Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

DivisionPost posted:

Hey WarLocke, how's it feel to be on the other side of the looking glass?

Feels better than it did when I finished 04x17 and realized I was caught up. :gbsmith:

Invalid Validation posted:

Samaritan needs to do something truly evil soon cause it hasn't done anything remotely bad enough to incite all the panic it has for the last couple of seasons.

Quick someone post masterofcomputers.gif

Also let's not forget (spoilered for the new guy) Samaritan rigging elections all over the country/globe, that's not ominous AT ALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
And don't forget the mountain of corpses or brain-machine interfaces.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The machine can't travel back in time and turn those things on if they were off, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't constantly record all the information from all the phones and webcams in the world AND keep it (for what, the past 6 years?) "just in case".

Given that this entire series was inspired by that scene in The Dark Knight where Bruce Wayne accesses the audio and video from everyone's phones, I would say that the Machine using phones and webcams isn't unexpected. Also Harold explicitly placed his phone in a heavy and closed box when he proposed to Grace, I think it's reasonably canon that the Machine can do that, or does that.

The Iron Rose posted:

The "ridiculously evil CIA" is somewhat of a pet peeve of mine so I find all that a bit passe, but I can live with it.

They spend some time in the later seasons (tail end of 2, parts of 3 and 4) quasi-humanizing "Northern Lights"/Relevant Operations/ISA. You get a lot more of their perspective, and yeah they are still government assassins who do all sorts of illegal poo poo and are sometimes evil, but they end up less cartoonishly, ridiculously evil and more "credibly over-zealous".

The Iron Rose posted:

Root's crazy.

You ain't seen nuthin' yet.

The Iron Rose posted:

So I realize I'm coming into this show late, but I just finished season 1, totally loving it! Didn't think I would, I kinda just randomly saw the name and decided to follow it. It's surprisingly engaging!...Without spoiling overmuch, how are the later seasons? Currently planning on marathoning my way through, am I in for something fun or no?

Please post here every couple of days with your reactions, because WarLocke just finished doing that and it was really cool. Watching people watch this show is almost as much fun as watching this show.

The show gets more sci-fi and less stand-alone procedural as you go through. It's definitely still a procedural, but it introduces a lot more sci-fi topics and complex backstory and mythos. It's basically a modern X-Files in that way.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Iron Rose posted:

So I realize I'm coming into this show late, but I just finished season 1, totally loving it! Didn't think I would, I kinda just randomly saw the name and decided to follow it. It's surprisingly engaging! The "ridiculously evil CIA" is somewhat of a pet peeve of mine so I find all that a bit passe, but I can live with it. The Elias stuff was utterly boring to me too, but the HR plotline was fantastic, as is this Root stuff!

Still sad about what happened to Alicia Corwin though. I really liked her and was interested in her character. Root's crazy. Without spoiling overmuch, how are the later seasons? Currently planning on marathoning my way through, am I in for something fun or no?

Ah, the oh so naive perceptions and predictions of a newcomer who thinks this is just a run of the mill show. :allears:

I'd say season 1 is the worst offender in terms of painting the world in blacks and whites, morally. S2(late S2 especially)onward paints the world in much grayer shades.

For Leon, it's less that the show is saying "don't steal from Neo Nazis" as much as it's saying "don't get caught while stealing from Neo Nazis" This will probably become much more apparent as Leon rears his head over and over again.

The HR stuff has some of the best payoffs in the series so if you like that stuff you are in for several treats.

Elias is awesome though and I have no idea how anyone could find him boring. I will say his role shifts massively going forward if what you didn't like was the typical mafia revenge stuff.

Root is awesome, that will never stop.

Oh and don't look at my OP till you finish S3, there's hella spoilers in there.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 23, 2015

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah I don't know about the Elias stuff.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

For Leon, it's less that the show is saying "don't steal from Neo Nazis" as much as it's saying "don't get caught while stealing from Neo Nazis" This will probably become much more apparent as Leon rears his head over and over again.

Leon was criminally underused, he needed to come back way more often.

