Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
Just got around to finallly watch the last episode. I was always a fan of their opening credits by how creative they can be with them. Even in the absence of them, as in the first episode of this season. Or when after Carter died. Or when Harold The Bird was held captive by Root.

"We are being watched."

This loving show :worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Sub Rosa posted:

Okay so here is the thing that I've been thinking of.

Claire wouldn't have succeeded without the team's help. Which she got because the machine sent the team her number. It's... almost like the machine wanted her to win. Why did the machine want her to win? Is the machine wanting to help Samaritan get "good" people? To influence Samaritan by influencing who becomes Samaratin's agents?

When Finch was asking Root, Root hinted it was because humans making choices still matters to the Machine.

On the path Claire was on before the team intervened, she was basically going to have no choice as she had no idea at all what she was getting into. Because Finch was able to talk to her and tell her a bit about what she was getting into, Claire was able to make a choice to join Samaritan rather than just Samaritan getting whatever it wanted.

But mainly I think it was just the premeditated murder of her by Silverpool that caused her number to come up. Also I don't think the Machine would mind Silverpool's machine not seeing the light of day, it's not a very likely ally.

I also love the idea of the Machine deliberately making under-qualified people agents of Samaritan. "Hahaha, pay no attention to Claire. We trained her wrong on purpose, as a joke."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Pilli posted:

"We are being watched."
Goddamn, I totally missed that!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sneak peek just went up!

Reese getting to show off for once :allears:

Also something very interesting to note is the start of that clip looked to be from the machine's perspective, with the square reticles instead of circles and upside down triangles.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
In a scifi show about two god-like AI's fighting it out for world domination, a New York cop making a clean shot without harming civilians kinda stretches the limits of credibility.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Jeeze that looked like a complicated film shoot in the middle of NY.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Zaggitz posted:

Sneak peek just went up!

Reese getting to show off for once :allears:

Also something very interesting to note is the start of that clip looked to be from the machine's perspective, with the square reticles instead of circles and upside down triangles.
Kinda hoping for fun they start trading off Machine and Samaritan POVs.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:siren:TONIGHT'S EPISODE:siren:: Wingman

Synopsis:Finch recruits Fusco to stick close to the latest POI, a professional “wingman,” but learning how to approach women soon becomes the least of his worries. Meanwhile, Reese must find a way to play by the rules at his new day job as the Machine sends Finch and Root on a mysterious errand.

Preview
Sneak Peek
Sneak Peek 2

Feel free to come livewatch the show with us in the TVIV IRC Channel! Flash starts tonight too, come livewatch the pilot!(it's super great)

If you live in Canada and get the show early please refrain from posting spoilers until the American airing at 10PM EST.

Interview with Kevin Chapman about tonight's episode and Fusco in general.

New York Comic Con is this weekend and there's supposed to be a PoI Panel on Sunday! Hopefully an archive of that goes up quickly.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 7, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tonight's episode is so much fun. :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I am quite pleased that Reese is getting reprimanded for shooting a guy in a crowd. :allears:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

4 kneecap shots in the last month :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"And I'm giving you a bad Yelp review. rear end!"

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sinister Finch. :allears: :allears: :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

He can be pretty good at that when he tries.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nope. Fusco is doing terrible.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

I don't remember him being that sinister on Lost.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Reese is just gonna solve all Fusco's cases while he's busy.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I love Amy Acker as The Machine's High Priestess.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Reese is just gonna solve all Fusco's cases while he's busy.

Yeah, so then he can't complain about his case load, that's brilliant.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

These 'Mr Egret' scenes are fantastic.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I hope the new captain sticks around.

