Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it new to iOS 14 for FB Messenger to suddenly appear in the share sheet for sharing websites?

I swear that I only saw Messages and Discord in there before installing the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m not on 14 and I see it. Think it’s always been there, but I might be wrong.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is it new to iOS 14 for FB Messenger to suddenly appear in the share sheet for sharing websites?

I swear that I only saw Messages and Discord in there before installing the beta.

No

the share sheet can hide a lot of stuff by default because every app tries to cram itself in there

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Violator posted:

I thought there was a way that you transferred the current audio stream to the HomePod? I don't have one, but something like tapping the phone on the top of the HomePod will open the Apple Music app on the HomePod itself and play your music from there? I think if you use AirPlay it just streams whatever audio you're playing, but if you transfer the audio it switches devices. I think Spotify support for this is coming in the next big release of OS updates in the fall?

Right, Spotify runs a client on whatever device it’s playing from, which lets it continue independent of other audio that might play in the meantime, and Apple Music is like any other audio output your phone - it just joins the audio stream.

HomePod might do the same pattern as Spotify - running an Apple Music client - but at least AirPlay itself can’t selective stream audio on devices. Also HomePod can probably only do that because it’s an Apple device. Sonos units do same pattern - logging into your Apple Music via their own on-device software - but the implementation on Sonos is terrible IMO.

I was hoping I could just solve this problem with my iPhone as a player to an AirPlay device but sounds like my particular preferences require a HomePod, which I really have no interest in getting.

I’ll see what I can possibly cobble together using my Raspberry Pi.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Fallom posted:

No

the share sheet can hide a lot of stuff by default because every app tries to cram itself in there
That’s weird since I’ve never once seen Messenger contacts in the list of bubbles there even though it’s where 99% of my chats go (basically never use Messages) but suddenly with iOS 14 they’re actually showing up. It’s only ever been Messages and Discord and nothing else in the past.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 12, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It’s awesome after like 12 years of iPhones being a thing, the “other” is still a thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

“Other” is exactly why I don’t do betas. Last time I installed one it othered my phone into not being able to take a single new photo.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

That’s weird since I’ve never once seen Messenger contacts in the list of bubbles there even though it’s where 99% of my chats go (basically never use Messages) but suddenly with iOS 14 they’re actually showing up. It’s only ever been Messages and Discord and nothing else in the past.

They recently got it to show individual Messenger contacts as recipients for sharing stuff. It always had "Messenger" as a destination, and then you chose within the app whom to send it to. It isn't part of iOS14, it happens on my device now. I think it was the July 7 update.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

spanky the dolphin posted:

I've got my first replacements in the mail at the moment.

One day out of nowhere crackling appeared in the left ear with ANC on. Not long later, the right ear. It was so irritating I just turned off ANC completely. Then the left one started distorting bass.

I'm glad they're replacing them fairly easily but there's something off with the design of these things that's causing them to fail. The crackling might be firmware related but the distortion sounded like a torn speaker to me.

I'm really hoping it doesn't happen again but the odds aren't great from the reports I've read.

Huh. They don't tell you to try blasting them with compressed air?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Charles posted:

They recently got it to show individual Messenger contacts as recipients for sharing stuff. It always had "Messenger" as a destination, and then you chose within the app whom to send it to. It isn't part of iOS14, it happens on my device now. I think it was the July 7 update.
Ah fair enough. It only took Facebook, one of the richest companies in the world, a full year to add in what seems like a relatively simple OS feature!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ah fair enough. It only took Facebook, one of the richest companies in the world, a full year to add in what seems like a relatively simple OS feature!

Lol yeah, I thought it was just Apple apps you could do that to before this. Who knows.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I remember seeing Messenger and WhatsApp contacts being suggested at some point but then they just disappeared. I’m on iOS 14 now and I just checked with sharing a picture and a website and only Messages contacts are suggested. I use WhatsApp and Messenger way more than I do Messages.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I suddenly need to get a new iphone. Currently using the XR. What's the best choice for now. It's the 11 Pro, right?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's the top of the line model right now.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The top of the line model is "nothing at loving all they all suck right now what the gently caress is wrong with you Apple".

If you need one right now, rip you. 11 is the best price/performance by a lot (or SE2020 if you don't have the money). But if what's wrong with your current one is "battery", then you're wrong and it's actually just Apple loving up.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

SeANMcBAY posted:

“Other” is exactly why I don’t do betas. Last time I installed one it othered my phone into not being able to take a single new photo.

