Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Robot Hobo posted:

It must have been very annoying when it came time to evaluate her abilities post-Terrigenesis. Skye started making earthquakes, so that was easy to spot. Lincoln started shooting static electricity all over, and Gordon's eyes went away and he started to involuntarily BAMF around, so those were quick answers too. If Skye's Mom just heals well and doesn't age, it may have taken decades to figure that out.

Terrigenesis and then... nothing.

A year later... nothing.

Ten years later... nothing.

30 years later... she's looking great for a middle-aged lady. Um, is that a superpower?

60 years later... Ok, calling it. Super not-aging. Done.

We don't actually have her age. It's entirely possible that she's been hanging around for hundreds of years. Doesn't discount your point, but it may have happened before terrigenesis was ritualized in the "old school" way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Finally watched the AoS finale and decided to catch up on the thread. Holy hell that was a lot of posts.

Pretty great season, Cal won the season overall, Fitz the finale itself. The action had a decided up-turn in quality, though Daredevil kinda lessened the impact of that.

In Daredevil, the action is visceral, you feel like Murdoch is under real threat of imminent death. In Skye and most of May's fight scenes, it's much more like a dance, everything choreographed and smooth. This was most apparent when they invaded the hydra base, less so with the fight with the redhead.

OTOH, Bobbi's fight with Ward was pretty badass.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Marvel, through their short MCU history has been very good at avoiding the power creep that plagues comic book and superhero shows. Shelving Cal, being willing to kill off nameless inhumans, killing quicksilver. Next season of Agents, with Skye collecting powered people is going to be interesting to see how they avoid getting out of hand.

I am banking on them having a strong tie to Civil War and I'm wondering if they adjust the season later so they can have more post civil war episodes.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

achillesforever6 posted:

What I hate is other than Loki, Nebula, Abomination, and Sam Rockwell; they've been a little too kill happy with the villains, especially involving HYDRA, I mean sure Zola could have probably survive with a back up, but it was really lame how they punk out Strucker just to make Ultron look "dangerous" unless of course that was a body double. Really I just hope they didn't use AIM for Iron Man III just because its a thing from the comics, I want MODOK drat it and the Beekeeper Suits!!! :argh:

That's probably Marvel's biggest weakness: they've managed good, deeper heroes, but their villains have generally been flavor of the month. We introduce and defeat the villain all in one movie/episode/story arc. Loki and Cal have been some of the few exceptions, with Cal extending over the whole season and Loki being a repeat antagonist.

This is one of the reasons that Fisk in Daredevil was also a breath of fresh air. He was a legitimately interesting antagonist and I hope they can keep that sort of thing going in future seasons. And other series properties.

Curious if they ever give any sort of character growth to Thanos beyond evil dude that wants to control the infinity stones/universe. They have a Thor movie and a Guardians movie to do so before Infinity Wars comes out.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^^ not to override the rest of my post, but Heroes: Reborn is his current big project.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

As awesome as this would be, Jaime Alexander is also potentially going to be very busy now with her own series this fall.

You know, people say this a lot when talking about an actor/actress, but really, how often is this actually the case? It's not uncommon for an actor to do a TV series and a few movies and maybe a guest spot or two. Most of these shows are filmed in the same spot, so even someone with a busy shooting schedule can fit some other project in.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 17, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Teek posted:

Using Marvel's full TV/Movie catalog, I think there's a chance it could actually support a channel, Star Wars not as much.

It would probably just turn into the Incredible Hulk and X-men Animated series channel though.

Their best bet would be to just double down with Netflix and launch a Netflix-powered, Disney-owned sub service.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

hiddenriverninja posted:

Maybe he will go full Emperor at the end of Season 3.

At which point we find out he's been evil all along and a stupid stand with Lincoln thing comes out of social media?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

RareAcumen posted:

Man, what a good season. My only gripe is that they didn't ever bring back the Gravitonium. That's what I thought they were looking at when they got into the ship and that thing that swallowed Simmons. And it's probably gonna get more people when they come back and the door's still open.

