Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Great OP.

I am very excited for this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Smartest thing the show ever did is shift Reese from the main character to just one member of a big ensemble cast.
Reese is great, but I think they should have killed him instead of Carter in The Crossing. His emotional and narrative arc would have been nicely closed while hers would have been a great beginning. I'd like to have seen Carter's rampage in the opening of The Devil's Share.

Also, root has always been great.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

raditts posted:

Carter's old desk :smith:
Yeah… :smith:

For a second, I thought the Whale was Shaw setting up her own communications system.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's kinda a problem I had with the episode, actually. The big change is supposed to be "these characters now all have day jobs and have to fit in finding the numbers around their new identities,"

...But apparently Shaw can go blow off her retail job whenever, John is a detective and can go do whatever, Harold is a professor with 3 students in his class, and now a brand new secret base has been found. Those new jobs tying them down don't really seem to matter already.

They have to stay under the radar, but Detective John is using grenade launchers and breaking into drug labs and shooting people with AK-47's while Shaw is sniping guys in the leg (and presumably the caliber of that isn't going to match John's weapon). I guess all his loose procedure handling falls under the "He's a loose cannon, but he gets results" clause.

I dunno, it seemed a little too business-as-usual. I hope that they'll at least try to remember that it's not supposed to be.
I liked the episode, but I think this is on point. It would have been nice to have a season-opening arc where each lead gets an episode centering on their life under Samaritan. I think that would have especially helped build up Finch's disenchantment with listening to the Machine.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sober posted:

Except that was kind of a sticking point when they were in DC last season and they interpreted the Machine as telling it to kill Congressman Roger McCourt. Literally following that episode they hadn't received or helped numbers as they were doing; at that point he had already decided to clock out even if Reese and Shaw refused to.
True, but the last few episodes of last season were enough of a whirlwind that that gets somewhat lost. One of the strengths of this show is its procedural/serial balance. The danger, especially with the death of Carter, seems to be that it's focusing more on the serial. A few episodes of Life Under Samaritan (in other words ignoring that there's an arc and throwing the Machine waaaayyy into the background) could have both restored and reinforced that balance.

But honestly, that's probably just nitpicking and like I said, it was a good episode.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DorianGravy posted:

Great episode. Great show.

But Harold's monologue at the end got me thinking: are Harold and Co. really in the right? If Samaritan is actually designed to be a fair ruler for the world, why exactly is that bad? Like Harold and John discussed, maybe they're just antiquated people not ready for a new world. Or is there something fundamentally lacking from Samaritan?
It's an inhuman system directing humans, and the humans it directs are all too happy to relinquish moral and intellectual responsibility of that direction. The purpose of the Machine is to guide, but always with the focus on human decisions, lives, and existence. Samaritan is the center of it's world whereas humanity is the center of the Machine's.

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, the problem with Samaritan is that it is being controlled by Decima and works to their agenda. It may help stop "relevant" events but it is also hunting down and killing anyone who could get in its way.
Greer pretty much said that Samaritan was in control, not that Decima was controlling it. He likened it to the pantheon of Greek gods who were to be worshipped.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 1, 2014

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The invitation to the game was an image posted on a message board that contained instructions to hack Silverpool's network. The question is either why wasn't Silverpool tracking the other players or how did the other players get as far as Claire if they were unable to hack it?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Pilli posted:

"We are being watched."
Goddamn, I totally missed that!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
In a scifi show about two god-like AI's fighting it out for world domination, a New York cop making a clean shot without harming civilians kinda stretches the limits of credibility.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I hope the new captain sticks around.

Also, "it's hot as hell out here" is a perfectly valid reason for shooting someone in the knee.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Neat detail, since the episode or case at least didn't have anything to do with Samaritan we saw all the transitions from the Machine's perspective. I wonder if this will be a subtle way of indicating when an episode will be arc heavy.
A related detail; the Machine's view didn't give much in the way of information beyond the yellow/white boxes. Ordinarily, we get case/task/status information, but this was very much like the Machine was laying low.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
For a while, I thought "Dominic" was going to turn out to be Elias' new alias and means of control.

This was an okay Number of the Week, but even better was that they're re-establishing the local power-structures that were destroyed in the previous seasons. Elias left a vacuum and now it's being filled. HR will probably follow.

DivisionPost posted:

What is this, the 4th time they ran a misdirect like this? And it STILL landed just as hard, probably because this time they hired an unknown and put him next to Marlo loving Stanfield, all the while running the double-cross with the DEA agent.
Exactly. I thought Marlo was getting ready to snuff him until the reveal. I really liked Tiny's low-key interaction with Shaw, so his turning out to be Dominic has me psyched for this plot line.

I also constantly forget that people like Fusco and Elias don't know about the Machine. It's incredible how much potential the show keeps in reserve.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
code:
Dec 31 

Day 1
That's one of the better smash-cuts. Nice switch from yellow box to red.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

Harold Finch: Master of Computers.
Hahaha. That's what I'm talking about.

monster on a stick posted:

I trust in the writers but I fear that they are setting up Samaritan to be such a strong opponent that they're going to be pulling deus ex machina's out of their rear end.
Given the show's scifi pedigree of things like Neuromancer and Colossus: The Forbin Project, it's more likely the two discrete systems will combine at some point. If there's a future episode titled "Handshake," you know poo poo will be on.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Arkeus posted:

No, it clearly left the choice to the one person the machine trusted to decide- and, furthermore, he also used it in a way to 'teach' Harold a lesson, the same way it teaches Root lessons.
I don't think the Machine was trying to teach Harold anything, she was trying to learn. McCourt was designated as a Directive Conflict; he was both Relevant and Irrelevant. His actions would result in mass casualties and were a threat to national security, but he was acting legally and with the intent of preventing threats to national security. It was the Machine asking Harold for help.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Daveh posted:

I think "How do you do that thing with your voice?" Is my favourite line of the episode.

