Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Sharp graphics, kidc! And thanks for linking the site. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

#DangerNation :getin:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

go3 posted:

What if at Homestead the final 4 are unable to start the race

I was wondering about that too. Championship leaders Bobby Allison (1983), Dale Earnhardt (1993), and Jeff Gordon (1995) prepared for that by having their backup cars entered into the season finale with Jimmy Insolo, Neil Bonnett, and Jeff Purvis driving, respectively. This way, if the title contender's car didn't start, they could jump into the backup.

I wrote an opinion piece predicting the Final Four would do this at Homestead - and maybe other Chase drivers would use them to manipulate the points system in the other nine races. With so many technical alliances with small teams today, I wouldn't rule it out.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

I'd love it if Jeff wore this shirt.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Once Sandler and James pop up in a Framily ad, we'll have achieved a singluarity of awful.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

FuzzySkinner posted:

I wonder if Daytona would even be the race you'd want to do VIP at?

Like it would seem like things would be a lot more high stress among drivers/teams/security if you hanging around the pits during that whole race.

I've also heard NASCAR officials are kind of dicks and refuse to let you anywhere near the cars/take pictures of the cars.

I think if you were going to go VIP? The Glen or Sears Points would be better bets, though I could be wrong on that. LASTCAR always seemed like he gets in good there, though he is a part of the media, and well...the king of sears point.

I recommend Sears Point to anyone for just about any reason. :)

For the NASCAR weekend, the track's really expanded fan access over the last few years to make it easier to get cold passes and access to pit road and driver intros during pre-race. Just this past year, we had our first outdoor driver's meeting where fans could watch. I imagine the difference for VIPs is being able to go to those places when the track is hot, and being able to participate in the socials the staff sets up at Fisherman's Wharf and/or local wineries during race week. The track admin staff is really friendly and helpful, too, and they keep to a minute-by-minute schedule during NASCAR weekend to make sure their VIPs get where they need to be. Joey Chestnut, the hot dog eating champ, was the main attraction this year and he seemed like he was everywhere.

I can't really comment on the NASCAR officials themselves, as I've tended to stay out of their way. But I can say that, even with basic fan access, you can get really close to the cars. The picture of me in front of the #19 car on my website's banner was taken a few months before I got my media credentials.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Cubey posted:

It'll all be worth it when Talladega eliminates Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr., ending the season-long battle between the two most popular drivers.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Talladega race will be even more boring and anticlimactic than last fall's single-file parade.

Although I'm struggling to imagine what that would look like.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

The way this conversation has gone is a great sign the Wednesday before the first round of the Chase.

Sheesh, are we gonna survive this?!

:lol:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

High_Life posted:

Just home from Chicagoland as first race. Race seemed kinda boring, but I had a Hot Pass and watched most of the race from the pit. It's insane down there but I wish there was more pitting. First one was like Lap 50 because people were running out of gas. Needed more wrecks!

Also was carted around in a golf cart and got into the Gatorade winners circle and got a nice confetti blast. Not bad for my first race. I'm thinking that sitting in the grandstands is going to be a let down after that.

Awesome, sounds like you got some great access - you'll always remember your first race. And yeah, green-flag stops aren't that interesting when the field gets all strung-out, but those caution-flag ones were probably pretty good.

So, are you just now starting to follow NASCAR?

Also, awesome TT avatar. :hfive:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Okay, so which one of you made this?

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

anotherblownsave posted:

The best loving paint scheme ever

Agreed.

I would've also accepted this:

maffew buildings posted:

What races would you gents recommend I watch, I have some free time

Harveygod's recommendations are very good ones. Put these in your playlist too:

1992 Hooters 500 at Atlanta (Cup Series)
Absolutely essential if you haven't seen it. A legit Game 7 moment.

1993 Save Mart 300 at Sears Point (Cup Series)
Why we need more road courses.

2000 Daytona 250 at Daytona (Truck Series)
Trucks without restrictor plates on a superspeedway.

2002 Sharpie 500 at Bristol (Cup Series)
Bristol the way it used to be.

2004 Aaron's 499 at Talladega (Cup Series)
One of the most physical restrictor-plate races ever.

EDIT: Also look for the 1991 Goody's 500 at Martinsville (Cup) - the reason that Skoal Bandit car owns.

EDIT2: And literally any Busch/Nationwide race at Montreal (2008-2012). Seriously - every one of them was an instant classic.

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 18, 2014

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

I'd also recommend this five-minute video by NASCAR Truck Series driver Chris Lafferty.

It's a five-minute show with two minutes of opening sequence, one minute of commercials for KOMA Unwind Relaxation Drink, then 45 seconds of NASCAR historian Don Miller talking about the sport before Chris loses interest and plays cards instead.

