Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

PaganGoatPants posted:

They kinda spoiled it with the Live commercial too.

Apparently they put up the recap way too early on the Fox Sports site, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Idk if any of you watch orange is the new black (you should) but markos reminds me of morello from that show

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I tuned in just in time for the first round and tuned out while Tecia was laying down whining. I'd say I'm doing this TUF thing right.

Also I guess since every season with males creates "THE NEXT ANDERSON SILVA!", it's only natural that female seasons will always bring about "THE NEXT RONDA ROUSEY1".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

El Roncho posted:

I tuned in just in time for the first round and tuned out while Tecia was laying down whining. I'd say I'm doing this TUF thing right.

Also I guess since every season with males creates "THE NEXT ANDERSON SILVA!", it's only natural that female seasons will always bring about "THE NEXT RONDA ROUSEY1".

It is a bit more plausible here since they're working from the top of the division rather than from the fringes of it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
TUF should have been a random or seeded tournament all along in my opinion. I'd rather see that than some trumped up reality TV bs every week about who is fighting who.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Agreed, it would also allow it to free up more time to get back to its 'smearing cum on grocery store sushi' roots.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Watching the media day video:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/9/11/6135001/the-ultimate-fighter-20-tuf-cast-discuss-experience-during-red

Some of them seem to be in fight shape now (Penne, Rose), others don't (Calderwood).

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

CommonShore posted:

Watching the media day video:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/9/11/6135001/the-ultimate-fighter-20-tuf-cast-discuss-experience-during-red

Some of them seem to be in fight shape now (Penne, Rose), others don't (Calderwood).

The finale isn't until December, so there is still plenty of time to get a camp in.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Just got caught up on the first ep, cool fights, cool fighters, should be a good season. I hope Joanne and Rose make it through their first matches because that is an awesome potential quarterfinal.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Carla Esparza & Tecia Torres are now going back and forth on social media regarding Esparza's insinuations that Torres lost because she wasn't roiding for the show.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Dead Snoopy posted:

Carla Esparza & Tecia Torres are now going back and forth on social media regarding Esparza's insinuations that Torres lost because she wasn't roiding for the show.

If Carla doesn't make the finals, that would be a hell of a fight to book.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I really like what I've seen so far of this season. Even the most dislikable of the contenstants this year, like Felice Herrig, seem like pretty decent human beings. They are just a bit annoying. And the fights will probably be pretty damned rad. Now that my favourite, Torres, is out I guess I'll root for Dr Kneevil.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DekeThornton posted:

I really like what I've seen so far of this season. Even the most dislikable of the contenstants this year, like Felice Herrig, seem like pretty decent human beings. They are just a bit annoying. And the fights will probably be pretty damned rad. Now that my favourite, Torres, is out I guess I'll root for Dr Kneevil.

Herrig isn't annoying. You just a passive-aggressive hater, that's all.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Herrig isn't annoying. You just a passive-aggressive hater, that's all.

She's pretty annoying.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Great episode. It kind of works out well for the UFC because you can give Tecia a win on the finale and make her the first title challenger.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't think Torres would get a title shot off one win, the next title challenger is probably someone who made it to the semis.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

1st AD posted:

I don't think Torres would get a title shot off one win, the next title challenger is probably someone who made it to the semis.

Or one of the strawweights not on the show

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

DekeThornton posted:

Herrig may not be everyone's favorite personality but she knows how to promote herself which is something a lot of the UFCs fighters can't seem to do. Unless she stinks up the cage that could keep her around a long time.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

Or one of the strawweights not on the show

Yeah Claudia Gadelha is probably a safe bet if she picks up another win, especially since she was already supposed to fight for the belt in Invicta before getting sick or whatever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tezcatlipoca posted:

She's pretty annoying.

:thejoke:

Did you watch the "red carpet" interviews? She basically dismissed any possibility that she could have ever offended anyone with any of her actions at any time whatsoever, and dismissed anyone who didn't like her as (paraphrase) "haters".

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I really like how they are giving extra long segments to each of these women as they get ready to fight. The UFC is going all out in making sure we know who these fighters are so that they can transition right into the UFC once the show is over.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I really like how they are giving extra long segments to each of these women as they get ready to fight. The UFC is going all out in making sure we know who these fighters are so that they can transition right into the UFC once the show is over.

They kinda are the division so why not?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, it's a bit of a unique situation for the show and UFC and they're handling it really well.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yeah, it's a bit of a unique situation for the show and UFC and they're handling it really well.

I really hope it'll pay dividends going forward. I've been looking forward to this season for an embarrassingly long time, especially given how bad TUF has been lately, but after the first episode, I feel like it's going to be pretty much what I hoped. The division has been good for a while, and this is a cool way to introduce it. Format is much improved, and that was a great upset to open the show. Tecia Torres is no Baszler, though, cause Tecia actually has a future in the UFC.