"Put him on the line" was pretty great.

monster on a stick posted:

The Machine gives our heroes two kinds of numbers - the ones that are the instigators, and ones that are victims. There's certainly some evidence that the Machine provided victim numbers to Research - the scientists killed at the beginning of Relevance was set up, and his number was given because of that.
I always assumed the Machine didn't give the scientists' number, it was just a straight-up hit ordered to tie up loose ends on Northern Lights.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Not a bad episode, but I wasn't really feeling the tension. And there was too much exposition, even by this show's standards.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sober posted:

Then I guess you shouldn't watch this trailer for the next 3-part arc.
Hahahaha…is that Greer as a kid?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
They should have gotten one of the kids from Blackish.

Honestly, it was as much a fault of the direction and purplish dialogue. That's hard to sell even with adults, much less kids. I do appreciate what they were going for, though.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So you and bou believe that the kid is a cyborg with implants in his brain. Okayyyyy...
Root is, basically. The Machine upgraded her firmware when she got her ear fixed up.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

PREVIEW CHAT: Oh whew she'll be fine.
*whew*

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She could still totally be dead. That would be a double gutpunch if she was dead the whole time.

:twisted:

:frogout:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

updated OP with the ep names for all known upcoming episodes, and have links to when discussion for each individual episode starts. I'll also be adding an extra character to the OP given the news of said character returning. It's Zoe.
You should also ad Scarface to The Fallen. :rip:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Good episode, though fairly low-key to end an arc. The kid doesn't bother me too much.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm really curious where this show will go if they neutralize "hostile AI god" as their nemesis. What's left? Like even if they go back to that whole Elias vs. Dominic storyline, that just seems like such a step down in intensity/threat level.

That being said, I'd be surprised if this series didn't end with the "deaths" of both The Machine and Samaritan. Or I guess the human race at large. One or the other.

If they stick with the Neuromancer angle, it will be extra-terrestrial AI.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I want PoI to end like the Corbin Project
?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Katreus posted:

IMO, this coldness is one of the reasons that Root was originally drawn to Shaw. The idea that someone doesn't really seem to feel emotions or, at least, not enough for it to affect her calculus - well, that would make Shaw very logical, almost machine-like in a way in her efficiency. And as she got closer, she found that Shaw's got a pretty unbending moral core despite (because of?) that.
This is a fantastic take on the Root/Shaw dynamic.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
This thread is on fire.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sober posted:

And that's why the cold open of The Devil's Share is so loving pitch perfect.

The cold open could have been the entire episode and I would have been fine with it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, that was one hell of a run.

My favorite part was Carter getting the Machine to freak out and drop like 50 numbers over two days.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
poo poo, I totally forgot how they introduced Manheim's character!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

oohhboy posted:

The machine didn't tell them to do anything, it suggested a possible solution.
I don't think that's right, either.

The Machine registered the threat to McCourt as “ERROR: DIRECTIVE CONFLICT.” McCourt was innocent and in danger, but was also unknowingly creating a mass casualty event, as well as presenting a direct threat to the Machine. He qualified as both a relevant and irrelevant number. The Machine wasn't telling them to kill him, She was putting Harold, the Admin, in a position to make a decision. The Machine was asking for guidance.

I think Harold simultaneously misread the situation (thinking it was a hit) while also solving it (don't kill innocents) for the Machine.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Was there some concern that it wouldn't be renewed?

Zaggitz posted:

Holy poo poo the name of the finale is YHWH
Awesome.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

dual games of tetris with each AI controlling the other's game and every pice is this one:

YHWH/Tetragrammaton/Tetris

Yep, that checks out.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Reese was at about his usual level, but Fusco was spouting off Shaw rear end lines that made no sense for his character to be spouting.

I feel like this ep would have played way better if it had happened earlier after the mid season trilogy.
Did you not see The Devil's Share?

I thought this episode did a good job of playing on standard expectations without giving standard explanations. Yes, I realize that sounds goofy.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Yes I did see the episode that was all about how much Fusco changed from his days as a "cleaning up the streets" dirty cop. Have YOU seen Devil's Share?
Touché.

Shakugan posted:

Anyone else find the budding "relationship" between Reese and his therapist to be incredibly disturbing? That he's basically going to these sessions to creepily hit on her? He had a chance to just ask her out when their mandated therapy ended, which while still weird, is nowhere near as bad as continuing his sessions where he never says anything anyway. It's just all sorts of creepy and inappropriate.
It seems to go both ways making it doubly inappropriate. But honestly, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on her story. I'm assuming she's working for someone or has some sort of agenda beyond therapy.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Is it too early for me to just post :allears:?

Because I really want to do that now.
You are now truly one of us.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

I thought it was painful how much I was bored by the A plot while loving the B plot, but then the ending of the A plot sort of redeemed it, while maybe the opposite for the B plot.
That's almost exactly how I felt.

I don't really buy either Harper or the bounty hunter as badasses.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Goddamn, that felt like two episodes packed into one.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Death #13: Harold is run over by a man in an obnoxiously bright yellow Bugatti Veyron with the words "PUSSY WAGON" emblazoned on its rear bumper. As Root desperately tries to resuscitate him with CPR, the camera pulls back and we see the man driving the car is... Benjamin Linus :lost:
Read this in Finch's voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
If Bear dies, gently caress this show.

Alternatively, the Machine is located in Bear.

• Locked thread