Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whoops, I was busy answering the questions, didn't notice this was open. Or that it had so many posts already, wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meinberg posted:

All of the tension and suspense that has been building has been given an avenue for release, and so we speak, we lift our voices to chatter and form connections. Welcome.

I have a habit of sleeping in (as in, all day), so when I woke up this morning I panicked, thinking it was late and I had missed the game, only to discover that it was, as I said, morning. Later, after browsing the Internet and playing some games, I panicked again, worried that I went and zoned out for hours, only to discover that it was noon. (Pacific time, so still four hours away from the game.) Even after all that I'd get worried now and then and glance at my computer's clock.

Even though I have absolutely nothing that can conflict with it, barring a power outage or something, I've been more worried about missing the game somehow than I have about the game itself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Superrodan posted:

My biggest fear is that at some point time zones will change on me. In Arizona they decided that Daylight Savings Time doesn't make sense so they just don't have it. That means half the year I am three hours behind EST and the other half I am only two behind EST. I know it changes in the fall but I don't know when so I'll need to make sure I don't mess it up.

Wow, as if Daylight Savings didn't make things weird enough already.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was wondering why there wasn't a lobby room as well, since people tended to congregate there when they weren't in a side room, but I guess that's what the thread is supposed to be. Is that about right?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I considered answering Jinho but I decided on Kyungran, with Sunggyu as a semi-comedy answer as well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never got around to watching season two. I've heard mixed things about it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still not four yet here. Oh no, I am trapped behind everyone else in time, this is a terrible disadvantage that-

Wait, there, it's four now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meinberg posted:

My clock says we have on minute still.

You're trapped even further in the past than I am. We chronologically-displaced must band together to overcome the severe disadvantage we're at due to our temporal issues.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait, beat. 1 then.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

winvirus posted:

Cena, meet me in the office once we have our roles.

Watch the office be the sky, and neither of you have birds. That'd be fun.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aha, I just noticed something hilariously counter-intuitive about one of the roles. And then there's the interdependence of several of the others, too. This is fun.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Little Mac posted:

During strategy time can players enter rooms their animals can't?

Same question. Also, confirming my role.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well that was fun.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Little Mac posted:

I was 100% honest and was lied to and still won. I am happy with this.

I didn't have to lie until you forced me. I was thinking I could just get through without lying because every time you asked me a question you asked someone else too, they answered first, and then a conversation with them started. Sadly you eventually realized you never actually got an answer from me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meinberg posted:

I spent rounds 2, 3, and 4 in otherwise empty rooms, fearing that at the end of each round, I'd move somewhere and get eaten right away.

I was only alone in round three. Almost wasn't alone; Nexal came in there, planning to eat me since we were otherwise alone, but he did so too late and died. Something of a stroke of luck for this otter, I suppose.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Hurt posted:

Hello players, just a reminder that any time during the game you can always send me a confessional. How did you feel during the game? Was life in the food chain all that it was cracked up to be? Would you have rather been a bug?

Well let us know! The viewers crave information!

My post-Nexal musing alone in the river is basically a confessional, feel free to post that in the viewer place.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Little Mac posted:

Haha I told you to meet me in the office on turn two. If otter/mallard/deer/rabbit were ever in the same room they were invincible. We never really got close to it, though, and one of the prey was actually aligned with a predator so it's a wonder we all lived.

If you all died early I was going to be immortal if/when I ran into the other preds; it's the survivors of those five who have to be together to survive, and if only one is still alive, well, yeah. That, plus Kit's goal being as much death as possible and Nexal's being to not starve, made working together after we revealed our roles to each other seem reasonable.

