Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
All the stories of the staff writers who haven't written much professionally before but then are working on POI make me feel a lot better about wanting to do what they do as well. I really need to listen to more NWP I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Holy gently caress they came out swinging!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't loving spoil or even talk about the Canadian airing. No "oh boy you guys this next scene is killer" because that's annoying as gently caress.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Humbug next time come to the irc channel and PM me if you wanna talk Canada spoilers.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Where can I buy a season pass for season 4? Amazon isn't selling them yet. Do I just have to wait until tomorrow or something?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Person of Interest is back!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd say that was a bit of excitement in their eyes. :allears:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Was that phone made of C4 or what?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

The "extra battery pack" was actually a small explosive.

And yes I know that what was depicted on screen was in no way a "small" explosion but it's TV.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

raditts posted:

Regy Rusty posted:

The "extra battery pack" was actually a small explosive.

And yes I know that what was depicted on screen was in no way a "small" explosion but it's TV.

Yes, it clearly was made of several gallons of gasoline.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Sweet, throwing guys out windows is still a thing.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Man Cara Buono is so fiiiiiiine. Don Draper is an idiot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ohhhh poo poo Samaritan is onto something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Carter's old desk :smith:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I thought the number of the week story was dull and kinda dumb (how did they NOT think of the kid immediately?), but the last 5-10 minutes was pretty sweet. I guess they're turning into the teenage mutant ninja turtles or something.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

New headquarters, new jobs, new secret cell network. Aww yeah I think we're back in business.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

raditts posted:

Carter's old desk :smith:
Yeah… :smith:

For a second, I thought the Whale was Shaw setting up her own communications system.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I loved that ending, and another great music choice for it. Finch uncovering the new Batcave was magical.

(Spoilering in case anyone stumbles in here early)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Regy Rusty posted:

New headquarters, new jobs, new secret cell network. Aww yeah I think we're back in business.

That's kinda a problem I had with the episode, actually. The big change is supposed to be "these characters now all have day jobs and have to fit in finding the numbers around their new identities,"

...But apparently Shaw can go blow off her retail job whenever, John is a detective and can go do whatever, Harold is a professor with 3 students in his class, and now a brand new secret base has been found. Those new jobs tying them down don't really seem to matter already.

They have to stay under the radar, but Detective John is using grenade launchers and breaking into drug labs and shooting people with AK-47's while Shaw is sniping guys in the leg (and presumably the caliber of that isn't going to match John's weapon). I guess all his loose procedure handling falls under the "He's a loose cannon, but he gets results" clause.

I dunno, it seemed a little too business-as-usual. I hope that they'll at least try to remember that it's not supposed to be.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Shaw knocked John out during the grenade launcher debacle exactly because he can't be puling that stuff anymore. Then they established that John would be relying on Elias for his more vigilante-esque acts.

Shaw was pretty well covered during her sniping and got the hell out as soon as there was potential for her to be seen.

The job stuff is kind of tangential outside of John now being partners with Fusco. We still don't know what Root does, though.

The general idea, which I do have to admit was somewhat poorly executed, is that the team is supposed to have been split up and with their jobs for at least a few months, if not more. And now stuff is happening that is allowing the Machine to start acting again in order to prepare them for war, in this instance the Brotherhood creating that cell phone network.

So they still have to watch and manage the way they operate, but now they can at least communicate freely. Considering how much of a full tilt back to the status quo most shows would pull off in this scenario, I'd say this isn't half bad.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
This show has perfect music.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's kinda a problem I had with the episode, actually. The big change is supposed to be "these characters now all have day jobs and have to fit in finding the numbers around their new identities,"

...But apparently Shaw can go blow off her retail job whenever, John is a detective and can go do whatever, Harold is a professor with 3 students in his class, and now a brand new secret base has been found. Those new jobs tying them down don't really seem to matter already.

They have to stay under the radar, but Detective John is using grenade launchers and breaking into drug labs and shooting people with AK-47's while Shaw is sniping guys in the leg (and presumably the caliber of that isn't going to match John's weapon). I guess all his loose procedure handling falls under the "He's a loose cannon, but he gets results" clause.

I dunno, it seemed a little too business-as-usual. I hope that they'll at least try to remember that it's not supposed to be.
I liked the episode, but I think this is on point. It would have been nice to have a season-opening arc where each lead gets an episode centering on their life under Samaritan. I think that would have especially helped build up Finch's disenchantment with listening to the Machine.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Except that was kind of a sticking point when they were in DC last season and they interpreted the Machine as telling it to kill Congressman Roger McCourt. Literally following that episode they hadn't received or helped numbers as they were doing; at that point he had already decided to clock out even if Reese and Shaw refused to.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sober posted:

Except that was kind of a sticking point when they were in DC last season and they interpreted the Machine as telling it to kill Congressman Roger McCourt. Literally following that episode they hadn't received or helped numbers as they were doing; at that point he had already decided to clock out even if Reese and Shaw refused to.
True, but the last few episodes of last season were enough of a whirlwind that that gets somewhat lost. One of the strengths of this show is its procedural/serial balance. The danger, especially with the death of Carter, seems to be that it's focusing more on the serial. A few episodes of Life Under Samaritan (in other words ignoring that there's an arc and throwing the Machine waaaayyy into the background) could have both restored and reinforced that balance.

