Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Inner Light posted:

Imagine not almost immediately uploading photos to Google Photos for free so you have an instant backup. What a life that would be.

I'm just being smarmy though I'm not installing the PB

No thanks! iCloud is my usual, daily backup. Monthly Time Machine backups to local storage is my in-case-of-emergency. I made a duplicate of my .photoslibrary just in case. (I'm probably not even going to bother with the PB, hah)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

empty baggie posted:

I have a Kenwood DMX906S that I’ve been extremely happy with, but I think that, even though I bought it in November, it is now discontinued. I paid around $600 for it at the time. Wireless CarPlay and a capacitive screen are great features, especially compared to the old Pioneer CarPlay unit in my truck.

settled on a Pioneer 4500 NEX, picking it up soon, we’ll see how it is. Head unit itself is about $700

The Alpine ilx-107 is a solid unit, but looks discontinued. I’d recommended finding that used for anyone in the market.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Installed the public beta on my 2+ year old X.

It's nice having the weather widget on my home screen, even though Android users have had this since...2008?

quote:

According to The Verge, widgets were an integral feature on the very first Android phone — the T-Mobile G1 — which came out in October of 2008. 2008, people! That was more than a decade ago! To be sure, the first widgets were nowhere near what Androids are capable of these days, but still. The groundwork was there.
:shepicide:

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

It took until ios7 to make the clock icon an actual clock.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

look, I had to jailbreak to rearrange home icons, and to not have to pay $20 for the stock iOS apps

Times have changed. I wonder if Apple gave royalties to any of the jailbreakers they stole every idea from

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I jailbroke my 11 Pro because I could... then a few weeks later reverted it. I realized I did nothing with it and there are too many apps (banking, gambling) that detect jailbreaks and act obnoxiously.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Times have changed. I wonder if Apple gave royalties to any of the jailbreakers they stole every idea from

Good Artists copy..etc

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
How dumb would I be to install the iOS 14 beta. I have never installed a beta before

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

teacup posted:

How dumb would I be to install the iOS 14 beta. I have never installed a beta before

eh, iOS beta is pretty safe. Watch is the risky move.

If you want to try out the features go for it, just archive a backup. It’s as buggy as any early public beta release, but pretty ok overall. I just don’t want to wait to fall

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Public beta that is.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'd wait at least for a few more revisions before installing it on your main phone.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

settled on a Pioneer 4500 NEX, picking it up soon, we’ll see how it is. Head unit itself is about $700

The Alpine ilx-107 is a solid unit, but looks discontinued. I’d recommended finding that used for anyone in the market.

Alpine has stopped selling 2DIN units with airplay, only 1DIN units like the 702 or F903 for that extra "Tablet sticking out of the dash" feeling like a dollar store tesla ripoff.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Alpine has stopped selling 2DIN units with airplay, only 1DIN units like the 702 or F903 for that extra "Tablet sticking out of the dash" feeling like a dollar store tesla ripoff.

Yeah after reading here and doing some cursory googling I’m not quite sure I understand the motives behind car audio headunit manufactures lmao

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah after reading here and doing some cursory googling I’m not quite sure I understand the motives behind car audio headunit manufactures lmao

I would guess that since most european car makers don't do 2DIN mounts when you option your car without a radio, doing 1DIN only would be beneficial to selling more head units. It's still ugly as sin and it doesn't look very sturdy.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 11, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

They’re awful. There’s no loving reason it should cost over $800 for a glorified VNC session to your phone. Absolutely ridiculous.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I just dropped over $1k for this 4500 NEX installed lol. But no one NEEDS wireless carplay.

But w/e I look at it like a bed: how often you use it. Anything to keep me from fumbling my phone trying to look at maps.

Let me know if you guys want to know anything specific about this head unit. Seems pretty ok so far, menus could be a bit faster I suppose.

