Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

xeria posted:

Root is the fourth best character to Shaw and Fusco and Bear. :colbert:

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So before anyone else notices them and says something, I can definitely, 100%, no-doubt-about-it confirm that the little hitches and differences in the gifs in the OP are something I did on purpose to simulate little glitches in the machine's code.

Yup. Definitely not completely inexplicable differences that shouldn't be there because I used the same template while making every gif. Totally in-character touches for added immersion.

*coughs nervously*

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Fusco and Bear round out my top four as well. They're all the best, really.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The sad thing is Reese kind of comes in last by default.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Smartest thing the show ever did is shift Reese from the main character to just one member of a big ensemble cast.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Smartest thing the show ever did is shift Reese from the main character to just one member of a big ensemble cast.
Reese is great, but I think they should have killed him instead of Carter in The Crossing. His emotional and narrative arc would have been nicely closed while hers would have been a great beginning. I'd like to have seen Carter's rampage in the opening of The Devil's Share.

Also, root has always been great.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Hersch is the best character, hth.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Hersch is the best character, hth.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Not even a double post could help you properly spell it. May our beloved Hersh rest in peace.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Clearly Siscgmund added the extra c because of veteran actor Judd Hirsc......

Oh.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Zaggitz posted:

Reese is still great but I feel like any backstory he has left is dry unlike everyone else - Finch has the Machine, Shaw is still unexplored, Root has huge gaps. I'd be surprised if we ever saw a Reese flashback again. But yeah, having a larger ensemble cast is great not only because of where the show wanted to go but it keeps the show from being too stale. Although I wouldn't be surprised in an alternate universe where POI is like 10 seasons long and never goes past numbers-of-the-week stuff and is still wildly successful.

But I think Reese is still the big face of the show opposite of Finch. Between just the two of them, they capture the essence of the show perfectly, when you strip away all the crazy AI plots and the insane amounts of crazy happening, at the end of the day, this is almost like Reese's entire purpose. And the impression I get when Caviezel talks about the show, I don't even know if he cares insanely much for that either, but the way the show works, it's about the people they save, and the importance of that thematically with Finch and Reese. They're practically the 'heart' of the show, no matter where it goes. And he cares about it too. Both of them taking the saving people part of the show very seriously. And that's probably why this is not only why POI is such strong television, it resonates so well with some many demographics that you wouldn't expect. It puts the people at the center of the insane goddamn crazy rather than the technobabble someone thought up.

Honestly, with what you can glean from the S4 trailers and how the season is gonna pick up, I wouldn't be surprised if Reese is the one that tries to get the band back together.

also, I watched the finale with Michael Emerson's commentary and it is AMAZING :allears: he even talks right up to the very end past the credits and the production company logos show up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

terrordactle posted:

Samaritan should speak in the trailer voice. You know, the voice that's only parodied nowadays because of how cheesy it is?

It's only parodied nowadays because Don LaFontaine is dead :smith:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

One week left! Here's a pretty amazing extended promo they just put up.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just coming in to post that. Good Lord.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sneek Peek of the premiere just got posted.

John's new identity: Narcotics detective John Crockett. :allears:

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 18, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I posted it up earlier but calling it now John has to be the one that gets the team back together.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Sneek Peek of the premiere just got posted.

John's new identity: Narcotics detective John Crockett. :allears:

Please have his partner's name be Tubbs...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Oh god Shaw at her new job :allears:

Also some S3 stuff.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Holy poo poo Shaw is the most disgruntled worker of all time. I love it. I also like that they let her keep the name Sameen, Root calling her Sam in the Comic Con trailer had me worried we would be going to the Samantha well.

Still no idea what Root's new job/identity is.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Being a MILF, obviously. Can't believe Amy Acker is like 37 or something.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Here's another clip for Harold's new job.

edit: hahahahahaha, that student.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

That was amazing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sober posted:

Being a MILF, obviously. Can't believe Amy Acker is like 37 or something.

:eyepop:

I can't believe Jim Caviezel was in Mel Gibson's The Passion

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Jose posted:

Not just in it, of course, he's Jesus

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Sub Rosa posted:

Not just in it, of course, he's Jesus

And not just that, but I think I recall reading that he believes God chose him to play Jesus...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jose posted:

A role that left him so battered and sick that he was effectively out of acting for a good while.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Jim also got fuckin struck by lightning during the filming of that movie. And another guy on set got struck twice and survived. That's a lot of attempted smiting.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

richardfun posted:

And not just that, but I think I recall reading that he believes God chose him to play Jesus...

Oh boy, I hope that's not true.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

At least he isn't a Scientologist.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Deakul posted:

Oh boy, I hope that's not true.

There are worse things to be in the world.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He's a practicing Catholic, and pretty religious. Closer to 'super religious' than 'just normal religious' at that. So, yeah, playing Jesus in one of the biggest and starkest depictions of arguably the most important moment in Catholic faith was a big deal for him.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

He seems to have mellowed out about it over time, and basically keeps to himself about it. Whatever he chooses to believe in is his own business, and has no reason to be discussed in this thread.

There was a PoI writer's panel with the Nerdist today in LA, it'll hopefully be up by the end of the week for the masses to listen to.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I mean if Caviezel was being a crazy fuckwit right-wing idiot like Adam Baldwin or something then I would give him poo poo. But he doesn't.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
He honestly seems like a really awkward guy - he always looks super nervous and fidgety in the con videos I've seen of him, as opposed to Michael Emerson who is Finch as all hell. But Caviezel's a talented and committed actor, and until he start trying to surreptitiously baptize his co-stars I'm not too worried.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I think Zaggitz pointed it out in the previous season thread but I wouldn't be surprised if he is a bit more introverted than expected of people who are usually actors. He was alright at certain points in the last Comic-con panels but obviously not very comfortable with crowds (he was pretty cool with that kid though that came up). I think there was an interview around the same time where it was just one dude interviewing him and Plageman, and he was really into talking about the show like you wouldn't expect. I totally understand that, so it's probably not too far off.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

http://io9.com/dystopia-usa-a-chilling-clip-from-person-of-interests-1637546444/all

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK tomorrow can't come soon enough

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

We're back!

:siren:TONIGHT'S EPISODE:siren:: Panopticon (Season Premiere)

Synopsis:Forced to take on new identities created by Root, the team tries to adapt to their new lives. However, some find it hard to ignore the Machine’s numbers, which puts them all at risk of being detected by Samaritan.

Preview

Feel free to come livewatch the show with us in the TVIV IRC Channel! We swear most of us aren't creepy.

Also I'm unaware if Canada is still getting episodes early this year, but if we are, I would ask that my fellow Canadian early watchers refrain from posting spoilers before the US airing, thanks in advance!

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 23, 2014

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Zaggitz posted:

Also I'm unaware if Canada is still getting episodes early this year, but if we are, I would ask that my fellow Canadian early watchers refrain from posting spoilers before the US airing, thanks in advance!

Apparently we are. 7 PM EST on CTV Halifax here. Atlantic Canada, you spoil me.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Very excited for this to come back. The setup for this season is a nice shake-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Here's the Nerdist Panel they did with Greg, Jonah and a handful of PoI writers to tide you all over until the premiere airs.

• Locked thread