Like, Zoe-often. Who is also awesome. :swoon:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
You know what, gently caress it, I don't care enough to keep arguing.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 23, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Everyone seems to be missing the loving point. I don't think that ALL phones and webcams are secretly being listened to constantly AND those Gigapetabytes of 99.99999..% worthless data are being kept for 6+ years.

The Machine has taps dating back to the 70s. What do you think those huge rooms full of super mainframes are for? It's all data storage/filtering.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

WarLocke posted:

The Machine has taps dating back to the 70s. What do you think those huge rooms full of super mainframes are for? It's all data storage/filtering.

I think that most of that stuff is not "real" footage and is just a Television Show Framing Device. I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a webcam hidden inside Harold's barn when he was a teenager, nor an NSA satellite overhead monitoring Harold's barn with super microphones from space. In the places where there were such cameras, their tapes were almost certainly long since recorded over a bazillion times long before the machine was a twinkle in Harold's eye.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I think that most of that stuff is not "real" footage and is just a Television Show Framing Device. I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a webcam hidden inside Harold's barn when he was a teenager, nor an NSA satellite overhead monitoring Harold's barn with super microphones from space. In the places where there were such cameras, their tapes were almost certainly long since recorded over a bazillion times long before the machine was a twinkle in Harold's eye.

Well let's check on those feeds... /smash cut

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
You guys are forgetting that this is a machine that is designed to predict how events and actions will unfold to a ridiculous (and obviously unrealistic) degree of accuracy. It shouldn't have any problems turning this around and reconstructing what happened in the past.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Piriwi posted:

You guys are forgetting that this is a machine that is designed to predict how events and actions will unfold to a ridiculous (and obviously unrealistic) degree of accuracy. It shouldn't have any problems turning this around and reconstructing what happened in the past.

Obviously we are the simulation.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zaggitz posted:

The HR stuff has some of the best payoffs in the series so if you like that stuff you are in for several treats.

Dope, Leon is awesome.

Anyway, Stream of consciousness warning ahead. Assuming I don't need to use spoilers? Will do a few episodes at a time I guess so it's not too cluttered.

Season 2 Episode 2:

Still similar evil government stuff, love everything about the small town texas story of root/sam's backstory, shame she's completely crazy in the now. Finch's sass is amazing. Not entirely sure what Root wants from him though, beyond standard techy-libertarian ai worship stuff. I do like her moxie though.

The dog is gold.

Root's totally gonna become a regular isn't she. I feel like with that partner line it's heading in that direction? She's coloured red though?

Not sure how I feel about that. She'd make a good antagonist but idk if it's going in that direction? Either way glad to see more female characters besides Carter.

Episode 3:

Have to say I love it when John does random rear end roles. Armoured Car guide, Therapy patient, bodyguard, et cetera. I love the sense of flair he brings to everything, it brings some much needed levity to the show that's often all too serious.

Fusco definitely has more of a sense for survival than Carter does. Hope that doesn't end up biting her eventually. I like her and hope she sticks around.

No actor they've hired has any idea how to play someone who's intoxicated. The Person of Interest of the week, Finch in that laughable ecstasy incidence.

Speaking of Finch he and the dog are adorable.

Sensing some intra government drama which will be exciting if nothing else. Always impressed at how Michael Kelly portrays creepy government officials. Here, in House of Cards, et cetera et cetera. Surprised he's alive though. Doubt that's gonna be the case for long considering he he's wearing a freaking bomb vest.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Oh man keep doing these, I cannot wait to see how your current opinions will change. :allears:

Also Finch is badass as hell. I can't wait until you meet Mr. Egret. :getin:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

WarLocke posted:

Oh man keep doing these, I cannot wait to see how your current opinions will change. :allears:

It's so weird watching you react to newbies. Welcome to the caught-up club.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Once you finish Season 1 you're hooked.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jscolon2.0 posted:

It's so weird watching you react to newbies. Welcome to the caught-up club.

No more zealous a believer than a convert? :shrug:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

New episode, new break :(, two eps in a row next time though.

