Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Metropolis posted:

All kinds of reasons, sometimes seemingly justified, sometimes inscrutable. AN episode of a show costs a lot of money to make, they make money off viewers from the ads, so they want the maximum number of viewers per episode possible. If some other big TV event like the Super Bowl, the Olympics, The Oscars, or the State of the Union Address (yes, even that is apparently big enough to get new episodes delayed) is on, then a show won't get the maximum return on investment. Then there's also real life things that take people away from their TVs like holidays. Each network tries to find a balance between consistency (so viewers stay used to tuning in every week and keeping up with the show) and maximizing ratings by not 'wasting' a new episode in a time slot where it will not do well.

A big part is that advertising rates are set based largely on viewership numbers during certain weeks, called "sweeps". The dates don't line up exactly, but it's basically November, February, and May. A usual split of a TV season is 9 or 10 episodes between late Sept. and early Dec., and 12-14 episodes between mid-January and late May. This lets shows hit their stride in the early season for November sweeps, come back from winter break into February sweeps, and then close out the season in mid-May during sweeps. Unfortunately, there are 18-20 weeks between when shows come back from break and season finales, with only 12-14 new episodes to go between them.

xeria posted:

Part of is that they're still filming the season, so the weeks off spread out the episodes enough to give them time to finish (with allowances for freak weather, like all the snow the northeast gets in winter).

Also this.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

all either AI needs to do is take over the server farms of hedge-funds or other financial institution places with the need for massive scalable architecture.

I don't think this would work. Most places with massive scalable architecture have that mass and that scalability because they're extremely performance-sensitive. If a hedge-fund's serverfarm suddenly got 10% slower (or even slowed down 10% over a longer period of time), they'd notice in a hurry. Ditto if a performance upgrade inexplicably resulted in less improvement than expected.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Oh man is 04x03 going to be nothing but Fusco getting a makeover? :allears:

They also introduced the 'new' police chief but I don't remember ever seeing the old one. Hrmm.

Ahahaha 'Mister Egret' was awesome. :stonklol:

"That's becuase I have two modes, Jerry" :supaburn:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 9, 2015

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

WarLocke posted:

They also introduced the 'new' police chief but I don't remember ever seeing the old one. Hrmm.

Old ones, actually. Captain Womack went down with HR and was replaced by Captain Divecchio before Captain Moreno took over.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

Old ones, actually. Captain Womack went down with HR and was replaced by Captain Divecchio before Captain Moreno took over.

Ah, that's right, he was only shown a couple times IIRC.

Also, holy gently caress these 'Day 1' flashbacks in 04x05. :stonk:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

Harold Finch: Master of Computers.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Man it bothers me that I couldn't get the speed of the gif to display right for me. Might be some browser madness or something though.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Back again for another week! Gone again for another week :sigh:

:siren:TONIGHT'S EPISODE:siren:: Karma

Synopsis:Reese and Finch try to protect a psychologist whose unorthodox methods for helping his patients find closure could cost him dearly. Meanwhile, flashbacks reveal Finch's fragile state in the days following the bombing that killed his best friend, Nathan Ingram.

Preview

Feel free to come livewatch the show with us in the TVIV IRC Channel! It needs to be April already so we aren't dealing with this biweekly episode bullcrap.

If you live in Canada and get the show early please refrain from posting spoilers until the American airing at 10PM EST.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

WarLocke posted:

Also, holy gently caress these 'Day 1' flashbacks in 04x05. :stonk:

Sup? :)

I'm glad we're getting another new episode, although I have to say I just wasn't feeling the last one, at all, felt too unfocused to me (weed -> MMO gold? Okaaay...) and I thought some scenes were too awkwardly done (the scene where Reese picks up the bag and she hits him from behind was just... off).

Hopefully I'll like this one more!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Tecman posted:

Sup? :)

I'm glad we're getting another new episode, although I have to say I just wasn't feeling the last one, at all, felt too unfocused to me (weed -> MMO gold? Okaaay...) and I thought some scenes were too awkwardly done (the scene where Reese picks up the bag and she hits him from behind was just... off).

