Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’ve got AirPods but I don’t know if this would happen with non-Apple headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Question Mark Mound posted:

I’ve got AirPods but I don’t know if this would happen with non-Apple headphones.

well, i've definitely gotten pop-ups with my etymotics and bt sennies, but it's always like "good for not blowing out your eardrums"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

mediaphage posted:

i've always gotten the reverse of these, but to that point - how does the phone know what levels of audio are coming out of the headphones? surely they do not provide a completely equal resistance across brands.

Yeah I’m curious about this because sometimes I listen to lectures on YouTube at max volume because they’re so quiet. The actual db to my ear is incredibly safe.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Can you just crank the volume back up right away?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Can you just crank the volume back up right away?
Yup

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
It always amazes me how much lint you can get in the Lightning port. My phone’s been charging poorly lately and now I’ve dug out a ton.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Xabi posted:

It always amazes me how much lint you can get in the Lightning port. My phone’s been charging poorly lately and now I’ve dug out a ton.

I did this about a month ago. The cables weren't locking in place and I was afraid it was broken. I blasted it with air and nothing came out. Cleaned it out with a toothpick. It took some digging, but there was stuff waaaay up there. Pulled out a ton and it's perfect now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I did this about a month ago. The cables weren't locking in place and I was afraid it was broken. I blasted it with air and nothing came out. Cleaned it out with a toothpick. It took some digging, but there was stuff waaaay up there. Pulled out a ton and it's perfect now.

fwiw the sim tool is an excellent utensil for this

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Loving the update to 14 but something weird happened today that was not happening yesterday.

Turn the phone to landscape mode and I get what looks like 2 widgets and a search bar that can't be interacted with while using any app in landscape mode. I have no idea whats causing this, or how it happened. Does anyone know how to fix this?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Loving the update to 14 but something weird happened today that was not happening yesterday.

Turn the phone to landscape mode and I get what looks like 2 widgets and a search bar that can't be interacted with while using any app in landscape mode. I have no idea whats causing this, or how it happened. Does anyone know how to fix this?

it's a system bug because my SO is doing it too. he's super annoyed because the phone updated automatically and he's like THIS IS WHY I WAIT FOR THE POINT RELEASE lol

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mediaphage posted:

it's a system bug because my SO is doing it too. he's super annoyed because the phone updated automatically and he's like THIS IS WHY I WAIT FOR THE POINT RELEASE lol

After playing around with it for a while longer I figured it out.

Don't remember what its called but a bunch of widgets got added to the very top of the screen you get when you swipe right from the left side of the phone from the home screen. Remove all of those widgets that are above the news feed and then they wont bleed into other apps while in landscape mode.

No clue why it wasnt doing it yesterday, but after removing them it isnt doing it anymore.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bugsy posted:

After playing around with it for a while longer I figured it out.

Don't remember what its called but a bunch of widgets got added to the very top of the screen you get when you swipe right from the left side of the phone from the home screen. Remove all of those widgets that are above the news feed and then they wont bleed into other apps while in landscape mode.

No clue why it wasnt doing it yesterday, but after removing them it isnt doing it anymore.

thanks! i'll let my SO know, but of course, this is still a ridiculous bug

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Question Mark Mound posted:

If I wanna be deaf by 40 then bahgawd I should be allowed to!

This poo poo is seriously why I stopped using my phone for music and started using my iPod again. It’s even worse when it’s podcasts and you miss 30 seconds while you crank it back up to be audible.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I appreciate the feature but you should be able to turn it off.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I appreciate the feature but you should be able to turn it off.

Settings -> Sound & Haptics -> Reduce Loud Sounds -> Off

Maybe beta only?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mines set to off and I’ve never seen the pop ups people are complaining about. GM/release build.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I guess I do have the alerts. I just turned it on from 14.0 GM. Why all the complaints about something you can turn off?:lol:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It says very clearly in the screenshot that the notifications can't be turned off. I think "reduce loud sounds" is something totally different.

edit: maybe not? :shrug:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
On the Appletv, reduce loud sounds is the function that stops explosions in movies being way louder than the dialogue. I don’t know if it’s the same with the iPhone but,,, it would make sense for it to be the same

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I use a Bluetooth amp so hopefully I won’t ever get that pop up.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ok this pandemic has been going all year. Why do I still have to stare at my phone and wait before it offers me the option to enter my pin? I’m wearing a mask, yes, it’s 2020. Fix it!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

realbez posted:

Ok this pandemic has been going all year. Why do I still have to stare at my phone and wait before it offers me the option to enter my pin? I’m wearing a mask, yes, it’s 2020. Fix it!

They updated FaceID a few release ago to recognize masks and instantly ask for a pin prompt instead of trying FaceID

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well it isn’t working

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Tap the “Face ID” text.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

fourwood posted:

Tap the “Face ID” text.

God bless you

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

fourwood posted:

Tap the “Face ID” text.

Weird, I never had to do that, it just came up with a PIN of for me. Good to know though!

It does remind me how loving annoying it is to type in a PIN instead of just looking at your phone though. Bless FaceID.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I would think that the Podcast app would be smart enough to consider an episode with just a few seconds left to be "already played."

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I don't really know if this is the thread to post ios problems, but I just don't know what to do anymore.
Couple of days ago most of my apps stopped giving me badges/sound notifications on old iphone SE.
Yesterday I installed iOS 14, hoping this might help, but now I only got one notification, saying apple made me a 'my furry friends' photo slide show,
using some algorithm to find all pictures of pets in my photos and a dead bird and turning it into a slide show set to cheesy soft rock.