Don’t think anyone makes headunits with volume dials anymore eh? It has a lot of features the ilx-107 didn’t, like a DVD/CD player, Microsd, aux—but I never missed any of that with the ilx-107

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 11, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I’ve been using the iOS 14 public beta for a day now. It’s pretty stable and hasn’t affected me negatively but still it’s a beta etc.

If you’re like me and wanted to install it for the widgets… don’t. The only ones available right now are for the stock apps and there aren’t any that seem useful at the moment. Also, apparently Apple does not want widgets to be directly interactive, which is a bummer. Example:

I can’t simply tick off those tasks directly on the Home Screen like you’d expect to be able to, like how the iOS 13 Reminders widget works (iirc there was a checkbox bubble next to the tasks that could be checked off without launching the app?). Instead, tapping on a task just opens up Reminders to my Inbox list and that’s it.

For the Music widget, tapping on an album or playlist will open Music to that album/playlist, but it can’t actually play music on tap, and it can’t put music controls or a timeline(?) bar on the widget.

I don’t think widgets being non-interactive is gonna change until iOS 15 at best.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I think the widgets have severe restrictions on what they can do to limit processing and save battery. It seems like the kind of restriction that Apple won't lift.

The Smart Stack widget is a neat idea that needs a lot of refinement. I could see myself just using that one on my Home Screen but I don't need to see pictures of myself every time I unlock my phone.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also, apparently Apple does not want widgets to be directly interactive, which is a bummer. Example:

I can’t simply tick off those tasks directly on the Home Screen like you’d expect to be able to

This reminds me of how Reminders used to be able to Mark As Completed immediately from the notification and then they got rid of it for some reason.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
In non iOS 14 news, I got one of my AirPods Pro replaced again. Second time I’ve bought it. I forgot which side the first time was but it had to be replaced because it made a really annoying buzzing sound. Few days ago my right one was acting up and started making that clicking/rattling sound that’s in the news right now.

Setting up the replacement is still an absolute poo poo show. I remember having problems pairing the first time and now I’m getting the same problems. You’re suppose to just put the new airpod into the case, press and hold the button and it should Just Work(tm). Except it doesn’t because it never goes into pairing mode, apparently because the firmware on each airpod are mismatched, and apparently the only fix is to just leave it plugged in and it should eventually update firmware. But you don’t know when and you can’t trigger it.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

~Coxy posted:

This reminds me of how Reminders used to be able to Mark As Completed immediately from the notification and then they got rid of it for some reason.

This works on my XS with a force press and my iPad with touch and hold.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Don’t think anyone makes headunits with volume dials anymore eh?

Man I hate that. A lot of devices I use (radios, cameras, etc) get rid of dials when those are the best thing to use for hands free operation. It’s especially bad for cars, and everything from the head unit to the AC is controlled by touch sensitive non-clicking buttons now. Stupid!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What are you people doing to your Airpods Pro that they need constant replacing? I got mine at launch and haven't had an issue.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

same people who cannot not lose an airpod every other week

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My launch AirPods are fine. I use them all the time. I had to replace my Pros twice. No idea why the ANC mics keep breaking. My ears must have bear traps in them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Violator posted:

Man I hate that. A lot of devices I use (radios, cameras, etc) get rid of dials when those are the best thing to use for hands free operation. It’s especially bad for cars, and everything from the head unit to the AC is controlled by touch sensitive non-clicking buttons now. Stupid!

The fact that Hyundai still uses traditional knobs and buttons for all their entertainment and A/C controls is a non-trivial reason I looked at them vs. other manufacturers.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Honda got vid of knobs on the radio my wife’s Pilot has and immediately brought it back the next model year after all the complaints.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Violator posted:

I’m just glad I’m in the future now with steering wheel controls, and this head unit was able to be wired into that. Even the original talk button will queue up Siri, which is nice. The ilx-107 had a dedicated Siri button on the headunit which was handy

There’s also a sort of mute button on the steering wheel that muffles the volume down, but you can still faintly hear it, so I can hit that when I’m an old man trying to find an address

We still need knobs though.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 11, 2020

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Zerot posted:

I think the widgets have severe restrictions on what they can do to limit processing and save battery. It seems like the kind of restriction that Apple won't lift.