Also gotta say, one of my favorite fighters in the division, Mizuki Inoue, isn't on the show, presumably because she doesn't speak English, but hopefully she'll be in the UFC soon as well. She's already beaten Bec Hyatt and Alex Chambers, and is just 20 years old.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

double negative posted:

Also gotta say, one of my favorite fighters in the division, Mizuki Inoue, isn't on the show, presumably because she doesn't speak English, but hopefully she'll be in the UFC soon as well. She's already beaten Bec Hyatt and Alex Chambers, and is just 20 years old.

They legally aren't allowed to put people below 21 in the house because of the liquor situation; it's why Lauzon's younger brother went directly into the UFC.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

fatherdog posted:

They legally aren't allowed to put people below 21 in the house because of the liquor situation; it's why Lauzon's younger brother went directly into the UFC.

I was trying to see if the UFC had been talking to her, and I actually found this, from here:

quote:

According to her manager Shu Hirata, the UFC has expressed strong interest in signing the 19-year-old Japanese fighter and having her debut in Asia. Hirata said Inoue wasn't a candidate to be on TUF because she doesn't speak English and her parents wouldn't let her be away from home for several weeks. She has one more fight left on her DEEP Jewels contract and would also like to compete one more time for Invicta FC. However, Hirata, Inoue and her Master Chairman Yamaguchi of Hakushinkai Karate would like her to fight in the UFC by at least the end of the year.

Division's gonna be dope.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I wonder if we'll see Michelle Waterson bulk up a bit and make a run for the UFC as well. She has beaten Penne, who is in the house already, and looked pretty good murdering that poor stone headed Japanese senior Citizen last week.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

DekeThornton posted:

I wonder if we'll see Michelle Waterson bulk up a bit and make a run for the UFC as well. She has beaten Penne, who is in the house already, and looked pretty good murdering that poor stone headed Japanese senior Citizen last week.

She was noticeably bigger in her fight the other week, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was already planning on this.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm not sure if this is just in my area, but today after the NFL pre-game and before the SeaHawks game, FOX is showing the first episode of this season of TUF. Pretty cool for exposure.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
They don't put non-English speakers on the show for obvious reasons. I think there were a short list of 3-4 girls that will be coming into the UFC one the division starts but didn't get on the show due to this.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
What is it that Calderwood said in the promo during the Silva-Arlovski fight night that she'd make for her opponent after the fight?

Carrot cake?

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Yeah Waterson is most likely heading to the UFC for 115lb fun. She had clearly put on size. She's probably an immediate title contender too.

Then there's Kankaanpaa and Eggink who put on a classic at Invicta. Of course Inoue. And Jessica Aguilar who is in WSOF which is supposed to be a feeder league to the UFC anyway and is actually the number 1 115lb chick in the world.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What is it that Calderwood said in the promo during the Silva-Arlovski fight night that she'd make for her opponent after the fight?

Carrot cake?

That's it, it was referencing a comment she made when her fight was announced on the show. She said it was too bad they had to fight because Emily Kagan was nice to her and gave her some carrots when she complained about being hungry, but now "I guess she'll be wantin' her carrots back."

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

MacDougall posted:

Yeah Waterson is most likely heading to the UFC for 115lb fun. She had clearly put on size. She's probably an immediate title contender too.

Then there's Kankaanpaa and Eggink who put on a classic at Invicta. Of course Inoue. And Jessica Aguilar who is in WSOF which is supposed to be a feeder league to the UFC anyway and is actually the number 1 115lb chick in the world.

That Invicta title fight was awful.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Here's the promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So5u0sNvpHw

Joanne :3:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jojo :3: indeed. I'm trying to imagine the kinds of sweet, sincere apologies she'd offer to challengers for the stitches she's going to be sending them to get, as a champ in contrast to Rousey's schtick.

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

http://mmapayout.com/2014/09/the-ultimate-fighter-20-ep-1-536000-viewers/

man, after all that hype.

this is reassuring tho:

quote:

Fox execs are viewing TUF differently with respect to its live viewership versus how it does overall on the network (i.e., reruns, DVR numbers)

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Worth noting as well that the TUF 19 premiere was preceded by a full fight night card, albeit not a terribly interesting one (TUF Canada/Australia finals with Bisping/Kennedy headlining). That probably boosted its ratings a bit.

Nonetheless I wonder if this season ends up being TUF's swan song, at least the North American one. Ratings aren't great, they haven't announced another season yet, and I wonder if the concept of the show is a bit past its prime now that they're bringing in so many new fighters anyways these days with all the shows they're running. Also 20 is a nice number to end on :D

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Getting TUF off FS1 would probably help a lot b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

1st AD posted:

Getting TUF off FS1 would probably help a lot b

The difficult part is that it would do much better numbers on another channel, but even at its low rating now, it's BY FAR the most watched thing on FS1 that's not live sports, so they probably have no desire to move it.

• Locked thread