So is the “Other” category really connected with the Beta or is there anyway to reduce that amount?

I am liking the widgets so far (especially the stacking ability). The plan is for 3rd party apps to create their own widgets to add to the list, correct? Are there any other available widgets besides what I have? (This got me to download the Apple weather app ,now with Dark Sky, to have that as a widget)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I think iPhone X will be my first 4-year iPhone. All of my previous ones have been for 3 years.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

The top of the line model is "nothing at loving all they all suck right now what the gently caress is wrong with you Apple".

If you need one right now, rip you. 11 is the best price/performance by a lot (or SE2020 if you don't have the money). But if what's wrong with your current one is "battery", then you're wrong and it's actually just Apple loving up.

Without knowing what they want ($, camera, etc) it's hard to give another answer.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Charles posted:

Without knowing what they want ($, camera, etc) it's hard to give another answer.

Aye.

But I've seen a LOT of "my iDevice is broken" when it's actually just "why the gently caress is iOS running the processor like they're mining bitcoin?".

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Ah, yeah I need the phone because my dad (who is like 80) has been using an iPhone 4 for years and it just started breaking in a strange way. He really needs a new one and I figured I’d give him mine (the xr) and get a bit of an upgrade. Seems like there’s no reason to go with an SE aside from the price. And the 12 is slightly too far away to wait..

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tenacious J posted:

Ah, yeah I need the phone because my dad (who is like 80) has been using an iPhone 4 for years and it just started breaking in a strange way. He really needs a new one and I figured I’d give him mine (the xr) and get a bit of an upgrade. Seems like there’s no reason to go with an SE aside from the price. And the 12 is slightly too far away to wait..

Then it's just what features you prioritize and how large you like 'em.

SE is, indeed, for the people who really don't want to spend extra. 11 is best price/performance, though the Pro has some big advantages in some cases. Do tell us how the areas you're in are for signal if you need to decide between the two.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My 11 Pro works flawlessly and is an excellent phone for all of us nontechnical women and children. You should get one.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does the karaoke feature in Music only work for streamed songs through an Apple Music subscription, like do they not let people who just bought songs through iTunes have that stuff?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
11 Pro builds off of all the things that made the X great.

Right form factor, size , weight, Face ID works, solid battery life , camera, etc.

Adds further jumps in battery, the glass is a bit more durable, and honestly i think it’s the most noticeable camera jump I’ve seen with iPhone (and I went from XS to the 11 Pro). I’m a standard picture taker , and this is the first phone camera in a while (or ever for me) where I am like “woah; this is pretty impressive / detailed / life like.”

XS wasn’t awful at all, but a very small update. 11 Pro I think is worth upgrading from the XS. With the caveat of new iPhone probably coming in September or October, and of course it’s expensive.

(Face ID sucks a bit now due to mask wearing, but hey, not like anyone could have predicted 2020).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FaceID is still suboptimal for me in just about every situation but I’ve long since given up complaining about it since it won’t make Apple turn the ship around, and if they’re not going to invest in sub-screen biometric readers then I’d honestly rather have an inconvenient FaceID than a home button again.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Somehow my phone no longer vibrates at all. I guess the motor died?

Anyway, does anyone know if I bring this to Apple if they’ll just repair this phone or will they just give me a refurb? It’s an XS.

I *literally* had them service my XS for this on Wednesday. Replacement on the spot at an Apple store. Took less than 10 minutes after I saw the Genius. Make sure you do a backup right before you go, you won’t get a chance to do one on site and there’s no transfer, it’s just “please erase the old one and restore onto your new phone (at home)”. They want yo in and out as quickly as possible.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 12, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Duckman2008 posted:

(Face ID sucks a bit now due to mask wearing, but hey, not like anyone could have predicted 2020).

I've been complaining about FaceID for years and you know it, and specifically because I've had to wear face coverings for a lot longer than just 2020.

And you could have told this was a potential problem from literally half of Asia well before they committed to it.

Apple's just a bit poo poo at design these days.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Duckman2008 posted:

Tenacious J posted:

Seems like there’s no reason to go with an SE aside from the price.
There's one reason: it has touch ID instead of face ID.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gobbeldygook posted:

There's one reason: it has touch ID instead of face ID.

Also no stupid looking touch bar or notch.