The Smart Stack widget is a neat idea that needs a lot of refinement. I could see myself just using that one on my Home Screen but I don't need to see pictures of myself every time I unlock my phone.

You can remove individual stacks from the Smart Stack widget. The picture one is the first thing I removed.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Should you be able to cast Apple Music, or Spotify, to an AirPlay device and *only* have that stream output to the AirPlay device no matter what?

Right now when I do it and then hop to something else on my phone that plays audio -- Twitter, YouTube app, whatever -- it stops the Apple Music stream and plays that audio instead. It's super obnoxious and annoying.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

GeorgieMordor posted:

Should you be able to cast Apple Music, or Spotify, to an AirPlay device and *only* have that stream output to the AirPlay device no matter what?

Right now when I do it and then hop to something else on my phone that plays audio -- Twitter, YouTube app, whatever -- it stops the Apple Music stream and plays that audio instead. It's super obnoxious and annoying.

I don’t think you can but it would be really nice to have.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zerot posted:

Yeah I think they're basically handling them like watch complications, just for display of data and app launcher...really annoying if there's enough space for actionable stuff. Probably to prevent devs from going too far with it I guess. There's enough possible utility there I could see something happening eventually (god knows how many years), in usual Apple super limited/specific fashion that addresses many but not all use cases.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably better to think of them as live tiles from Windows 10/Phone.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I downloaded the iOS 14 beta and my iPhone storage went from 40 some odd GB to this. What is the “other” category?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Somehow my phone no longer vibrates at all. I guess the motor died?

Anyway, does anyone know if I bring this to Apple if they’ll just repair this phone or will they just give me a refurb? It’s an XS.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Housh posted:

My launch AirPods are fine. I use them all the time. I had to replace my Pros twice. No idea why the ANC mics keep breaking. My ears must have bear traps in them.

I've got my first replacements in the mail at the moment.

One day out of nowhere crackling appeared in the left ear with ANC on. Not long later, the right ear. It was so irritating I just turned off ANC completely. Then the left one started distorting bass.

I'm glad they're replacing them fairly easily but there's something off with the design of these things that's causing them to fail. The crackling might be firmware related but the distortion sounded like a torn speaker to me.

I'm really hoping it doesn't happen again but the odds aren't great from the reports I've read.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

empty baggie posted:

You can remove individual stacks from the Smart Stack widget. The picture one is the first thing I removed.

What’s the difference between the Smart Stack widget and just a regular stack? Both have the option to do the smart rotation thing to decide which widget to show so it seems like they’re the same thing.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Sri.Theo posted:

I don’t think you can but it would be really nice to have.

It's really insane to me that they built it this way, and after poking around yesterday I'm surprised there isn't more criticism of this.

Maybe it's a bit complicated to have an app given priority on AirPlay, though in terms of applications with the sole purpose of playing music, it is a horrible experience to have that interuppted while I'm browsing a website and my music stops because some embedded media that I don't want to hear in the first place hijacked my audio.

Violator
May 15, 2003

GeorgieMordor posted:

It's really insane to me that they built it this way, and after poking around yesterday I'm surprised there isn't more criticism of this.

Maybe it's a bit complicated to have an app given priority on AirPlay, though in terms of applications with the sole purpose of playing music, it is a horrible experience to have that interuppted while I'm browsing a website and my music stops because some embedded media that I don't want to hear in the first place hijacked my audio.

I thought there was a way that you transferred the current audio stream to the HomePod? I don't have one, but something like tapping the phone on the top of the HomePod will open the Apple Music app on the HomePod itself and play your music from there? I think if you use AirPlay it just streams whatever audio you're playing, but if you transfer the audio it switches devices. I think Spotify support for this is coming in the next big release of OS updates in the fall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I downloaded the iOS 14 beta and my iPhone storage went from 40 some odd GB to this. What is the “other” category?

Huh, yeah, my phone is doing this too.