Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Martman posted:

When they do all their super-fast training and stuff, the characters are still actually learning those skills, right? Like, Neo actually knows kung-fu, he doesn't just know the cheat codes that only work in the Matrix right? I think it would be cool if their actions in the real world ended up being something like a heist movie where they had to pull off some absolutely ridiculous bullshit by going to the limits of what humans could ever be capable of.

As far as I remember and care to think about the logistics of this, no. If that were the case Neo would have absolutely owned Bane-Smith or at least their confrontation would have looked wildly different, and just about anybody could be a pilot to the human ships because all it takes is five minutes of simulated training.

That opens the door for potential hilarity though, like when a guy who's a super-mechanic within the Matrix impotently fumbles with stuff in the real world while tearfully admitting that he never really knew anything. But sadly that kind of thing wasn't explored anywhere in the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

That opens the door for potential hilarity though, like when a guy who's a super-mechanic within the Matrix impotently fumbles with stuff in the real world while tearfully admitting that he never really knew anything. But sadly that kind of thing wasn't explored anywhere in the movies.

There the kid in the first film talked mad poo poo in the real world and loaded up with huge guns in the matrix and got owned off screen in like one second flat.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Grendels Dad posted:

As far as I remember and care to think about the logistics of this, no. If that were the case Neo would have absolutely owned Bane-Smith or at least their confrontation would have looked wildly different, and just about anybody could be a pilot to the human ships because all it takes is five minutes of simulated training.

Neo is quite skilled in hand to hand combat, ultimately defeating Bane despite the fact that was better armed and had a hostage. My guess would be the matrix's machine nature allows you to pull off the kata and their moves with incredible proficiency and accuracy, while the real world is a lot messier. I'm sure that being able to psychically increase the impact of individual blows to the point of absurdity would also be an advantage that was sorely missed as well.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
You know what was one thing that I don't remember them ever explaining? Why could the Oracle see into the future at all? The Matrix had a lot of spiritual and mystical elements, but most of them had at least some sort of sci-fi explanation (e.g. "Neo's power extends all the way to the Source," which I guess means he's connected to the machine mainframe by wifi or whatever). Even in the first movie, though, the Oracle's power goes unquestioned. It actually works surprisingly well, all things considered, since the audience essentially has to suspend their disbelief not only for "our world is a simulation created by machine overlords" but also "palm readers are real."

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I can think of two answers to that, which are possibly exclusive but equally valid.

One is that the neatly defined boundary being magic and science fiction doesn't actually exist. There's no difference between asking why the Oracle can see the future and why, for example, agents can take over human minds. (Which I don't think is ever explained either beyond "they can do that.")

The other is "what makes you think a program who helped design the Matrix doesn't understand its simulated physics well enough to predict it, and understand human psychology enough to push them in the direction she wants them to go, without ever even needing to see the future?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Because The Oracle isn't a rogue program at all; she designs and helps along the path of each One toward the metagame the machines are playing that accounts for rebellion. So she has knowledge of what the machines will do and will make happen, in both the Matrix and the real world, because she's in on the plan.

I dunno maybe there's something that totally contradicts that in the movies but I think that would pretty well explain her role in the movies.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I guess; the Oracle also makes predictions about the real world (e.g. Trinity will fall in love with the One) but she doesn't actually make a lot of these; still, Trinity seems pretty surprised when it seems like the Oracle's wrong, so if nothing else, the rebels seem fairly convinced that her powers extend to the real world. She's also not really presented as a Sherlock-style genius who's figuring out the future; even if that's what's happening behind the scenes, the movie presents her as an old fashioned fortune teller and never really deviates from that imagery, so again it's surprising that it feels so natural in what is otherwise a fairy sci-fi movie.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Aglet56 posted:

I guess; the Oracle also makes predictions about the real world (e.g. Trinity will fall in love with the One) but she doesn't actually make a lot of these; still, Trinity seems pretty surprised when it seems like the Oracle's wrong, so if nothing else, the rebels seem fairly convinced that her powers extend to the real world. She's also not really presented as a Sherlock-style genius who's figuring out the future; even if that's what's happening behind the scenes, the movie presents her as an old fashioned fortune teller and never really deviates from that imagery, so again it's surprising that it feels so natural in what is otherwise a fairy sci-fi movie.

It makes sense that they thought her powers extended into the real world. The first time any resistance member (apparently) guesses that she might not be human is in the second film. Beyond that, I guess that she's just a really fancy algorithm for prediction of events. It's established early on that the machines don't really understand human choice, at least not fully, hence why her predictions can only lead her to the next major 'decision point' for a human.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Aglet56 posted:

..the movie presents her as an old fashioned fortune teller and never really deviates from that imagery, so again it's surprising that it feels so natural in what is otherwise a fairy sci-fi movie.

That's a brilliant typo in context.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The only impression that the matrix has left on me 15 years down the line is the word juris-my-diction which is implanted in my brain for the rest of my life for some reason.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Blue Raider posted:

The only impression that the matrix has left on me 15 years down the line is the word juris-my-diction which is implanted in my brain for the rest of my life for some reason.

