Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Fast Luck posted:

Everyone else's answer (a lady brought an apple) worked just as well. :colbert:

No, I'd call that an ugly victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
another reason to look forward to season 2: i am designing some games for it.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Also Win, I am sorry we never did the one on one interview with you. That sort of sprung up organically and I lost steam at the end. I feel like they evolved for folks that people wanted to know more about, and since you were sort of the known schemer you got overlooked. I should have been more on the ball with those.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Do one now! :buddy:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bit late here, since it was my grandfather's birthday today and I went to the dinner out of town for that with my family, but thanks for all the kind words. After getting some sleep I felt a lot better.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Also Win, I am sorry we never did the one on one interview with you. That sort of sprung up organically and I lost steam at the end. I feel like they evolved for folks that people wanted to know more about, and since you were sort of the known schemer you got overlooked. I should have been more on the ball with those.

Looking at the document and the interviews' positions relative to the matches (though I didn't read them yet), I thought that those were post-elimination interviews or something, and that subsequently was why I never got one (I didn't even know they were a thing until I checked the vista, of course). I guess they weren't? I mean, considering the confessionals I sent in I probably don't really need one anyway, but I'd be up for answering mod and/or viewer questions, and I'd try to be brief about it.

Edit: Looking at it again, yeah, I just happened to click or see ones that were positioned after the match that person was eliminated and missed the others (like F.L.'s apparently being pretty early on).

Also, wow, both the mods and myself in my confessionals referred to winvirus as never losing; we all forgot that technically a full half the cast lost the first match, including win. I guess him not being the one who went to the death match, and that match being odd because of the numbers on both sides (and it being the one main match, besides Perfect 10 technically, where either you won or you lost). Not to disparage him, since he did great still; I just noticed it while looking at the document and seeing the first column in the game results page. (Which, tangentially, only lists people as a loser if they lost but didn't go to the death match; people who did lose are under the lost/won deathmatch, which while convenient for sorting means you have to look elsewhere to know who actually lost and who was challenged for most games.)

Man, that game was a mess; the helper animals were immediately eaten, all the predators got themselves killed, and the animals who are supposed to be useless unless they're all together or the others all die survived despite there never being more than two of them together at a time. There are many ways that game could go, but I don't think I would have ever, ever guessed that magnificent disaster happening.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 19, 2014

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

I blame a lack of practice round :v: it was pretty hilarious though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Was I the only one who saw the other possible seven animal alliance? I kept it to myself after the game just in case there would be some sort of variant on the food chain game again.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Roland Jones posted:

Bit late here, since it was my grandfather's birthday today and I went to the dinner out of town for that with my family, but thanks for all the kind words. After getting some sleep I felt a lot better.
Yeah, the motto for getting close to the end in these things and then losing should be "It gets better." :unsmith:

I still feel a little frustrated about losing Perfect 10 the way I did but losing Survivor really got in my head.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's a weird thing where at first it isn't so bad and then over the course of the next week or two it gets much worse before starting to heal in my experience.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah, you really just need to get some distance from it. Then it's quite fond memories whenever you think back to it in a general way, although in my experience still a little bitter if I think back very specifically to the poo poo I messed up or how close I was.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
for me the torment is never ending

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
if you lose to somebody you care about, it's much easier!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i never got an interview

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
This game made me really want to be a part of the Game Room community. You guys are all so awesome :love: (I spent way too long looking for a hug smiley and gave up). Although, I have to admit the survival games seem brutal from an spectator point of view.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

:glomp:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Well done chandler. I'm glad I didn't sign up for this in the end as ever game bar one ended up being a maths focused game as I frequently whined about in the vista.

I take my hat of to the mods as they did a great job creating this and making it enjoyable for all the players. I do hope next season has some new ideas and I'll be excited to see them.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

MildManeredManikin posted:

It's a weird thing where at first it isn't so bad and then over the course of the next week or two it gets much worse before starting to heal in my experience.

This is exactly how it felt being eliminated. At first, the night I got eliminated, I was like "Wow this was fun I'm glad I participated". Then because my episode was on a Friday I stewed over it the entire weekend: "If I had given my garnet to Nexal would he have chosen someone else?" "If I had actually figured out the significance of win attacking would I have been able to survive in rounds 3 and 4?" and so on.

Eventually after about a week I felt a little better because two other people had been eliminated and it was still fun to watch...but those first few days were brutal.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Just chiming in to say I had a dream last night about season 2 and it was pretty strange. Don't just take my word for it, though... here's a short summary:

The games took place in person instead of online, and I showed up late to a qualifier to be part of season 2. The game we played to qualify involved finding hidden bouncy balls in the house where we had gathered, and throwing them into labeled containers from a short distance to gain points for yourself and to make other teams lose points.

