there was the question of from where her suspicions of Erin arose. My systems reel myriad strategies for this encounter, but all of the most preferential have on thing in common. Vulnerability.

I take Sujatha's hand - carefully, lightly - and look up at her with widened eyes. "You were so right about Erin. I don't know what she's after, but she wants something from me." I sigh. "I'm so glad you were looking out for me. How did you know?"

Turn Someone On (+Hot): 2d6+1 12

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Hot+1, Cold+1, Volatile=0, Dark-1

I let a smile spread across my face. I'm hardly surprised by her motivation, but her strategy - how very daring. To use me to do the dirty work, keep her hands clean so she doesn't soil her love. Well - I am a weapon, after all. But not a simple one. Not one without my own motivations.

"Of course, of course... it's a secret between us, after all." I pause a moment, then, "I really appreciate all the help you've given me. There must be something I can do to help you. I'm sure I'll think of something." Meaning the opposite, naturally. "Did you... notice anyone else we should look out for?" I meet her gaze, make sure she knows what I'm really asking. "I could explain things to them - maybe it's just a misunderstanding."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Hot+1, Cold+1, Volatile=0, Dark-1

I smile at Sujatha. "I don't mind at all. Call it a date, then." I cock my head slightly at her, then add, "Where do you expect her to be?"

• Locked thread