Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln
Einhander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Is there any reason to play Planescape: Torment as anything but a huge wis/int wizard, and if not, how do you get any re-playability out of it?

I don't use guides. So every time I play it I find something cool/new.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Every now and then I'll reinstall Deus Ex and lose interest by castle clinton.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

Is there any reason to play Planescape: Torment as anything but a huge wis/int wizard, and if not, how do you get any re-playability out of it?

I played it as a STR/CON muscleman once, it was interesting to see the other ways to get things done, but only because I did WIS/INT first.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I play custom robo occasionally

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

3 or more times? What the christ.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

3 or more times? What the christ.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Action Tortoise posted:

Every now and then I'll reinstall Deus Ex and lose interest by castle clinton.

lol I do that too although the last three years I've been able to beat it fully.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I do play through Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario 64, Star Control 2, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Half-Life, and Fallout New Vegas at least once a year though.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I do play through Super Mario Bros. 3

keeps you honest because it makes you realize 'jumping' as a core mechanics goes further than even the most technically advanced games these days

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

LaTex Fetish posted:

keeps you honest because it makes you realize 'jumping' as a core mechanics goes further than even the most technically advanced games these days

It's also mankind's greatest achievement.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Everyone who quoted that "what the christ" quote is now in my fake loving gamer pool. Why on earth would a true hardcore master be surprised at the idea of beating a game 3 times a year? OP said WITHOUT fail, asses...

anyway, I cruise through SMB, SMW, SMW2YI, SMB3, SM64, kirby 64, both dooms on the reg. yume nikki too, it's my chilling out game.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Cobweb Heart posted:

Everyone who quoted that "what the christ" quote is now in my fake loving gamer pool. Why on earth would a true hardcore master be surprised at the idea of beating a game 3 times a year?

One game? Fine. Two or three? Also sure. Like five games, some of which clock at 50+ hours? gently caress that, I have too many new games to play and oldies to discover.

Also, I guess I've prob averaged twice-a-year on SMB3 because one year I beat it six or seven times and I usually give it a play or two every year. I'll admit if I'm busy I'll use a warp whistle or two now though.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

haha the same game 3+ times every year?

no i dont do that

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Strife

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Mach2 posted:

One game? Fine. Two or three? Also sure. Like five games, some of which clock at 50+ hours? gently caress that, I have too many new games to play and oldies to discover.

Also, I guess I've prob averaged twice-a-year on SMB3 because one year I beat it six or seven times and I usually give it a play or two every year. I'll admit if I'm busy I'll use a warp whistle or two now though.

Oh... I guess you're not a ~SPEEDRUNNER~... :smug:

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Cobweb Heart posted:

Oh... I guess you're not a ~SPEEDRUNNER~... :smug:

gently caress youre rite im a scrubb

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I get sad when a game I've enjoyed is about to end so I'll never get speed runners

it's the journey not the destination or some poo poo

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

i cant even think of any games that i play through once every 3 years

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

The Sharmat posted:

I get sad when a game I've enjoyed is about to end so I'll never get speed runners

it's the journey not the destination or some poo poo

You might be missing the point of why some of them(us) do it. For me it's about taking a game I love and can play forever and pushing myself to get as good at it as I can.

That said yeah there are tons of games I play at least 3 times a year. When I'm actually practicing something and not just casually dicking around I'll play some games 3 times a day.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
probably the original resident evil

maybe super metroid

almost certainly earthbound

jet set radio usually

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
oh, and max payne 3. i play through that a lot. awesome game

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

thps2

lol if u played an rpg the whole way even once

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Apparently in my wanting to talk about liking to play the same games a lot I accidentally stumbled onto a topic that imp zoners are passionately split on. Sorry guys :ohdear:

Soral
May 30, 2009

three times a year seems excessive, but there are a bunch of games that i frequently replay. such as metroid prime and super metroid.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

field balm posted:

thps2

lol if u played an rpg the whole way even once

lol if you play any video games even for a minute

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah who knew 3 was the number that would set people off?

I just like some specific stuff and there aren't a lot of games that are an open world Fallout or Mirror's Edge or an oldschool burnout game, or a bomb Hong Kong action flick. I didn't mean to make it all contentious. :(

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

apparently its weird to beat the same game a few times a year if you really like it

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I play with and beat my cock and balls a few times a day.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

zen death robot posted:

those are literally the only games that have come out in the past 12 months

:agreed:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
i have a handful of games that i tend to replay ever couple of years, but none that i beat multiple times a year im too casul for that

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
nothing but smash 64 every day from 4/26/1999 until 10/3/2014 when i switch to 3ds

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
There are some games you can beat in an hour or two this isn't that ridiculous.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Concordat posted:

There are some games you can beat in an hour or two this isn't that ridiculous.

Read the op, asshat. He has like Fallout 3 and other games that take weeks to beat.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

fuckin agreed

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

i played through wonderful 101 3+ times this year but i don't know if i'll make that an annual thing

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

zen death robot posted:

At least you didn't bust in insisting that everyone was wrong and that Bioshock: Infinite really is the Citizen Kane of gaming or anything totally insane like that.

bioshock infinite is the star citizen of gaming

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
The PUSSY game...

also God of War 2. Don't know why..

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Read the op, asshat. He has like Fallout 3 and other games that take weeks to beat.

Well yeah he's a fuckin weirdo, I just meant playing through Metal Slug occasionally could get you up to 3 or more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
wish OPs posts were without fail, of the epic variety

• Locked thread