Your personal point total started with the difference in birth years between you and the next youngest player. So if I was born in 1985 and the next youngest player was 1988 then I'd start with three points. After getting there partway through the second round and hearing most of the rules second hand while we were simultaneously trying to search for bouncy balls, I was eliminated immediately. I argued with the person running it that the game's rules made no sense and that I shouldn't have lost even based on the nonsensical rules. Eventually I had to give up arguing and move on with my life/dream.

Then, later, in a completely unrelated part of my dream where there was some kind of parade going on I received a sealed newspaper that had the headline "Genius Game Season 2 Schedule". Beneath it and on the inside was a list of all the players, names, and game rules. I opened and unfolded it to see if I qualified, and printed at the top above the headline was "Don't worry, Superrodan didn't make it!"

In conclusion, I hope that this doesn't happen in real life.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Superrodan posted:

This is exactly how it felt being eliminated. At first, the night I got eliminated, I was like "Wow this was fun I'm glad I participated". Then because my episode was on a Friday I stewed over it the entire weekend: "If I had given my garnet to Nexal would he have chosen someone else?" "If I had actually figured out the significance of win attacking would I have been able to survive in rounds 3 and 4?" and so on.

Eventually after about a week I felt a little better because two other people had been eliminated and it was still fun to watch...but those first few days were brutal.

I'm sorry for picking you but at the time I didn't know what my game plan was and thought you were safest pick in order to not piss people off.

I have now played survivor as well and I have to say getting eliminated in genius was far more painful than in survivor. Maybe it's cause I like genius just that much more as a game in itself.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Superrodan posted:

Just chiming in to say I had a dream last night about season 2 and it was pretty strange. Don't just take my word for it, though... here's a short summary:

The games took place in person instead of online, and I showed up late to a qualifier to be part of season 2. The game we played to qualify involved finding hidden bouncy balls in the house where we had gathered, and throwing them into labeled containers from a short distance to gain points for yourself and to make other teams lose points.

Your personal point total started with the difference in birth years between you and the next youngest player. So if I was born in 1985 and the next youngest player was 1988 then I'd start with three points. After getting there partway through the second round and hearing most of the rules second hand while we were simultaneously trying to search for bouncy balls, I was eliminated immediately. I argued with the person running it that the game's rules made no sense and that I shouldn't have lost even based on the nonsensical rules. Eventually I had to give up arguing and move on with my life/dream.

Then, later, in a completely unrelated part of my dream where there was some kind of parade going on I received a sealed newspaper that had the headline "Genius Game Season 2 Schedule". Beneath it and on the inside was a list of all the players, names, and game rules. I opened and unfolded it to see if I qualified, and printed at the top above the headline was "Don't worry, Superrodan didn't make it!"

In conclusion, I hope that this doesn't happen in real life.

Way to ruin Season 2 Jeremy. Now Asiina and I have to go back to the drawing board.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I can't wait for the episode of s2 where me winvirus and Roland Jones get to come back as guest players and school all the newbies.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Superrodan posted:

"Don't worry, Superrodan didn't make it!"

season 2 thread title imo

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Seeing new posts in this thread made me all hyped S2 was starting soon :mufasa:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Probably not until late January at the earliest. I haven't had at chance to work on this. I blame Popularity Contest, so really it's winvirus' fault.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Woke up to write that I also had a dream of season 2.
Instead of taking place in person it still took place in online but everyone was in skype or some kind of weird program like that with holograms.

It was the first game and there would be only 4 winners.
As the game progressed I realized during the game that I could not win so I decided to become last deliberately so that by the time Asiina told me to pick the opponent for my death match I would have about 30 minutes before making my decision. Using this time to write in the thread somewhere along lines that everyone who wants to be safe must give me their garnets now. So it narrowed down to between two players to pick for the death match.

I couldn't decide so I told the winners that garnets doesn't matter that much early on and they could give me a garnet in order to save one of these two and you would possibly be gaining an ally as well. So I got a garnet more and was left off facing a player who was non-entity. I won the death match and had lots of garnets and a black garnet as well. Then I went on telling everyone that I wouldn't be likely pick for death match cause I already have a black garnet and it would be lost if I were to be eliminated and it's your way out of this game to save your self.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

One Weekend Ultimate Reality Game!, It's like the genius but different in many ways and also it takes place in 2 days instead of 1 month.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So very sorry guys, but unfortunately I'm not going to have time to make Genius 2 before the end of January, which is when I'd need to for it to be done in time for me to run it and have it finished before spring, since March-June is crazy busy for me. I won't be able to run it before June.

I'm planning on running it over a period of about 2 months rather than 1. It'd be only twice a week rather than 4 times a week with "episodes" posted in the thread before the next set of games start.

If anyone else wants to run their own version in the meantime they are absolutely more than welcome to and I'd be happy to give any advice from my experiences.

Sorry if this post causes people to get their hopes up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I have plans for a Genius/Survivor type of game any week now.

• Locked thread