Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBB2bPwKWVg

What is this?
This is a game based on the Korean game show called The Genius Game. It is a game where individuals compete in games which have relatively simple rules but many possible solutions. There is no such thing as the "spirit of the rules" in this game. Anything that is not explicitly denied in either the rules in this post or the rules of that specific match is fair game.

You are meant to try to "break" the game as much as possible in order to win. Creativity will be an asset. However, try not to be a dick. Please remember to treat both the players and the mods with respect. I know we're goons, but let's show some common sense.

Watching the show is not a prerequisite to signing up, but it is highly, highly recommended. You will be at a significant disadvantage if you haven't watched it. Good news is that the entire first season is easily available! The first season is available on youtube. You can also check out the Genius thread in TVIV for more details. I would suggest if you don't watch all of it at least watch the first episode of the first season to get an idea about how you will be expected to play.

How this game works!
Genius Game is split into two phases: Main Match and Death Match. Everyone still in the game participates in the Main Match. These will last several hours and will use both IRC and the thread. Each match has different win conditions. The winner(s) of the main match will receive immunity from the death match. If there is only one winner they will be able to assign a secondary immunity to another player. The loser of the Main Match will go to the Death Match. There they will be able to select one player who does not have immunity to compete against them in a 1v1 elimination challenge. The loser of said match will be eliminated from the game. The winner of the Death Match gets all of the loser's garnets added to their total.

Garnets?
There will be a cash prize for the winner of the season. This will be determined by the total number of garnets in the game. Each Main Match will give an opportunity to win garnets. However, there will also be chances to spend garnets for advantages in the Main Match, which will be given as details in the rules for that specific match.

Garnets will be cashed out at the end of the game at a rate of $1 per garnet. So if the final garnet count is 75 then the total prize will be $75.

Garnets can be traded/loaned/gifted/sold/etc to any other player in the game. To do this you must inform me (Asiina) via IRC or the thread that you are giving a certain amount of garnets to another player. This can only be done during the active match time. Mods are not responsible for holding anyone to any promise you have made to each other. Once you have given up your garnets they belong to the other player. Whether they choose to honour whatever arrangement you had is up to them.

Garnet totals will be announced at the start of the Main Match and before the players are chosen for the Death Match.

Communication
This is probably the biggest departure from the Survivor games, so read this carefully. Unlike Survivor, there will be NO COMMUNICATION outside of both the designated areas and the designated times of the game. This game will take place over two mediums: IRC and forum thread.

There will be 4 IRC rooms for this game. Think of these as the side rooms from the show. You are only permitted to be in one room at a time and once you leave a room you cannot return to it for at least 3 minutes. These rooms are designed to offer some degree of private conversation, as nobody can see what was said before they entered the room, while still limiting the number of people you could realistically talk to.

The forum thread will act as the main room. It is where results of games will be posted and where you will often be expected to declare your actions for a particular game. The role of each room and the thread will be detailed for each game.

The thread will be CLOSED shortly after each match has concluded and opened again roughly 1 hour before the following match. Alliances are not strictly forbidden, but they must be created or maintained only during this time. In addition, allying with the same person from match to match may not be in your best interest due to the nature of the game.

Ties
Ties are bad. We want a winner and a loser for every game. Do NOT try to engineer a tie.

The games have been created in order to limit the possibility of a tie occurring, however ties are still possible for some games. Each game will have one predetermined contingency to resolve a tie situation. This will not be given in advance so that players do not try to abuse it. If the contingency is applied and a tie still remains then the result will be determined via the score on an annoying flash game. We have a lot of flash games prepared, but nobody wants to QWOP for their life. Try your best to limit creating a tie.

Additional Rules:
The following rules all apply to the game. However, just to make sure that the game isn't thrown into disarray, signing up for this game, you are effectively :toxx:ing yourself for any rule with a :siren: in it. Violating these big-time rules will result in a 100,000 hour probation. It's not that hard to not cheat.

• There will be 12 players. Every player is playing an individual game trying to get to the end. There will be only one winner.