:siren:TONIGHT'S EPISODE:siren:: Skip

Synopsis:Reese must protect a bounty hunter who refuses to let the potential threat to her life deter her from the relentless pursuit of her target. Also, Finch tries to set the plan he began in Hong Kong in motion.

Preview

Feel free to come livewatch the show with us in the TVIV IRC Channel! I will not be there! I will be playing the gently caress out of Bloodborne!

If you live in Canada and get the show early please refrain from posting spoilers until the American airing at 10PM EST.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
That second part of the synopsis could be really interesting.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That second part of the synopsis could be really interesting.

It is very much going to be the catalyst for the finale arc. Set photos reveal Finch spends most of the episode doing sneaky stuff with Root

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Future episode Blacksite got changed to Asylum

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It actually airs at 10 in Canada this season, by the way.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Newfoundland doesn't care about your EST airdates, bro.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody lives in Newfoundland who can operate a computer.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Aphrodite posted:

I do my best. :smith:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is a simulation.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

WarLocke posted:

Well if you insist :v:

S2 Episode 4:

Kinda nice to go back to a by the numbers episode. Really reminds me that Reese is basically batman with guns.
Elias' contempt for TV gangbangers is appreciated. The game of chess was kinda sweet, I always like it when your antagonists are calm and measured rather than raging psychopaths.

Finch's bad code comment - very ominous. Rather refreshing that they failed to save their man this week, I think that's the first time? Reminds me of House a bit, where they occasionally fail to save the patient of the week. I think that something similar would do well for Person of Interest, until now there was little tension surrounding the plotlines of the week since I figure Mr. Tall Dark and Handsome would solve everything. Cavanaugh is so understated in his performance all the time. Would it kill him to show a little emotion?

By way of example, when there was that corrupt Marshall hunting down his poor battered wife in season 1, John and Carter had a nasty fight because she figured that John was gonna kill him. John ended up sending him to a Mexican prison, which is arguably worse, but during the fight with he never raised his voice once. He didn't yell or shout or get outwardly angry, or really show any emotion other than grim determination. It's clear that John the character keeps a very tight lid on his emotions, but it'd make him seem more... human if those emotions bubbled up to the surface sometimes more explicitly than they do now. John obviously has feelings and lots of angst, but it's really really subtle. I wish that sometimes, those emotions would show themselves in a less subtle way.

S2 Episode 5:

HR is crumbling! Feel like it's not the end of that plotline though since Simmons doesn't sound like he's going down soon. That FBI agent - Donnelly - he seems like good people. I don't want to see his face when he finds out Carter is working with John. It'd be like kicking a puppy. I simultaneously want it to happen and desperately don't want it to happen, I feel like it'd crush him :(.

Bear is still adorable. Reporter chick is your stereotypical... investigative reporter chick. Boring.

Also for the love of God I know the suit thing is cool and all but would it kill John to change? To like, blend in?

He still has great sass though.

Fusco lied about Simmons... Not good for his life expectancy. I really want both of John's pet cops to stick around, though I'd like more scenes with just the two of them. They play off one another well. Feel like they'd make for a good buddy cop one off episode.

:lol: at John and Reporter Chick on a date. Painfully awkward at first.

That being said they're pretty cute together and man John needs to get laid. Also fake head of HR is down! Guess that storyline is mostly over for a few episodes now. Nice to finally put a face to him though.
E: Okay finally edited.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 25, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
:allears:

Just you wait, Iron Rose, just you wait.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

That FBI agent - Donnelly - he seems like good people. I don't want to see his face when he finds out Carter is working with John. It'd be like kicking a puppy. I simultaneously want it to happen and desperately don't want it to happen, I feel like it'd crush him :(.

:allears: :stonklol: :negative: :fuckoff:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Dang Root

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yikes Root!

And the Machine even informed on her!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

No but some of us in Vancouver get their channels!!

(Fine, my channel is in Halifax, but close enough)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WHAT WHAT

WHAAT

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Regy Rusty posted:

WHAT WHAT

WHAAT

Arist