Still better than ESPN's pre-race.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Well I guess now we know what Stenhouse is going as.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

High_Life posted:

New to the sport but I love it. Will be at Homestead. I pushed my company to see it as a valuable spend in ad dollars so got to do the whole wine and dine thing. Had passes to the kickoff party they have downtown but it was Thursday at like 10 and me and the misses worked Friday so we passed. I may or may not have been on MRN to talk about the product.

Well hey, welcome to the party! :)

If I may ask, how'd you get into the sport? To say NASCAR's had a hard time attracting new fans would be a huge understatement. Do you have a favorite driver?

You're in for something special for the finale at Homestead. None of us have a clue how this new championship format will work out, so you'll bear witness to some rather strange NASCAR history. Feel free to drop by in #IRC for the races - we'll give you a good idea of the storylines and ridiculousness all the way down to last place.

How 'bout this, guys? Two new fans in the last month! Haven't seen that since 2004.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

High_Life posted:

To be fair I just recognized the compatibly of the product line I manage and the sport. Made some calls, spent some dollars, and am trying to get my brand on a hood and next too a big 400. It's an amazing day and experience, to be sure, but I may have rose colored glasses view of the experience. I was given stickers for my car window and wound up driving near pit road before we realized we were not in the credentials area. A red official window sticker apparently gets you anywhere you want to go. Hot lap in pace car is pretty fun too. Watched the end from pit road and was in the Gatorade winners circle Getting the confetti cannon shower to wrap up the day. I am starting to peel from the sunburn btw.

It was a little overwhelming on some level because we we're told to go wherever we wanted, just don't get in the way and cars aren't stopping. Also I root for JJ cause of business type advantages.

It still sounds awesome. Like we were discussing here a while back, VIPs get good treatment, especially now since NASCAR is trying to court new sponsors and personalities.

And a potential new sponsor, I presume? Neat. I'm sure you can't talk much about where you're looking to promote, but I'd love to hear anything you can disclose.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Waltzing Along posted:

How did they cheat?

E: next time I see my dad, I'm going to borrow the Nascar book I bought him. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1412797845/ref=wms_ohs_product_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seemed like a good book. Lot of information. Should be some good potty reading.

That's a legimiately good book. Greg Fielden really knows his stuff. Lots of great pictures in it, too.

If you can get your hands on it, I'd also recommend checking out his four-book series "Forty Years of Stock Car Racing", which has articles on every individual Cup race from 1949 through 1993. It's a little pricey and difficult to find, but if you can get a cheap copy of it, I'd recommend it.

EDIT: wording

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 19, 2014

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

This weekend's race is the Osram Sylvania 300.

The last commercial before qualifying was about a class action lawsuit against Osram Sylvania for false advertising of their hot daughter headlights. :lol:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Fauxhawk Express posted:

This was pretty much the highlight of the CoT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5MrquaBBXQ

I thought you were gonna post this. :colbert:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

shyduck posted:

I'm very skeptical about that "under the influence" of pot report.

Me too. It's also borderline irrelevant since many sober drivers have walked onto the track after an accident, too.

I'm also expecting the Ward family to file their civil claim against Stewart for wrongful death. The criminal action may be gone, but they're still entitled to money damages. If we don't hear anything on that soon, I'd suspect Smoke has settled that out-of-court.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Cygni posted:

Lawyers.

Like I said, they have their civil remedies.

Whether or not they get them is up to the court.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Cygni posted:

Mcreynolds owns, he actually talks about whats happening on the loving track / strategy instead of repeating lovely wivestales about ~dale~ and all the other stupid poo poo DW wants to talk about

HEY THAT 17 CAR

REMEMBER THAT 17 CAR

THAT USED TO BE MATT KENSETH'S CAR

NOW MATT'S TRYIN' TO GET BY IT ON THE HIGH SIDE IN TURN THREE

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah. But unlike Kyle, they packed the stands to boo the poo poo out of him.

I remember everyone at Sears Point booing Davey Allison during driver intros in 1992. Looking back on it, I'm not sure how much of that was because of his dominance at the time and how much was him getting handed the win by NASCAR the year before. Probably a bit of both.

It seems once fans have an idea whether they like you or not, things tend to stay that way. Fans don't so much stop booing a driver after a while, they just boo harder about a guy they hate even more (Darrell Waltrip -> Rusty Wallace -> Jeff Gordon -> Jimmie Johnson -> Darrell Waltrip in the booth). On the subject of Jeff Gordon, he had a winless season in 2008, but the very next year, fans still cheered when he wrecked in qualifying at Dover.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

VikingSkull posted:

KyBu win #139

FUN FACT: By the time Richard Petty won 139 races, he'd won two Cup titles. By the time Kyle did, he'd won one Nationwide championship.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

As a Buschwacker. :eng101:

. . .and has still managed to not finish any better than 3rd in the Cup standings - without The Chase.