I do get them for Imessage, but whatsapp, line, agenda , gmail and messenger etc don't work anymore.

I checked the messaging options from the phone and individual apps, and also the sound options.

tried to turn options on and off, rebooted the phone a couple of times, and eventually did a reset of the whole loving thing.

But to no avail.

Should I hurl it into the sea, run into the forest and resort to a hermits life in nature?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It says very clearly in the screenshot that the notifications can't be turned off. I think "reduce loud sounds" is something totally different.

edit: maybe not? :shrug:
If it's something weird where it doesn't show up for everyone, might be like the old iPod volume limit thing way back that was regional cause local legislation (basically Europe iirc).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bugsy posted:

I play this solitaire too!

also I suspect the touchID lock button on the new ipad will be on the new iphone

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Small White Dragon posted:

I would think that the Podcast app would be smart enough to consider an episode with just a few seconds left to be "already played."

The developers don't do anything but make the squares bigger and slightly change the discovery page.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Xabi posted:

It is a poo poo port design that they should abandon. USB-C is fine, and will finally let me half the number of chargers I have.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

wooger posted:

It is a poo poo port design that they should abandon. USB-C is fine, and will finally let me half the number of chargers I have.

I mean im inclined to agree about the switch to USB-C but how is it better for debris?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Also after owning AirPods for a month and a half now i'm not really sure how I feel about them. Positives first: since they're not IEMs, they're extremely comfortable and I forget im wearing them. The H1 chip or whatever is pretty slick and the not having to fuss with pairing or turning them on/off. The charging case is super small and a 3rd party case clips onto my keyring and fits in my pocket without a problem. Siri reading off text messages to me owns bones, and apparently my voice comes across clear during phone calls.

The bad: they feel $100 too expensive, and that stings a little more considering the sound quality is at the level of EarPods. I'm also really going to hate shelling out $100 again once the battery goes kaput on these things. For that reason, it feels like a bad purchase.

That all said, i've used these daily for multiple hours because they're just so convenient. I'm fairly certain I haven't gone a day without using them since August. I've never felt this conflicted about a purchase before.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

buglord posted:

Also after owning AirPods for a month and a half now i'm not really sure how I feel about them. Positives first: since they're not IEMs, they're extremely comfortable and I forget im wearing them. The H1 chip or whatever is pretty slick and the not having to fuss with pairing or turning them on/off. The charging case is super small and a 3rd party case clips onto my keyring and fits in my pocket without a problem. Siri reading off text messages to me owns bones, and apparently my voice comes across clear during phone calls.

The bad: they feel $100 too expensive, and that stings a little more considering the sound quality is at the level of EarPods. I'm also really going to hate shelling out $100 again once the battery goes kaput on these things. For that reason, it feels like a bad purchase.

That all said, i've used these daily for multiple hours because they're just so convenient. I'm fairly certain I haven't gone a day without using them since August. I've never felt this conflicted about a purchase before.

$100 for something you are using daily is a pretty drat good value IMO. Not necessarily saying this is you but people seem to have trouble investing in things that will really improve their day to day, while spending carelessly elsewhere.

It’s almost like the old tale of people not wanting to pay, well, anything at all for an app yet will have no problem frivously buying a coffee or drink that costs more and not finish or dump it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I am not a fan of the AirPods for fit and sound reasons (they’re fine for podcasts and if I’m just running or whatever but I don’t like turning the volume up too high so I need something that blocks more sound). The AirPods Pro are pretty great (my so bought a pair for $110cad with the purchase of an iMac), though, and the noise cancellation is primo. The new AirPods rumours are that they should take after the pros at least in form factor (which is also good because they look way better).

I’m looking forward to seeing what the AirPods studio are like. Hopefully they’ll be over-eat instead of on-ear but I’m not holding my breath. Winter is coming soon and those might be a great earmuffs replacement.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not a fan of the Pros because IEMs never fit my ear canal just right and ironically fall out much easier than the standard plastic earpod-style AirPods. Hopefully they don't go down the road of only sound-sealing style.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

The Dave posted:

$100 for something you are using daily is a pretty drat good value IMO. Not necessarily saying this is you but people seem to have trouble investing in things that will really improve their day to day, while spending carelessly elsewhere.

It’s almost like the old tale of people not wanting to pay, well, anything at all for an app yet will have no problem frivously buying a coffee or drink that costs more and not finish or dump it.

Oh I agree it’s totally me and I portably spend near that amount in fast food. It’s just a weird dual impression of feeling like I spent too much while also acknowledging I’m using them and all the features daily.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The two don't necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. I paid $220 which is like anywhere from $150-200 more than I ever paid for heaphones from Amazon which did like 95% of what the AirPods do, so shelling out that money was H A R D. That said, it was really easy to forget the cost once they're in my ears and offer a great user experience and I've been using them almost daily during quarantine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’m on the same boat of disliking IEMs for comfort reasons.

When I first got my AirPods they were the only game in town for fully wireless headphones of their type, but the batteries are pretty degraded on mine by now so I could probably do with a cheaper replacement. Is there anything that comes close to their fit and convenience?

Or I could train myself to get used to IEMs so I don’t need to have AirPods permanently at full volume to be able to hear anything when walking near a high street.