Also, "it's hot as hell out here" is a perfectly valid reason for shooting someone in the knee.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Neat detail, since the episode or case at least didn't have anything to do with Samaritan we saw all the transitions from the Machine's perspective. I wonder if this will be a subtle way of indicating when an episode will be arc heavy.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Neat detail, since the episode or case at least didn't have anything to do with Samaritan we saw all the transitions from the Machine's perspective. I wonder if this will be a subtle way of indicating when an episode will be arc heavy.
A related detail; the Machine's view didn't give much in the way of information beyond the yellow/white boxes. Ordinarily, we get case/task/status information, but this was very much like the Machine was laying low.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Shaw and Reese are going to be like pigs in poo poo with the contents of that stash at the end :)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
If someone asks for PUA advice you might as well just have someone watch this episode because the dude's advice is infinitely better than any of that red pill/hotness levels junk

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Next week, on Person of Interest: Samaritan is hot on Reese's heels after the AI notices the sudden jump in knee injuries.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I will be so disappointed if that missile isn't a Chekhov's missile.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

I feel like you're underestimating this show.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Sober posted:

If someone asks for PUA advice you might as well just have someone watch this episode because the dude's advice is infinitely better than any of that red pill/hotness levels junk

Calling him a PUA was almost rude.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am always happy when we get a Fusco episode.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

GrandpaPants posted:

They'll think of something. ;)

I liked the small nod to Dominic in the episode, hopefully his debut will be as shocking as Elias!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can Of Worms posted:

I liked the small nod to Dominic in the episode, hopefully his debut will be as shocking as Elias!

I missed this, what was it?

I also hope they don't establish Dominic as some sort of badass bad guy who is not to be hosed with by killing Elias. That would be, well, frighteningly close to what comic books would do, which is not a writing paradigm you want to follow.

Also, what did people think of the captain? I couldn't quite shake that "hardass New York captain" stereotype feeling, but I have enough faith in the show that they'll do something interesting with her.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, what did people think of the captain? I couldn't quite shake that "hardass New York captain" stereotype feeling, but I have enough faith in the show that they'll do something interesting with her.

I think she got over way better than someone in her position -- disapproving authority figure complicating the protagonist's plans by being a disapproving authority figure -- should have. Even when she was chewing out Reese and Fusco in her first scene, I was thinking "Holy poo poo, she's kind of awesome." Hell of a trick she pulled off.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
Did anyone catch the smirk on Reese's face when the captain says 'I suppose you want points for marksmanship'?

Love this show so much.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
One of the best parts of the whole episode (which was really fun all around) was that smirk Reese gives when the captain suggests giving him points for shooting people.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

I think she got over way better than someone in her position -- disapproving authority figure complicating the protagonist's plans by being a disapproving authority figure -- should have. Even when she was chewing out Reese and Fusco in her first scene, I was thinking "Holy poo poo, she's kind of awesome." Hell of a trick she pulled off.
Better than the new captain in Sleepy Hollow, that's for sure.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

GrandpaPants posted:

I missed this, what was it?

I also hope they don't establish Dominic as some sort of badass bad guy who is not to be hosed with by killing Elias. That would be, well, frighteningly close to what comic books would do, which is not a writing paradigm you want to follow.
The POI tells Fusco that his friend (the guy who captured them) was paid by Dominic to make a shipment of guns "mysteriously disappear" from the records.

Elias has some respect for Dominic so I think he'll at least be competent. My guess is his group is going to be a rival for Elias (maybe by trying to take over whatever his group does?) to show how Elias handles a credible threat against his operations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I was expecting Leon to show up but Fusco was marvelous at it.

Badass Finch was awesome. I hope we see more of him and Root on side adventures.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Digital Jedi posted:

I was expecting Leon to show up but Fusco was marvelous at it.

Badass Finch was awesome. I hope we see more of him and Root on side adventures.

Agreed. I love the way Root treats Finch (arguably one of the most brilliant people in the world and the father of the Machine she worships) like he's slow child she has to tutor in the ways of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I think it's a little weird how Root was a totally unhinged psychopath before and now she's somehow compassionate about people? Like, is The Machine somehow really good at psychotherapy or something? I also miss totally unhinged psychopath Root, I hope that her inherent psychopathy eventually conflicts with the machine's agenda. Because it does.

• Locked thread