Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

True for the hyena, any other examples though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I did know that he was the rat and when you ate him I knew you were not prey and not the snake. What was I supposed to do? Let you live and eat any other prey that might have accidentally made their way to where I was?

I can't see how any alternative would have been better than what I did. I'm trying to understand your point of view.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fast Luck posted:

True for the hyena, any other examples though?

That works for other predators too, since most of them don't need as much prey as the Lion, its the lion that really screws the other predators over.

The predators want to work together so they can break up at least some of the prey.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Superrodan posted:

I did know that he was the rat and when you ate him I knew you were not prey and not the snake. What was I supposed to do? Let you live and eat any other prey that might have accidentally made their way to where I was?

I can't see how any alternative would have been better than what I did. I'm trying to understand your point of view.

I guess I would have just waited another turn when you knew we would both be in the field guaranteeing you a meal for the next day and instead have just eaten someone else in the forest and hope they weren't a snake.

I get worrying that I was just going to try and eat everything in the room though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mr.capps posted:

That works for other predators too, since most of them don't need as much prey as the Lion, its the lion that really screws the other predators over.

The predators want to work together so they can break up at least some of the prey.
It works for the hyena because his win condition is that the lion dies. I'm not sure how it works for any other predators who have the win condition of surviving. The more prey die, the lower their chance of survival. Personally I knew you were the eagle and was telling people to kill you because I thought that would help the croc. What do you mean by "breaking up the prey"?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I thought the Eagle would just assume the Mallard would pick the sky thinking it was the safest place on a pure numbers basis, start there and eat him. That seemed like the most likely thought process for a Mallard (and turned out to be the actual thought process).

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

mr.capps posted:

Unless I am doing the math incorrectly, even if the top three predators found eachother and could work together there is no way they could all win. The snake and one of the creatures with the invulnerability power would survive and that would leave 7 prey total (including the hyena). In order for the lion, croc and eagle to survive they need to collectively eat 8 things.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fast Luck posted:

It works for the hyena because his win condition is that the lion dies. I'm not sure how it works for any other predators who have the win condition of surviving. The more prey die, the lower their chance of survival. Personally I knew you were the eagle and was telling people to kill you because I thought that would help the croc. What do you mean by "breaking up the prey"?

The lion needs to eat a total of 4 to win the game.
The croc and eagle only need to eat 2 if they plan correctly.
The hynea only needs to eat once, and doesn't even need to survive to win the game.
So that is only 4 or 5 times the croc, eagle, and hynea needs to eat. Its the lion who throws thing off by needing to eat himself 4 times. Breaking up the prey comes into play with the group that can stick together to survive together.

Superrodan posted:

Unless I am doing the math incorrectly, even if the top three predators found eachother and could work together there is no way they could all win. The snake and one of the creatures with the invulnerability power would survive and that would leave 7 prey total (including the hyena). In order for the lion, croc and eagle to survive they need to collectively eat 8 things.

Again, the lion is the exception, he is the one that screws everything up for the other predators because of how much it needs to eat. The proper play for the lion is to try to infiltrate a predator alliance, but never say he himself is a lion and then striking when the time is right.

Mills posted:

I thought the Eagle would just assume the Mallard would pick the sky thinking it was the safest place on a pure numbers basis, start there and eat him. That seemed like the most likely thought process for a Mallard (and turned out to be the actual thought process).

Yeah, I thought the Mallard was going to do this so I was saving him for later.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
As I said, predators eating other predators wasn't a mistake, on the part of the Lion and Crocodile. The Lion eats whoever's safe, and the croc does the same; even if the person the croc tried to eat turned out to be the lion, that just means that he needs to do his best to avoid him since he won't die for that and the lion doesn't have much reason to eat two people in a round. Even though it shows the lion he's safe to eat, he can probably dodge the lion for the rest of the game, depending on where the two of them are (the river in this case, which was in fact perfect for the croc; the lion would have had to leave next round, so he could have camped there since he knows it's safe, then go from there). The Lion in particular needed to attack a person every round, even if it wasn't perfectly safe; while there was a chance of attacking the Snake and dying, not attacking someone is guaranteed death. The croc could have afforded to be a bit more picky, but passing up free meals still isn't advisable.