I may get the small 12 if it looks good enough but the new SE is fantastic.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can’t imagine not getting the good phones for these very dumb reasons.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

SeANMcBAY posted:

This really whipped my head around. Since time no longer exists it's weird seeing people post dumb things from 200 years ago.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Even with masks I would still get the 11 pro over the SE (but again, if price is a concern, nothing wrong with the SE).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Dave posted:

Can’t imagine not getting the good phones for these very dumb reasons.

It’s price more. Like I said, I’ll probably get a 12 but both those things are bad design and look bad. The new SE is also good and has most of the same features.

Matt Zerella posted:

This really whipped my head around. Since time no longer exists it's weird seeing people post dumb things from 200 years ago.

Are you going to complain when Apple releases a notchless phone in a year or 2?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 12, 2020

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tenacious J posted:

Related to this, something I've wondered about for my parents, how y'all seen old people do with transitioning from the Touch ID phones to Face ID phones? Mine are still on the iPhone 6 so the SE is the easy and cheap upgrade route, while I'm sure they'd appreciate the larger screens of the other ones, I'm not sure how well they'll handle the swipe navigation.

Anyway that was a long way of saying you might want to consider the SE for your dad if that's a concern and just wait for the 12s to sell/upgrade yours.

Violator
May 15, 2003

japtor posted:

Related to this, something I've wondered about for my parents, how y'all seen old people do with transitioning from the Touch ID phones to Face ID phones? Mine are still on the iPhone 6 so the SE is the easy and cheap upgrade route, while I'm sure they'd appreciate the larger screens of the other ones, I'm not sure how well they'll handle the swipe navigation.

Anyway that was a long way of saying you might want to consider the SE for your dad if that's a concern and just wait for the 12s to sell/upgrade yours.

Interesting point about finger dexterity. Every old person I’ve seen use Touch ID is very slow and deliberate with it so it’s a choir even if they’re used to it. Face ID would be amazing for them, but if they’re slow with putting their finger on a button then swiping around to do everything might be a challenge?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
If I was old I would despise all the swiping I have to do with this phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

Hi, before 2020 turned the world into hell world I helped a lot of people of all types switch from Touch ID to Face ID .

It sounds dumb, but a lot of people uncomfortable with tech are scared of switching (a bit less so at this point, more so when the X came out). A good bit of 8+ sales over the years since the X came out was “I want the last fingerprint phone.”

That said, in my experience, most people are fine and Pick up the concept in a few hours to a week.

For the tech illiterate , there are people who don’t get it if they don’t have basic instruction. Right now this is compounded, because due to covid people aren’t exactly willing to sit foes and do a face to face tutorial.

That said, for tech illiterate, if you take about 15 minutes, show them how Face ID works, how swipe up works , here’s the concept of raise to wake , you can tap the screen to wake it up, etc. if you do that , like, 98% of people are fine.

Whether to get a SE or pass down a XR to tech challenged parents, that’s a person by person decision. If you’re willing to do a tutorial for them, I would say either is fine. I do over the phone tech tutorials for certain family members myself from time to time, and granted I do it every day, but it really isn’t thaaaaat hard to walk most people through learning Face ID over the phone.

realbez posted:

If I was old I would despise all the swiping I have to do with this phone.

Mileage varies I guess. I love swiping, especially switching between apps.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Swiping is one thing I think the buttonless phones do have the advantage of. It’s better than double pressing the home button.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I just type in my PIN like a cave man.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Huh. They don't tell you to try blasting them with compressed air?

They told me to try resetting / repairing them, like it was a software or firmware issue. I tried cleaning the wide mic with cotton buds but I don't get the sense that was doing anything. You think compressed air in that mic would de-clog and fix these maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

spanky the dolphin posted:

They told me to try resetting / repairing them, like it was a software or firmware issue. I tried cleaning the wide mic with cotton buds but I don't get the sense that was doing anything. You think compressed air in that mic would de-clog and fix these maybe?

It sure shares every possible symptom with "earwax clogging the driver element".

EDIT: Mind you I think it's a lot more likely it's the driver element that goes inside your ear that's got problems than the mic being the problem.

EDIT2: The secret tech tech here is playing an uncompressed file of Daft Punk's Phoenix at a loud volume. If the distortion isn't there at low volumes and appears at higher volumes, that's 90%+ hair or earwax in the driver.

EDIT3: Also ANC is extremely sensitive to problems like these. Also playing Phoenix loudly will sometimes dislodge the hair.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 13, 2020