Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Good Sphere posted:

Out of Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint, which has the best iPhone trade in deal? I’m with Verizon now. I have an iPhone 6s Plus. If I was to go with T-Mobile it seems that I would be leasing the iPhone 11 and paying $200 spread over 24 months. With Sprint, you pay nothing for 18 months and then pay the remaining $175 for 6 months. So sprint seems like the better deal, unless I didn’t get all of that right.

Also, this weekend T-Mobile is doing $200 off iPhone SE with that trade in (or $400 off trading in an iPhone 7), if you want to go cheap/small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Thank you. I went with T-mobile. Verizon had no trade in deals for iPhone 11.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What happens to trade ins? Mostly stripped for parts or resold on the second hand market?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

What happens to trade ins? Mostly stripped for parts or resold on the second hand market?

Refurbished and used to re sell in some fashion, or parts of it can’t be re sold. I don’t know enough to go more in depth, but I’m sure all the carriers (and repair shops in general) have a pretty decent science as to what to do with used phones.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Is there a brand of tempered glass that will actually stick fully to the screen of my new SE? The curved screen has left a ring around the edges where the flat protector won’t adhere and it’s very distracting not to mention I’m sure it will be stuffed full of lint and dust after a month of pocket time.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Is there a brand of tempered glass that will actually stick fully to the screen of my new SE? The curved screen has left a ring around the edges where the flat protector won’t adhere and it’s very distracting not to mention I’m sure it will be stuffed full of lint and dust after a month of pocket time.

You don't need a tempered screen protector. :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Most brands should be fine, but I’ve setup Zagg for years so I’ll always recommend them. It adheres 100% fine to the iPhone 8, so the SE should be fine. Plus lifetime warranty.

Screen protectors are def a preference. I use it, but I’m also a bit biased and get discounts. Personally, it helps at the least keep the phone from getting scuffed, so you have the possibility to have better re sale value.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Duckman2008 posted:

Most brands should be fine, but I’ve setup Zagg for years so I’ll always recommend them. It adheres 100% fine to the iPhone 8, so the SE should be fine. Plus lifetime warranty.

The Zagg tempered glass screen protector for the iPhone 8 does NOT sit around the edges on the new SE. I got one from work when my wife got her SE, and it has that issue. The curvature on the SE glass seems to be a bit more than the 7/8 - it's definitely a different part since it has no force touch.

Just wait for someone to have an SE-specific screen protector. Preferably a real company, and not somebody that sells on Amazon and relabeled an old protector. Zagg might have one by now, but make sure it says SE on the package since the old version doesn't work.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

I recently upgraded my 7 to the 11, wow, this phone is fast. I’m posting the 7 up for sale in the SA Mart if anyone is interested.

Anywho, I have a question about Apple Music Family plan. My wife, her sister and myself all have iPhones and we all live together. My sister lives back home in Colorado and has an Android. If I signed up for for the Apple Music family plan, can I include my sister on the plan no problem? The only thing I’m worried about is Spotify apparently asks you to verify your address in order to be on their family plan. Also I have a couple Google Home speakers in our home, I see voice commands won’t work but I’d be able to stream Apple Music from my phone, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

The Zagg tempered glass screen protector for the iPhone 8 does NOT sit around the edges on the new SE. I got one from work when my wife got her SE, and it has that issue. The curvature on the SE glass seems to be a bit more than the 7/8 - it's definitely a different part since it has no force touch.

Just wait for someone to have an SE-specific screen protector. Preferably a real company, and not somebody that sells on Amazon and relabeled an old protector. Zagg might have one by now, but make sure it says SE on the package since the old version doesn't work.

Oh wow, that’s good to know. Appreciate the heads up.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I'm on a Gen 1 SE and just refreshed my apps to see if there were any updates, and it shows all (?) of my apps need to be updated

The hell?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MorrisBae posted:

I'm on a Gen 1 SE and just refreshed my apps to see if there were any updates, and it shows all (?) of my apps need to be updated

The hell?

13.5 just dropped so that's not surprising.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it’s showing me a bunch of days-old updates that i already installed so something is up

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Same, I went from zero updates to 20 from as far back as 5/14.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Has anyone done an AT&T unlock? Did you have to provide the IMEI or did they magically look up what phone you're using?

I'm asking because I want to know about unlocking the phone I'm replacing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Small White Dragon posted:

Has anyone done an AT&T unlock? Did you have to provide the IMEI or did they magically look up what phone you're using?

ATT will ask for the IMEI for sure.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wild, all my apps just updated as well, even ones that already updated after 13.5 was released.

e: ah, they re-issued updates due to a bug

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/25/apple-reissuing-ios-app-updates/

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 25, 2020

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there a way to sync my iCloud calendar with the Outlook app/Outlook.com?

It seems completely impossible to get apple to stop intercepting event invitations so this would be the next best option.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone who messes with shortcuts know if there’s a way of getting a notification if my zip code hasn’t had any rain in say 3 days? It’s been storming for like 10 days so I’ve turned my irrigation system off for now, but it’d be neat to run it as needed and save some $.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, with the Automation feature it should be possible to get it to do a thing when it doesn't rain. But I did a quick google and didn't see any handy resource to query for recent rainfall. It must be out there but most everyone's concerned with the forecast so it's a lot of digging through crap.

If you're in the US weather.gov lets you query past weather but the format is going to be pain to parse. Have fun!

https://w2.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=lot

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Will give me something to look into and mess about with, thanks.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

EL BROMANCE posted:

Will give me something to look into and mess about with, thanks.