You can cram it up your rear end.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
On one level it's a shame the Matrix franchise died. I really wanted a Councilman Cornell West spinoff.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
I'm pretty sure that if Neo still "knows" martial arts in the real world, so would Bane-Smith. The whole virtual learning thing is pretty complicated when it comes to physical skills though, since your muscles also adapt and grow as part of those. So if he used the program to become a master cellist, his fingers might not be able to keep up with what his brain wants them to do in the real world. He might even hurt himself that way.

The Oracle is a more intuitive version of the Architect. They're supercomputer hard-AIs capable of designing entire worlds, including controlling the behavioural outcomes of their inhabitants to an almost perfect degree. The Oracle is better at it, of the two AI gods, because she can make intuitive leaps. If she couldn't predict the future to a high degree of accuracy, she wouldn't be able to do her job. So basically, she's capable of processing the state of present to the point where she understands every present cause and therefore its future effects. Probably moreso in the Matrix, where all the physical variables are being simulated by the same computer that she is running on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

So in other words she's a very advanced chess computer.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Kung Fu doesn't work in real life.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

sassassin posted:

Kung Fu doesn't work in real life.

Bruce Lee might want to have a word with you. Although watching him fight someone for real is vastly different than what you see in the movies. As a matter of fact, that's probably as apt an analogy as any.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Bruce Lee might want to have a word with you. Although watching him fight someone for real is vastly different than what you see in the movies. As a matter of fact, that's probably as apt an analogy as any.

Well even Bruce Lee had to kind of invent his own fighting style in order to actually kick people's rear end. Regular kung-fu wasn't fast or brutal enough.

Edit: Also, just because now I'm thinking of it, everyone should watch Ip Man if they haven't already.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 29, 2014

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Matrix was good because it was a solid sci-fi movie with competent acting and some seriously cool special effects. Reloaded and Revolutions sucked because by 2003 those CGI effects weren't that cool any more. Without the wow factor to hide the average acting, poor writing, and nonsensical plot the sequels are just a bunch of dumb talking between DBZ-esque fight scenes.

It feels like the sequels fell prey to the George Lucas Effect and there was nobody around to tell the Wachowskis when poo poo just didn't work.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Bruce Lee was a 130lb twink and I would have wrecked him irl.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

He wouldn't be able to deal with modern day mixed martial arts because of all the grappling, but as far as stand-up fighting goes I think he'd probably be world-class even today. He had the combination of speed and power that comes along only once or twice a generation.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

But could he beat Jet Li?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

He wouldn't be able to deal with modern day mixed martial arts because of all the grappling, but as far as stand-up fighting goes I think he'd probably be world-class even today. He had the combination of speed and power that comes along only once or twice a generation.

If he put on 50lbs that might mean something.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

If you think you can beat Bruce Lee, he has already won.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Lee has absolutely zero competition record. You are basing this off of choreographed fight scenes in films. I love Lee's films and he seemed like a cool dude, but the idea that he was this great fighter IRL is unproven at best.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sprecherscrow posted:

Lee has absolutely zero competition record. You are basing this off of choreographed fight scenes in films. I love Lee's films and he seemed like a cool dude, but the idea that he was this great fighter IRL is unproven at best.

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story was clearly based on Lee's life and had him beat up plenty of people, partly on the sets where he pretended to beat them up just moments before :v:

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story was clearly based on Lee's life and had him beat up plenty of people, partly on the sets where he pretended to beat them up just moments before :v:

That movie is complete horseshit pushed by his widow to preserve his myth. Joe Lewis provides pretty much the only honest assessment of Lee's fighting ability:

http://www.bruceleedivinewind.com/joelewis.html

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Dragon's a good movie for that Breakfast at Tiffany's scene alone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sprecherscrow posted:

You're right that I'm not basing it on established fact, Lee as you say doesn't have a competition record. I'm basing it on the many rumors and legends about the guy that say he could really fight and was extremely powerful for a guy his size. Some believe that stuff, some don't, I get that.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

What is this poo poo

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Ninjasaurus posted:

What is this poo poo

A joke on a comedy forum

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

henkman posted:

A joke on a comedy forum

GOOOOOOONS!!! :argh:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

But... but... he beat Chuck Norris!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Defending the honor of Bruce Lee is every man's God given responsibility.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It is my opinion that Neo would lose to SSJ Goku, but that Uber-Smith could defeat both a fully powered Vegeta and Freiza combined.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah but how do you get Goku, Vegeta, AND Frieza to jack into the Matrix? Are they aware of the lack of limitations?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Defending the honor of Bruce Lee is every man's God given responsibility.

If we use the "wrecked = hosed" definition of the word, then maybe calling him a twink in that sentence would have made more sense. :smug:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

exquisite tea posted:

It is my opinion that Neo would lose to SSJ Goku, but that Uber-Smith could defeat both a fully powered Vegeta and Freiza combined.

Vegeta and Frieza can't fuze.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hbomberguy posted:

Vegeta and Frieza can't fuze.

Not can't, won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah but how do you get Goku, Vegeta, AND Frieza to jack in the Matrix?

Easily. It's just another form of the Internet, after all.

• Locked thread