Hopefully they've got cameras watching it by now in case it does something different than usual.

Pretty sure they are keeping a lot of that on the shelf. This year they had a pretty clear goal of what they wanted to do: fight hydra and introduce inhumans. They also avoided bad-guy-of-the-week, which has proven to be important to the show.

Another character on the shelf is Donald Gill aka Blizzard. I would not be surprised in the least if icy dude and Lincoln had a powered white dude standoff sometime next season.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Phylodox posted:

Is there an alternate universe where Jemma Simmons is played by Danielle Panabaker and Caitlin Snow is played by Elizabeth Henstridge and would anyone notice?

No.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dravs posted:

Is that supposed to be Lincoln below Mack?

Yes. That's Lincoln, who was promoted to series regular.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

hope and vaseline posted:

Hopefully they promote him with a personality too

What, pretty fan service for the lady fan is not enough?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

I guess if you're into generically lean and muscular twinks...

That's the type these days, isn't it?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, now she and James D'Arcy are competing against Gregg/Bennett.

That is an incredibly difficult choice to make.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

swickles posted:

I don't really follow the inner workings of comic books, but does DC have any plan to establish a universe in a similar way to Marvel? They could easily do the same thing the Justice League in almost any incarnation like how the Avengers was made. I know they have a growing TV interwoven universe, but any plans to bring it to cinema?

Batman vs Superman is coming out next March and the first trailer for Suicide Squad just hit too. They're bringing the universe together.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Unlike Marvel where the TV and Netflix shows are connected, but the soonest we'll probably see crossover will be Infinity War or Inhumans.

Decent chance there's a Civil War background cameo for some Secret Warriors. Decent, not great...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Ensign_Ricky posted:

#paybackthouartabitch

Getting some of the Much Ado cast together?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Dubsmash directed by Joss Whedon?

In black and white, of course.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

swickles posted:

I was hoping that version of the show would be Agents of W.A.R.D.

Crazy Ward recruits his own batch of marginally powered people (razor fingers makes a comeback), calls them... I dunno, hidden combatants... They run around doing hero stuff but constantly let Ward down which makes him so :smith:. Ward is accused of being evil.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Finally indoctrinating my friend into AoS and I'm realizing that they really went deep into the foreshadowing. It's all there, Ward's treachery, Raina's ability, pretty much everything important straight into some setup for the 3rd season stuff way back in the last 5 episodes of season 1.

Looking forward to where it's going.

e: Also the other shield was set up in Providence, the episode directly after Turn, Turn, Turn.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 1, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Slashrat posted:

I don't remember anything guns from season 1, aside from Doctor Franklin, that haven't already been fired by the end of season 2. Could post what specifically it foreshadowed for season 3?

Don't forget that discount Iceman is still out there. Coulson's love of collecting powered people is hinted at. I'm sure, once the season airs, that more stuff will become apparent, though I won't give them too much credit for it, considering that they probably thought that they were just setting up stuff in season 2 that got pushed back.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

NowonSA posted:

Daisy's hair, noooooooo :negative:.

Daisy's hair, yessssssssssss :getin:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Vitamin P posted:

BSG and Buffy are the only shows I can think of where the intro music actually added in a 'more than the sum of its parts' way. Maybe Scrubs and Firefly.

Was always fond of Community's, especially the subtle changes to the visuals. Friends was iconic as well. Not good, but iconic.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Right? That gradual progression to hey, we're a place of peace and diplomacy to work out problems between the races of the galaxy, to we give no shits because it is the end and the beginning.

B5 derails are the best.

Someone needs to produce a new space show quick. A new Star Trek or something. So many classic shows from that period: TNG, DS9, B5, Farscape, Andromeda.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

XboxPants posted:

Supposedly CBS thinks the movie failure of Nemesis was because of franchise fatigue from having too many Star Trek shows on TV for too long, and in order to avoid that they now want to minimize how much Trek they make - i.e., no new TV series.

bull3964 posted:

A Star Trek TV show right now would be a competing property with the movies and CBS doesn't want to do that. TV and movie rights for the franchise are held by different owners.