• You are playing for a grand prize! :siren:Sharing of this prize/Conspiracy of sharing/splitting/buying another player something with it is strictly forbidden.:siren:

• This game is split into two different challenges: Main Match and Death Match. Main Matches will occur on Mondays and Thursdays, and will involve all current players. Death Matches will occur on Tuesdays and Fridays, and will usually involve only the two people up for elimination. Occassionally others may be asked to participate in the Death Match, but this will be optional and will be told in advance. Both Main Matches and Death Matches will occur between the hours of 7-10PM EST. It is very likely they will take up the entirety of this time. Do not sign up if scheduling will be an issue.

• The games will be played using a combination of forum thread and IRC. Occassionally flash will be required. Trying to play by phone is very much not recommended.

• Private Messages aren't required, but they're strongly the preferred form of contact, and if we go over the amount of registered players, those with PMs on will have priority over those who don't and do not give alternative contact information. IRC is absolutely required. You can use the web client mibbit, but I would recommend downloading a real IRC client.

• :siren:There is to be NO COMMUNICATION with anyone outside of the designated IRC rooms and the thread when they are open.:siren:

• :siren:IF YOU ARE ELIMINATED, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO COMMUNICATE WITH ANYBODY STILL ACTIVE IN THE GAME..:siren: The same goes for people still in the game contacting people who were voted out. Spectator posts are permissible by people not participating in the game, as long as it is not done in a way to assist or harm any active player. Conversely, if you are a still active player in the game, and a prior voted out player is contacting you, please let us know!

• :siren:You are not permitted to speak with any potential players about the game before it begins.:siren: This is mostly to effectively discourage pre-game alliances, and any long-term tainting of the game itself. Please play with SOME semblance of honor to keep things somewhat fair.

• When eliminated, you are allowed to make only one post as a goodbye message, with a maximum of 100 words. No workarounds/linking to a bigger message or anything cute like that.

• NO EDITING YOUR POSTS EVER!!!! Evidence of editing can result in punishment ranging from a challenge penalty to a forced removal from the game depending on the severity and frequency. Ninja edits may be ignored but abuse will be punished.

• Do not post/send chatlogs in this thread/via PM/via IRC/note inside a bottle drifted through the ocean/etc. Please do not be a shitbag!!!!!

• Your co-moderators are Dr. Hurt and Rarity if I am ever indisposed and a decision needs to be made.

RULES FOR THE VIEWER'S VISTA

There will be a special Viewer's Only google doc, where non-players can see some content unavailable in the thread or to the actual players of the game, ranging from chatlogs to advance knowledge on upcoming twists and turns, along with some other perks. However, we want to keep things clean and fun and enjoyable for everyone, so before you enter the the Viewer's page, there are some rules that apply before entering.

• What goes on in the Vista, stays in the Vista. This is by far the most important rule of the viewer's vista. Anything that is posted in there, cannot be posted in the thread or leaked to players. Viewer's commentary is mildly allowed in the thread, but we strongly prefer to keep it in the vista.

• You are not allowed to communicate with the players of the game. Unless they are eliminated, you cannot communicate with any player of the game as long as it is going on. This is to keep things fair without tainting the natural flow of the game. Eliminated players are welcome to join the vista.

• If you want access to the Viewer's Vista please PM one of the mods. Once you gain access to the vista you are no longer eligible to be a player.

There are 12 spots. However, even if you have pre-signed up please read ALL of the rules (especially about scheduling and format) before you confirm you actually want to play. I am being very inflexible about time changes, so be sure you can actually participate.

If you want to sign up please fill out the following totally serious questions. You may also post in the thread but only answering these important questions will put you in the pool to play. Signups are not first come first serve but rather will be chosen out of the pool of people who sign up. I expect there to be a lot of interest so sorry if you don't get picked to play this go around.

Application Form

Asiina fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

Sure I'll do it. I can't play Starcraft but I can do actual crafts so maybe that will come in handy?

It will totally help with the Knitting Game. Just don't forget to actually sign up via the form.

busb posted:

I will be following with interest, but probably not sign up at this stage. Good luck!

MildManeredManikin posted:

Wow this looks cool but I just wasted two months of my life on a forum game...