The eagle and the hyena were in more risky positions, because of, well, exactly what happened. It was kind of bad luck for the Eagle, since only two people were a threat to him after he survived eating, but feeding for the hyena was inherently risky (especially since, as stated, the Lion wanted him dead anyway; he really lucked out that he got the Rat with his kill).

Tangent, the birds. The Eagle was basically a less-powerful crocodile otherwise, except for his ability to enter the Sky. Anyone he encounters there, he knows is safe, since neither the Snake nor the higher predators can enter. Meanwhile, the other birds have a dilemma; on the one hand, the Sky removes three of the four threats from the picture. On the other hand, if the Eagle is in the Sky when they enter it, the only way they aren't dying is if there are others there that round, or for some reason the Eagle spares them (possibly figuring he doesn't have to eat until the next round and now knows a perfectly safe target, though that's a risk for him, and one I personally wouldn't take since eating now would prevent him from having to eat later.)

Basically, the predator ethos was to eat anything they knew was safe. The Lion because he needs to eat every round, the Eagle and Crocodile because there might not be a meal the next round, and the Hyena because doing so fucks over the Lion. The Hyena even has the special quality of wanting to eat more than one person a round if possible; killing more means less for the Lion to eat, increasing the likelihood of the Lion eventually starving. It doesn't even matter if it results in the Hyena himself starving.

The Rat and Plover, they obviously wanted to find and latch onto their respective predators. Attack everything they can to confirm if it's a Snake, showing that everything else is safe for them to eat (besides, again, the croc happening to try to eat the lion), and if necessary feed themselves to their pred to avoid the latter starving. The Rat actually almost did this, but the Hyena ate him first. Whoops. I don't think the Plover ever even met the Croc, which was bad luck for them both.

The Snake, this one's interesting because her ability was somewhat counter-intuitive. Getting all four preds to attack her would have only been four deaths; she needed to either try to avoid getting herself attacked until late in the game or, as she did, she needed to work with at least one predator and have them help her cause a bloodbath. In fact, being perfectly honest about being the Snake would have almost been a perfect strategy since it'd let the predators know who to kill, except as we saw the other prey went and claimed to be/implied that they were the Snake too.

The "shitanimals", as Mac called them, were also counter-intuitive. Their ability suggests a desire to stick together. However, there's too many of them for that, from every biome at that. It'd be impossible for all five to stay together from the start, even if they knew who was who from the start and had perfect communication. However, their ability becomes easier to activate the fewer of them there are, down to it being always active when there's only one left. Hence my working with Kit and Nexal; they wanted to kill the others, I wanted everyone else with my ability dead in case I ran into the other predators, since being the last one standing would have been a guaranteed win for me. It would have been especially hilarious if it worked, and then the Lion found and tried to kill me, since it'd fail, something that shouldn't happen (outside of the Snake being attacked, which would have left the Lion with bigger problems).

The Crow was just a game of odds, since as far as I know his bet came before he had time to figure out who was who. The Hyena was probably one of the best bets here, really, though, given the bird advantage above, picking the Eagle and the being his Rat/Plover equivalent would have been an even stronger move. Just stay in the Sky the whole game, and if/when the Eagle needs a meal and no others are around, bam. Be there first round, tell people honestly who you are and what you're planning. If the Eagle's there first round, then he won't eat you; even if you're the only one there, at least two other birds will be coming there next round unless they get eaten this round. If he's not, then he'll show up the second round, at which point you tell him your plan then; if other birds are around, he eats one of them, then in the fourth round if no other birds are there he eats you and wins. If none are there, he eats you, then wins; he just hangs out in the Sky the rest of the game, since again, unless the other birds all died, they have to return there next round, meaning he won't have to eat in the fourth. Barring a bloodbath, likely induced by either the Snake or directly caused by the Hyena, he's probably 100% made.