TV series and merchandising is controlled by CBS who is not exactly known to be forward thinking. Abrams had a whole plan in place to cover a bunch of different formats including a TV series and a whole chain of movies. CBS dragged their feet, Abrams gave up, went to do the same for Star Wars.

A new timeline Stargazer series on Netflix or a lower-decks series on HBO could be so good.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Blazing Ownager posted:

Maybe an extreme statement. But that fight was better executed action than a lot of films.

Having just watched Daredevil at the time, my reaction was more "Man, I bet their TV division has hired some really badass fight choreographers, I wonder if they're using the same ones?" I still wonder that. AoS suddenly got way, way, way better action sequences right around the time Daredevil landed with it's own very impressive action sequences.

Anyone know if they hired some top-notch Hong Kong fight directors or something? It's very noticeable.

I thought Daredevil actually hurt the AoS fight sequences because it showed just how much better they could be. The one-shot felt like a dance where she was just going through the steps, all pre-planned and flowing. There wasn't a moment of danger or "oh poo poo didn't see that coming."

The fight with clone girl was a little better, but still was very, very, very choreographed.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

enraged_camel posted:

Daredevil didn't hurt AoS fight sequences. The shows have categorically different tones.

Just one man's opinion there. The one shot was awesome, but I had just watched Daredevil's hallway one-shot and holy poo poo.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Soothing Vapors posted:

His response to Skye at about 2:43 is also genuinely hilarious, way better than most blooper reel poo poo

I couldn't tell what he was saying in that one.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Tarquinn posted:

Honestly, absolutely no offense intended , but are you a native speaker?

Seriously, I am just curious.

OK, turned the sound up on my computer all the way and yes, now I can hear what he mumbles.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Was that BatWard in the car?

That may have been Ben Affleck.

Oasx posted:

For those that don't know, that is the new Supergirl in the video

Error 404 posted:

Oh snap they've gone multiversal!

And I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually Ryan Reynolds in the Deadpool costume.

e: Carter's was better. Shield brought quantity to their star video, but the execution was weak. Carter had the man, himself, and dropped the hammer on cross-series references.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 23, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Air is lava! posted:

Unless they confirm who's beyond those masks, I guess it has to be some random dudes. But I really hate the song either way. To bad.

Ben Affleck is sporting a very similar beard right now. No telling with Deadpool, but that looks like a studio Deadpool costume. The mask with the white eyes are set up for computer animation where any fan or publicity costume would have a more customary white mesh over the eyes.

e: no, looking closer, that's definitely a fan or even a store bought deadpool. plastic and not the leathery look they went with for the movie.

e2: It could be BatWard, but if it is, that's an impressive amount of beard growth from the first weekend in September (the most recent image of him I can find). Otherwise, just have to go with unknown friend or celebrity.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 23, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PunkBoy posted:

Dubsmash talk is love. Dubsmash talk is life.

In the meantime, however, watch the season 3 opening!

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/24/agents-of-shield-season-3-opening

"He's coming too? Roger that."

eeeeeeeeee it's a new bus!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Gonz posted:

Look at it this way: You'll either crumble into dust, or develop horrifying mutant powers.

Nah, we already established that it was the metal that was embedded in the terrigen crystals that caused death. The dissolved crystal that's now present in the food supply is transformative for those who have the inhuman gene sequences and has no effect for those that do not.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

VDay posted:

Neat opening, definitely sets up some questions. Looking forward to the actual episode and this season in general. Fingers crossed that they use the fact that they can just make up Inhumans wisely and come up with some neat powers/characters.

They do have to be careful with power creep, but have the advantage that they can really limit the scope of what each character can do (since a lot of them will be brand new, not based on a comic property). This will help prevent things from getting too far out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Keep in mind, Coulson was able to break his TAHITI conditioning, no reason Cal couldn't.

They're just keeping him set aside until they need him again.

• Locked thread