That's fine. Let me know if you want a link to the vista.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Those of us who don't read rules thank you

Yeah, please read the rules guys. ESPECIALLY the ones about scheduling. I am not going to be at all flexible towards the schedule so if you cannot be around a computer from 7-10pm EST on Monday, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays then sorry but you won't be able to play.

It's the only way I can accommodate the fact that some of these games are going to take a while.

Superrodan posted:

I just signed up, but I need to know some things for scheduling that may actually eliminate me in advance.

Are there expected to be 12 "episodes" like on the show where an episode consists of a Monday/Tuesday and then a Thursday/Friday? That would mean the competition runs for only 6 weeks. If so, what Monday/Thursday does it start? I worry because I am leaving for a vacation the last week in October so if it doesn't begin a week from tomorrow by the latest and there are ever scheduling issues I would not be available for the finale.

I didn't see a start date in the OP but I also have never participated in a goon event so I don't know if the typical start is "as soon as we have enough people" or if it is usually a date chosen in advance. Regardless, if it starts in the next week or so I would love to participate. If not, then please disregard my application and put me in the Viewer's Vista.

Yeah, each Monday/Tuesday and Thursday/Friday will be an "episode" so it should last about 6 weeks. I am planning on having the first episode up on Thursday since we already have quite a few signups!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

mr.capps posted:

We will be given mibbit links for the irc channels right because I am lazy and don't want to download a client

You should download a client!

But yes, you will be given links. However remember you can only be in one at a time.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
No, no chatlogs. It's in a rule.

quote:

Do not post/send chatlogs in this thread/via PM/via IRC/note inside a bottle drifted through the ocean/etc. Please do not be a shitbag!!!!!

The irc channels are acting as live conversation and there are no chatlogs in live conversations unless you are wearing a wire (you are not allowed to wear a wire).

As with Survivor you can tell people anything that was told to you, but it has to be your own words.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
For those who are new to IRC I will write up a little IRC tutorial for the main game thread.

Seriously though I've been using IRC since the dawn of the internet. Get your poo poo together, people!

Looking at you, capps.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I have a legally owned copy of mIRC.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure we're the only ones.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So I'm going to be closing signups at 8pm tonight. I have not made any final decisions about who is in and it is not first come first serve, so if you want to play you still have time to apply.

However for everyone who is thinking about applying or already applied I will once again bring your attention to the scheduling section of the rules

quote:

This game is split into two different challenges: Main Match and Death Match. Main Matches will occur on Mondays and Thursdays, and will involve all current players. Death Matches will occur on Tuesdays and Fridays, and will usually involve only the two people up for elimination. Occassionally others may be asked to participate in the Death Match, but this will be optional and will be told in advance. Both Main Matches and Death Matches will occur between the hours of 7-10PM EST. It is very likely they will take up the entirety of this time. Do not sign up if scheduling will be an issue.

I will not be changing these times. This game will last approximately 6 weeks. Check your calendars and if you have a scheduling conflict that means you will miss days then please let me know so I can take you out of the pool. These games are all designed to work with the exact number of people there will be. Missing a match will be a huge pain and may even make the game unplayable for everyone else.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think one episode per week will have people lose interest. It will also be much more difficult to schedule. Can you say for sure you won't have anything to do 3 months from now? I know I can't promise that.

Honestly most people will only need to participate on the Main Match days. Unless you are constantly in the Death Match but winning then you won't have to play 4 days a week, and even if that's the case that will be one person.

As for spectators, I will talk more about this when I put up the main thread, but I have a plan for IRC spectators. It is already set in place.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh and no, vista participants will never influence the outcome of the games. If someone does end up missing a match, which is always possible because who knows your power goes out or wild dogs attack or afk tornado, then we will attempt to still have the game be played. It depends what the game is though. For example the first game must be played with 12 people and the final 3 game must be played with 3 people or they absolutely will not function.

However assuming the game is able to go forward, the person who missed it will automatically be in the death match. The loser of the game will be their opponent. I will put this in the rules for when the main thread goes live, but I really really hope we won't need it. I'll also give the players my contact information so hopefully we can know in advance if there will be an issue to try to find a solution.

