Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

rafikki posted:

I haven’t used apple’s support that much, they do things like helping a recent android to iPhone user figure things out?

Most definitely. No apple care coverage needed either. Those are the days of old. People call in specifically requesting the screen sharing feature because they forgot how to move an app around. It's not just service requests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Most definitely. No apple care coverage needed either. Those are the days of old. People call in specifically requesting the screen sharing feature because they forgot how to move an app around. It's not just service requests

Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone have an order ship from ATT yet? Got mine in within 5 mins but have heard exactly nothing other than the initial confirmation email.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone have an order ship from ATT yet? Got mine in within 5 mins but have heard exactly nothing other than the initial confirmation email.

Had mine ordered at 7:56am and it arrived launch day. that sucks if they are late now

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I ordered through AT&T and then got an email the next day saying something had gone wrong. I ended up just cancelling and ordering through Apple instead. AT&T has messed up something about my order every single time I've gone through them for the past several years.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Does anyone have the Beats Flex?
I'm interested in getting some kind of W1/H1 (is there any difference? Flex says it has the W1) bluetooth earbuds but I wanted something with a remote.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've been troubleshooting my in-law's phone and just tried popping the SIM into one of my old phones to see what would happen. Got an alert on my current phone about that SIM's number being associated with my icloud account now. Took the SIM out, but I'm wondering if there's any other step I should do now to revert this. It's been a huge shitshow with the original user getting locked out of her iCloud account and everything, and I'm hoping I haven't just complicated it further. :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

~Coxy posted:

I'm interested in getting some kind of W1/H1 (is there any difference? Flex says it has the W1) bluetooth earbuds but I wanted something with a remote.

I saw a Rene Ritchie vid that described them as (paraphrasing) “sound quality’s pretty bad. They’re $50 wireless earbuds with an Apple chip on board and the Apple chip is the main party piece here. But if you do a lot of conferencing/etc and need a convenient set of earbuds that do all of the neat pairing stuff more expensive wireless Apple headphones do, and with the added benefit of a cord and clasp/necklace function so they’re always on hand, then these are good for that”

I don’t particularly trust Rene Ritchie over any other AppleTuber aimed at medium-information viewers (at best) but when a non-audiophile reviewer describes headphones as “more about convenience and affordability than sound quality” I tend to take them at their word.

If you want something above bundled-in EarPods but don’t want to spend the money on AirPods these are probably deec.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Minidust posted:

I've been troubleshooting my in-law's phone and just tried popping the SIM into one of my old phones to see what would happen. Got an alert on my current phone about that SIM's number being associated with my icloud account now. Took the SIM out, but I'm wondering if there's any other step I should do now to revert this. It's been a huge shitshow with the original user getting locked out of her iCloud account and everything, and I'm hoping I haven't just complicated it further. :(

Settings. Click name at top. Password and security. You can edit trusted phone numbers there. You didn't give much information but remember two factor works off trusted devices and trusted phone numbers. With the latter being a request for a verification code through SMS or voice call. You have to tell it to send a code that method because it pings trusted devices first. If it was a new phone or restored phone that's not a trusted device so you would need to get that code through the phone number. If you can give more info on what made you swap the SIM card let me know.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Yeah a friend got his on launch day through ATT (I went through Apple)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

~Coxy posted:

H1 is newer, supports bluetooth 5, lower latency, blah blah blah, and gives you the always listening "hey siri" function.

I haven't seen a ton of reviews of the Beats Flex but the ones I did see said they sounded ok, not amazing, but certainly a step up over the old standard wired earpods. Good battery life though.

Probably won't find anything else with the features you get from the W1/H1 chip around that price point though.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

LionArcher posted:

got into a dumb android vs iPhone debate on twitter because I mentioned in a choose one (a fold or an iPhone) that I could only run my business on the iPhone, and the android fan boys came out in full force attacking me that I could totally run a business on an android phone. I simply said you can run a business on an android phone, but not mine, and that seemed to only make them angrier, but the truth is, I would never run a business without iMessage and airdrop and and and...

