Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

MikeJF posted:

Yeah there's no way that they were doing to show the helicarrier, simply because that's too much the movie's property to play around with. I'm kinda sad that the new bus isn't a literal mini-helicarrier, though, that would've been way to work with the SHIELD visual identity. Hell, strap flight engines to the Illiad.

It seems like a nice mix of the helicarrier and the bus. I loved the reveal. Gonna be a shame when they have to crash it into something to stop someone from getting something while saving someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asterios posted:

It seems like a nice mix of the helicarrier and the bus. I loved the reveal. Gonna be a shame when they have to crash it into something to stop someone from getting something while saving someone.

Maybe they built it with ramming in mind.

I'd have a big ship that's got engines on the back and is just a giant battering ram on the front.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I expected but I knew that was hoping for too much. Plus helicarrier fuel is probably way too expensive to use one more than once every few years. That or Fury has it anchored in the Caribbean as a retirement home.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Buddington posted:

I don't think it was ever in any doubt that would happen. Out of nowhere Walking Dead comic/show spoilers: Rick loses his hand in the comics and Kirkman has said that's one of his biggest regrets because even in the comic medium it's such a hassle to deal with portraying him without one hand yet still having him be action hero protagonist. It would be even harder on film, and the show wisely transferred some amputations to other characters. Having to always film Coulson with a prosthetic or cgi out his hand yet still have him be a bad rear end would have been a ridiculous constraint, he'll just always have a Michael Jackson glove from here on out and they'll call it a starktech hand or something.

Oh, I had no doubt at all it was going to happen. Just thought it was cool.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I expected but I knew that was hoping for too much. Plus helicarrier fuel is probably way too expensive to use one more than once every few years. That or Fury has it anchored in the Caribbean as a retirement home.

It's being run by Nick Fury's Special Avenger-Support-Only-SHIELD, no relation to Coulson's SHIELD.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

So which one is THE REAL SHIELD?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

So which one is THE REAL SHIELD?

Yes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm gonna miss Rull Shuld

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MikeJF posted:

Maybe they built it with ramming in mind.

I'd have a big ship that's got engines on the back and is just a giant battering ram on the front.

a jackhammer battering ram, dont even need to be going that fast mang

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I had a look at the gallery linked below as it's nice to see a cast who genuinely seem to get on with each other, but this pic has disappointed me that it's not actually from the show itself:

http://marvel.com/news/tv/25167/cast_crew_celebrate_the_season_3_premiere_of_marvels_agents_of_shield.?linkId=17339236

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Metalshark posted:

I had a look at the gallery linked below as it's nice to see a cast who genuinely seem to get on with each other, but this pic has disappointed me that it's not actually from the show itself:

http://marvel.com/news/tv/25167/cast_crew_celebrate_the_season_3_premiere_of_marvels_agents_of_shield.?linkId=17339236

That shirt better be in the show

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how Chloe Bennett and Clarke Greg as like the same height.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Metalshark posted:

Aww, they make a cute couple

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

This show has some pretty good man-candy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

Mack needs to wear his sweaty oily engineer tank top again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hope and vaseline posted:

A friend of mine says one of the things she loves about the Marvel films is they have way more eye candy for ladies than for men. I mean, there hasn't been a shot of like Widows shirt being torn. or something like that, but hey there goes Thor's shirt!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

A friend of mine says one of the things she loves about the Marvel films is they have way more eye candy for ladies than for men. I mean, there hasn't been a shot of like Widows shirt being torn. or something like that, but hey there goes Thor's shirt!

To be fair, it's not just Marvel. Have you seen Henry Cavill?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
please stop objectifying them, they are artists not pieces of meat for your sick enjoyment

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I know, it's the best. :allears:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Yeah but they killed Trip :[

He was so pretty

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BlueBayou posted:

Yeah but they killed Trip :[

Nah, they just killed the skrull impersonating Trip.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I am so pumped for Constance Zimmer on this show as a villain. EVERYONE GO WATCH UNREAL. NOW.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

FarScape, Mad Men...
Firefly.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I started re-watching season 1, and it really isn't that bad on a second watch. Coulson, Simmons and Fitz are spot on from the start, while May, Ward and Skye take a little while to find their characters.
It did start out slower than i remembered, and the first 3-4 episodes were pretty mediocre, tut by episode 7-8 the show has already improved, and is telling some good stories.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Oasx posted:

I started re-watching season 1, and it really isn't that bad on a second watch. Coulson, Simmons and Fitz are spot on from the start, while May, Ward and Skye take a little while to find their characters.
It did start out slower than i remembered, and the first 3-4 episodes were pretty mediocre, tut by episode 7-8 the show has already improved, and is telling some good stories.