That's because Reese apparently had his brain switched with that of an idiot for that scene. He should have known better than to turn his back on an unknown quality who was within melee range.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
Io9 (via SpoilerTV) says that there is a rumour from someone who visited the set the the show has been renewed for a 5th season

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/03/person-of-interest-potentially-renewed.html

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Holy poo poo the name of the finale is YHWH

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zaggitz posted:

:stonk:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What the gently caress :stare:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zaggitz posted:

I love this show.

I hope we see The Machine and Samaritan duke it out themselves. Which I assume would be over a good game of minesweeper. Since I don't know how else two AIs would fight.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 10, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Zaggitz posted:

OK so I know what it means but I want to know what it means.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Digital Jedi posted:

I love this show.

I hope we see The Machine and Samaritan duke it out themselves. Which I assume would be over a good game of minesweeper. Since I don't know how else two AIs would fight.

dual games of tetris with each AI controlling the other's game and every pice is this one:

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

I love this show.

This series is full of metaphors for chess. For humans, chess is a 'virtual' alternative to war. Since AIs live in the virtual world, something like minesweeper would be too real for them. To them, the flesh and blood world is the virtual world they're not connected to. They're going to play a nice game of World War 3 to settle things fairly without anyone having to get hurt.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

I don't know...

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Was there some concern that it wouldn't be renewed?

Zaggitz posted:

Awesome.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

dual games of tetris with each AI controlling the other's game and every pice is this one:

YHWH/Tetragrammaton/Tetris

Yep, that checks out.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Slamhound posted:

Was there some concern that it wouldn't be renewed?
It's getting more cyberpunk for a show on CBS (people still complain it's not about them beating up corrupt 1%'ers every week and focusing on dueling AI gods), more serial (harder for casual viewers to pick up), less viewers every year (a mix of a general trend of people just not watching stuff live resulting in lower demo numbers, lack of accessibility of past seasons to catch people up, lovely scheduling messing people up) and all that. Sci-fi fans just love waiting for the shoe to drop because they've had a history of that happening to sci-fi shows (though frankly quite a few of them deserved it).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Save for a couple episodes here and there, it hasn't dropped off too terribly in the demo #s this year from the end of last, and it's still pretty soundly beating out anything else on CBS that isn't NCIS-related/Criminal Minds/Scorpion.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
POI goes up against Chicago Fire or something though, which does fairly well considering.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drat Harold

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Finch's real last name is Martin? Unless not even the machine knows it I guess...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Ohhhhhh poo poo I know what game this dude's playing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This guy's a diabolical mastermind.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

So who's gonna kill him/be killed by him? I mean that's why his number came up, not because he's warped-ethics Robin Hood.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My insane theory is that he killed his own wife and framed the delivery guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

That seems plausible.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Regy Rusty posted:

His wife was going to leave him for the delivery driver.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

muscles like this? posted:

That seems plausible.

Yeah this checks out

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Milovan Drecun posted:

His wife was going to leave him for the delivery driver.

If he killed his wife, though, that makes it very interesting that he went into vigilantism and victim advocacy. It doesn't psychologically wash, at least not yet.

OH poo poo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wheelchair Harold is pretty badass.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

If he killed his wife, though, that makes it very interesting that he went into vigilantism and victim advocacy. It doesn't psychologically wash, at least not yet.

OH poo poo.

Could be that he feels bad about it and is trying to atone.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Regy Rusty posted:

That's what I'm suspecting too, despite how Scooby-Doo obvious it seems.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Could be that he feels bad about it and is trying to atone.

It could even be that he loves the whole elaborate frame up. The victims are just a good excuse to help him pick deserving targets.

E: Yeah this guy is hosed up

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Regy Rusty posted:

E: Yeah this guy is hosed up

It's not that he killed his wife, just that his life after her death has been about achieving "justice" through underhanded means, inadvertently setting up an innocent man.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 11, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

It's not that he killed his wife, just that his life after her death has been about achieving "justice" through underhanded means.

I STILL DON'T TRUST HIM but yeah the conclusion they just reached does fit more with his actions than my idea.

Who really killed her is probably going to be a Thing this episode.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I dunno. I have a hard time reconciling the idea that he killed his wife and framed another guy... but he kept all his wife's stuff for eight years. Keeping your wife's stuff all that time doesn't seem like someone who hated his wife would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Is this a suicide?

• Locked thread