Source your quotes

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

For those that care MKBHD's 12 review is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1b3C2081-Q

My boy getting 1 million views in a few hours, I've been with him since the beginning. Crisp as ever.

I wish the Pro and Regular reviews were one and the same but whatever, waiting to see the Pro one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

LionArcher posted:

got into a dumb android vs iPhone debate on twitter because I mentioned in a choose one (a fold or an iPhone) that I could only run my business on the iPhone, and the android fan boys came out in full force attacking me that I could totally run a business on an android phone. I simply said you can run a business on an android phone, but not mine, and that seemed to only make them angrier, but the truth is, I would never run a business without iMessage and airdrop and and and...
I generally have no issues with my new device, but there's surely still a bunch of things that make me feel brain damaged considering the hoops I have to go through to get there. Thankfully it's just minor things along the lines of customization and all. I'm maybe miffled that certain system information isn't freely available to apps, because I'd surely like an app that shows detailed data about the WLan environment and cell towers, something I only get by jumping through additional hoops of installing temporary diagnostic profiles. Alas, it is what it is.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

I ordered through AT&T and then got an email the next day saying something had gone wrong. I ended up just cancelling and ordering through Apple instead. AT&T has messed up something about my order every single time I've gone through them for the past several years.

Weird.

Yeah I only went through ATT because Apple app kept crashing during the payment info part. I checked ATT and they showed a waived $30 upgrade fee due to my FAN, which Apple didn’t, so I ordered through ATT.

Not a big deal, just wondered if anyone got theirs yet. I thought I remember them being pretty fast when I ordered out 8s a few years ago.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the Smartish (formerly Silk) case is unfortunately very bad, mostly due to the buttons being total mush. I used almost exclusively theirs with the 8 Plus but will see if Spigen has the solution for the 12

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

I saw a Rene Ritchie vid that described them as (paraphrasing) “sound quality’s pretty bad. They’re $50 wireless earbuds with an Apple chip on board and the Apple chip is the main party piece here. But if you do a lot of conferencing/etc and need a convenient set of earbuds that do all of the neat pairing stuff more expensive wireless Apple headphones do, and with the added benefit of a cord and clasp/necklace function so they’re always on hand, then these are good for that”

I don’t particularly trust Rene Ritchie over any other AppleTuber aimed at medium-information viewers (at best) but when a non-audiophile reviewer describes headphones as “more about convenience and affordability than sound quality” I tend to take them at their word.

If you want something above bundled-in EarPods but don’t want to spend the money on AirPods these are probably deec.

if they’re anything like the beatsx the sound quality is totally fine, though the build quality is a bit flimsy. they tend to break after about a year

i have the airpods pro now but i have no regrets using the beatsx, they were super convenient

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm maybe miffled that certain system information isn't freely available to apps, because I'd surely like an app that shows detailed data about the WLan environment and cell towers, something I only get by jumping through additional hoops of installing temporary diagnostic profiles. Alas, it is what it is.

This used to be possible... Jesus, maybe 10 years ago? But Apple didn’t want there to be possibly “malicious” scanning apps I guess so, bye to that! Which is stupid because a phone is a much better device for this than a laptop, where they let apps like that on the Mac App Store.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dogen posted:

This used to be possible... Jesus, maybe 10 years ago? But Apple didn’t want there to be possibly “malicious” scanning apps I guess so, bye to that! Which is stupid because a phone is a much better device for this than a laptop, where they let apps like that on the Mac App Store.

AirPort utility still does a WiFi scan. Lists all BSSIDs with ESSIDs and signal strength. No cell phone towers though.

Even though I no longer use an AirPort Extreme, I still had it installed. Verified it still works.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 26, 2020

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

AirPort utility still does a WiFi scan. Lists all BSSIDs with ESSIDs and signal strength. No cell phone towers though.

Even though I no longer use an AirPort Extreme, I still had it installed. Verified it still works.