Which in retrospect makes him not killing you after we knew you were a herbivore really suck for me (and Kitiara, actually). And then he was going to eat me before it turned out he died of dehydration first. When he came into the river late I got briefly worried, then thought "no, it's his fault he's going to starve, he won't kill me for only one garnet." Then he said he was gonna eat me before Asiina informed him that he was already dead.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I find it funny that, of the people I saw talking about it, pretty much everyone thought this game favored the predators over the prey. However, two of the four predators went and ate people in the presence of stronger predators, confirming that they weren't the Snake and consequently got eaten in round one, axing half the potential death sources. The subsequent deaths of the other two preds at the halfway point not only caused the loss of the predators (besides the hyena, who won despite the above), but that of the Snake because no one was dying anymore, and the Rabbit and Plover because their partners died. As a result the people on the bottom of the totem pole, who were theoretically dependent on sticking together (or being the last man of us standing, for what I was planning on), ended up mostly winning despite being like at most two together at a time. It basically played out nothing like how I foresaw it going. How did everyone else expect things to go, generally? (Assuming that's alright to talk about; the thread's still open and I don't think this topic's against the rules or anything.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mr.capps posted:

Predators aren't suppose to eat other predators. That is what went wrong. Predators should have only target other predators when they felt their amount of prey was growing too little. It seems like to me the snake scared the other predators a little too much.

Yeah, the lion eats everyone except the snake. The croc eating the eagle was alright too, considering they compete for food and there was only one other acceptable food source in the room at the time anyway; taking the riskless route (assuming that Kit was lying about being the Snake for her protection and thus it possibly being me, which definitely makes sense since the Snake wants people to think he's edible) was the fair choice there. I'm just more surprised that all the predators died by the halfway point, resulting in half the players winning the first round.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
As I said, predators eating other predators wasn't a mistake, on the part of the Lion and Crocodile. The Lion eats whoever's safe, and the croc does the same; even if the person the croc tried to eat turned out to be the lion, that just means that he needs to do his best to avoid him since he won't die for that and the lion doesn't have much reason to eat two people in a round. Even though it shows the lion he's safe to eat, he can probably dodge the lion for the rest of the game, depending on where the two of them are (the river in this case, which was in fact perfect for the croc; the lion would have had to leave next round, so he could have camped there since he knows it's safe, then go from there). The Lion in particular needed to attack a person every round, even if it wasn't perfectly safe; while there was a chance of attacking the Snake and dying, not attacking someone is guaranteed death. The croc could have afforded to be a bit more picky, but passing up free meals still isn't advisable.

The eagle and the hyena were in more risky positions, because of, well, exactly what happened. It was kind of bad luck for the Eagle, since only two people were a threat to him after he survived eating, but feeding for the hyena was inherently risky (especially since, as stated, the Lion wanted him dead anyway; he really lucked out that he got the Rat with his kill).

Tangent, the birds. The Eagle was basically a less-powerful crocodile otherwise, except for his ability to enter the Sky. Anyone he encounters there, he knows is safe, since neither the Snake nor the higher predators can enter. Meanwhile, the other birds have a dilemma; on the one hand, the Sky removes three of the four threats from the picture. On the other hand, if the Eagle is in the Sky when they enter it, the only way they aren't dying is if there are others there that round, or for some reason the Eagle spares them (possibly figuring he doesn't have to eat until the next round and now knows a perfectly safe target, though that's a risk for him, and one I personally wouldn't take since eating now would prevent him from having to eat later.)

Basically, the predator ethos was to eat anything they knew was safe. The Lion because he needs to eat every round, the Eagle and Crocodile because there might not be a meal the next round, and the Hyena because doing so fucks over the Lion. The Hyena even has the special quality of wanting to eat more than one person a round if possible; killing more means less for the Lion to eat, increasing the likelihood of the Lion eventually starving. It doesn't even matter if it results in the Hyena himself starving.

The Rat and Plover, they obviously wanted to find and latch onto their respective predators. Attack everything they can to confirm if it's a Snake, showing that everything else is safe for them to eat (besides, again, the croc happening to try to eat the lion), and if necessary feed themselves to their pred to avoid the latter starving. The Rat actually almost did this, but the Hyena ate him first. Whoops. I don't think the Plover ever even met the Croc, which was bad luck for them both.

The Snake, this one's interesting because her ability was somewhat counter-intuitive. Getting all four preds to attack her would have only been four deaths; she needed to either try to avoid getting herself attacked until late in the game or, as she did, she needed to work with at least one predator and have them help her cause a bloodbath. In fact, being perfectly honest about being the Snake would have almost been a perfect strategy since it'd let the predators know who to kill, except as we saw the other prey went and claimed to be/implied that they were the Snake too.