But honestly, that's probably just nitpicking and like I said, it was a good episode.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I was surprised they are back to a number of the week so quick, but I love how it tied into a mesh wifi network invisible to Samaritan that they can do voip over.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did we see what Harold saw underground?

What was going on with Shaw getting into that van? Does Romeo just lead a handful of petty criminals?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Did we see what Harold saw underground?

What was going on with Shaw getting into that van? Does Romeo just lead a handful of petty criminals?

New hideout location.

New job to keep her busy/happy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Another Poster posted:

This show has perfect music.

On that point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFVlgClDsgw

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
It's sort of disappointing that they undermined the "they have to do the job while hiding in plain sight" thing so quickly, but Harold digging through his thesis for the clues he needed to find the Finchcave was a nice "aha!" moment. I'm excited for the rest of the season.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Thought it was great, though it would have been good to have at least a bit more of their new lives and contrast the mundane with the POI stuff. Cara Buono's character looks interesting, threat to Samaritan with 8/9 aliases.

No idea at all how they're going to spin out this season, though an army of everyone they've saved coming to help them take down Samaritan should definitely happen sometime (totally ignoring how much that would cost and the impossibility of scheduling all those actors).

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

PST posted:

Thought it was great, though it would have been good to have at least a bit more of their new lives and contrast the mundane with the POI stuff. Cara Buono's character looks interesting, threat to Samaritan with 8/9 aliases.
I made this mistake too (unless it was a typo) but she is not a threat to Samaritan, instead she's the one hunting down those threats for Samaritan. She's going to be the imminent threat for a while.

quote:

No idea at all how they're going to spin out this season, though an army of everyone they've saved coming to help them take down Samaritan should definitely happen sometime (totally ignoring how much that would cost and the impossibility of scheduling all those actors).
This might be a neat idea. If Harold's "What is the point of saving individuals in the face of an all seeing and unaccountable monster?" becomes a theme for the first half of the season, then there is a good chance that there will be people returning to help the Machine.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
This was pretty great, but one thing that bothered me was how the new villain lady arrived at the shootout scene, asked some random cop a trivial question and then went 'welp, my work here is done'. What was that supposed to be? Seemed like a completely pointless scene.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I got the impression that the team haven't figured out how complex but also how limited Samaritan is. From the feeds, we know that Samaritan has clearly identified where everyone is everytime they step out in public but it's been unable to act on that information because it's been overridden every time.

It doesn't matter that Reese and Shaw are using grenade launchers and sniper rifles against gangsters operating in suburbia as long as the team aren't responsible for mass person casualty events or planning to actively take out Samaritan.

I think Reese could conceivably shoot someone in the middle of Times Square and Samaritan wouldn't give a gently caress.

grate deceiver posted:

This was pretty great, but one thing that bothered me was how the new villain lady arrived at the shootout scene, asked some random cop a trivial question and then went 'welp, my work here is done'. What was that supposed to be? Seemed like a completely pointless scene.

Watkins/Carla Buono is basically Samaritan's 'Root'. Her job is to take down threats to Samaritan's survival so she presumably gets sent by Samaritan to the crime scene and confirms that Team Irrelevant are still active by figuring out that the shootout was more than just a simple case of gang warfare.

Like the others have said, she's going to hunt down the team while equipped with the resources of an all seeing AI but I think she's interesting as a character since she's fully aware of what's going on and what she's actually doing.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Kegslayer posted:

Watkins/Carla Buono is basically Samaritan's 'Root'. Her job is to take down threats to Samaritan's survival so she presumably gets sent by Samaritan to the crime scene and confirms that Team Irrelevant are still active by figuring out that the shootout was more than just a simple case of gang warfare.

Like the others have said, she's going to hunt down the team while equipped with the resources of an all seeing AI but I think she's interesting as a character since she's fully aware of what's going on and what she's actually doing.

I get that, but that scene was weird as hell. She steps out of the car, flashes a Homeland Security badge, asks one question and after one look at the truck immediately walks back, throwing the badge in the trashcan in plain view of the cop.

And somehow from looking at that truck, she deduced this wasn't a gang war, even though John literally hired another gang to attack the Brotherhood and wasn't directly involved that she would know of (which was the whole point).

I kinda see what they were going for, but the execution just seemed off, that's all.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was so glad to see Elias and Scarfaced henchman that I didn't care. Every time Elias says, "Hello John." so calmly, is loving terrifying.

Also the Carter desk scene killed me.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

grate deceiver posted:

And somehow from looking at that truck, she deduced this wasn't a gang war, even though John literally hired another gang to attack the Brotherhood and wasn't directly involved that she would know of (which was the whole point).

To be fair, all they'd need to see was the propensity of kneecap shots plus a t-boned car to make the conclusion that, yep, the gang is back. They don't exactly have the subtlest MO.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Elias having access to the new network means he will be much more prominent this time around. So stoke.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'm actually very curious about Samaritan's human agents and what that possibly means going forward. I think in the conversation at the start Senator Garrison was mentioning that Decima had effectively been dismantled as a corporation, so I wonder what exactly happened there, and exactly who Samaritan's agents report to - I can only assume they actually interface directly with Samaritan now. Especially given whatever time has passed it seems to have learned quite a lot and developed a different personality.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Another Poster posted:

Elias having access to the new network means he will be much more prominent this time around. So stoke.

Also no Flashpoint or other series to distract Enrico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Based solely on the press releases they have shown so far. Elias is definitely going to play a crucial role if not the whole season, then at least for the first half.

• Locked thread