Most of this was realized in hindsight, mind; while I knew that I wanted my fellow weak animals dead from the start and a couple other ones, I had, for example, thought that the Hyena probably wanted to be picky rather since he has a long starvation period, though that one was partially because I misread the rules and thought he was a predatory version of the Rat until the second or third round. I didn't even realize that Crow strategy until I was writing this post.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Screwing up the lion is fairly easy too, eating it's mouse can really gently caress up its game.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's easier for the shitanimals to stick together the fewer of them there are. When it gets down to two, if they link up they can never be killed. If it gets down to one, he's safe automatically.

The other stuff about required prey for croc/eagle is true but it relies on starving/snaking the lion. He'll almost definitely kill a few before that happens, and since he can eat the other predators, too, he might not die when you want him to.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
stop calling them shitanimals :(

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They can't really be "shitanimals" if they honestly hold all the power in the game.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

My strategy was "boy howdy sure hope jeremy doesn't gently caress it up"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Asiina posted:

stop calling them shitanimals :(

I liked being an otter, really. I got to be an rear end in a top hat and try to plot the deaths of my fellow bottom-tier animals. It was not a powerful position, and I kind of got lucky ending up with two animals who were also out for blood, but it was definitely fun.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Good luck Nexal.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Welcome to the first Death Match.

Nexal. Superrodan.

Time to gather in the hall.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Oh how inviting. Let's rock and roll.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I'm posting again just in case you missed my post above yours, Bandage Man.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Non-participating players may observe and chat in the Library, but not assist in any way in the thread.

Viewers may also observe the library, but as per usual not be able to speak.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Superrodan posted:

I'm posting again just in case you missed my post above yours, Bandage Man.

Good luck.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
So Superrodan how's the day faring? Had a good day?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
It's been typical with one exception. Trying to get work done on Spelltorn and working with my programmer friends. The exception is being nervous about this matchup the entire time.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
How about yours?

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Superrodan posted:

It's been typical with one exception. Trying to get work done on Spelltorn and working with my programmer friends. The exception is being nervous about this matchup the entire time.

I'm excited about what game we get to play. Good to hear about Spelltorn.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The Round 1 Death Match will be: Mancala

The object of this game is to collect as many gems in your mancala (the right cup for the bottom player, the left cup for the top player) as possible. Each person will take turns to move the gems according to the followings rules:

1) You can only move the gems on your side.

2) Each time you move you pick up all the gems in a cup and distribute them one at a time in a counterclockwise direction to the next cup.

3) If the last gem of a move landed on your mancala then you can move again.

4) If the last gem of a move landed on an empty cup on your side and there are gems in the opposite cup then the gems in both cups wil be captured in your mancala.

For expendiency I'll be updating the board with a code tag. Please indicate which cup you want to move on your turn (A-F) and I will update the board before the next person's turn.

There will be a time limit of 5 minutes per move, so feel free to take your time to think. The winner will be decided in a best of 3.

Before we start, are either of you familiar with this game? Would you like 5 minutes to familiarize yourself with it using a flash version?

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Superrodan posted:

How about yours?

I worked and got home just about an hour ago. Rough day however at work I was speculating what type of game we will play but then in the end that probably doesn't matter.
Other than that it's been pretty good day.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I played this a few times when it first gained popularity so I know the general drift.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I'm not familiar with this game.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Yeah I would like to try this in flash version to get a grasp of it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Alright, here is a link to a flash version. I will give you until 7:25 to return here and we will start.

When we play who goes first in the first game will be randomized, then it will alternate.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Alright im here

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Superrodan, are you here?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
yes

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Alright, both of you pick a number between 1 and 100, closest to my number goes first.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My number was 52, Nexal goes first.

Round 1:

Here is your board