That said, this is for emergencies only, not "oh hey I totally have a class on Thursday nights I need to miss Thursday."

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MildManeredManikin posted:

You should collect the chat logs and then edit them together for an episode that will be shown to the viewers complete with extreme ways playing at the critical moment.

I will do this as well.

But it's also nice to watch live.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Like who knows, I'm gonna try to make this fun for the spectators but this is the first time this kind of game has been run so maybe it will just not translate well as a spectator game in the same way that Survivor does.

The mods and I are going to try our best to make it as fun for the spectators as for the players, so I hope it works out, but in the end this is all pretty experimental.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Mills posted:

This changes a key mechanic of the entire game and I'm not sure how you could apply this ruling if two (or even three) people miss a challenge. As unpalatable as it might initially sound, have you considered each contestant nominating a personalised backup player?

I have and this is what I've decided. If two or three people miss a challenge then we'll deal with that as it comes, but frankly this is why I am saying be sure about schedules. I don't want to give a spot to someone who is going to flake out, especially when I'm going to have to turn people away.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

quote:

The thread will be CLOSED shortly after each match has concluded and opened again roughly 1 hour before the following match. Alliances are not strictly forbidden, but they must be created or maintained only during this time. In addition, allying with the same person from match to match may not be in your best interest due to the nature of the game.

You are welcome to make alliances, I won't stop you. Sticking with the same group of people through all games may end up being a disadvantage though.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So I'm going through the signups to try to make a good mix of people to put in and I realize that someone put their name as Jeremy, and no Jeremy posted in this thread.

Did you give me your real name and not your forum name. If so please PM me because :laffo:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I might have to, but Jeremy gave some quality answers.

Jeremy how could you do this to me.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So I'm sending out PMs to people who made casting, although I want them to confirm a few things before I announce it and put up the other thread. Sorry if you don't get a PM. I was trying to get a good mix of people I know and people who are new and so people from both groups didn't make the cut. But for those who didn't I am hoping for a second season so you will hopefully get to play.

For those who have received PMs I want you to set up IRC a little before we start, so here is a tutorial on how to do that.

IRC Tutorial

This is going to be a basic rundown of how to use IRC. I'll be covering Mibbit and mIRC in this tutorial. If people use other programs like pidgin I'm sure you'll be able to find something to help you out.

Joining a Server

Mibbit

I will have direct links to the chat rooms but if you need to connect simply to the server go to http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/

1) Click Server to bring up more options
2) Type in "irc.synirc.net"
3) Put in your nick. Try to use your forum name or an easily identifiable alternative
4) Click connect

mIRC

Note: this might look slightly different depending what version you have

1) Go to options
2) Navigate to Connect -> Servers
3) Click Add
4) Type in a description and the server information. You can leave the port to the default.

Click through and then click the little lightningbolt icon in the top left corner

Registering your Nick

I want everybody in the game to do this so that I can set up necessary permissions. This is the same in both mibbit and mIRC

1) Make sure you have chosen the name you want.

2) Type /msg Nickserv register <password> <email> (without the <>)

3) Follow the instructions of the confirmation code emailed to you. It should be /msg NickServ confirm <code>

4) When you log on now you will have to give your password as /msg Nickserv identify <password> (without the <>)

Once you have done this please tell me what your Nick is.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Eastern best time zone

Sorry everyone else for living at the incorrect time.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The cast has been chosen and the thread is now up!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664087

However it will be closed until approximately 5:30-6:00pm Thursday.

If you weren't able to make it in this time, hit me up with a PM if you want to come join the vista.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hal.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, very sorry about those who didn't get in. I wanted a mix of people I didn't know and mafia people, but that meant that people from both groups didn't get to play.

There's always next time round!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It goes Hal at 1221, Gulag at 666, then fitty at 153.

Although derp answered "the internet once told me it was 145, but that was a long time ago so its probably like 400 by now" so take that into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Thread is now open and live, so I'm shutting this down. Good luck everyone who is playing and I'll see the viewers in the vista.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664087

• Locked thread