Yeah, I said this when I caught up, but season 1 really lends itself to binge-watching a lot more than S2. I can see the complaints for S1 if you had to wait a week or more between episodes, but when put all together the pacing is good, they answer questions steadily, they set up and pay off plot points, etc. S2's faster pace when binge-watching is almost off-putting because it gives you so much to process. I feel like late season 1 would've been the perfect time to catch up with the show as weekly viewing because then you could watch the slower part all together and the fast-paced stuff spread apart with airdates.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
It's the "or more" that really killed S1 for me while trying to watch it week to week and why I appreciate Agent Carter even above it just being a good show. Any time I'm watching a show and they have a two or more week break only to come back, air one episode, then take the next week off again it really ruins it for me and I almost always check out for a while to "bank" a few episodes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Season 1 was pretty ridiculous in terms of breaks and it would've killed any show that wasn't tied to the MCU juggernaut and wasn't all but guaranteed at least a second season. It had your usual sweeps scheduling awkwardness, the near-month-long break for the Olympics, and then like two or three multi-week breaks just to match up with TWS's release date. And this is after that initial run of aggressively boring episodes to start the season.

Episode 10 aired on December 10th.
Episode 16 aired on April 1st.

That's 16 weeks to show 6 episodes, with all kinds of week/month-long breaks in between individual episodes, just to guarantee that any slight momentum/hype built up by any decent episodes was well and truly gone by the time the next one aired. I can't think of any other show that benefits from binge watching as much as this one, although I still think the first dozen or so episodes from season 1 are perfectly skippable.

e: Also keep in mind that while all of this was happening, the people behind the show and even some of the cast were whining about how unfair it is that people were saying the show is too slow and how impatient today's TV audiences are and how hard it is to build a deep, rich world because everyone wants instant gratification/answers. While showing 3 episodes every two months. Yeah.

VDay fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 28, 2015

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I had completely forgotten about all the breaks when it originally ran, sometimes it seems like networks are actively trying to sabotage the shows they invest millions of dollars in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oasx posted:

I had completely forgotten about all the breaks when it originally ran, sometimes it seems like networks are actively trying to sabotage the shows they invest millions of dollars in.

Was Winter Soldier delayed? I mean, they knew before they even started airing exactly which week episode 17 had to air, didn't they?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MikeJF posted:

Was Winter Soldier delayed?

Nope.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think the filming was delayed or something, but the same stories that reported that in like January/Feb of 2013 also list April 4th as the planned/announced release date for the movie, which is when it actually came out.

I will say, in the show's defense, that lining up an episode of a TV show that's 2/3rds of the way through a season with the release date of a movie that's coming out in like a year sounds like a loving logistical nightmare, but that doesn't really excuse the actual problems most people had with that season's first half.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oasx posted:

You'd almost think this was airing on Fox!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

You'd almost think this was airing on Fox!

Well, Whedon is connected to the show, so...

VDay posted:

Also keep in mind that while all of this was happening, the people behind the show and even some of the cast were whining about how unfair it is that people were saying the show is too slow and how impatient today's TV audiences are and how hard it is to build a deep, rich world because everyone wants instant gratification/answers. While showing 3 episodes every two months. Yeah.

You're right. Still, they weren't wrong.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So not only does this week see the SHIELD comic have Phil Coulson team up with Howard the Duck, but we also get "The Calvalry #1".

An entire issue dedicated to Melinda May kicking rear end. The only thing better would be an entire issue of bearded Ward giving crazy eyes.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well Heroes has returned to remind us all how bad things can get!

It's a complete Marvel rip-off (like down to iconic scenes) now, except they are still hilariously incompetent and devoted a third of the running time to 90s quality CGI fighting in a VR Game. It's hilariously awful. There's some things that aren't bad about the show and I'll probably ride it over a cliff again, just saying that SHIELD has absolutely nothing to worry about from that front at this point.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is Agent of SHIELD back this week or next?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rirse posted:

Is Agent of SHIELD back this week or next?

Not just this week but this very day today.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Get excited!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I have the day off today so I thought I'd binge a bit on season 2. I forgot just how good Iain De Caestecker was in the first few episodes. Really looking forward to pissed off, obsessed with Jemma's disappearance Fitz now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

But there won't be any Cal :( Unless they need emergency vet surgery.

• Locked thread