How do you get it to do that, mine just sits at the screen with an image of "Internet" with a green dot.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Generic Monk posted:

if they’re anything like the beatsx the sound quality is totally fine, though the build quality is a bit flimsy. they tend to break after about a year

i have the airpods pro now but i have no regrets using the beatsx, they were super convenient

How do the air pods pro compare to the beats x? Thinking about making the leap

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

god this blows posted:

How do you get it to do that, mine just sits at the screen with an image of "Internet" with a green dot.

Upper right corner of screen where it says "WiFi Scan"

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Upper right corner of screen where it says "WiFi Scan"

Weird I don’t have that button

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

god this blows posted:

I still show my old AirPort Extreme even though it hasn't been online in over a year (it just shows as "offline"). Maybe that's part of the secret sauce? Having it originally is what "unlocks" the app functionality? It seems like an odd requirement since the scan uses the phone.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

I still show my old AirPort Extreme even though it hasn't been online in over a year (it just shows as "offline"). Maybe that's part of the secret sauce? Having it originally is what "unlocks" the app functionality? It seems like an odd requirement since the scan uses the phone.

Must be the secret sauce. Shame I don't have my old one anymore.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So how do you shoot in Apple ProRaw on the 12 Pro? Can't seem to figure that one out

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Astro7x posted:

So how do you shoot in Apple ProRaw on the 12 Pro? Can't seem to figure that one out

it's not available yet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

god this blows posted:

Settings -> Airport Utility -> Wi-Fi Scanner

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MrNonacho posted:

Kick rear end. Good find.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there any way to check if your current plan is 5G capable from outside a 5G area? Like a service menu etc?

I'm not close enough to any to check that way, but Rogers consistently fucks up with my corporate plan so I'm curious if they set it up right.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

MrNonacho posted:

Hell yeah, thanks. Dumb that third party apps got blocked from doing this.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Finally found a 600 MHz signal to try and it does what it is supposed to do. 4-5x faster than (presumably very congested) 5mbps LTE while I stand in line to vote

Nice to see it in action 🤷🏻‍♂️

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

prom candy posted:

How do the air pods pro compare to the beats x? Thinking about making the leap

They really don’t. The Pros are so much better for loads of reasons.

I loved my Beats X (got them for under $100 though) but they’ve been given to my S/O because my AirPod pros are just so much better.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Inner Light posted:

For those that care MKBHD's 12 review is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1b3C2081-Q

My boy getting 1 million views in a few hours, I've been with him since the beginning. Crisp as ever.

I wish the Pro and Regular reviews were one and the same but whatever, waiting to see the Pro one.

That aluminum side looks slick. I really wish there was a 12 that had aluminum sides and a telephoto lens. Don’t give a poo poo about lidar (yet anyway).

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

MarcusSA posted:

They really don’t. The Pros are so much better for loads of reasons.

I loved my Beats X (got them for under $100 though) but they’ve been given to my S/O because my AirPod pros are just so much better.

Good to hear, thanks! I think my beats will go to my wife as well, she's using $20 Ali express buds right now and probably irradiating her ear holes.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
the lidar setup is awesome

instead of sending photos of my cat now i can send AR scan of my cat loafing to my friends and family and it will open their camera app to place my cat around their house

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

MrNonacho posted:

OK, you're my hero!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

coke posted:

the lidar setup is awesome

instead of sending photos of my cat now i can send AR scan of my cat loafing to my friends and family and it will open their camera app to place my cat around their house

...how do I do this?

coke
Jul 12, 2009
use this app

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/3d-scanner-app/id1419913995

i found using high res and adjust the scanning distance to 0.4m to ensure better quality and filter out the extra background being scanned, also move in a slow/steady motion around the cat

then go to the list of scans you did and do 'share' and usdz and copy/send directly via imessage

they can now open it with the ar/camera app and move up and close to your cat in their house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Weedle posted:

it's not available yet

As I was reading it, I thought it was gonna say for an absurd amount of money.