I wanted to do something similar for my sprinklers but ended up getting a Rachio controller when it was on sale. It works great and does exactly what you want.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll have to keep an eye on prices, for some reason even though my house is small I have a controller for the front and one for the back. Not sure why as there’s only a few zones. I would’ve looked at getting the rain sensor add on but the one that exists if it’s even available these days sounds like it only does a live check rather than knowing how much rainfall over a time period.

It’s been years but I’ve written html scrapers before and wunderground looks like it would be easy enough. URL has a static page for the weather station and the date is in the URL too. So in theory I could cron a script to run in the morning, scrape the page to see if there was precipitation level above a threshold, and query an internal database as to whether I need to be alerted to water the garden. Not sure if that could be incorporated into shortcuts, otherwise I’d just use an email alert.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/KFLL/date/2020-5-25

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a way to get a pop up notification when my AirPod case is low on battery? I tend to put them on when my phone is in my pocket so never see that overall battery pop up and just neglect to check for myself every couple of days to see if it’s low.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

TheWevel posted:

I wanted to do something similar for my sprinklers but ended up getting a Rachio controller when it was on sale. It works great and does exactly what you want.

Arrrggghh, I just moved this past weekend and already have enough poo poo to fix/upgrade.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a Rachio, it's pretty sweet.
Also my local water utility gave me a $200 check even when I bought it for $100 on clearance so I made money on the deal.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I got a replacement phone from Apple today, and I need to ship this buggy one back to them-- should I wipe it beforehand? The Ikea-style instructions just say to back it up, turn off Find My for it, to charge it, turn it off and then stick it back in the box and send it on. The phone I'm sending back functions though, and I feel like I should wipe it for my protection before shipping it, just not sure if Apple's gonna get pissed about that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I got a replacement phone from Apple today, and I need to ship this buggy one back to them-- should I wipe it beforehand? The Ikea-style instructions just say to back it up, turn off Find My for it, to charge it, turn it off and then stick it back in the box and send it on. The phone I'm sending back functions though, and I feel like I should wipe it for my protection before shipping it, just not sure if Apple's gonna get pissed about that.

yeah you can wipe it. turn off find my first though

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Turning off Find My iPhone is the main thing because if you don't do that then the phone is useless to anyone else (including Apple), but you should wipe it too. They probably don't say that in the instructions because they plan to do it anyway, but you shouldn't trust them.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Cool, thanks dudes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Probably sign out of icloud too just to be safe since even if you wipe it the device will ask for the icloud account password before you can set it up. this is more to stop you getting charged for returning a 'non working' device or some weird bullshit if ts a warranty replacement thing.

maybe turning off find my iphone will also sign out of icloud I forget.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

withak posted:

Turning off Find My iPhone is the main thing because if you don't do that then the phone is useless to anyone else (including Apple), but you should wipe it too. They probably don't say that in the instructions because they plan to do it anyway, but you shouldn't trust them.

They definitely say to wipe it in the instructions.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201557

You can't even get an express replacement started without turning off Find My

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I definitely thought everyone was talking about COVID for a while there.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

They definitely say to wipe it in the instructions.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201557

You can't even get an express replacement started without turning off Find My

Yeah my advisor had me do that to start the process. The little booklet they send in the box does not say whether or not to wipe it, though.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

withak posted:

if you don't do that then the phone is useless to anyone else (including Apple)

Not including Apple. Apple can remove the lock.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If I don't have the PC with which I originally synched my iPhone (via iTunes), can I still do a full transfer to an new phone?

Mostly asking about music, everything else that matters should be handled via iCloud. I don't have Apple music or any other music sub.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there a way to sync my iCloud calendar with the Outlook app/Outlook.com?

It seems completely impossible to get apple to stop intercepting event invitations so this would be the next best option.

On Outlook.com you can subscribe to an iCal calendar link but that means you'd need to make the iCloud calendar public so in theory if someone found the url they could edit it. Not sure if that works for you.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone who messes with shortcuts know if there’s a way of getting a notification if my zip code hasn’t had any rain in say 3 days? It’s been storming for like 10 days so I’ve turned my irrigation system off for now, but it’d be neat to run it as needed and save some $.

It's not possible to have Shortcuts run in the background to check if it's rained and send a notification if so, that's not how it works. It is possible to make a shortcut check if it's rained and send a notification with a button tap, but I'm guessing that's not what you want.

IFTTT can do a simple "if it has rained, then send a notification" but I don't think it can do "but if and only if it has rained in the past 3 days." To do that you'll need some other solution like Zapier, Integromat, or Microsoft Flow. Those are general purpose automation servers that can do stuff like that but you'd need to build it yourself essentially.

e: The easiest thing, if you want to check the last 3 days, is probably a shortcut that you schedule to appear every morning that checks the weather for you on tap (this is key—it won't happen automatically). So say at 10 AM you get the notification, you tap it and it tells you if it's rained. Should be pretty simple too once you have an API/app that provides the weather data you need.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 29, 2020

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

On Outlook.com you can subscribe to an iCal calendar link but that means you'd need to make the iCloud calendar public so in theory if someone found the url they could edit it. Not sure if that works for you.

Thanks. Probably not something I want to risk though- it’s annoying this isn’t a solved problem at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's not possible to have Shortcuts run in the background to check if it's rained and send a notification if so, that's not how it works. It is possible to make a shortcut check if it's rained and send a notification with a button tap, but I'm guessing that's not what you want.

Isn't that exactly what automations are for? I have no use for them so have never actually used one, but when I was tinkering with them after the feature was added the very first page asked what time every day I wanted it to run.