The point is simply this.

In other news, our man Spence qualified 6th tonight in Las Vegas and was top-ten in both practice sessions. :getin:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

kidcoelacanth posted:

PODCAST!

(link)

Links to click as the podcast goes on (not before!):
Championship System Spreadsheet
Gunselman Proof

Download it. Enjoy it. Let us know how you liked it.

Trick question - there was no Watkins Glen race in 1974. :colbert:

Awesome podcast, guys. :)

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Cool shot - that makes Dover look kind of awesome.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

That needs to be in the OP. That's just too damned perfect.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

drat, I missed it too - congratulations, SRA! That was a long time coming - take it all in!

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

sportsgenius86 posted:

The maximum comedy scenario is Kyle Busch finally wins a title, but Danica Patrick wins the Homestead race so nobody gives a poo poo that Kyle Busch won a title and he acts like a petulant dickhead because of it.

It would suck to see either of those things happen, let alone both together, but I really think it would be the most loving hilarious thing ever.

Something tells me there's a good chance this could happen. Which would own.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Peanut President posted:

"drive the truckasaurus spence"

People love the truckasaurus.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Quantrill posted:

and beyond!

Xfinity: Because NASCAR and Cable Go Together So Well.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Here's Eddie Bierschwale's Oldsmobile rolling past what Michigan's victory lane looked like 25 years ago:

Somehow, that podium seems a little small.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Seriously, I don't understand Sam's career path. He was marginal-to-bad in Penske's #77 in Cup, built up a championship contender with Penske in Nationwide, and in 7 starts driving the 54 this year he's won once and finished 30th or worse 3 times. I don't seem him faring much better in a second-tier Cup ride.

I'd love to proven wrong on this one, but I just don't see it.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

The Croc posted:

Anyone still have that photo with all his retirement reasons in his first round as a cup driver?

You know, I have no idea what I did with that. I remember making it with a picture of his #77 wrecked at Sears Point, but it's not anywhere on my hard drive. Will keep looking.

EDIT: Here's the original picture I used - it's his wrecked car in 2009. Filled the left side of the pic with text:

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 9, 2014

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

"The 17 hit me" :lol:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

L_Harrison posted:

Look at this loving thing. I ... can't actually hate it that much.

After phoning-in their current Gen-6 model, this is definitely an improvement.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Milka Duno making her Truck Series debut at Talladega because why the hell not.

In other news, an ACTUAL entry list for the Cup race - 46 for 43 spots, so qualifying will actually bump out more than one car.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

yes yes YES YES!

For the new guys among us, Terry Labonte is running this paint job this weekend in what will be his 890th and, likely, final Cup start. The two halves of his car represent the two paint jobs he ran to championships in 1984 (blue) and 1996 (yellow and red), the longest gap between championships in NASCAR history.

The hood also has a red stripe like the 92 car he ran in his Cup debut at Darlington in 1978.

Terry owns at Darlington - he finished 4th in his debut there, won his first race there two years later in this wild finish, and won his 22nd and most recent race there in 2003. He also has two wins at Talladega in 1989 and 1997. Labonte originally stated his intention to retire in 2005, but he's been running the plate races for most of the time since. Last year, this 32 car carried veteran Ken Schrader to his final start at Homestead, but no tribute scheme there. Glad they did one for Terry.

EDIT: Terry has also done a decent job finishing well in the 32. He has only 12 last-place finishes in 889 starts, and none since Chicagoland in 2006 (the team parked in the Shootout this year because they didn't want to wreck their 500 car).

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 15, 2014

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Uncle Jam posted:

1972 formula (start of the modern era):
Tracks under 1 mile....................0.25 point per lap
1 mile tracks..............................0.50 " " "
1.3 mile track(Darlington)............0.70 " " "
1.5 mile tracks...........................0.75 " " "
2 mile tracks (Michigan)...............1.00 " " "
Tracks 2.5 miles and over............1.25 " " "

Wait, what? How much to win? Yeah that's right, there are no points based on finishing position. Just by how many laps each driver completed.

This sounds like a system I should've tried for LASTCAR. Tiebreaker goes to a guy who completed one lap at Martinsville vs. one at Talladega.

EDIT:

Thank you for this, by the way - been driving me nuts trying to find it.

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

If only the Cup guys were that determined to use the high lane. He just stuck with it and, man, it almost worked!

0.015 sec from 2nd place! :getin:

• Locked thread