The "shitanimals", as Mac called them, were also counter-intuitive. Their ability suggests a desire to stick together. However, there's too many of them for that, from every biome at that. It'd be impossible for all five to stay together from the start, even if they knew who was who from the start and had perfect communication. However, their ability becomes easier to activate the fewer of them there are, down to it being always active when there's only one left. Hence my working with Kit and Nexal; they wanted to kill the others, I wanted everyone else with my ability dead in case I ran into the other predators, since being the last one standing would have been a guaranteed win for me. It would have been especially hilarious if it worked, and then the Lion found and tried to kill me, since it'd fail, something that shouldn't happen (outside of the Snake being attacked, which would have left the Lion with bigger problems).

The Crow was just a game of odds, since as far as I know his bet came before he had time to figure out who was who. The Hyena was probably one of the best bets here, really, though, given the bird advantage above, picking the Eagle and the being his Rat/Plover equivalent would have been an even stronger move. Just stay in the Sky the whole game, and if/when the Eagle needs a meal and no others are around, bam. Be there first round, tell people honestly who you are and what you're planning. If the Eagle's there first round, then he won't eat you; even if you're the only one there, at least two other birds will be coming there next round unless they get eaten this round. If he's not, then he'll show up the second round, at which point you tell him your plan then; if other birds are around, he eats one of them, then in the fourth round if no other birds are there he eats you and wins. If none are there, he eats you, then wins; he just hangs out in the Sky the rest of the game, since again, unless the other birds all died, they have to return there next round, meaning he won't have to eat in the fourth. Barring a bloodbath, likely induced by either the Snake or directly caused by the Hyena, he's probably 100% made.

Most of this was realized in hindsight, mind; while I knew that I wanted my fellow weak animals dead from the start and a couple other ones, I had, for example, thought that the Hyena probably wanted to be picky rather since he has a long starvation period, though that one was partially because I misread the rules and thought he was a predatory version of the Rat until the second or third round. I didn't even realize that Crow strategy until I was writing this post.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Asiina posted:

stop calling them shitanimals :(

I liked being an otter, really. I got to be an rear end in a top hat and try to plot the deaths of my fellow bottom-tier animals. It was not a powerful position, and I kind of got lucky ending up with two animals who were also out for blood, but it was definitely fun.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Farewell Rodan. I... Didn't see you at all in round one, I think this is actually our only interaction so far.

Congrats Nexal.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
From what it sounds like, yeah, the Rat was Snake-checking for the Lion. Anything that the Rat doesn't die to is safe to eat for the Lion.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still unfortunate that he got eaten right away though. At least he got the Lion a meal.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mr.capps posted:

i can't count

You were just counting the dealers too, clearly.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hello everyone.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nexal posted:

Good evening everyone. Oh Roland is here. Great stuff. About the question I presented on friday would you be able to elaborate your thoughts more on that?

You were going to kill me. You suggested that we work together and all, then would have deliberately taken me out of the game if you hadn't ended up dying yourself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nexal posted:

Fair enough. I thought you were scheming before that incident against me already but as you say it might not have been that way.

Nope, I actually played that game way, way too honest. Until Mac pressed me I avoided lying entirely, in fact, and even though I was expecting everyone to assume I was a liar I took a lot of what people had to say at face value (luckily for me I don't think anyone I talked to lied to me, everyone's role ended up matching what they claimed). I could have been a lot more cautious in that.

Sorry you ended up in the elimination game, on a tangent; people pretty much immediately narrowed it down to you and Rodan since you two were the ones who took yourselves out, and the others ended up deciding on you over Jeremy. Though I think they're scared of your death match performance, so you got a chance to make an impression at least.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mr.capps posted:

This is the amount of prize money that will be at the end of this game.

We're gonna find a loophole in a game's rules and make so many garnets.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Immunities are more of a Survivor thing. The Genius doesn't seem like a thing they'd work as well in.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Office and Bedroom.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am placing my stone and not switching hands.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am placing my stone and not switching hands.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am placing my stone and swapping hands with Kitiara.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am placing a stone and keeping my hand.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am placing a stone and not swapping my hand.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am placing a stone and not swapping my hand.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am placing a stone and swapping with John Cena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am placing a stone and swapping with Hal.

• Locked thread