Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I was going to say she should train with Barnett or Saku. Still, I'm mostly serious about the technique and her style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Count Roland posted:

I was going to say she should train with Barnett or Saku. Still, I'm mostly serious about the technique and her style.

That's why I posted "lol" because you're hilariously wrong in nearly every respect.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yes. Rose should do everything she can to model her career on Shayna Bazler's.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
So the show was Aisling Daly's first time at 115 lbs, if I'm reading correctly?

Tough spot for her. Definitely too small for 135, appears to be killing herself to get to 115.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

fatherdog posted:

That's why I posted "lol" because you're hilariously wrong in nearly every respect.

Nah.

It is a hard move to get from that position, and does require some strength, especially of the opponent is grabbing a uniform. There are sequences from kimura grips like that, they're a nifty control and can be turned into position changes and armbars. It does suit her style, since she goes for flying submissions all the time. She is a bit too willing to go to her back; its worked fine so far but top control is too good in MMA. You can do this stuff though without ever hearing about catch wrestling, I was joking about that part.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Is the finale on fight pass in Canada?

There's no "buy now" button and there's this thing:

quote:

This event is currently blacked out in country code: AE, AU, BB, BD, BH, BR, BT, DJ, DK, DM, EG, FI, GB, HR, HT, IN, IQ, IT, JM, JO, KW, LK, MA, ME, MK, MR, MV, NO, NP, OM, PK, PS, QA, RS, SA, SE, SM, TS, TN, US, VA, XK and YE.

e: oh wait

quote:

Due to broadcast restrictions, this video is not available within a UFC FIGHT PASS subscription or as a pay-per-view in your region. Please check your local TV listings for viewing information.

nice

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mewse posted:

Is the finale on fight pass in Canada?

There's no "buy now" button and there's this thing:

e: oh wait

nice

:suicide:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Top control might be too good in MMA but not in W115

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Catch wrestling is never the answer to anything ever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They've outlawed speedos in UFC competition now, so yeah, catch wrestling is pretty much dead. An exceptional moustache would be necessary to carry it through to the top levels in modern MMA.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So the show was Aisling Daly's first time at 115 lbs, if I'm reading correctly?

Tough spot for her. Definitely too small for 135, appears to be killing herself to get to 115.

Yeah, I read that she passed out while trying to make weight for her fight with Magana, though I don't think they actually showed it in the episode.
Maybe she can go to Invicta 125 and get laid on by Barb Honchak for 5 rounds.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

colonel_korn posted:

Yeah, I read that she passed out while trying to make weight for her fight with Magana, though I don't think they actually showed it in the episode.
Maybe she can go to Invicta 125 and get laid on by Barb Honchak for 5 rounds.

She already did that for 3.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

attackmole posted:

Catch wrestling is never the answer to anything ever.

You need to watch Barnett's match against Dean Lister at Metamoris.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Dean Lister is a tiny man next to Barnett.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

1st AD posted:

Dean Lister is a tiny man next to Barnett.

Plus Barnett was allowed to wear the appropriate gear.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Fine, I'll break it down for you

Count Roland posted:

There's a whole sequence of moves from that kimura set-up.

There is, many of which she's already used in other matches, and they're completely irrelevant in this instance since she got the tap off the first one

quote:

Right now Rose looks too willing to go to her back and pull guard (understandable considering how good it is).

Rose doesn't have good takedown defense, and when gets taken down (which is often) she establishes the best bottom position she can (guard) and attacks aggressively from there. She isn't "too willing" to go to her back; she isn't good at defending takedowns, and she isn't "too willing" to pull guard, because when a takedown has progressed to the point that you're not going to be able to sprawl out of it, establishing guard as quickly as possible is the correct thing to do (because it's the best position for either attacking or getting back to your feet when you're on your back.)

quote:

But she should adopt the catch wrestling style

lol

quote:

which uses that grip all over the place

She already uses that grip all over the place

quote:

but is less willing to pull guard.

This would be very stupid, for reasons already discussed.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

colonel_korn posted:

You'd think maybe they cut it because they didn't want to show how dangerous weight cutting is or something but there was footage in the season trailer of some of the other girls finding Daly passed out in the bathroom. So they showed it there but not during the actual season.

Dr. Abysmal fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 12, 2014

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Carla's a horse-faced bitch and :qq:Rose:qq: had better win or it will suck. I still haven't forgiven Carla for being so mean to Randa Markos, arguably the coolest and most professional-acting person there. Carla is also an incredibly boring fighter and that last fight she had was probably the worst of the season.

I'll be glad to see Rose destroy her.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I heard Randa tossed that aura in the trash on some Talking Dead type follow up show, but I wasn't about to put myself through that.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I heard Randa tossed that aura in the trash on some Talking Dead type follow up show, but I wasn't about to put myself through that.

Really? Guess it was a front then, that blows.

Honestly even Rose's attitude bothers me a bit and I was betting on JoJo all season. Too bad she went out that way and now it's a Mean Girl competition :( I still think Rose is better, both from a technical standpoint and what we've seen of their personalities on the show.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm willing to write off everything that happened on that after-show as weight-cutting grouchies.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm so sad that Randa was born only a short distance west of being able to use "break her back, make her humble" as trash talk.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The Iron Shaykha is pretty catchy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Wrong thread

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 4, 2015

• Locked thread